• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5CR load check

EchoDeltaSierra

Slightly above average
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2013
Minnesota
I wanted to take pause for a sanity check:

Rifle: Remington 700 with 22" 5R barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor and SilencerCo ASR brake

Load: 140gr Hornady ELD over 42.1gr H4350 in Nosler brass with CCI BR-2 primers.

These shoot around 2640fps measured by a Magnetospeed with single digit S-Ds and 1/2 minutes if I'm doing my part. I've pushed up to 42.7gr which gets around 2700fps though as I move much above 2650, my S-D is 15-20 (or more).

Just looking for some final feedback before I load up a full set of 300 pieces and switch the bench to a different caliber.

I wanted to take pause for a sanity check:

Rifle: Remington 700 with 22" 5R barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor and SilencerCo ASR brake

Load: 140gr Hornady ELD over 42.1gr H4350 in Nosler brass with CCI BR-2 primers.

These shoot around 2640fps measured by a Magnetospeed with single digit S-Ds and 1/2 minutes if I'm doing my part. I've pushed up to 42.7gr which gets around 2700fps though as I move much above 2650, my S-D is 15-20 (or more).

Just looking for some final feedback before I load up a full set of 300 pieces and switch the bench to a different caliber.

How many rounds down the barrel? Seems pretty normal, u using fl die or fl bushing die?

About 450 rounds overall. I’m bumping my shoulders back 3 thousandths, sizing the neck with a bushing, and pulling a layman carbide floating expander ball through. Length on brass is consistent, and I’m annealing.

Let me know your thoughts on the nosler brass just got 100 hopeing they are better then the hornady i was using before

How many firings did you get from the Hornady? I just did my 4th loading with one of the lots of 50.

Im on my 6th reloading just anneled them primer pockets are still good just wasnt getting the consistancy i wanted

That is the main thing I’m questioning; the velocity for the barrel length.

2 thoughts on this.. If you look in the loading section here, you'll see lots of guys posting up velocities of 2800~ish with 24-26" barrels using 42-42.5 H4350. Seems to be a node for MANY rifles. So your 2650 is probably on par for your barrel. But every barrel is different. Dont get hung up on that.

Secondly, as you said you pushed up in charge and the numbers started to open up. You can always keep pushing to try and find a higher node, but I bet you'll run into pressure issues before you find the accuracy. Again, dont get hung up. Accuracy kills, not speed. If its safe and accurate... RUN with it.

As a side note, I have a 20" Tikka CTR. With 147ELD using RE16 in Lapua brass Im getting 2650 fps. Same load in my DTA with a 30" barrel is 2950. RE16 is definitely king for more velocity. So you may want to try some down the road if the speed is something you desire, but in the end, its all about accuracy. Hope that helps...

Reactions: EchoDeltaSierra
My load on a 23” criterion is 42 4350 and it’s 2740 with stupid low es sd. I also have a rl 17 load to push them to 2850 but I don’t shoot many of those because they are def too hot. They shoot good but unless I’m reaching out past 1000 there is no need to push that hard. I’d say your speed is fine if you aren’t trying to get way out there. You will def wish for more speed if you get out past 900-1000.

Reactions: EchoDeltaSierra