• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 6.5x47 Lapua Reamer Help

slickyboyboo

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2011
I am building a lightweight 22" 6.5x47 Lapua for hunting, and need a bit of help on a reamer. I am planning on shooting Berger 130 gr AR Hybrids or 124 gr Hammer Hunters. Just trying to decide what freebore would be best, and the best reamer for the job.

Thanks in advance!

0.294 - 0.295" neck diameter for factory Lapua no-turn brass

Freebore would probably be best in the 0.135 - 0.150" range if you're going to exclusively use 120 - 130gr class bullets. Typical freebore for 140 Hybrids is 0.167", typical freebore for 140 ELDMs is 0.199". I believe Short Action Customs uses a 0.135" for an "all around" freebore, and Patriot Valley Arms uses a 0.145" freebore.

You could also call Berger up and ask specifically about the 130 AR Hybrids and see what they say.

I’ve shot everything out of a .124 fb reamer, and it works fine. I think that was the initial spec for the x47. I mostly shoot 120-130 grain bullets and it’s perfect there. If I throat out an additional .050, everything still works fine. The long neck gives you a bunch of wiggle room, and of course everything fits in the magazine.

Reactions: samb300