• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x55 Swede users?

For Sako's I got referred to this gentleman by GAP right when he left them to start his own thing. Moon has done 2 Sako's like this so far for me since. I have another in the works with him now but not Sako and with a 4th planned. And he did come highly recommended given the source.

L

Last edited:
I heard Tim does great work. I was origionally going to send it 10 min away to HART barrels, but they are 10 months out. I was going to send it to longrifles group buy to get it back before hunting season. Usually get 20 "brown its down" tags from the wineries.

My 6.5 Swede Ackley Improved build thus far from the AWT chassis review thread:

kMzoJgv.jpg

I was shooting Hornady and Sierra RN 160's at mild velocity from a sporting rifle length barrel.
I don't see the Matrix 160's offering much in a < '06 case.
With the hotter loads posted I wonder about case life and trimming frequency.
The case has candlestick taper.

With the hotter loads posted I wonder about case life and trimming frequency.
The case has candlestick taper.

I'm using Lapua brass and I'm now into my 7th round with a set of 300 cases. I f/l size and trim after each firing. I also anneal every other firing. Pockets are about to go though. I've had several this last round not feel right when I was seating the primers so I just set them aside.

L

Last edited:
I was curious about case life and trimming as well. Layton, I may adopt a regimen like you but I don't have a way to anneal.

PSG-1_sniper, what made you decide to go with an improved version? I have very much been on the fence about this as well due to case stretch. I read one post somewhere about the improved version that said, don't even bother buying a trimmer, you will never need it.

That was pretty appealing to me. The only down side I see is the custom dies.... guess you have to pay for it somewhere!

PSG-1... Where did you get your dies????

Last edited:
PSG-1_sniper, what made you decide to go with an improved version? I have very much been on the fence about this as well due to case stretch. I read one post somewhere about the improved version that said, don't even bother buying a trimmer, you will never need it.

That was pretty appealing to me. The only down side I see is the custom dies.... guess you have to pay for it somewhere!

PSG-1... Where did you get your dies????

Good questions.
I went with 6.5x55AI mainly because I already run a high fps accurate R700 6.5x55 build and am greedy so wanted my next custom build to be better in some way. So mainly my plan was to run 2" longer barrel and run the AI with even more powder than i have been running in my hot 6.5x55 to get barrel burning levels of FPS for my 1200 yard + target shooting.
The other main draw to me was the brass, I have heard the same thing over and over as well - basically no case stretch resulting in virtually no trimming. I have a lot of Norma brass and a decent amount of Remington and Horandy brass. Im planning on running my annealed 3-4 fired Norma brass in my new AI and seeing how long they will last then using the other brands in my 6.5x55 from now on. Norma isn't cheap so it will be a worthwhile experiment to me instead of just buying new brass since I have to fire-form it anyways.

I got my "REDDING 6.5MMx55 IMP 40^ FL SET 2-DIE CUSTOM,S/H#1" dies from Grafs, they were the only set they had. Redding will usually make about 2-6 of these sets a year for stock and grafs will pick them up from them about once a year never having more than 2 in stock or so it seems. I've seen RCBS dies in stock on some sites before as well (here are some Clymer spec ones Huntington Die Specialties :: Dies :: Reloading Dies - Group G H I J K L X (SO) :: 6.17 - 6.5 - 6.71mm :: 6.5x55 Ackley Improved 40° Jourdan (Clymer)), and as described on that page you can send RCBS your fired brass and they will make a custom set as low as $135 I've seen.

It's always going to be the more expensive route up front, had to pick up custom PTG floating reamer and obviously the Go gauge as well.

I was curious about case life and trimming as well. Layton, I may adopt a regimen like you but I don't have a way to anneal.

FYI, here's one of many threads about annealing by hand, just finger-holding the case in a propane torch flame or even a candle flame. re: quenching after annealing - 24hourcampfire I found it with a search for "anneal case candle" and got dozens of hits. So as cool as the annealing machines are (and who among us doesn't yearn for more cool stuff?) it looks like they're not absolutely necessary.

I can also attest to the turnaround time and apparent quality of the clean-and-anneal work of Killshot44 (Bob Ariana.) Ten cents a case plus shipping each way. My first batch was back in the mailbox 7 days after it was sent. See his (loooong) thread here http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...ing-annealing-snipers-hide-forum-members.html for more details.

I use the drill+deep socket+propane torch method. I dont even drop them in water anymore as quenching isnt needed on brass annealing (its not heat treating).

You look like you are just an action short of a trip to the gun smith....

My parts have already made the trip there and I think work has already begun but my delay is going to be the dies and stock (Work faster Manners!!!!). I am waiting on a call back from whidden gun works to finalize the dies but they are going to set me back a lot more than $135! They will be made straight off the reamer print though so I guess they are worth it. Wish I had known about Huntington sooner!

I am going to run Lapua brass in mine and really my goal is find a really accurate load in the 2950-3000fps range. I will do the majority of my shooting there but I am sure that I will find a good "hot rod" load as well. Wouldn't mind picking your brain a bit for load data once we get these things going.

The waiting is just me!!! I read this thread and can't help but squirm and drool.... LOL

Thanks for the info on annealing.... That is about as easy as it gets! I can pick up a propane torch on the way home from work tonight. Thanks wrangler5

You look like you are just an action short of a trip to the gun smith....

My parts have already made the trip there and I think work has already begun but my delay is going to be the dies and stock (Work faster Manners!!!!). I am waiting on a call back from whidden gun works to finalize the dies but they are going to set me back a lot more than $135! They will be made straight off the reamer print though so I guess they are worth it. Wish I had known about Huntington sooner!

I am going to run Lapua brass in mine and really my goal is find a really accurate load in the 2950-3000fps range. I will do the majority of my shooting there but I am sure that I will find a good "hot rod" load as well. Wouldn't mind picking your brain a bit for load data once we get these things going.

