• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x47 Lapua firing pin modification?

nic_bravo_whiskey

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2008
El Paso, Texas
Hey all. I am building a Rem 700 in 6.5x47. While researching here on the hide, I read about possible problems due to this round using a small rifle primer. The firing pin should be modified, but I did not understand how. Can someone please shed some light on this for me? Thanks.

Re: 6.5x47 Lapua firing pin modification?

The 6x47 uses a small rifl primer. The firing pins are different diameter between rifles that use small rifle primers and those that use large rifle primers. The 6x47 case head, however, is the same as the .308 win family of cartridges which use large primers.

A smith will turn down the firing pin, and bush the bolt which essentially involves drilling and threading a hole in the face of the bolt where the firing pin hole is and istalling a threaded insert back in that has a firing pin hole drilled for the smaller firing pin hole.

Gre-tan is known for doing good bolt bushing work with a fast turn-around time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darrenk75b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 6x47 uses a small rifl primer. The firing pins are different diameter between rifles that use small rifle primers and those that use large rifle primers. The 6x47 case head, however, is the same as the .308 win family of cartridges which use large primers.

A smith will turn down the firing pin, and bush the bolt which essentially involves drilling and threading a hole in the face of the bolt where the firing pin hole is and istalling a threaded insert back in that has a firing pin hole drilled for the smaller firing pin hole.

Gre-tan is known for doing good bolt bushing work with a fast turn-around time. </div></div>

Awesome reply. I completely understand now. My next question would have been who does that work, but you already answered that. Thank you.

Do you have a 6x47 or a 6.5x47?

I have fired about 1000round in my Remington 700 with my 6.5x47 Krieger barrel with a non-modified firing pin and now about 1000 rounds with the same barrel in my TRG22 still with the original firing and I haven´t had one single issue with primers so I would say save your money and use them on ammo instead.

Here's a visual...

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1517320

smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lill-rambo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have a 6x47 or a 6.5x47?

I have fired about 1000round in my Remington 700 with my 6.5x47 Krieger barrel with a non-modified firing pin and now about 1000 rounds with the same barrel in my TRG22 still with the original firing and I haven´t had one single issue with primers so I would say save your money and use them on ammo instead. </div></div>

I'm building a 6.5x47. I did notice that he replied 6x47, but I have read about the 6.5 needing the modification. Either way, its the same mod. From your post, I'm wondering if I should wait to see if I have the problem, or just do it from the get go.

Try it out first at see if you have to fix it. I know mine works, have fired it +30C and -28C and haven´t had any problems yet they only thing that didn´t like the -28C was my S&B PMII
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lill-rambo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try it out first at see if you have to fix it. I know mine works, have fired it +30C and -28C and haven´t had any problems yet they only thing that didn´t like the -28C was my S&B PMII
grin.gif
</div></div>

I think I might try it first. Funny how I read a lot how small rifle primers don't like cold weather, but it was the S&B that didn't.

Hmmm.....if you look at mfg part #'s for say the Remington 700, Tikka T3, Savage,etc. They all show the same firing pin for the .223 case (small rifle primer ) or the .308 size case (large rifle primer). So I am thinking it will work just fine.

Send the bolt out to GreTan gunsmith in CO, google it and he will bush your firing pin and fit the firing pin to the hole for little money with quick turnaround.

The 6.5 x 47 L causes some woes with pierced primers on some factory guns and yes it depends on how you load it. I have shot about 5,000 rounds in my Stillers and even thought they have a tighter tolerance on the firing pin I still get very flat primers and cratering with moderate loads. Quite a few F-class shooters I shoot with also use the 6.5L out to 1,000 yards and have had similar results. You can also go over to 6mmBR and search their site and you will find examples of the same.

You might want to do yourself a favor and get a brick or two of Wolf Small Rifle Magnum primers. Wolf SRM have about the toughest cup out there and are very uniform, if you pierce those with a bushed primer you can assume you are above max.

Have Fun,

wade