• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x55 Swede users?

I knew I should have waited to post until I got home...I'm one of those guys who doesn't keep many pics of my kids on me either. My bad. I'll snap one tonight

Let's try these....

Last edited:
Vortex 6-24 starter scope...gotta get better glass
Welcome! This thread is starting to feel like a old favorite drinking hole where my drinkin' buddies can always be found, you're in good company.

Any reason you're not loving the PST? I have a couple and like them just fine, maybe even a lot. I have Leupolds and have shot with a few NF, Ziess, Bushnell DMR's and find no faults with the PST thus far, but that's just my opinion.

The pst, now that'd be a different story!...I'm not that lucky. I got a first gen Crossfire for a song so that's what I've been running. PST is def on the short list of what to get next. So is NF SHV. My buddy just got a 2.5-10NF and it's amazing quality, both in glass and construction. I'm open to suggestions as this is not a dedicated bench gun,more of a do-all that's too heavy to hike and hunt with.

The pst, now that'd be a different story!...I'm not that lucky. I got a first gen Crossfire for a song so that's what I've been running. PST is def on the short list of what to get next. So is NF SHV. My buddy just got a 2.5-10NF and it's amazing quality, both in glass and construction. I'm open to suggestions as this is not a dedicated bench gun,more of a do-all that's too heavy to hike and hunt with.

Oh, sorry I forgot the Crossfire had the same range.
The 4-14x56 NF SHV is a great buy if you can get one with the nicer reticle. A PST 4-16x50 is a great deal too, I just love the proportions of it. I hear the quality of glass may be different compared to the 6-24 tho.
And obviously, if you can find a Bushnell 3.5-21 G2 DMR for around $900-950 that would be a very good route as well.

Europtics has steiner 3x12x50 for $999

I sure wish you hadn't posted that..... That one has been killing me!

One other scope you might look into, Warkmeister, is the new Burris XTR II. I have heard good things and since I know someone who knows someone (the local Burris rep)..... Probably going to be trying one of them out shortly myself.

Just a heads up, Lapua brass went on clearance today from midway. I just picked up my 6.5x55 last week from the smith. Had 90 pieces and was going to gather some more funds but the price was too good to pass up. Figured I would let the other 6.5x55 shooters know.

Just a heads up, Lapua brass went on clearance today from midway. I just picked up my 6.5x55 last week from the smith. Had 90 pieces and was going to gather some more funds but the price was too good to pass up. Figured I would let the other 6.5x55 shooters know.

$58.99/100 thats even better than their previous clearance.
Lapua Reloading Brass 6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser Box of 100

I would jump on this, folks. Haven't seen it that low since Bush was in office. I have around 500 Norma cases, and even I picked up 300 of these.

Last edited:
Today I started checking the 140 grain Hornady SST bullet and RL22 powder for pressure. I went from 47 to 49 grains of powder and pressure seemed to be OK. Case head expanded .0007 inches on the 49 grain shot. The 49 grains of RL22 is the same as 140 grain Speer. The COAL with this SST bullet was 3.250 inches because this rifle has a typical 6.5X55 long throat.

Had to stop due to heavy rain so will start accuracy testing soon.

Regards, Keith

I used Redding until the decapping pin broke - it was doing okay. Switched to a LEE set after that and it was plain insufficient, wouldn't bump the shoulders back enough not matter what I did. I love my LEE .308 dies, but just didnt cut it for the Swede. Ended up with Lyman deluxe dies with the adjustable carbide expanding ball and really am kicking myself for not going this route first.
That said, my 6.5x55AI dies are redding because their are few options, so im hoping they work out well.

I FL or partial FL size.

