• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x47 Build

jpistolero02

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2008
Austin, TX
I just about have everything together for a new hunting/plinking rig. I just picked up a barrel from another hide member. It's a Bartlein 1:8 contoured in Whitley Palma. I am just torn on what length to cut it. I want it handy enough to hunt with. Could I get away with a 22" or 24" barrel?

I posted the same thing on accurate shooters and the replies made it sound like 1:8 was not good. I thought that would be best for 130-140 grain bullets.

Look at Bob Lee's thread about his most recent (he has about a hundred of em) Gradous build in the same caliber. He went short for handiness but I cant recall how short. Appears it shoots more than fine and he is getting good velocities IIRC.

Look at Bob Lee's thread about his most recent (he has about a hundred of em) Gradous build in the same caliber. He went short for handiness but I cant recall how short. Appears it shoots more than fine and he is getting good velocities IIRC.

Did I hear my name??? :)

16.5" 6.5x47L

Velocity with 100gr Scenars & Varget:

Velocity with 136gr Scenars & Varget:

I posted the same thing on accurate shooters and the replies made it sound like 1:8 was not good. I thought that would be best for 130-140 grain bullets.

Who told you 8 twist wasn't good for 130-140gr 6.5mm bullets? They are wrong, it is very close to optimal.

If you are hunting and want handy, go 22". 2800fps for the 130gr VLD easy w/o pressure. That is a very nice hunting setup. A 24"'er would add 50fps to the 22"'s 2800. A 26"'er would add another 50fps. The difference in 100fps is not important to the game you hit, whereas the 4" shorter barrel will have a huge impact on the comfort of the rifle in the field.

I'm currently having a 6.5 Creedmoor hunting/target type rifle built. The barrel length will be 18" and I will run a suppressor 100% of the time. I expect to have a 500 yard deer rifle.

I have a 24" barrelled 6.5x47 and I get 2825fps with 123gn scenars and varget. I've tried 130 bergers and can get them to about the same speeds but they are a lot more expensive round here and a bit harder to get.

Bergers are great - but so are 120 ballistic tips and 130 Accubonds. Both will reach plenty far and act right as the reach n destroy vitals ;) My 47 is 22.5. My next will be 21....long tubes no issue at the range but I like handy sticks for hunting. Bob understands :)

22" Bartlein 5R 1:8 twist here and I get 2725fps w/ Berger 140gr Hunting VLD's and 39.5gr of IMR 4350.

Last edited:
If its for hunting mainly and you may run a suppressor, go 22in. Considering your from Texas, I really don't understand what the issue is with having a 28in. barrel. You aren't going to be in the Alabama swamps and thickets or similar are you? If you just want it short to feel handy, than go with 22in. and don't give the Tactical Cool guys any more thought. By the way I'm having a 6.5Lapua built as well right now. I'm thinking 25in. plus my 2in. muzzle brake makes 27in. I wished I could have that Whitley Palma though. Minds a Heavy Palma. What the hell though, right? Good luck

On another note... I have owned & loaded for multiple 6.5x47's (Barrels lengths / multiple contours) 27", 25.125", 22", 20" & 16.5".... Trust me when I tell you this, if you are going to hunt with this rifle from a tree stand and or just pick off critters from the edge of a field out to 700 yards, you will have no problem with the 16.5" while slinging the correct projectiles. I have personally blasted multiple whitetails, coyotes & groundhogs with my 16.5" rifle without issue (DRT).

I haven't had anything walk away from a dose of a 136 pill moving 2700 fps. yet.

BUT.....

If you are looking to put more energy on target at further distances with heavier projectiles, then proceed with the 6.5 SAUM, you won't be sorry!! (I personally own 2 of them... & 3100+ fps with 140's is easy).

But hey, what do I know ;)

Last edited:
If you are slinging 136gr-140gr at 2700 what may I ask is your load. Also how much velocity did you sacrifice if lets say you had a 27in. barrel with the same load. This is important to me because I want to be able to get 2850 all day long with my 6.5Lapua, so bad that I almost built a 6.5 Super LR/S, to be sure I could get that velocity and more. I'm curious at what length does the Lapua start really dropping velocity. In other words at what length does it not gain as much when increasing length. I am currently cutting mine at 25in. but thought about 27in. I heard their was a node to hit that 27in.-28in. barrels seem to hit with no problem, if your looking for 2800-2850fps with 140gr. bullets. Thank you and would appreciate your experience with this round. Also the powder would be for H4350 and Varget, I know reloader will do it.
On another note... I have owned & loaded for multiple 6.5x47's (Barrels lengths / multiple contours) 27", 25.125", 22", 20" & 16.5".... Trust me when I tell you this, if you are going to hunt with this rifle from a tree stand and or just pick off critters from the edge of a field out to 700 yards, you will have no problem with the 16.5" while slinging the correct projectiles. I have personally blasted multiple whitetails, coyotes & groundhogs with my 16.5" rifle without issue (DRT).

