• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.8 spc

capttom1

Hard Charger
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2013
Mesa, AZ.
Thought about purchasing an AR in 6.8 SPC a few years ago due to some SF buddies who had commented on the caliber. Now I see the ammo has gone up, and the rifles as well. Was curious what the forum members think about the 6.8 SPC both pro's, & con's? Any help or comments would be appreciated. :confused:

I had one and sold it. It was a bushmaster it was not a problem with the gun I just did not like the round. It seemed like a good round to shoot pig with that is why I got it. But the 6.8 does not have the power to put down a pig in my opinion. So I got a bushmaster 308 and I love it. But it really depends on what you want to shoot with the 6.8?

I had one and sold it. It was a bushmaster it was not a problem with the gun I just did not like the round. It seemed like a good round to shoot pig with that is why I got it. But the 6.8 does not have the power to put down a pig in my opinion. So I got a bushmaster 308 and I love it. But it really depends on what you want to shoot with the 6.8?

Plenty of piggies dead from the 6.8, check out Wild River Ranch for lots of proof. The 6.8 offers some of the most power and reach you will find from the AR15 platform. Some brands are still using the out dated chamber, SPCI. Stay away from those and look for anything SPCII or check out AR15 Performance(ARP) and Bison Armory.

The ammo isn't anymore expensive than decent .223 or .308 loads. You can usually find SSA, which is very good ammo and some of the best brass for reloading, for around $18/box. Federal just released 2 options, one being the Fusion line and the other American Eagle. We haven't got any of the American Eagle in but so far it seems to be the cheapest ammo for the 6.8 at around $15/box. Most of the Walmarts have the Fusion for $22-24/box which is a little high IMO. SSA and PSA usually has good sales on 6.8 ammo..

Especially at 350 yds and under IMHO it's the best hunting round available for the AR 15.....just make sure to get a SPC II chamber so you can shoot the hotter rounds fromm SSA and Wilson Combat..... It has more than enough power for pigs and is very popular in that arena as a matter of fact. Plus the ammo is available at Walmart etc so reloading isn't a necessity.

Last edited:
I like 6x45 better. Better bullet selection, standard gi mags or Pmags, cheap plentiful brass, factory ammo, superb ballistics, and a standard bolt face. It is my go to round for killing stuff.

we kill them with .22 LR and .22 Mag. When I go to Texas to hunt I use .223 or 6x45 and never have them get away from me. If I can't get a clean shot that I know I can make, I won't start squeezing the trigger.

Especially at 350 yds and under IMHO it's the best hunting round available for the AR 15.....just make sure to get a SPC II chamber so you can shoot the hotter rounds fromm SSA and Wilson Combat..... It has more than enough power for pigs and is very popular in that arena as a matter of fact. Plus the ammo is available at Walmart etc so reloading isn't a necessity.

This. For short range (<400yds) hunting of medium sized game, it is THE caliber for the AR15. It has a good selection of hunting and target bullets from SSA, Wilson Combat, Federal, Hornady, and S&B. You can get good velocity from 16" barrels, and the most barrel you will need is a 20.77" from Stag. I have the Stag and get MOA or better accuracy with several factory loads, but now I handload mostly.

go to rd in sbr,
in the 6.8 forum peeps hunt hogs with a 12in bbl

here are someone's numbers for factory ssa ammo velocities

Bottom line average velocities:

16", 12.5"

85 grain TSX “Combat Load”, 11/7/2008 dated: 3,082; 2,948 (-134)

90 grain Varmint “Combat Load”, 11/5/2008 dated: 2,724; 2,566 (-158)

100 grain Nosler Accubond “Tactical Load”, 3/28/2009 dated: 2,613; 2,433 (-180)

110 grain Pro Hunter “Combat Load”, 11/6/2008 dated: 2,468; 2,354 (-114)

16in you can count Grendel in too
over 16in Grendel has muncho muncho bc in ar platform, and the computer calculations say it is better ballistics

6.8 ammo is expensive but so is everything else in the top shelf stuff ammo bin
lack practice rd is who has kept it from being more popular,

Last edited:
The 6.8 SPC is a great hunting and short/medium range varmint round.

