• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6 dasher vs 6br vs 6xc

My experience with the BR based cases is limited to the BR, Dasher and BR-X. I do not have experience with tye BRA but considering that my 6mm BR is running 26" long and 105s at 2900fps with 30gr of 4166 I have little need to go 25-50fps faster by fireforming. Tye same barrel does 2970 with 105s if i just put another 1.2gr in the case. Hot but not cratering or leaving swipes.

My AICS mag kit is extremely reliable and have worked well for a couple hundred users who have issues with other kits rolling over the follower or nose diving in use.

http://patriotvalleyarms.com/6mm-br-6mm-dasher-mag-kit-aics/

as far as the cases being fussy to load that is something that can be dealt with on the reamer design. I get hundreds of rounds of easy loading, reliable, extremely accurate rounds from my barrels between cleaning.

anyone who has watched or been part of the Mason Dixon series the past 2 years has seen me do well with a Dasher and a BR. Out of all the matches this year (9) there were 8 of 9 won by 6mm rifles I built and 5 of those 8 were a BR/Variant... 3 of those being wind from a BR

@sheldonN and craigos are both shooting Dashers from me and are having the typical results I mention.

My experience with the BRX is similar. I ise the Dasher because I have a LOT of fireformed Dasher brass and very little from a BRX. It did nothing different than the Dasher for me but since I had Dasher dies and not 6BR dies at the time I couldnt validate having both. I blew open the chamber, re-fireformed the brass and just moved on. Different shape of the same flavor donut. For those looming at either, unless you already habe 6 BR dies just flip a coin. If you have the 6BR dies then use the BRX.

my Dasher barrels have gone as follows:

1) 105 hybrids for 2100rd then 1100 more 105 amax. 3200rd it was down to 2820fps and barely holding 1/2moa. Toast

2) 2700 105s and down to 2910fps, pulled it still shooting appx .3-.35

this is tye barrel that started as a BR-X and I rechambered it.

3) 2550 105s started at 3015fps amd dropped to 2945fps. I pulled it to spin on a 6BR as a trainer.

Here is a link to my AICS mag kit for BR variants. It works gor Grendel/variant cases too

The Norma brass is convenient, expensive co.pared to Lapua and ends up basically being the same price as the Lapua onve fireforming is factored in.

In my experience, doing it all again...
i would go Norma brass Dasher but with some tweaks to the reamer so that it gets more reliable eithout so much cleaning.

My experience with the BR based cases is limited to the BR, Dasher and BR-X. I do not have experience with tye BRA but considering that my 6mm BR is running 26" long and 105s at 2900fps with 30gr of 4166 I have little need to go 25-50fps faster by fireforming. Tye same barrel does 2970 with 105s if i just put another 1.2gr in the case. Hot but not cratering or leaving swipes.

Josh - Been thinking of going with a 6BR for a local match gun, trainer. You recommend 4166 over Varget now? How's the barrel life on the 6BR over a Dasher or BRX?

Maybe this has already been asked

Will a 6dasher feed and eject reliably from an AI action ?
If it matters an AXMC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my experience, doing it all again...
i would go Norma brass Dasher but with some tweaks to the reamer so that it gets more reliable eithout so much cleaning.

I agree. Persoanlly, I'd like an extra .0005"-.001 clearance in the neck and the leade pushed out maybe .02" .04" depending on what bullet I settle on. As my reamer came, the COAL is the same as an off the shelf PTG 6BR Norma Match reamer. I can push a bullet back in a fired case but it won't drop in. I just skim turned 50 cases to see if it makes any difference in accuracy, etc. Without calling Shiraz and asking, I figure they spec'd the reamer so it could be shot safely with no neck turn but figured everyone was going to skim them anyway.

Something else the OP may consider is Lapua 6BR brass is sold out almost everywhere. I just gave a buddy 200 old cases so he didn't have to just sit on a BRX project that will be finished in a week or two. Make sure you can get the brass before you commit to anything.

As far as the Norma brass goes, I've not had the issue many complain about. It's very consistent. I don't fire form shit. The initial load is the same load we shoot in matches. Have not lost a case to any sort of damage yet with 4+ firing on many. I don't look for, or require 15+ firing from brass. I buy enough brass to go the life of the barrel and when the barrel stops shooting it gets pulled and it all goes in the trash. Life is too short to be fucking with hard primary extraction.

Edit: I wonder if my Dasher experience is good because I have no Lapua Dasher background? I didn't come into this project with any pre-conceived notions on what it should or shouldn't be or how it is "supposed " to perform.

Last edited:
Reactions: BudgetBuilder
Something else the OP may consider is Lapua 6BR brass is sold out almost everywhere. I just gave a buddy 200 old cases so he didn't have to just sit on a BRX project that will be finished in a week or two. Make sure you can get the brass before you commit to anything.

Not anymore, Grafs, Powder Valley, OTM and others all got stock in recently. I have 400 cases that should be here tomorrow.

