• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 6 Creedmoor 2nd OCW - Your Thoughts???

mkollman74

Quo Vadis?
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 5, 2009
    WA, USA
    Alright y'all -

I posted up my 1st OCW and got some good feedback (including that I wasn't initially doing my group math correctly - oops, a double IPA or two before grabbing the calipers...):eek:. So here is my second attempt with this new rifle. I intend to put together loads for my local/regional tactical competitions. Some of those are starting to go to the 3100-3150 speed limit, so I am looking to push these up to about that point only.

Once more for the record: All 'smithing done by JD Thomas (HSSS on the 'Hide) of High Speed Shooting Systems. I can't say enough about this guy. Great service, great work, great turnaround times, great rates, and none of the BS you get with some other 'smiths.

The rifle:

• Badger M2008
    • KRG Whiskey3 chassis
    • Krieger barrel finished at 25", chambered in 6 Creedmoor
    • CG Extreme 2 stage trigger ( best there is IMHO)
    • Bushnell HDMR
    • Surefire muzzle brake
    • American Rifle Company Rings

The load(s):

• Hornady headstamped 6 Creedmoor brass (purchased from McCourt Munitions)
    • Berger 105 hybrids
    • H4350
    • FED 210M primers
    NOTE: I did absolutely zero brass prep. I grabbed the brass, seated the primers, dumped the powder, and seated the bullets.

And now, the results. All groups shot at 100 yards. Please note that the data shown in black is from my 1st OCW. The data shown in blue is from this current test. Since I didn't have any pressure signs, I chose to go a bit futher with the loads for round 2 I got a bit lazy (typical for me) and did not foul the barrel prior to commencing the test. Since I was firing in a "round robin" format, the first two shots went a bit high and slightly distorted the results. I knew this was likely to happen, and didn't care much, as I was pretty confident I would be choosing a loading higher on the pressure scale anyways.

So given the photo below, what would you choose? I am leaning towards the 42.0 load, but I am far from expert at interpeting OCW results. Any feedback from those with greater expertise than I (pretty much everyone) will be very welcome.
    zwciyu.jpg

Last edited:
    What you have is a very nice rifle. The velocity difference between 42.0 and 42.4 is almost nothing - superimpose those groups and you have about 2/3 MOA for 9 shots using three different loads. Not bad. I would verify that load with a 3 or 4 seven-round groups of 42.2 and call it a day. (5 groups of 7 tells you more than 7 groups of 5 for obscure statistical reasons).

What you have is a very nice rifle. The velocity difference between 42.0 and 42.4 is almost nothing - superimpose those groups and you have about 2/3 MOA for 9 shots using three different loads. Not bad. I would verify that load with a 3 or 4 seven-round groups of 42.2 and call it a day. (5 groups of 7 tells you more than 7 groups of 5 for obscure statistical reasons).

Thanks for your reply, and compliments on the rifle. JD builds a good one. I was thining of the 42.2 as well. I am probably overthinking it...

Take 42.2 and shoot it out to 300, 500, 700, 1000. On your target put the conditions for each distance. I would say two groups of 5 at each target at least. This will give you an idea of the loads performance at range.

R

I also recall from your other thread and suggestions in it that you might try playing with your seating depth just a bit. It might turn those all into one hole groups. Not that ya really need to unless your really looking for the holy grail. Nice shooting. I would also stretch it's legs to longer distances just to verify that those groups will hold at distance.

I also recall from your other thread and suggestions in it that you might try playing with your seating depth just a bit. It might turn those all into one hole groups. Not that ya really need to unless your really looking for the holy grail. Nice shooting. I would also stretch it's legs to longer distances just to verify that those groups will hold at distance.

Take 42.2 and shoot it out to 300, 500, 700, 1000. On your target put the conditions for each distance. I would say two groups of 5 at each target at least. This will give you an idea of the loads performance at range.

R

Both sound like good advice. Thanks, fellas.

here's some 300yd groups with 42grs RE17 & 105HPBTs, will be doing more testing with 4000MR & 42.2grs H4350 next week, hopefully. One of these groups is with some Hybrids, that would be the 2nd target.
    AUMnrVR.jpg

gEDgB1y.jpg

Yc7wRv0.jpg

Shot these groups at 200yd the week before last. Winds were not clam, btw.
    QnqK1zk.jpg

Man the 42 - 42.4 range looks awfully good.

Congrats on a great rifle and some good shooting.