As others have mentioned make sure when you get it that it has a SPCII chamber. That chamber has freebore in the leade/throat that allows the round to be loaded to a higher pressure. Back in the early days, when it was the SPCI chamber, it and the 6.5 Grendel were about even/even until range got far enough that the higher BC's of the 6.5 took over. Now, with the higher pressures of the SPCII chamber the 6.8 beats the Grendel at short to medium ranges for velocity/energy. BC still wins out in the long run. So if you are looking for a long range rifle in the AR-15 platform (with minimal changes) then go Grendel. If that's not your game with it, don't spend your money there. Go with the 6.8.

I had an early Doublestar SPCI, 20", and I shot the worst groups of my life with that thing. It would group about 10" at 100 yards. I shot SSA, Hornady 110 vmax, and my handloads using 110 vmax and nothing would shoot in that gun. Luckily, during this past gun rush, I had a good opportunity to send it on its way. I have read about others having good luck with the round, but that gun left a bad taste in my mouth.

As with anything quality barrel, chambering, ammo etc.... Make a difference on accuracy... 6.8 doesn't have any inherent accuracy issues.... The quality of components and the build are gonna determine that just like any other caliber. There had to be something wrong with that rifle, you should have sent it back to the manufacturer. I sure hope you didn't unload it on an unsuspecting buyer.... Sounds like you might have.
Wilson Combats 110 gr TTSX and Hornady BTHP hits velocities of 2700 fps out of 16" barrel.... 95gr TTSX IS 2850 FPS

Last edited:
I had an early Doublestar SPCI, 20", and I shot the worst groups of my life with that thing. It would group about 10" at 100 yards. I shot SSA, Hornady 110 vmax, and my handloads using 110 vmax and nothing would shoot in that gun. Luckily, during this past gun rush, I had a good opportunity to send it on its way. I have read about others having good luck with the round, but that gun left a bad taste in my mouth.
That's what happens when you buy one of the cheapest rifles made.

As with anything quality barrel, chambering, ammo etc.... Make a difference on accuracy... 6.8 doesn't have any inherent accuracy issues.... The quality of components and the build are gonna determine that just like any other caliber. There had to be something wrong with that rifle, you should have sent it back to the manufacturer. I sure hope you didn't unload it on an unsuspecting buyer.... Sounds like you might have.
Wilson Combats 110 gr TTSX and Hornady BTHP hits velocities of 2700 fps out of 16" barrel.... 95gr TTSX IS 2850 FPS

The guy that bought it did not care. He was only interested in buying it to trade on. He was aware, but thanks for your consideration.

lol.. You guys get all defensive over nothing. I was just stating the situation with a particular gun.

Last edited:
The guy that bought it did not care. He was only interested in buying it to trade on. He was aware, but thanks for your consideration.

lol.. You guys get all defensive over nothing. I was just stating the situation with a particular gun.

I don't think anyone's defensive, your post made it sound like you thought the 6.8 could be an inaccurate round..... Whether you intended that way or not that's how it comes across..... If you didn't intend it that way and you were aware that there was an issue with the rifle, Not the caliber itself, then there wouldn't be any reason to post it like that.... This is a forum... People are naturally going respond to something that implies or seems to them to be incorrect or misleading information.

Last edited:
Wow alot of comments, I got what I was looking for. The ammo is not that big of deal as far as expense, but now I guess the main question is, what are the better manufactures that utilize the SPC II chamber, and thier approximite values????

Bison Armory, Arp, wilson combat, lwrc to name of few.... Cost depends on options especially at Bison as he will pretty much build to order with whatever components you desire. Pretty much everyone uses the spc II chamber now, I think lwrc calls their chamber 6.8 x 43 but it's spc II ammo safe.... For the most part it's older rifles you have to be concerned about.....I would recommend 6.8forumns.com for more information. Personally I would go with Bison, Ben has great customer service and will walk you through a build no matter how basic or high end.... You decide.... But any of the manufacturers I listed will serve you well. LWRC has a new 6.8 rifle coming out that they teamed up with Magpul on. It will have a redesigned lower/mag well that Magpul is making magazines for....I beleive their foreign military 6.8 contracts sparked this evolution on their rifles. I have mixed emotions on it as I like the idea of the being able to use Magpul magazines but the whole proprietary thing scares me.... I prefer Lancer mags anyway lol.... When it comes to the 6.8 the PRI magazines are pretty much the gold standard as they are well made and allow the longest OAL for spc II and hand loads. However there are several inexpensive magazine brands that work well for a lot less money.