Are you having to neck turn?? I read a write up on the cartridge and it mentioned a fair bit of neck turning due to some minor growth in the neck shoulder junction after having already been turned.

Nope, my gunsmith had a custom reamer made up, no neck turn. I banged out a 4.2 inch group of 10 shots at 800 metres during fireforming with 95gr vlds...this thing shoots.

Josh - Been thinking of going with a 6BR for a local match gun, trainer. You recommend 4166 over Varget now? How's the barrel life on the 6BR over a Dasher or BRX?

That is how I landed on it. More barrel life, super easy loading (open blue box, load, shoot), amd great performance. I am running 95 TMK at 3065 and loving it.

I started with 4166 cuz I had 16lb on the shelf and it was supposed to be like varget. Speed was great, accuracy is excellent, it loads very similar to varget and guys who have shot out 6BR say 4000rd is reasonable

It sometimes runs in AI's

if you can get ahold of a couple.pieces of BR brass to try it out I have a test procedure listed on my website along with a kit with 1 empty, 1 dummy. I had a bunch of folks ask for a couple pieces of brass to test with so I figured out what were to ship it CONUS

http://patriotvalleyarms.com/6mm-br-ejection-test-kit/

Reactions: Colt1776
Just for the heck of it I wanted to see how fast 95smk's would go in my 6x47. If curious of the results go to the reloading depot in the 6x47 thread. Start load was 3378 fps!!!

With the budget of an AI AX, why don't you 6mmbr shooters check out the swiss Grunig&Elmiger or Bleiker CISM matchrifles? Both come with 10 round double stack mags designed for rapid fireing with 6br and triggers that are equal or better than Anschutz. All factory.

2126.jpg

2136.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender
With the budget of an AI AX, why don't you 6mmbr shooters check out the swiss Grunig&Elmiger or Bleiker CISM matchrifles? Both come with 10 round double stack mags designed for rapid fireing with 6br and triggers that are equal or better than Anschutz. All factory.

Can I get it in a Lefty?

Both my AICS and ARC mags run great but I have modified the feed lips on the AI mag to feed while the weight of the rifle is resting on the mag itself . This should be done on any caliber rifle you shoot in the PRS to keep from getting in a bind on a obstacle at roof top. Hs precision make a great tool so you can mod the feed lips

Are you running a control round feed action?

I was fireforming my dasher brass yesterday. I've never been this excited about a setup. Fireforming with 30 gr of V, Idecided to just shoot a group. One ragged hole. The Labradar was getting cussed at bc it wouldn't read. Wasn't till I was on my way home and realized I didn't arm it!

Why not shoot a 6x47 L and just use less powder to extend barrel life? Will running it at dasher velocities not work?

Seems like one eats up barrel life by fireforming cases.

Josh convinced me to go the Norma Dasher route when I put together my TL3. I'm glad he did. I picked up 500 pieces of gen 1 norma brass that a forum user had with 340pieces new and the rest 1x fired with a beastly load of xbr. Dunno his chamber spec, or what action he ran but the 1x case heads are heavily extractor swipped. Primers take a little less preassure to seat in the 1x, but still significant. Loaded em with 31.5grns varget and 105hybrid @2870 from 26"and they are all under half moa if I do my job. TL3 chews through the bust up case heads no matter. The 50 1xfired cases are now 50 6xcases no primers lost in the process. I do love my lapua brass in 308 and x47 but the Norma is no slouch In my opinion.

Would be curious to see if the extra 50thou neck, and lower charge weight equates to longer barrel life in the norma.

Interesting development, Bullets.com is closing up shop. They were the sole source of the Norma Dasher Brass, so unless someone else picks up the distribution once it's gone, it's gone.

He has a ton in stock right now, deeply discounted. I think 100 cases of lot#2 is $79. Might be a good time to stock up. I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with the Norma Dasher or have my reamer re-ground to something like a 6BRA...

Couple questions in regards to the 6 BR...
What are you guys running for barrel length/speed? I'm thinking of setting up a short (20-22") BR that I can use for some local matches (600 yd cap) and varmint hunting. The plan would be to suppress it down the road. Thoughts?
Can anyone explain the advantages/disadvantages of Lapua vs Norma brass (I understand the slight size differences)?
Where can I find said brass or when will it be back available?

Interesting development, Bullets.com is closing up shop. They were the sole source of the Norma Dasher Brass, so unless someone else picks up the distribution once it's gone, it's gone.

He has a ton in stock right now, deeply discounted. I think 100 cases of lot#2 is $79. Might be a good time to stock up. I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with the Norma Dasher or have my reamer re-ground to something like a 6BRA...

He posted over on accurate shooter in response to the brass question that someone else could start selling it if they chose to.
"Norma 6mm Dasher brass and .284 W brass. Currently we have plenty in stock. However, since it is a Norma product it will be available from the dealers that choose to stock it. Now would be a good time to buy from Bullets.com if you will be needing some in the next year."

