• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos 6.5mm-08 Imp.

Re: 6.5mm-08 Imp.

The fluting is an option from Brux. The pluses are that it sure cools well, and it looks pretty cool too.
I'm not sure I'd go that route again. For the $$ standard fluting would be fine for me.
Then again, I've not seen another one like it first hand.

B

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: khall540</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love the fluting on the barrel.</div></div>

+1

Very nice setup. What bullet/powder combo are you planning to shoot?

yes, i haven't seen many barrels with this type of fluting. only one person @ the range i frequent has this type of barrel!! very nice!!!

The main reason I call it a 6.5-08 improved instead of a 260 improved is that this is based on the original 6.5-08 A-Square, and that's what it says on my reamer print. That and it sounds cooler.
For what its worth we could call it a 6.5-08 A-Square, 6.5-243 Imp., 260 Ackley, 260 Imp., 260 AI, etc., etc.
Also note that, if I remember correctly, QuickLoad lists the max pressure at 55k for the 260 and 61k for the 6.5-08.

I had this reamer cut with a long freebore to accommodate long bullets. I wanted to be able to seat them out so as to provide for as much space for powder as I could get. A loaded Berger 140 HPBT LR is 3.065", a VLD is 3" to the lands. I've got a new box of the Berger 140 gr. Hybrids that I haven't tried yet. I've taken some measurements and they will just touch the lands at 3.033".

B

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kanej</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The fluting is very distinctive. Any troubles with it? </div></div>

No troubles with the fluting at all. If you were shooting a hot cartridge I'd highly recommend it as it cools very well. The down side would be that it is a bitch to clean. I can't see this working well on a rifle that spends a lot of time in the field.

B

The interrupted fluting paired with that stainless is AWESOME! Great looking rifle.

Sweet looking stick.I order the same barrel from Bruxs for my 338 Norma build they are real "sweeeet" looking barrels

Nice rig. How is the recoil with the cartridge? I have a 7mm Rem currently that beats me to death and destroys these tiny whitetails out here. I'm looking into a new build and want a smaller caliber but will still reach out and touch something 1k yards or further.

Thanks

that skip fluting is some pretty nice stuff.. just some more ideas for a build.

I don't like recoil. It takes the fun out of shooting for me.

I was just having a discussion today with the boss about his 300 Win. Mag. and how great it was for elk and such. I don't disagree at all, but for a day at the range... no thank you.

This rifle loaded hot with 140 gr. bullets feels like it has about as much recoil as my 308 F/TR. I can easily shoot this all day.

There is a Brux 6.5 barrel on accurateshooter just like this i've been eying. Wasn't sure if it'd be a shooter, but looks like I might have to pick it up.