Last edited:
Regalkismet,

Great post! I had recently heard about a slightly longer magwell in the lower to handle the 6.8 stretched out a bit. I couldn't find it this morning, though. If and when it becomes a reality, I'm sure you'll see a whole new crop of wildcats made to fit it.

But that is a good thing. It keeps the wheels of innovation rolling along.

I think the most important part, where you start looking is in the barrel
as that will dictate what ammo you can use and how it will group.

Here is a chart that lists most of the manufacters and gives their barrels an overall rating based on specs of the barrel
ie chamber, twists, lining, steel ect ect
scroll down a bit and you will see it

I shoot a handloaded 120 gr SST out of a 18" Bison Armory AR at > 2400 fps. It groups under an inch at 100 yds. Plenty good enough for it's intended purpose of a whitetail rifle.

I have a Barrett M468 and I have no complaints. For some time many have argued that the 6.8 was a dead cartridge but it appears to be hanging on and now more manufactures are making rifles and ammo for this caliber. I just plink with mine as I wanted something different than the standard 223/5.56

Regalkismet,

Great post! I had recently heard about a slightly longer magwell in the lower to handle the 6.8 stretched out a bit. I couldn't find it this morning, though. If and when it becomes a reality, I'm sure you'll see a whole new crop of wildcats made to fit it.

But that is a good thing. It keeps the wheels of innovation rolling along.

Thanks... If you goto LWRC web page there is a link for magazine articles pertaining to their rifles... Some interesting articles about their new 6.8 rifle with the new enlarged mag well.

Here is some velocity information from my Stag model 7 with a 20.77" barrel. These are all factory loads. My handload with the 115gr Nosler Custom Competition runs about 2600 fps.

Hornady 110gr HPBT Shots: 5
Min 2676 Max 2704
Avg 2693 S-D 12.63
ES 28

Series Shot Speed
1 1 2701 ft/sec
1 2 2676 ft/sec
1 3 2683 ft/sec
1 4 2704 ft/sec
1 5 2701 ft/sec
---- ---- ---- ----
Hornady 120gr SST Shots: 5
Min 2594 Max 2615
Avg 2607.8 S-D 8.58
ES 21

Series Shot Speed
2 1 2615 ft/sec
2 2 2613 ft/sec
2 3 2594 ft/sec
2 4 2612 ft/sec
2 5 2605 ft/sec
---- ---- ---- ----
SSA 115gr OTM Tac Shots: 5
Min 2642 Max 2668
Avg 2657.2 S-D 11.17
ES 26

Series Shot Speed
4 1 2662 ft/sec
4 2 2665 ft/sec
4 3 2649 ft/sec
4 4 2642 ft/sec
4 5 2668 ft/sec
---- ---- ---- ----
SSA 110gr SPH Tac Shots: 5
Min 2665 Max 2699
Avg 2676.4 S-D 14.55
ES 34

Series Shot Speed
4 1 2666 ft/sec
4 2 2665 ft/sec
4 3 2683 ft/sec
4 4 2699 ft/sec
4 5 2669 ft/sec
---- ---- ---- ----
SSA 110gr Acc Tac Shots: 5
Min 2723 Max 2756
Avg 2737.6 S-D 12.16
ES 33

Series Shot Speed
5 1 2723 ft/sec
5 2 2733 ft/sec
5 3 2756 ft/sec
5 4 2741 ft/sec
5 5 2735 ft/sec
---- ---- ---- ----

Thought about purchasing an AR in 6.8 SPC a few years ago due to some SF buddies who had commented on the caliber. Now I see the ammo has gone up, and the rifles as well. Was curious what the forum members think about the 6.8 SPC both pro's, & con's? Any help or comments would be appreciated. :confused:

After having to shoot many Hogs multiple times with a 5.56 And tried every type of bullet with no clear improvements, I decided to look into something more powerful.

I tried to gather as much information as possible and came up with what I think Is a good combination.

For night hunting hogs I have a 450 Bushmaster (Range is normally 100 to 150 yards) This thing will hammer big pigs.

Next I looked for something that if I was pig hunting (Day time)and something else presented it,s self that I would not be under gunned.
The round that caught my attention was the 6.8 SPC with 2000 ft/lbs of muzzle energy.

Compared to the energy of the 5.56 (1300 to 1400 ft/lbs) it is a major step up and still fits the AR 15 platform.

Mine appears to shoot everything well and with some load development I think it will do well. reloading is straight forward and with ammo
and reloading components becoming more available you should not have any problems with the 6.8 SPC.

