• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5cm or 6GT for noob

TacticalChihuahua

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2020
San Diego
Want to start shooting PRS and looking at the PPR and the RPR custom shop. The PPR is in 6GT and the RPR I could do in 6.5.

Which would you steer me towards and why? Love the look and feel of the traditional manners stock and GAP is just an epic company. I can’t reload easily in my current living situation so will be buying factory. Seems like GT is easy to get as of now?

Barrel life is also a consideration but hearing mixed things about GT and some people reporting good barrel life?

Reactions: Ziggy12
Factory Creedmoor ammo is going to be much more readily available IMHO, so there's your decision on caliber. As far as platform, you really should try before you buy, see what feels and fits you best, and has the options you are looking for (adjustable comb, Length of pull, etc.)

If you can get to a competition in your area, many participants will let you get behind their firearms and may even let you send a few down range during sight in/dope check.

Good deals can occasionally be found in the PX on used firearms.

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
IME the GT has less recoil than the CM, which makes spotting impacts and misses that much easier. The GT also uses about 20% less powder than the CM, so when you get to reloading it will cost 20% less for powder than the CM. YMMV

If money is no concern to you, get the GT. It's better for competition, but will go through barrels faster.

That's all it would come down to if I was debating the same thing. Also, why buy a Ruger when you can afford a GAP? That's another reason to go with the GT.

Look in the PX and you will find some great deals. I would not buy a rifle now that you can't get shouldered prefit barrels for especially with the UPS and Fed Ex BS with shipping. No reason to send an action out to get barreled now. If you can afford a GAP I would not be getting a Ruger. You can order an action, stock, barrel, trigger and brake and put it together at home if you wanted also.

Caliber, either of those will work for you getting into the sport. You are new and won't know the difference. I would not worry about either. Find the one that you can buy ammo for easily and get that one. You will shoot the barrel out so don't get overly worried if you want something later that's different.

• Wow
Reactions: MakeSawdust
Look in the PX and you will find some great deals. I would not buy a rifle now that you can't get shouldered prefit barrels for especially with the UPS and Fed Ex BS with shipping. No reason to send an action out to get barreled now. If you can afford a GAP I would not be getting a Ruger. You can order an action, stock, barrel, trigger and brake and put it together at home if you wanted also.

Caliber, either of those will work for you getting into the sport. You are new and won't know the difference. I would not worry about either. Find the one that you can buy ammo for easily and get that one. You will shoot the barrel out so don't get overly worried if you want something later that's different.
Are you able to get prefit barrels for both of those rifles? How would I know this hunting around on the PX? Gotta excuse my ignorance but not super educated on some of this…

Are you able to get prefit barrels for both of those rifles? How would I know this hunting around on the PX? Gotta excuse my ignorance but not super educated on some of this…

They do make them for the Ruger but do yourself a favor and don't get it. Get a rifle with a 700 footprint and can take 700 triggers and chassis/stocks. You will be happier in the long run.

And most custom actions now will accept a shouldered prefit. If you wanted to use a Savage style barrel nut then most will do that but I like the ease of shouldered.

That gt from gap shoots lights out I own one. Would not hesitate to buy another one.

Honestly, I would consider the Creedmoor just because of availability of factory ammo. yes there is factory 6gt ammo but is it readily available? Or just learn to reload ASAP. I ran the 6.5 and it had great splash on misses but gave a ton of recoil in comparison to the GT. I am running the 6gt now and love it. Another thing to consider is if you plan on reloading make sure you can get either Varget or H4350 those are the preferred powders for the calibers.

If you can afford the GAP I wouldn't consider the Ruger. Or just get a custom Remington 700 action. Im a huge fan of Terminus prefit barrels are easily to be had. got your stock or chassis of choice etc.

I'd get a 6cm. Factory ammo and it will shoot with anything out there, and has minimal recoil. If you run it super hard then it's a barrel burner but not any more than a 6gt. If you run a 6cm at 2900-2950 the barrel life is not an issue. Get an action that has a lot of used pre fits available in the px and it's gravy. Origin is a great choice.

Reactions: Rob01
Having gone down this path before with a RPR when I first started my suggestion is to get an action that is patterned off the Rem 700 and has prefit barrels available, and drop it in whatever stock or chassis you like. By sticking with the Rem 700 pattern you’re going to have way more options for chassis/stocks, triggers, etc. than if you were to go with a RPR.

The other thing to consider is barrels are consumables, they all wear out at some point. Area 419 has a video where they talk about building a semi-custom rifle for the first timer. They recommend going with 6.5CM to start with and after you shoot 2.5-3K rounds and the barrel is shot out you’ll have a better idea of what you want for your next barrel -but the action, trigger, chassis will be the same. Since you’re not reloading yet, you’re not married to one caliber with dies and reloading components.

Check out Altus’ website. They offer a number of reputable actions and they also offer prefit barrels. Then go to a match and check out what other people are using as far as chassis and stocks and maybe they’ll let you get hands on to see if the ergonomics fit you.