Wanted to show off my 6.5x55 my buddy just finished up for me last week. Also had a question on load development. Rifle is
built on a savage 110 long action, shilen 8 twist barrel, ptg bottom metal, and modified the savage three screw trigger to what is shown, breaking just under 2 lbs. Now on the load development there seems to be data all over the board. I'm using 142 SMK's with reloader 22, and lapua brass, w/ a cci large rifle primer. I started low, at 44 gr, and worked my way up in increments to 49 gr jumping .010 on the SMK's. The target pictured is one shot for each powder charge. Was mainly shooting just to find a max load not for groups per say. At 49 gr there were still no signs of pressure. And I'm pretty satisfied with the grouping given there was a 5 gr difference in powder charge from start to finish. Now my question is how much further do I go? I have heard you get to a point with rl-22 that velocity no longer increases. Also it is a 29" barrel. I don't have a chrono yet so, sorry if there isn't enough info. Thanks for any advice as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    969.6 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Nelson,
In my rifle which is a off the shelf Model 70 49 grains of RL22 is the top and might be a little high with 2 different 140 grain bullets. When I went from 48 to 49 grains the case head expanded .0007 [7 ten thousands] inches. This is with old Norma brass.
My rifle has a very long throat for the 160 grain bullets that yours may not have. I would be very cautious going more than 49 grains.

Regards, Keith

My pet load is just north of 49 grains, and iv gone higher without pressure signs. MODERN ACTIONS ONLY. I wont post recipe, but ur welcome to pm me.
Theres no mathematical reason these casings should not hold up to 30-06 presures.

Sniper,
You are correct but when you start expanding the case head you are also expanding the primer pocket and your brass want last for very many shots.

Norma brass is noted to be soft so with a harder brass maybe my rifle could go a little higher.

Regards, Keith

Thanks for all the info. Gonna work around the 47-48 area. Used to not care about velocity, but was trying my hand shooting 77grn 223 rounds out to 800 and a little more, ranging with the reticle and a mildot master (practical long range or whatever you want to call it). When you look at the ballistics of that you really start to see where that extra 40 or so fps helps. I'll keep you all posted on load work up, work on my drop chart, and get an idea on velocity numbers. But so far I'm very impressed with this round.

Ladder test results. Shot this at 550 yards. Using 142SMK, rl22, lapua brass, and jumping .010" (3.115). Velocity is approximately 2850. Results seem a little inconclusive. Think I'm just going to use the 47.9 load, work with my oal a bit, and just shoot the thing.
Powder charge-
Blue- 47.0
Red- 47.3
Purple- 47.6
Silver- 47.9

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
No pressure signs. Just where is was seeing a node with my ocw test, just kind of a middle of the road load. So I wanted to try the ladder test and see how it looked with the same loads. Do I need to shoot at a further distance? I was under the impression they would be more distinct groups per charge weight.

550 yards should provide excellent feedback for you.

If you select the last load you tried (47.9) because it looked best, if no pressure signs I would also validate what a little faster does.
That way you know 1) where in node you are & 2) confirm it doesn't fall apart if a little faster on a hotter day (which has happened to me)

Just my thoughts.

I worked up a new load today with OCW that ended up being very similar to loads that others have suggested for 140 gr Berger Hybrids and H4831sc. Final load was 50.9 gr of powder, loaded to 2.483" to ogive. Shooting was done from a bipod and rear bag with a 24" bbl and TBAC 30-PS suppressor.

Overall, I was very satisfied with the results. 3 consecutive 5-shot groups averaging 0.5 MOA... that's the best I've ever done. Long live the Swede!!

16hits9.jpg

What bolt face did you have. I sure hope lapua fits my bolt face when it comes back. I sent a 30.06 action to get rechambered. Plus I hrabbed bunch of 4350 from powder valley the other day. [MENTION=1830]Tex[/MENTION]rex what type action you using that lapua brass didnt fit

What bolt face did you have. I sure hope lapua fits my bolt face when it comes back. I sent a 30.06 action to get rechambered. Plus I hrabbed bunch of 4350 from powder valley the other day. [MENTION=1830]Tex[/MENTION]rex what type action you using that lapua brass didnt fit

EasyGravy,
I had a Rem700 .30-06 that I had rechambered for 6.5x55.