In fact, I like it so much I think it should replace the 5.56 M 16 to give our troops the advantage over the
AKs (7.62x39).

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I am an avid coyote hunter, doing several coyote calling competitions with my brother every year, and killing between 20-30 total coyotes every year. We have had problems with coyotes running off not being recovered when being hit with .223 and .22-250. It has literally cost us thousands of dollars. Two years ago we began searching for a new round and settled on 6.8. He went with AR Performance, I went with Bison. Both are very accurate with quality ammo (Remington sucks). We haven't lost a coyote since switching and killed 24 last year. Kind of a down year but the drought and extreme heat the past two years really began to hurt the numbers. With all the rain and mild temps this year, we're hoping we'll have the numbers for the next few years to win some more contests. We have a large farm and have constant problems with coyotes attacking new born calves and deer. It's just a bonus that we can win money while hunting them.

Anyways, this thread could use some pics maybe?
01F23800-B1EC-4B12-8B30-FBD761BA337A-8625-00000A8BE24AF88F_zps99e9f766.jpg

7D5A6B94-865B-4DD2-8E1E-38976ABEEA98-8625-00000A8F3BCE5686_zps02a059e6.jpg

C56A7E8D-C6F0-42DD-BD10-3F7F8D4354B4-8625-00000A8BED3D6F44_zps8222094d.jpg

C52FBF12-13F2-43B5-A89D-6257ED0E1438-8625-00000A8C078F3AAE_zps3f4d2f50.jpg

38FD16AB-B215-4758-8543-FCF99E4E2E7E-8625-00000A908466CB91_zps68281474.jpg

And the rifle.
Bison 16" recon barrel
LWRC enhanced bolt
Spikes bolt carrier
Remington R-15 receivers
Troy TRX Extreme 13"
AAC SDN6 suppressor
Trijicon TR20 in a LaRue mount

1526a5b8-78e3-4373-ab0c-d5c6962f7169_zps6928435c.jpg

I was told that the 6.8 was a "CQB" cartridge, but last deer season my brother dropped a decent buck at 400yds (+/-10yds). He was shooting a 110 V-max with 28gr of H-322 behind it. I think he took a total of 4 deer and 1 big hog with the same load. All dropped in their tracks. His accuracy with that load has been around 1.5 MOA with a Leupold 1-4 pig plex.

I was told that the 6.8 was a "CQB" cartridge, but last deer season my brother dropped a decent buck at 400yds (+/-10yds). He was shooting a 110 V-max with 28gr of H-322 behind it. I think he took a total of 4 deer and 1 big hog with the same load. All dropped in their tracks. His accuracy with that load has been around 1.5 MOA with a Leupold 1-4 pig plex.

Whoever told you that isn't very knowledgeable or isn't aware of the spc II chambering .... It's the best ar-15 hunting round for medium and small game(deer, pigs, coyotes etc) under 400yds.... After 400 yards it is edged out by the grendel but still performs vary well out to 700 yds....if I were regularly hunting over 400 yds I'd buy a grendel.... Under 400 6.8 spc II for sure.... More readily available hunting ammunition.... Ammo even available at Walmart..... To get the most out of the grendel you really need to reload and generally use a longer barrel.... Both are awesome rounds.

Last edited:
+1 for AR15 Perf. Harrison B. is the 'boss' when it comes to the 68 platform (68 forums for more info). He's built some excellent shoot platforms for me, the 68 being one of the best shooting ARs i've had. Plenty of choices nowadays though, but PRI and SSA are still two of the better / best sources for gearing a 6.8 mission

Whoever told you that isn't very knowledgeable or isn't aware of the spc II chambering .... It's the best ar-15 hunting round for medium and small game(deer, pigs, coyotes etc) under 400yds.... After 400 yards it is edged out by the grendel but still performs vary well out to 700 yds....if I were regularly hunting over 400 yds I'd buy a grendel.... Under 400 6.8 spc II for sure.... More readily available hunting ammunition.... Ammo even available at Walmart..... To get the most out of the grendel you really need to reload and generally use a longer barrel.... Both are awesome rounds.

Not trying to be argumentative just trying to understand why the Grendel out out performs the 6.8 SPC .

When deciding on what caliber I wanted the Grendel was one of my choices. After looking up all the load data and factory ammo ballistics
this is what I came up with.

