6 dasher vs 6br vs 6xc

RyanM

Private
PX Member
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2017
Just a heads up to those looking for another mag kit option.

I ordered up some HRD Gear Mag Kits for my 6BR. They are a complete kit with spring, follower, and spacer. I am not expert but would guess he is using milled derlin or something like that, very high end product.

I am using AW mags with the new Defiance Elite action and so far things are looking very good. I have no doubt that these would work in an AT/AX set up as well.

Reactions: trophyhunter

longrange2

Private
PX Member
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2008
Rocky Mountains
I just fired some hydroformed dasher brass with 32.5 grains of 4166 and got 2940 FPS with 107 grain Sierras from a 24 inch barrel. It looks like I can find a good node somewhere around there. I don’t think I will try driving them over 3,000 fps

bohem

PVA's HMFIC
Commercial Supporter
PX Member
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
Southeast, PA
www.patriotvalleyarms.com
If you use 30gr of 4166 in the 6BR what do you run in a Dasher? 31gr?

I am looking to try 4166 in a Dasher but wonder if their is a go to load to fireform?

Thanks
I shoot appx 32.5 in my Dasher with 105's though that isn't a load that I'd take to the bank just yet. It would likely win a field match but that load is more to validate pressure limit calculations than anything else. I have not shot enough 4166 in a Dasher to really give reports on it. Typically the Dasher runs 8% more powder overall than the BR does. So if someone says they're using 30gr in a BR then (0.08*30)+30 = 32.4gr is going to be around your limit with the Dasher. This number is just rough to get you in a ballpark, it's not a hard and fast rule.

Reactions: Raufoss

Raufoss

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2010
Missouri
I shoot appx 32.5 in my Dasher with 105's though that isn't a load that I'd take to the bank just yet. It would likely win a field match but that load is more to validate pressure limit calculations than anything else. I have not shot enough 4166 in a Dasher to really give reports on it. Typically the Dasher runs 8% more powder overall than the BR does. So if someone says they're using 30gr in a BR then (0.08*30)+30 = 32.4gr is going to be around your limit with the Dasher. This number is just rough to get you in a ballpark, it's not a hard and fast rule.

What would you recommend as a good forming load with 110 Smk?

verdugo60

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Jul 6, 2010
    Denver, CO
    The HRD kit is awesome, Dan is a good dude and local shooter. So far I have run 150ish 6br loads through my AI AT and it has been flawless, even in crappy Colorado sandstorms. You can't run the bolt back slow without getting that short fired case spun around inside the action but running it at normal or fast speeds you won't have an issue. I'll probably try a John Hancock in Dasher or BRX or I'll just keep it a straight BR, haven't decided.

Just a heads up to those looking for another mag kit option.

I ordered up some HRD Gear Mag Kits for my 6BR. They are a complete kit with spring, follower, and spacer. I am not expert but would guess he is using milled derlin or something like that, very high end product.

I am using AW mags with the new Defiance Elite action and so far things are looking very good. I have no doubt that these would work in an AT/AX set up as well.

Reactions: trophyhunter

Hardshot

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 10, 2020
    No thanks. My 6BR based cartridges feed great. 6x47 uses way more powder and the barrel life is much, much shorter.

BRX is really good too. One of the guys we run with uses it in PRS/NRL matches. He crushes it with the BRX. He converted from 6x47. If BRX is your choice, have Travis Stevens build it. He is all dialed in with that cartridge

6BR is way better than the others. Load development for 6BR is stupid easy :) Something special about that cartridge.
    What action are you feeding out off ? Just put my 6 BR barrel on my new Savage 110 elite precision and it won’t eject the brass, the case is so d as short it turns to the side when pulling out and drops off of bolt . My 6 xc performance is great on this action.?

McMillan

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    May 31, 2019
    What action are you feeding out off ? Just put my 6 BR barrel on my new Savage 110 elite precision and it won’t eject the brass, the case is so d as short it turns to the side when pulling out and drops off of bolt . My 6 xc performance is great on this action.?
    I'd try putting a stronger ejector spring in it. I'm running a br on a tikka action and a dasher on a impact action that both run flawelessly. I had a lot of trouble with the tikka not feeding untill I got met 6br mags. Now it's great

Hardshot

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 10, 2020
    "With the exception of barrel life the XC looks really attractive to me, are there any downsides that I am missing?"

Aside from barrel life..... probably not. Especially since Peterson started making SRP XC brass. I've heard it measures very consistent.
    Bighorn. TL2 and Original Bighorn. Very similar to Savage. Everything is custom some things work, some take tweaking.
    The 6 Br feeds great out of the MDT BR mags .There is know problem feeding ,Just falls off the bolt before it gets clear of the side of action to eject. It is so short that it turns side so the pin won’t push it off . I change out ball under ejector to one a little bit bigger ,still didn’t help . I must say I am disappointed,hope someone here has the fix !
    As for barrel life 3000 easy with Varget ,30 gr. 107 smk or 105 Bergers with HBN coating .Brass lasts for the life of the barrel.New barrel and new brass and start over .

