• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6.5mm 130 grain norma

Re: 6.5mm 130 grain norma

I have used them in the past and recently bought some more when I couldn't find any Berger 130's when I needed them. Moly'd them myself.

Here's what I can tell you. I am an F Class shooter, we use a 0.5 moa target. ( X ring 0,5 moa 10 ring 1.0 moa etc.)

Of the last 5 1000 yd matches I've shot (300 rounds - 5 60 shot matches) I averaged 93.6 percent of available points, lost points mainly due to still honing my wind and mirage skills. Thats 93.6% of 300 rounds in the 1 MOA 10 ring from 1000 yds, so the bullet is capable and deserves a look-see.

I'm using RPA Quadlock action, Bartlein 5R 30" 8 twist barrel chambered in .260 Rem. 48.5/H4831SC and CCI BR2. Chronos at 2935 FPS. (Standard disclaimers apply. YMMV)

They are a long bullet, longer bearing surface than the Berger 130 VLD, and overall as long as the Berger 140 VLD, so depending on your chamber's throat configuration it may be good or not so good.

Having said all of that, I have looked over my records and would say that my average scores have been higher using the Berger 140 VLD, but I didn't actually do the math for that one, just took a quick glance.

Paul

Real world BC is in the .560 neighborhood. I used them in a 6.5 x 284. The test I did was with the powder charge that was my accuracy load for the 142 gr. SMK load. All I did was seat the 130 gr. Norma's on top of the of the same powder charge. I fired 5 rds. @ 1,000 yards & then fired 5 of the 142 gr. SMK's. The 130's were 2 MOA's higher on the target. While it is only 5 rds. it impressed.
Semper Fi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 95LTZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Real world BC is in the .560 neighborhood. I used them in a 6.5 x 284. The test I did was with the powder charge that was my accuracy load for the 142 gr. SMK load. All I did was seat the 130 gr. Norma's on top of the of the same powder charge. I fired 5 rds. @ 1,000 yards & then fired 5 of the 142 gr. SMK's. The 130's were 2 MOA's higher on the target. While it is only 5 rds. it impressed.
Semper Fi </div></div>

Wow!
The 130 Norma would have to have a higher BC than .56 to be 2MOA higher than the 142gr SMK, which has a pretty well verified BC in the 0.59 level. If we assume a 140gr JLK VLD (w/ a BC of 0.63) is going the same velocity as the SMK's, it would be about 2 MOA above the 142gr SMKs.
Sounds like the Norma's are hammers!