The best load I could find for the Grendel was the Hornady @2580 with a 123 grain bullet for 1818 ft/lbs energy at 100 yards. At 500
yards it has 12.3 inches of drop, velocity is1773.9 ft/sec and energy is 859.3 ft/lbs energy.

The best load for the 6.8 with a 115 grain bullet was 2806 ft/sec velocity,with 2010 ft/lbs energy at 100 yards and at 500 yards
the velocity is 1951.6ft/sec and 972.4 ft/lbs energy with 10.1 '' of drop at 500 yards.

This information is what I based my purchase on. If this is wrong please tell me. I am very happy with the 6.8 and would not change but it would be nice to know if this information is correct. My reloads have not quite reached 2010 velocity in my AR but it is within 10 to 12 ft/sec of this.

Thanks

J E CUSTOM

I agree the 6.8 spc II is a wonderful choice and it was my choice over the grendel. But being that the Grendel has better BC pills it can often outperform the 6.8 at long ranges 700 yds + and in order to get best performance out of those pills you will need to roll your own... However more and more bullets and ammo seem to be coming out regularly for the 6.8 and with the new lwrc lower possible allowing for longer OAL I'd bet you start seeing 6.8 pills that are as good(bc wise) as the 6.5 grendel in the near future.... Grendel advantages are in the bc of the available pills but it requires a longer barrel at long ranges. I think for most people the 6.8 is a better choice.... More hunting bullets and ammunition available and reloading isn't neccessary..... I think the 6.8 will continue to evolve. Under 400 yards the 6.8 spc II outperforms the grendel. IMHO under 400 yds velocity is king.... Beyond bc is king

Last edited:
Thanks . I thought I had screwed up on the numbers.

The Grendel was my second choice and with it being proprietary, brass and accessories would be harder to get. All though now all components are hard to find.

Thanks again.

J E CUSTOM

I have four ARs chambered in 6.8 spc. The round went thru a lot of teething pains and got a bad rap early on. The SAMMI chamber was incorrectly submitted and approved. The SPECII chambering has corrected this problem. My first 6.8 spc was a DPMS with a SAMMI chamber and in 2009 I moved to the SPECII chamber - big difference.
The round initally developed by an Army unit for military use has be widely adopted by hunters.
The 6.8 SPC could be described as being between a 556 and a 308, with a lot more power than the 556 and a lot less felt recoil than the 308. When people ask me about my rifles I describe it as a 270 short for the AR pattern rifle.

I currently only have two 6.8's. At one time I had four, two AR's, a Ruger bolt, and a TC contender. I'm down to one 18" AR and the Ruger Hawkeye, plus I have a 16" AR barrel in the safe waiting to be put on an upper and slapped on one of the lowers in the safe.

I really have killed a couple deer, a bunch of coyotes, and varmints with mine and one of these days, maybe this fall, I will try and tag a cow elk with one of them.

Not much else needs to be said other than "it works"
I am on my 4th 6.8
I primarily hunt with handloaded Barnes 95 TTSX out of a Wilson 16"

Inside of 400 it is deadly on pigs and deer.
Never lost an animal and most go down right where they stand due to goo shot placement.

Mine has taken a lot of hogs and deer and will be used on deer more this season as it will be suppressed.

I have a Noveske 6.8 and have killed several deer and a few varmints with it. It's a great round for hunting, which is mainly why I bought it but the spots I used to hunt are getting ruined by outfitters or property changing owners and losing the ability to hunt there. I might have to take a trip to go hog hunting to see for myself how it does on them :)

Last edited:
I had two and loved them both barrett rec7 and Lwrc m6 a2. I only sold them because I had way too many guns and needed to pay some bills. If I had to do over I would of kept the Lwrc. Go ahead and get one you will be very pleased with the performance of this round.

Not trying to be argumentative just trying to understand why the Grendel out out performs the 6.8 SPC .

When deciding on what caliber I wanted the Grendel was one of my choices. After looking up all the load data and factory ammo ballistics
this is what I came up with.

The best load I could find for the Grendel was the Hornady @2580 with a 123 grain bullet for 1818 ft/lbs energy at 100 yards. At 500
yards it has 12.3 inches of drop, velocity is1773.9 ft/sec and energy is 859.3 ft/lbs energy.

The best load for the 6.8 with a 115 grain bullet was 2806 ft/sec velocity,with 2010 ft/lbs energy at 100 yards and at 500 yards
the velocity is 1951.6ft/sec and 972.4 ft/lbs energy with 10.1 '' of drop at 500 yards.