McMillan

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    May 31, 2019
    The 6 Br feeds great out of the MDT BR mags .There is know problem feeding ,Just falls off the bolt before it gets clear of the side of action to eject. It is so short that it turns side so the pin won’t push it off . I change out ball under ejector to one a little bit bigger ,still didn’t help . I must say I am disappointed,hope someone here has the fix !
    As for barrel life 3000 easy with Varget ,30 gr. 107 smk or 105 Bergers with HBN coating .Brass lasts for the life of the barrel.New barrel and new brass and start over .

Reactions: delfuego

delfuego

Belieber
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Aug 21, 2011
    PHX AZ
    Sounds like the ejector could be the issue. Stock r700 sometimes have issues. I know the geometry of the ejector has a big influence. Watch for cases hitting the scope turret and bouncing back in. Seen that happen before too.

AlpineSniper

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 27, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I just went to dasher. Went with that over the BR mainly because proof makes prefits for it. Interested to see how it feeds. think I'm going to give the MDT 6 BR mags a go

Shifty6BR

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 8, 2013
    IL

I've had both 6br and dasher, not 100% if the dasher needed it but I did it anyway. I opened the notch a touch on the ejector allowing it to just sit flush with the bolt face, problem solved.

**This off of a Surgeon/700 ejector
    20200823_084038.jpg

NaciremaToirtap

Rod Hot
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 17, 2020
    Brookings, SD
    I’m late to the party and very inexperienced. Am trying to get into this. I’m confused as to why the dasher would feed better than the br? If I understand correctly, the dasher is a 40° shoulder, and aren’t those usually more picky about feeding? I’m trying to decide what to choose myself, so thanks for any help.

Codiekfx400

Major Hide Member
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jan 29, 2018
    I’m late to the party and very inexperienced. Am trying to get into this. I’m confused as to why the dasher would feed better than the br? If I understand correctly, the dasher is a 40° shoulder, and aren’t those usually more picky about feeding? I’m trying to decide what to choose myself, so thanks for any help.
    If your inexperienced the 6 Creedmoor might be more to your liking. As far as the Dasher feeding better. The Dasher is slightly longer which helps with the magazine feeding.

Reactions: NaciremaToirtap

NaciremaToirtap

Rod Hot
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 17, 2020
    Brookings, SD
    If your inexperienced the 6 Creedmoor might be more to your liking. As far as the Dasher feeding better. The Dasher is slightly longer which helps with the magazine feeding.

Awesome. I really appreciate the response and explanation. I’ve been shooting a .260 Ackley the last year or so, so I have experience fire forming and hand loading. I’m just starting my foray into 6mm and the arguments over these are really confusing. The dasher sure sounds like a winner, but when you look at the cartridges, and consider all things, it makes me wonder why the brx isn’t more popular. It has the steeper shoulder and longer case, so it seems like it would fix the feeding problem. But I have never shot any of these so maybe there’s a bunch of difficulties making them work or something else unforeseen. If a guy wanted the possibility of good, match grade factory ammunition, what’s the best options? And finally, the primers. I’ve read a little about a firing pin being a hassle in one or some of these? What is that about? Do you need a special boot for any of these or something? Thanks a bunch!

spife7980

Luchador
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 10, 2017
    Central TX
    Br based cases use small primers. H
    The small primer is more high pressure on thinner material and if you have a large firing pin or a sloppy fit then the high pressure will force primer cup material to flow into the firing pin channel and possibly rupture.

If you want factory ammo go creed.

Brx, bra, dasher are basically all the same, slightly larger than the normal br. You will have to really get into the weeds to find a difference. Go with what you can get dies and components for.

At this point that’s creed with large primer for me.

TheOfficeT-Rex

Primer Minister
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • May 19, 2019
    If you want to get really in the weeds for the differences, head over to accurateshooter. The benchrest guys there have several threads (and pissing matches) on the minute case differences and accuracy/tuning potential.

For most guys here, for PRS or steel use, makes it more of a preference/brass/mag feeding issue than proving that 6BRA is slightly more accurate than 6 Dasher.

NaciremaToirtap

Rod Hot
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 17, 2020
    Brookings, SD
    If you want to get really in the weeds for the differences, head over to accurateshooter. The benchrest guys there have several threads (and pissing matches) on the minute case differences and accuracy/tuning potential.

For most guys here, for PRS or steel use, makes it more of a preference/brass/mag feeding issue than proving that 6BRA is slightly more accurate than 6 Dasher.

Everybody is always talking about how easy it is to find a load that works really well for the br and dasher and the like. And it seems much rarer that people are arguing in favor of the 6cm. Is there any reason for these? Bandwagon thing? A little trickier to dial in? I understand they require more powder. Is that the only turn off?