The waiting is just me!!! I read this thread and can't help but squirm and drool.... LOL

I am just an action away, waiting for the NWP group buy shipments.

Redding also has sent quotes if you send them a reamer print/drawing, but I think they are no longer doing that due to backups. RCBS might still do it.

Feel free to pick my brain via pm, I've done a lot of load development with RL22. Is you build 6.5x55 or 6.5x55AI?

Last edited:
I am doing a 6.5x55AI as well. My build is off a long action 700 that I bought new in 1984. It has been neglected for about 20 years so I thought it was time to breath some new life into it. I looked hard at that NWP group buy. That was a heck of a good deal!

I contacted redding but they are not doing any custom work right now. I thought your link to Huntington was about to save me a bunch of money... they had a full length sizer in their close out section for $59. I called to verify the dimensions before I ordered it but the guy said it was sold. Oh well... It is only money right?

Thanks for the offer on load info. I will send you a PM so we can quit highjacking this thread!

All this talk about new builds, AIs and me sitting here with an extra LA Model 70 is gonna end up costing me more money.

come on in and join the fun!!!! After all, it is only money....

Just FYI, order your dies ahead of your build. Just ordered mine and was told up to 15 weeks to get them. My build should be ready in about two more months. Guess I will have plenty of time to fire form some brass

EasyGravy, where are you finding the best price on Lapua brass right now? I can find it at about $75/100 but I have seen it cheaper. Care to share your source?? =)

I understand how the gun slush fund goes. Mine is usually ok until the wife finds out about it. Then all kind of expensive projects seem to come up! Funny how that works.... I will keep digging around for brass. I have got plenty of time and I swear I saw some somewhere at about $65/100.

Thanks!

That is a bit better
Thanks Layton

By the way, just saw your 6.5x55AI donor action sold. Congrats.... and I am sorry!

Just a good excuse to get a custom action

I am pretty sure a 6mm will be in my future as well. I Can't decide between the 6cm and the 6x47. That project is a bit down the road for me....

so many guns and so little time!

Come to think of it, I have never seen anything about a 6x55.... Bet it would be a rocket

I can share the PTG floating reamer if peeps want to get on the AI bus.

Rusty you'll have a PM inbound once I get off work.

I am about to head home myself so likely will be tomorrow sometime before I am on again. Thanks for the offer of the reamer. I already split the cost of one with my smith though.

I have a 96 Swede I got for $100 in 2002. I bend the bolt, drilled and tapped, and hunted with that rifle. [the date is under my scope mount]
I have a 38 Swede I got for $135 in 2004. I have not shot it. It looks kind of unfired. 1942
I have a 94 Swede I got for $80 in 2008. I have not shot it. I looks like someone really sporterized the stock. 1903
I have a 96 Swede I got for $130 in 2013. I have not shot it. 1912

I have a 260 Reamer and a 6.5-06 Reamer. I am more focuses on those rifles now. The American made 6.5x55mm brass is made on standard tooling and is closer to 0.4703" than 0.4770" that it should be.

Attachments

• 94 Swedish Mauser, 96, and 1934  2-1-2013.jpg
    94 Swedish Mauser, 96, and 1934 2-1-2013.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 33
I love my Swede but next go around will be an improved version. I hot rod the piss out of mine and trimming is a bit excessive. I am not operator as fuck, so a short action receiver isn't an absolute requirement. I simply repurposed an old shot out 30-06

Right now I am finishing up a box of 136 Scenars. Once those are gone I will switch back to the 139. A 139 Scenar at 3025fps flies a long ways, especially at my location in the high desert.
I use Lapua brass exclusively. I had an issue when the gun was first built where the extractor wouldn't fit over the rim of the brass. Lapua makes the brass to the correct dimensions which is a rim diameter of .480" where the .308 family stuff is all .473". A simple Sako extractor upgrade and everything is good. I could have had the bolt face opened up, but I opted for a different style extractor so if I ever switched away from the Swede I wouldn't need a new bolt.
I tried just about every powder under the sun and Rl-22 is by far the best. It's dirty, has big kernels that plug up my thrower, is super temperature sensitive even though it flat out shoots like nothing else.

I can't remember where but I read somewhere, don't bother buying a case trimmer because the cases don't stretch. Just load and shoot. That I am sure is exaggerated but you get the point

The standard 6.5x55 case has a good bit of taper to it which causes case "growth" especially if you run them hot. Trimming seems to be one of the biggest complaints with the standard case

In general on hot loads you're going from 5-6 reloads on Norma or Lapua brass to 8-11 with similarly hot loads. Some that run medium loads getting 11+

Look into Wildcat cartridges or search Ackley Imporved, an AI is nearly always formed from its parent brass cartridge - although some manufactures sell the brass already AI once it has caught on like 280AI.

You need to run custom dies, as talked about previously in this thread.

Just ordered 3. Thanks for the heads up [MENTION=71677]Backspace[/MENTION]

Cool, glad I could help. That looked like a stupid good deal on it. I just picked up a Stiller Tac 300 long action and I am starting to think a Swede is in my future with Lapua brass at that price.

Modern hunting rifle in a classic caliber like the Swede. Cheap Lapua brass..... What's not to love. I just really feel like I need to hit 2950 fps with the 140s to make it worthwhile over my 6.5 creedmoors that are running in the 2800s. Is anyone running the 130 hunting VLDs? What kind of speed could you expect with a 22-24" barrel.

Good find on that brass. I was just about to order more when I saw that. Got 4 boxes coming now.

Backspace, i have no experience with the 130s but I'd like to hear about those as well.

L

Last edited:
Hah, that page has been book marked on my browser for months. Holding out for more Norma tho.