This information is what I based my purchase on. If this is wrong please tell me. I am very happy with the 6.8 and would not change but it would be nice to know if this information is correct. My reloads have not quite reached 2010 velocity in my AR but it is within 10 to 12 ft/sec of this.

Thanks

J E CUSTOM

Not sure what calculator your using, but I came up with very different numbers using your velocities...

6.8 115 HPBT @ 2806 - 1641fpe @ 100yrds. 3.4 mils of drop, 1612fps and 664fpe @ 500yrds.

6.5 123 AMAX @ 2580 - 1582fpe @ 100yrds. 3.5 mils of drop, 1783fps and 868fpe @ 500yrds.

Based on the Hornady 115 HPBT6.8 and 123AMAX 6.5, no bullet spec'd in your post.

Not sure what calculator your using, but I came up with very different numbers using your velocities...

6.8 115 HPBT @ 2806 - 1641fpe @ 100yrds. 3.4 mils of drop, 1612fps and 664fpe @ 500yrds.

6.5 123 AMAX @ 2580 - 1582fpe @ 100yrds. 3.5 mils of drop, 1783fps and 868fpe @ 500yrds.

Based on the Hornady 115 HPBT6.8 and 123AMAX 6.5, no bullet spec'd in your post.

Unless you have a 6.8 with a 24" barrel, your velocity number for the 115 gr bullet is no where near achievable. I'm getting 2650 fps for 115 gr bullets out of my 20.77" barrel.

When I did the research I used all the factory ammo ballistics for both the 6.5 and the 6.8 the best load available
for the 6.5 was the Hornady I had listed and the best load for the 6.8 was the Remington factory.

By using the factory loads it compares apples to apples. I realize that reloads and barrel length can greatly change the performance
of any cartridge and factory loads are loaded to SAAME pressures and reloads are not always loaded within these limits.

One other thing I found was that the 6.5 Grendel was almost the same case capacity (within 1 or 2 grains) of the 6.8 SPC.

So with everything being the same (barrel length and SAMME pressure the Remington load came out on top.

As I said early on the Grendel was one of two of the top choices. I just chose the 6.8 for the performance and the availability of components.

They are very close to each other and the only downside to the 6.8 as I would see it is the bullet selection.

And no; I have not been able to reach factory velocities with my reloads but I am close (But I have probably exceeded SAMME pressures).

J E CUSTOM

we kill them with .22 LR and .22 Mag. When I go to Texas to hunt I use .223 or 6x45 and never have them get away from me. If I can't get a clean shot that I know I can make, I won't start squeezing the trigger.
You haven't hunted in TX enough. Hogs are on the same level as roaches. Any shot is good shot! They're not game animals here. I switched from .223 to 300 blk suppressed for hog hunting this year, but haven't had chance to try it out yet. I also have a Bison 6.8 upper that I'm going to take with me and try side by side. It has to be just as good as a 300 blk and better than .223/5.56. You can't go wrong with it.

Unless you have a 6.8 with a 24" barrel, your velocity number for the 115 gr bullet is no where near achievable. I'm getting 2650 fps for 115 gr bullets out of my 20.77" barrel.

You must be using the wrong powder and loads. In the right barrels with the right powder 2800fps is possible with a 16" barrel with a max load.
33gr of H335 will get you there with the right 16" barrel, we were doing it in 08. 32.5gr with 110gr Nosler Accubonds has been my hunting load for 4 years and produces under 1" groups.

Last edited:
You must be using the wrong powder and loads. In the right barrels with the right powder 2800fps is possible with a 16" barrel with a max load.
33gr of H335 will get you there with the right 16" barrel, we were doing it in 08. 32.5gr with 110gr Nosler Accubonds has been my hunting load for 4 years and produces under 1" groups.

