• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6 dasher vs 6br vs 6xc

"With the exception of barrel life the XC looks really attractive to me, are there any downsides that I am missing?"

Aside from barrel life..... probably not. Especially since Peterson started making SRP XC brass. I've heard it measures very consistent.
Bighorn. TL2 and Original Bighorn. Very similar to Savage. Everything is custom some things work, some take tweaking.
The 6 Br feeds great out of the MDT BR mags .There is know problem feeding ,Just falls off the bolt before it gets clear of the side of action to eject. It is so short that it turns side so the pin won’t push it off . I change out ball under ejector to one a little bit bigger ,still didn’t help . I must say I am disappointed,hope someone here has the fix !
As for barrel life 3000 easy with Varget ,30 gr. 107 smk or 105 Bergers with HBN coating .Brass lasts for the life of the barrel.New barrel and new brass and start over .

The 6 Br feeds great out of the MDT BR mags .There is know problem feeding ,Just falls off the bolt before it gets clear of the side of action to eject. It is so short that it turns side so the pin won’t push it off . I change out ball under ejector to one a little bit bigger ,still didn’t help . I must say I am disappointed,hope someone here has the fix !
As for barrel life 3000 easy with Varget ,30 gr. 107 smk or 105 Bergers with HBN coating .Brass lasts for the life of the barrel.New barrel and new brass and start over .

Reactions: delfuego
Sounds like the ejector could be the issue. Stock r700 sometimes have issues. I know the geometry of the ejector has a big influence. Watch for cases hitting the scope turret and bouncing back in. Seen that happen before too.

I just went to dasher. Went with that over the BR mainly because proof makes prefits for it. Interested to see how it feeds. think I'm going to give the MDT 6 BR mags a go

I've had both 6br and dasher, not 100% if the dasher needed it but I did it anyway. I opened the notch a touch on the ejector allowing it to just sit flush with the bolt face, problem solved.

**This off of a Surgeon/700 ejector
20200823_084038.jpg

I’m late to the party and very inexperienced. Am trying to get into this. I’m confused as to why the dasher would feed better than the br? If I understand correctly, the dasher is a 40° shoulder, and aren’t those usually more picky about feeding? I’m trying to decide what to choose myself, so thanks for any help.

I’m late to the party and very inexperienced. Am trying to get into this. I’m confused as to why the dasher would feed better than the br? If I understand correctly, the dasher is a 40° shoulder, and aren’t those usually more picky about feeding? I’m trying to decide what to choose myself, so thanks for any help.
If your inexperienced the 6 Creedmoor might be more to your liking. As far as the Dasher feeding better. The Dasher is slightly longer which helps with the magazine feeding.

Reactions: NaciremaToirtap
If your inexperienced the 6 Creedmoor might be more to your liking. As far as the Dasher feeding better. The Dasher is slightly longer which helps with the magazine feeding.

Awesome. I really appreciate the response and explanation. I’ve been shooting a .260 Ackley the last year or so, so I have experience fire forming and hand loading. I’m just starting my foray into 6mm and the arguments over these are really confusing. The dasher sure sounds like a winner, but when you look at the cartridges, and consider all things, it makes me wonder why the brx isn’t more popular. It has the steeper shoulder and longer case, so it seems like it would fix the feeding problem. But I have never shot any of these so maybe there’s a bunch of difficulties making them work or something else unforeseen. If a guy wanted the possibility of good, match grade factory ammunition, what’s the best options? And finally, the primers. I’ve read a little about a firing pin being a hassle in one or some of these? What is that about? Do you need a special boot for any of these or something? Thanks a bunch!

Br based cases use small primers. H
The small primer is more high pressure on thinner material and if you have a large firing pin or a sloppy fit then the high pressure will force primer cup material to flow into the firing pin channel and possibly rupture.

If you want factory ammo go creed.

Brx, bra, dasher are basically all the same, slightly larger than the normal br. You will have to really get into the weeds to find a difference. Go with what you can get dies and components for.

At this point that’s creed with large primer for me.

If you want to get really in the weeds for the differences, head over to accurateshooter. The benchrest guys there have several threads (and pissing matches) on the minute case differences and accuracy/tuning potential.

For most guys here, for PRS or steel use, makes it more of a preference/brass/mag feeding issue than proving that 6BRA is slightly more accurate than 6 Dasher.

If you want to get really in the weeds for the differences, head over to accurateshooter. The benchrest guys there have several threads (and pissing matches) on the minute case differences and accuracy/tuning potential.

For most guys here, for PRS or steel use, makes it more of a preference/brass/mag feeding issue than proving that 6BRA is slightly more accurate than 6 Dasher.