Thanks again for all this fellas. I truly appreciate it all.

verdugo60

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jul 6, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Everybody is always talking about how easy it is to find a load that works really well for the br and dasher and the like. And it seems much rarer that people are arguing in favor of the 6cm. Is there any reason for these? Bandwagon thing? A little trickier to dial in? I understand they require more powder. Is that the only turn off?

Thanks again for all this fellas. I truly appreciate it all.

6 creed is not hard to dial in per se, theBR based stuff is just really easy as far as accuracy. There’s a reason it started as a bench rest sweetheart.

Pro’s:6 Creed doesn’t require dialing in magazines and has a lot more options for factory ammo. No fire forming.

Cons: A bit more recoil, burns 10 grs more powder on average, and scorches barrels quicker. A lot quicker according to many. This may lend to the idea of being hard to tune because people are chasing the lands and velocity decreases vs slow and steady of the BR based stuff.

If you don’t reload look at 6GT or 6 Creed. If you do reload I would say do a 28” 6BR, run it low and slow and you don’t have to fire form. Easy peasy.

NaciremaToirtap

Rod Hot
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 17, 2020
    Brookings, SD
    6 creed is not hard to dial in per se, theBR based stuff is just really easy as far as accuracy. There’s a reason it started as a bench rest sweetheart.

Pro’s:6 Creed doesn’t require dialing in magazines and has a lot more options for factory ammo. No fire forming.

Cons: A bit more recoil, burns 10 grs more powder on average, and scorches barrels quicker. A lot quicker according to many. This may lend to the idea of being hard to tune because people are chasing the lands and velocity decreases vs slow and steady of the BR based stuff.

If you don’t reload look at 6GT or 6 Creed. If you do reload I would say do a 28” 6BR, run it low and slow and you don’t have to fire form. Easy peasy.

Outstanding. The BR sounds like the ticket then. My girlfriend wants to start competing with me at some point too, and she wants as low recoil as is possible. And I enjoy reloading a whole lot. So I guess the final question then is, how do you overcome the feeding issues associated with the 6BR?

Hardshot

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 10, 2020
    Thanks to all that had advice for my ejection problem with my new Savage elite. I have five Savage target actions and the are all weak on ejection with the 6 BR or 6PPC .The single shot actions ,it doesn’t bother me as much . I bought two of the Savage enhancement kits .This just cured all the issues.
    You would have thought that Savage could have built a better ejector like the enhanced kits ! Thanks to all of you that share advice on this site .Bruce

verdugo60

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jul 6, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Outstanding. The BR sounds like the ticket then. My girlfriend wants to start competing with me at some point too, and she wants as low recoil as is possible. And I enjoy reloading a whole lot. So I guess the final question then is, how do you overcome the feeding issues associated with the 6BR?

That will be the trick, do some googling

Reactions: NaciremaToirtap

NaciremaToirtap

Rod Hot
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 17, 2020
    Brookings, SD
    HRD, Primal rights, and PVA make mag kits. All depends on what system you're running.

For reloading, search accurateshooter for load data. Those guys love some 6BR and 6BRA.

Irony. I was just reading about them and sending them questions not more than five minutes before I came here and read your response. So which platform works best for 6s? I’m also shopping for a custom action, and am very undecided.

spife7980

Luchador
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 10, 2017
    Central TX
    Again, a very sincere thank you. I really appreciate it all
    For the br cases I like a mechanical ejector rather than a spring loaded one.

The spring will try to push the case out off the bolt face as soon as possible... which can sometimes be while it’s still inside of the action.

A mechanical ejector doesn’t try to push the case out off the bolt face until the bolt is at the rear of its travel to hit the ejector so you eliminate that early drop issue entirely.

That’s not to say the spring loaded don’t work alright as plenty use them to great effect, I just like the mechanical.

Bighorn/Zermatt and ARC are the two companies I would lean towards myself for a br based repeater. But it’s hard to find a bad option these days if you’ve seen it mentioned on the hide.

NaciremaToirtap

Rod Hot
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 17, 2020
    Brookings, SD
    For the br cases I like a mechanical ejector rather than a spring loaded one.

The spring will try to push the case out off the bolt face as soon as possible... which can sometimes be while it’s still inside of the action.

A mechanical ejector doesn’t try to push the case out off the bolt face until the bolt is at the rear of its travel to hit it so you eliminate that early drop issue.

That’s not to say the spring loaded don’t work alright as plenty use them to great effect, I just like the mechanical. Bighorn/Zermatt and ARC are the two companies I would lean towards myself for a br based repeater.

Excellent! I have always like ARC a whole lot, and besides price, I can’t understand why they’re not the most popular. I was leaning toward one already. Thanks for backing that up for me!