I haven't had anything walk away from a dose of a 136 pill moving 2700 fps. yet.

BUT.....

If you are looking to put more energy on target at further distances with heavier projectiles, then proceed with the 6.5 SAUM, you won't be sorry!! (I personally own 2 of them... & 3100+ fps with 140's is easy).

But hey, what do I know ;)

I asked the above question about your stated velocity with that little barrel. What 16.5in.???
If you are slinging 136gr-140gr at 2700 what may I ask is your load. Also how much velocity did you sacrifice if lets say you had a 27in. barrel with the same load. This is important to me because I want to be able to get 2850 all day long with my 6.5Lapua, so bad that I almost built a 6.5 Super LR/S, to be sure I could get that velocity and more. I'm curious at what length does the Lapua start really dropping velocity. In other words at what length does it not gain as much when increasing length. I am currently cutting mine at 25in. but thought about 27in. I heard their was a node to hit that 27in.-28in. barrels seem to hit with no problem, if your looking for 2800-2850fps with 140gr. bullets. Thank you and would appreciate your experience with this round. Also the powder would be for H4350 and Varget, I know reloader will do it.

The OP is looking for something to kill with (ie. Hunt & plink), this thread isn't a what barrel length can get me the best velocity in a 6.5x47L thread. I can attest, that with the short 16.5" barrel of one of my 6.5x47L's I have accomplished both COMFORTABLY & RELIABLY on numerous occasions.

Can you get more velocity out of a longer barrel, YES.. Is it more cumbersome to maneuver a longer barrel in tight quarters (ie. a blind, hunting shack, tree stand or hide) YES!

Will the shortest of the short barreled 6.5x47L's perform with more than enough horse power for the intended purpose... YES!

WITHOUT A DOUBT, IT HAS & I'VE DONE IT!

For all intended purposes, would you be willing to take a dose of 136 Scenar at 1200 yards to the chest from a 16.5" 6.5X47L? I WOULDN'T!!

Believe me, I have administered my fair share of pills on game & AR500 with this rifle & I have seen the results with my own eyes!

This 16.5" 6.5x47L quickly became my "go to" rifle and always finds its way into the trunk of my car on EVERY shooting session I attend. I can certainly say that out of all my custom rifles this one gets the most use. As a matter of fact, I had it out this afternoon messing with 123 AMAX's & Varget. (For ground hogs out to 300 yards). Velocity readings to follow on Monday..

Thanks so much guys. I do quite a bit of box blind hunting in Texas, so a long barrel can be tricky to swing. I also want to have something that can reach out to 1K when I am having some range fun. I will probably do something around 22" as a compromise.

6.5x47 Build

A stub nose 6.5mm will have ZERO issues shooting to 1000.

A 123 SMK @ 2700 fps (easily achieved from 16.5" as shown here) has a drop of 10.4 mils and a drift of 2.6 mils @ 1000yd (500' ASL, 59f, 29.92Hg, 0% RH).

Last edited:
i went with a 26 inch barrel , my old was 22.

picked up speed and did not have to load to hot of a load for it. i am right under 2900 FPS with 37.5 grains of varget pushing 130 VLD's. i was running 38.2 grains of varget with the old rifle and was getting around 2840 FPS. my brass is alot happier.

i went with a 26 inch barrel , my old was 22.

picked up speed and did not have to load to hot of a load for it. i am right under 2900 FPS with 37.5 grains of varget pushing 130 VLD's. i was running 38.2 grains of varget with the old rifle and was getting around 2840 FPS. my brass is alot happier.

Were you getting pressure signs with the 38.2gr. load? Interesting... The below pictured brass was from a 40.0gr. charge of Varget, topped with a 100gr Scenar @ 2920fps.

yeah, i was getting pressure signs at 38.2 and 38.5. not major ones but i was getting extractor marks. the primers looked fine. i ran with the 38.2 with 130 VLD load with my old rifle because it grouped and shot the best.

the new rifle has a longer barrel and shorter chamber . so less powder and faster speed.

Bob,
What bullets have you used on deer with what results. I shot out a few 6.5x284's in the past but I'm currently using different bullets in my 47L. I want to start culling with this rifle but never put a 140 Hybrid to fur. Correct that deer body fur.

On another Note"".. .. .
The OP is looking for something to kill with (ie. Hunt & plink), this thread isn't a what barrel length can get me the best velocity in a 6.5x47L thread. I can attest, that with the short 16.5" barrel of one of my 6.5x47L's I have accomplished both COMFORTABLY & RELIABLY on numerous occasions.