I just competed in my first PRS match last weekend with a 6GT I got from the PX here. I got the bulk ammo from Clays Cartridge Company.

I went down a similar rabbit hole recently. Long story short, I settled on a Terminus Zeus action with the "Quick Change" barrel option. It's about as easy as it gets to put together, especially for a first-timer like me. You hand-screw the barrel on until it stops and then tighten two set screws on the action. The only tool you need, if you don't already have, is a small torque wrench (Wheeler FAT torque wrench ~$60). I bought two barrels (6.5 cm and .308) that I can swap in a minute.

Also, it's a 700 footprint, so you can run pretty much whatever chassis/trigger/etc that you like. I already had some Rem 700 parts that I swapped over. My thought process was to go big on the action and grow the rifle over time, as budget (read: wife) allows.

Just an option. Good luck amigo!

Reactions: Jeff 6.5
I went down a similar rabbit hole recently. Long story short, I settled on a Terminus Zeus action with the "Quick Change" barrel option. It's about as easy as it gets to put together, especially for a first-timer like me. You hand-screw the barrel on until it stops and then tighten two set screws on the action. The only tool you need, if you don't already have, is a small torque wrench (Wheeler FAT torque wrench ~$60). I bought two barrels (6.5 cm and .308) that I can swap in a minute.

Also, it's a 700 footprint, so you can run pretty much whatever chassis/trigger/etc that you like. I already had some Rem 700 parts that I swapped over. My thought process was to go big on the action and grow the rifle over time, as budget (read: wife) allows.

Just an option. Good luck amigo!
And, forgot to add the whole point I was getting to.... Go 6.5 cm to start. I can find ammo for it. I rarely see factory GT stuff in stores. If you go the switch barrel route, you could get another barrel and have both for a lot cheaper than two rifles.

If you go 6mm CM, and begin handloading, it will be easy to find a handload that is accurate and approximates 6GT velocities to save the throat in the barrel.

Ouch, at the $49 price. Is it that much worth it over the Hornady ammunition at $36?
considering it's still hornady bullet and brass i'd say no def not

with 6CM/6.5CM and berger ammo you have the added cost...but also berger bullets and lapua brass to reload/sell

Here’s the solution. GAP builds their rifles in 6GT, but they will ship you a barrel of another caliber with the rifle. Get a 6CM, get your feet wet, see how you like it and then you have a brand new 6GT barrel to use when you get serious. If Precision Rifle turns out to not be your cup of tea, then you have a nice rifle with a brand new barrel to sell.

Ended up with the GAP in 6GT. Got it used here on the PX. Really happy with the deal I got. Package deal - rifle with 310rds through it that had arca, flush cups, muzzle brake, like new vortex razor hd2 4.5-27, warne one piece mount, throw lever, level ring, flip up shades, and 400 rounds of Hornady match. So I’m pretty much good to go!!

Reactions: R_A_W and Misfit_
Ended up with the GAP in 6GT. Got it used here on the PX. Really happy with the deal I got. Package deal - rifle with 310rds through it that had arca, flush cups, muzzle brake, like new vortex razor hd2 4.5-27, warne one piece mount, throw lever, level ring, flip up shades, and 400 rounds of Hornady match. So I’m pretty much good to go!!
That’s damn near the deal I got too! Just no scope. That’s a real good score

Reactions: Andrew863
I'm going to jump in here and say you should just start reloading. If you are on a budget, just get a full length sizing die, a seating die, a Lee challenger press, the Lee case trimming set up, and a used chargemaster.

You can win matches with that reloading setup. If money is no object, obviously you can buy better stuff, but you do not need even $1k in reloading equipment for prs. A lot of us have stupid money wrapped up in this sport, but reloading equipment is the last place to invest unless you make gobs of $$$ so time is worth more than $$$. A lot of guys that are good will say you need this and that. It's because we love this. I started on a meager budget and quit a job I loved to make more money to play prs. You only know for sure if you like it after you get into it.

What you need to be successful is a gun that will shoot .3s-.4s for 200 rounds without cleaning and control over the ammo variation. You also want to minimize recoil to maximize what you see down range. I would invest money in this order:

Ammo/components
Training/range time
Scope
Barrel/chamber job

The rest is gravy. One thing I will stress. You hear the 3 Bs, brass, barrels, and bullets. For the easy button to a rifle that will allow you to be competitive, don't skimp there. The only cheap bullets right now anyway are Hornady BTHP Match. They will get you there if you get a good lot and sort by oal. Bergers are easy, just take them out of the box and seat them. If you have the means, buy enough components to burn out the barrel when you screw it on the action.

Practice will get you way further than gear in prs. I would shoot a savage rifle with a $1000 scope to afford to practice a lot if needed.

Lastly, this has already been stated, but if you can afford it, buy the good stuff. If you decide you want out, you can sell it to the rest of us fools for little to no loss in the px.