• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.8, 223, 204 Which Upper to complement a BM 450?

Substance-P

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
I am making some changes to my collection and selling off my bolt rifle and my SCAR Heavy. In terms of long guns this will get me out of .308s and leave me with my fair share of shotguns, .22LRs, and my trusty Bushmaster .450.

My hunting is primarily a yearly hog hunting trip for which I love using my 450 with an EoTech. Occasionally, I have the chance to do some yote or other critter hunting as well (which was what I used my .308s for as I kept the 450 setup of for bigger game at closer distances).

I am thinking about getting an additional upper for my BM 450 and was initially considering the standard 223/556. However, I wondered if there might be a better option to hit more of my bases.

If you were getting one upper to complement a BM 450, what would you pick and why?

I see this being used for yote and other critters, punching a little bit of paper, and being able to shoot a bit further than the big 450 round.

Re: 6.8, 223, 204 Which Upper to complement a BM 450?

I think it is hard to beat a .223/5.56 upper for all around use.

That said the 6.8 is an awesome hunting cartridge, with many outstanding choices in bullets and loaded ammo.

Flip through the pics and stories here and you'll see what I mean.

I have a 458 socom, 50 beowulf, a 204, and a 223. If I was wanting just one to complement the big bore AR then I would say it would be hard to beat the .223. You can get a 18-20" barrel and get one that drives tacks for punching paper. It will take down all the small critters and can be loaded for deer if need be and be a fairly flat shooting gun to 400 yards and even 600 really. Of course this is my opinion.. Take it for what its worth.

Thanks for the feedback so far folks. I think I have it narrowed down to 6.8 and 223.

I like the availability of ammo for the 223 (and the cheaper price of ammo); however, for as infrequently as I get to take my long guns out, the price of ammo is really a minimal concern.

I agree 5.56 would be the most "other end of the spectrum" choice if you are looking to go that way.. but in my opinion, 6.8 is just plain better in every aspect if you arent worried about spending a few more pennies per round..

If it were me, I'd ditch the .450 and pick up a quality 5.56 and a .300 BLK or 6.5 Grendel or even 6.8.

If you had a 5.56 you have yotes covered and readily available ammunition, cheap mags, etc.

The 6.5 would be great for reaching out and hunting medium to large game.

The 6.8 would be a great medium to large game hunting round.

The .300 should take care of medium and large game well and is relatively cheap to shoot and has interchangeably of mags with 5.56.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it were me, I'd ditch the .450 and pick up a quality 5.56 and a .300 BLK or 6.5 Grendel or even 6.8.

If you had a 5.56 you have yotes covered and readily available ammunition, cheap mags, etc.

The 6.5 would be great for reaching out and hunting medium to large game.

The 6.8 would be a great medium to large game hunting round.

The .300 should take care of medium and large game well and is relatively cheap to shoot and has interchangeably of mags with 5.56. </div></div>

I appreciate everyone's feedback thus far. I agree that starting over again, the 450 wouldn't be my first choice. However, I have taken a 350lb boar and a Bison with it and each with one shot (although my brother simultaneously shot the bison once). For up close work on big animals the 450 has never let me down. I have no illusions of it doing much more for than dropping big animals up close (50 yards and in is where all of my hog shots have come from ). Now, I have grown a little attached to the 450 and plan on keeping it around. Luckily, I don't have sell the 450 to be able to get two uppers, if it seems like adding two additional uppers makes the most sense.

I am really considering the 556 or 6.8. Perhaps even both. This would be primarily for hunting, a little bit of paper punching, only out to 200 yards, and to provide another option to the 450.

5.56 and don't look back. You can find an upper built to do whatever you need it to for critters and punching paper. And the ammo's a hell of a lot cheaper than 450BM.