Long story short, American made (.30-06) bolt faces are not the same size as true 6.5x55 specs. They are a bit smaller. So true 6.5x55 brass will have a tough time fitting a rem bolt face.

However, I've found that American brass (hornady, remington) work fine.

I'm running 44.6g of Accurate 4350 in Nosler brass through a Tactical Operations Swede. I believe the 5-shot picture below speaks for itself.

2986DADD-5AB0-47E0-B77F-6CA37DFF5E75_zpszxlwrtch.jpg

Well, you can get a gunsmith to ream out your bolt face a few thousandths, sand down the case head on the brass a few thousandths, deal with shoddy extraction, or swap out for American brass.

I went down the same path with my rifle. The first time I tried to run the lapua brass trough it, the case got stuck in the bolt. I ended up selling the Lapua brass on the Hide...

Ive allready got 500 lapua brass

I have a push feed Model 70 and both Norma and RWS brass work fine in that rifle. These are both Europe made. Haven't tried Lapau however.

Regards, Keith

I got the call over the weekend... Mine will be done this week. I hope to get up there on Friday to pick it up but not sure if that is going to work or not due to some personal stuff (a story for another day). I am super excited to see what it will do! By the way ColinNSX, that group is ridiculous! Sure hope mine will do that! I will see if I can post some pics when I finally get it home...

I might have to call LRI and have bolt face taken to .480

This issue has been talked about with the Swede since internet forums existed. It's mainly a luck of the draw thing, some have no issues, some can't get anything to work.
But, if you want to trace down the problem: As anyone reloading Euro vs Domestic brass will tell you, the Euro brass you def need a Swede shell holder for whereas American brass you can use a .308 holder. This isn't due to diameter of case (although these do differ slightly) it's mainly a lip/groove issue. The recessed groove is thinner and the brass lip at the base is thicker on Euro Swede brass.

This is what causes the problem with extractors, not necessarily bolt fase.

My Rem 700 1994 factory chambered 6.5x55 Swede's bolt face measures .488 and it feeds Norma, Laupua, Horandy, Remington, Parvi, and S&B.

That said, all of my brass fits in my other .308 Bolt face measuring .482 - the Lapua brass fits the most clumsily and would probably extract inconsistently. But it does fit the face.

Still, my custom action will have an M-16 extractor so I'm crossing my finger this wont be a bad combination.

Last edited:
I measured lapua rim at .478

I apologize for the typo, my head was saying .48X and my hands were writing .47X. I fixed my post. Again, Lapua brass fits in my .308 bolt face.

The Lapua brass should be closer to .476-.477

Maybe it changed over the years, ill have to measure my new shipment.

As my edited post shows, tho. Even with .478 you should be fine depending on extractor, with bolt face of .482

Last edited:
Ok. Ive had enough bumps in road on this project. Finally got my reamer and sent off to smiths. You had me worried because I sent a factory remi 700 in 30.06 for the swede.

Ok. Ive had enough bumps in road on this project. Finally got my reamer and sent off to smiths. You had me worried because I sent a factory remi 700 in 30.06 for the swede.
I built my Swede off a Rem 700 stainless that was a 30-'06. I had to have the bolt face opened up and had a Sako extractor installed at the same time. You'll know right away because the extractor won't slip over the rim of the case and/or it is hard to chamber a round. It was a pain in the ass, but the guy who did the metal work fixed it for me.

So for giggle shits I did some brass measuring.
-6.55x56 lapua(rim.478/thick.055)

-30.06 hornady(rim.468/thick.050)

-308win brass(rim.471/thick.050)

-hornady 308( rim.470/thick.050)

-lapua308(rim.471/thick.050)
So I guess your right the 6.5x55 lapua brass rim is thicker by .005 than 308 and 30.06 brass I had to measure. Should I call the smith and send him a sako extractor and have him open bolt face or call him and send him some lapua brass.