Bustin - You are talking about a 110 gr bullet. My post is referring to a 115 gr bullet. Even with Accurate 2200 (considered to be the best powder for 6.8) in a 20" barrel, the max charge (28.0 gr, 58,221 psi) velocity is 2614 fps. I loaded up to 28.6 gr and got 2669 fps in my Stag with 20.77" barrel which is no where close to 2800 fps. If you got 2800 fps out of a 16" barrel, your load was in excess of 62,000 psi. I'm an active member over at the 6.8 forum and have never seen a 115 gr bullet load that will do what you are claiming.

accuRate 2200
Bullet Start load vel Max load vel pressure COAL
85 BARNES MPG 28.0 2,737 31.1 3,020 54,997 2.235
90 SIERRA HP 28.2 2,699 31.4 2,988 58,481 2.260
95 BARNES TTSX 27.1 2,626 30.2 2,915 57,953 2.260
110 HDY HP 25.7 2,410 28.6 2,685 57,899 2.260
110 HDY V-MAX 25.7 2,439 28.6 2,711 58,020 2.260
110 SIERRA SPT PH 26.1 2,454 29.0 2,685 58,410 2.260
115 SIERRA HPBT MK 25.2 2,372 28.0 2,614 58,221 2.260
120 HDY SST 24.5 2,289 27.2 2,543 58,500 2.260
130 NOSLER B-TIP 24.2 2,205 26.9 2,434 54,333 2.260
140 NOSLER B-TIP 23.0 2,094 25.6 2,298 53,506 2.260
140 SIERRA HPBT GK 23.4 2,128 26.0 2,342 58,293 2.260

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/WP_LoadSpec_7-2-13.pdf

Bustin - You are talking about a 110 gr bullet. My post is referring to a 115 gr bullet. Even with Accurate 2200 (considered to be the best powder for 6.8) in a 20" barrel, the max charge (28.0 gr, 58,221 psi) velocity is 2614 fps. I loaded up to 28.6 gr and got 2669 fps in my Stag with 20.77" barrel which is no where close to 2800 fps. If you got 2800 fps out of a 16" barrel, your load was in excess of 62,000 psi. I'm an active member over at the 6.8 forum and have never seen a 115 gr bullet load that will do what you are claiming.

accuRate 2200

FYI, that is Harrison from ARP..

While AA2200 seems to be a great all around powder for the 6.8, it might not produce as much velocity as other powders. Then again, his chambers and twists are pretty fast also.

accuRate 2200

No I wasn't talking about a 110. I said that the 110 Nosler was my hunting load that I shot the elk with and even at the 32.5 gr load it will shoot sub MOA.
33gr of H335 behind a 115 is a stiff charge but usable. SOME consider 2200 the best powder but it isn't the fastest powder with all bullets. 1200R seems to match 2200 and LT32 looks like it runs even better although not many are shooting it yet.
Quickload is fine to get started but is not accurate. You can not adjust engraving force accurately, it would be a guess just like adjusting the bore area. You are shooting a Stag with 6 grooves, the land to groove ratio is much higher then the 5R barrels and therefore the bore area smaller and engraving force higher. We see as much as 100fps difference between the 11 twist 4groove and the 5R barrels.

Just trying to learn something. What is the difference between the 6.8 SPC and the 6.8 SPC 2 chamber.

I couldn't,t find anything on the 6.8 SPC 2. Is it like an Ackley?

Thanks

J E CUSTOM

I was just reading back over the post and saw your post and just thought I would comment on it.

First you are right about killing hogs with a 22 LR in some parts of Texas but where I live (South Texas) there is thick brush and the chance of a shot over 75 yards is rare. and most of the time they are running so the perfect shot is a dead in his tracks shot. other times you may have a 10 yard shot but the difference is that the hog is running at you. for this I like the 450 bushmaster or the 3 1/2" 12 gauge.

I killed one hog using a 17 HMR by shooting him in the eye and the rodeo was on. with the 223 there was to much tracking under these conditions
and many times I have had to use my 12 gauge for charging hogs.

I deer hunt where you can shoot from zip code to zip code and for that encounter I will use what ever I am deer hunting with.

We kill every hog we see and I needed something larger because I Rarely get that perfect shot presented to me.

So even though almost anything will kill them the different terrain dictates what you should use in my opinion.

I am not surprised to see so many cartridges used on hogs because they are found everywhere hear in Texas.

Just wanted to caution everyone that hogs can be very dangerous so use what you like and good shooting.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Thanks . I will do a chamber cast and find out what I have.

I suspect it is the second version because of the velocities I am getting with no pressure signs.

Thanks again

J E CUSTOM

Up date:

Based on the chamber cast, My chamber has .205 free bore (SAMMI is .171) I am sure this is not perfect but it is close (Within .005 + or -).

Thanks again. It may explain the velocity improvement If the reloading books used the old SAMMI spec. chamber.

J E CUSTOM