Can you get more velocity out of a longer barrel, YES.. Is it more cumbersome to maneuver a longer barrel in tight quarters (ie. a blind, hunting shack, tree stand or hide) YES!

Will the shortest of the short barreled 6.5x47L's perform with more than enough horse power for the intended purpose... YES!

For all intended purposes, would you be willing to take a dose of 136 Scenar at 1200 yards to the chest from a 16.5" 6.5X47L? I WOULDN'T!!

Believe me, I have administered my fair share of pills on game & AR500 with this rifle & I have seen the results with my own eyes!

This 16.5" 6.5x47L quickly became my "go to" rifle and always finds its way into the trunk of my car on EVERY shooting session I attend. I can certainly say that out of all my custom rifles this one gets the most use. As a matter of fact, I had it out this afternoon messing with 123 AMAX's & Varget. (For ground hogs out to 300 yards). Velocity readings to follow on Monday..

Yea your right about what this thread was for, but you know what?? Some people have the gift of "gab" and know how to work a conversation around a specific topic and at the same time wined up in the same place. Just a thought. Sarcastic remarks at someone that didn't make one, "to start", is for humanoids with splits between their legs.

Hey, I'm glad we could help you. I grew up hunting all my life and have been around some professional hunters. "Have you ever seen a professional hunter with a short barrel rifle??? That's for a reason. Some people don't care about the bottom line when it comes to Terminal Performance of a projectile. So, what I would like you to do is research different bullet impacts into ballistic gelatin. Look at the effects of a certain bullet, into that gelatin, at various velocities. Me telling you that barrel length is important (because of max. velocity obtained) is relevant. As he kindly stated "you are looking for something to kill with", right? Well why don't you "kill" as efficiently as possible?
Thanks so much guys. I do quite a bit of box blind hunting in Texas, so a long barrel can be tricky to swing. I also want to have something that can reach out to 1K when I am having some range fun. I will probably do something around 22" as a compromise.

I'm glad V Bulletin software includes an "Ignore User" feature.

BullyDog, please add me to your ignore list also.

Thanks.

Oh, I think you're making the right choice going with 22in. You will have more fun with it and it want be for just cool points. When you hold a short barrel rifle in your hands, the handiness is all you notice or shall we say feel. Yea, your buddies may say cool or it looks pretty. That's all. So, to compromise like you said you were doing, I will do the same and tell you to not go shorter than 18.5in. That is a good old fashion standard "hunting carbine length." Oh, also, I see Texas approved suppressors for hunting, your going to really have fun with this gun suppressed on Javelina if you have them where you are. Good Luck, BullyDog

I have 2. One is 25" long and the other is 18". Same 130 gr Berger load for both gets me 2850fps on the 25" and 2650fps on the 18". My 95gr Vmax load will get 3000fps out of the 18" rifle.

25" target gun

18" hunting gun

I need to go touch myself now!!! That's a thing of beauty pyplynr!!! I like all the darkness to it! I got a 90% Carbon Shell stock, but same exact model. What is that OD Green medal?? She's pretty man!!! Damn, that would be 28.5fps an in. added. That's cool!! Thank You
I have 2. One is 25" long and the other is 18". Same 130 gr Berger load for both gets me 2850fps on the 25" and 2650fps on the 18". My 95gr Vmax load will get 3000fps out of the 18" rifle.

25" target gun

18" hunting gun

I need to go touch myself now!!! That's a thing of beauty pyplynr!!! I like all the darkness to it! I got a 90% Carbon Shell stock, but same exact model. What is that OD Green medal?? She's pretty man!!! Damn, that would be 28.5fps an in. added. That's cool!! Thank You

Thanks for the compliments. The barreled action on my hunting gun is OD Duracoat. My target rifle is FDE Ceracote. Both stocks were painted by Todd Jackson.

And the 18" barrel with a 130 Berger has no problem putting em down right there. This was at 300 yards. I would take the same combo to 600 yards.

Last edited:
How do ya'll get videos through your scopes? I'm bout to answer my own question. I know they make devices but what's recommended? I can get some awesome videos for us at my place if I can afford whatever it is. I'm talking about cranial shots on hogs. The thing is, you going to have to walk me through up loading it on here then. Lol I'll load some Speer TNT rounds or something like that and deliver some red mist on cam!

25" target gun

18" hunting gun

on ur hunting rig: are u running a rem nut or is that a shilen DGR?

the barrel is from Criterion and I got the barrel nut from Jim @ Northland Shooter Supply. I sent the action, recoil lug, and barrel nut to Darkeagle and he trued everything and cut the relief in the action for the recoil lug tab.