Everybody is always talking about how easy it is to find a load that works really well for the br and dasher and the like. And it seems much rarer that people are arguing in favor of the 6cm. Is there any reason for these? Bandwagon thing? A little trickier to dial in? I understand they require more powder. Is that the only turn off?

Thanks again for all this fellas. I truly appreciate it all.

Everybody is always talking about how easy it is to find a load that works really well for the br and dasher and the like. And it seems much rarer that people are arguing in favor of the 6cm. Is there any reason for these? Bandwagon thing? A little trickier to dial in? I understand they require more powder. Is that the only turn off?

Thanks again for all this fellas. I truly appreciate it all.

6 creed is not hard to dial in per se, theBR based stuff is just really easy as far as accuracy. There’s a reason it started as a bench rest sweetheart.

Pro’s:6 Creed doesn’t require dialing in magazines and has a lot more options for factory ammo. No fire forming.

Cons: A bit more recoil, burns 10 grs more powder on average, and scorches barrels quicker. A lot quicker according to many. This may lend to the idea of being hard to tune because people are chasing the lands and velocity decreases vs slow and steady of the BR based stuff.

If you don’t reload look at 6GT or 6 Creed. If you do reload I would say do a 28” 6BR, run it low and slow and you don’t have to fire form. Easy peasy.

6 creed is not hard to dial in per se, theBR based stuff is just really easy as far as accuracy. There’s a reason it started as a bench rest sweetheart.

Pro’s:6 Creed doesn’t require dialing in magazines and has a lot more options for factory ammo. No fire forming.

Cons: A bit more recoil, burns 10 grs more powder on average, and scorches barrels quicker. A lot quicker according to many. This may lend to the idea of being hard to tune because people are chasing the lands and velocity decreases vs slow and steady of the BR based stuff.

If you don’t reload look at 6GT or 6 Creed. If you do reload I would say do a 28” 6BR, run it low and slow and you don’t have to fire form. Easy peasy.

Outstanding. The BR sounds like the ticket then. My girlfriend wants to start competing with me at some point too, and she wants as low recoil as is possible. And I enjoy reloading a whole lot. So I guess the final question then is, how do you overcome the feeding issues associated with the 6BR?

Thanks to all that had advice for my ejection problem with my new Savage elite. I have five Savage target actions and the are all weak on ejection with the 6 BR or 6PPC .The single shot actions ,it doesn’t bother me as much . I bought two of the Savage enhancement kits .This just cured all the issues.
You would have thought that Savage could have built a better ejector like the enhanced kits ! Thanks to all of you that share advice on this site .Bruce

Outstanding. The BR sounds like the ticket then. My girlfriend wants to start competing with me at some point too, and she wants as low recoil as is possible. And I enjoy reloading a whole lot. So I guess the final question then is, how do you overcome the feeding issues associated with the 6BR?

That will be the trick, do some googling

Reactions: NaciremaToirtap
HRD, Primal rights, and PVA make mag kits. All depends on what system you're running.

For reloading, search accurateshooter for load data. Those guys love some 6BR and 6BRA.

Irony. I was just reading about them and sending them questions not more than five minutes before I came here and read your response. So which platform works best for 6s? I’m also shopping for a custom action, and am very undecided.

Again, a very sincere thank you. I really appreciate it all
For the br cases I like a mechanical ejector rather than a spring loaded one.

The spring will try to push the case out off the bolt face as soon as possible... which can sometimes be while it’s still inside of the action.

A mechanical ejector doesn’t try to push the case out off the bolt face until the bolt is at the rear of its travel to hit the ejector so you eliminate that early drop issue entirely.

That’s not to say the spring loaded don’t work alright as plenty use them to great effect, I just like the mechanical.

Bighorn/Zermatt and ARC are the two companies I would lean towards myself for a br based repeater. But it’s hard to find a bad option these days if you’ve seen it mentioned on the hide.

For the br cases I like a mechanical ejector rather than a spring loaded one.

The spring will try to push the case out off the bolt face as soon as possible... which can sometimes be while it’s still inside of the action.

A mechanical ejector doesn’t try to push the case out off the bolt face until the bolt is at the rear of its travel to hit it so you eliminate that early drop issue.

That’s not to say the spring loaded don’t work alright as plenty use them to great effect, I just like the mechanical. Bighorn/Zermatt and ARC are the two companies I would lean towards myself for a br based repeater.

Excellent! I have always like ARC a whole lot, and besides price, I can’t understand why they’re not the most popular. I was leaning toward one already. Thanks for backing that up for me!