He posted over on accurate shooter in response to the brass question that someone else could start selling it if they chose to.
"Norma 6mm Dasher brass and .284 W brass. Currently we have plenty in stock. However, since it is a Norma product it will be available from the dealers that choose to stock it. Now would be a good time to buy from Bullets.com if you will be needing some in the next year."

I went ahead and stocked up on Dasher and 284 Win brass. Enough to last a couple years hopefully.

I'm pretty confident you'll see people start stocking the Dasher brass, people are starting to catch on finally. At least around here guys replacing barrels are switching to the Norma reamer, and even a few guys trimming the Norma brass now.

284 Win I'm not sure about. I don't have a gauge on how popular it is anymore. Hopefully, someone will pick it up.

I’ll throw this out, because I want to know. What about 6 competition match? I remember this was team LRI’s favored round. Seems efficient with good barell life?

Last edited:
I’ll throw this out, because I want to know. What about 6 competition match? I remember this was team LRI’s favored round. Seems efficient with good barell life?
There is nothing magical about the 6 Comp Match cartridge design. The powder is what got people the improved barrel life. If you don't run H1000 the 6 Comp Match does nothing different to the throat that a 243, 243 AI, 6 SLR, etc doesn't do. Shoot H4350 in it and you have a 1200-1400 round barrel.

Similarly if you put H1000 into any of those other cases, 6 Creedmoor included, the barrel life is increased substantially.

The Dasher/BR/BRA/BRX/etc variants use 35% less powder to push the same bullet at 125-200fps slower. The barrel life of the little 6BR is well documented to go 4000rd and still maintain F-class midrange winning performance (3" at 600yd for 20 shots)

The other thing that the little cases bring is lack of recoil.
Shooting the same bullet at the same speed from the bigger case nets an increase in recoil because there is more powder used to do it. Competition oriented 6mm cases don't recoil a lot to begin with but that's a definitive improvement in positional and hasty-supported shots.

My 26" 6BR is shooting 95 TMK's at 3065, the BC is the same as the 107 SMK, and I'm doing it with 31.2 grains of powder
I shoot 105 Hybrids at 2900fps with 30.0gr of powder.

There is a hotter load for both of them but the brass gets a heavier workout adn there's really no performance boost to pick up the 100fps while abusing the barrel at 65ksi peak pressure. If I need to go 100-125fps faster I can just put the Dasher barrel on there and do the same thing at 58ksi.

The 6 Comp Match a friend is shooting has 48gr of H1000 under a 108 Berger LRBT going 3070fps, so 190fps faster than the 105 Hybrid and only 5fps faster than the 95TMK

6Comp Match (108+48)*3070 = 478,920 (call it engineering units to avoid the complication for right now)
6BR (95+31.2)*3065 = 386,803

(478920/386803)-1 = 23.8% less recoil

Trajectory is essentially identical at 1000yd between these 2. Barrel life could be argued to be the same by those who dedicate and carefully shoot H1000... though my experience is that H1000 in a 6Comp Match is more like 2500-3000rd at the outside.

Reactions: Dirty D and Bender
There is nothing magical about the 6 Comp Match cartridge design. The powder is what got people the improved barrel life. If you don't run H1000 the 6 Comp Match does nothing different to the throat that a 243, 243 AI, 6 SLR, etc doesn't do. Shoot H4350 in it and you have a 1200-1400 round barrel.

Similarly if you put H1000 into any of those other cases, 6 Creedmoor included, the barrel life is increased substantially.

The Dasher/BR/BRA/BRX/etc variants use 35% less powder to push the same bullet at 125-200fps slower. The barrel life of the little 6BR is well documented to go 4000rd and still maintain F-class midrange winning performance (3" at 600yd for 20 shots)

Shooting the same bullet at the same speed from the bigger case nets an increase in recoil because there is more powder used to do it. Competition oriented 6mm cases don't recoil a lot to begin with but that's a definitive improvement in positional and hasty-supported shots.

My 26" 6BR is shooting 95 TMK's at 3065, the BC is the same as the 107 SMK, and I'm doing it with 31.2 grains of powder

There is a hotter load for both of them but the brass gets a heavier workout adn there's really no performance boost to pick up the 100fps while abusing the barrel at 65ksi peak pressure. If I need to go 100-125fps faster I can just put the Dasher barrel on there and do the same thing at 58ksi.

The 6 Comp Match a friend is shooting has 48gr of H1000 under a 108 Berger LRBT going 3070fps, so 190fps faster than the 105 Hybrid and only 5fps faster than the 95TMK

6Comp Match (108+48)*3070 = 478,920 (call it engineering units to avoid the complication for right now)
6BR (95+31.2)*3065 = 386,803

(478920/386803)-1 = 23.8% less recoil

Trajectory is essentially identical at 1000yd between these 2. Barrel life could be argued to be the same by those who dedicate and carefully shoot H1000... though my experience is that H1000 in a 6Comp Match is more like 2500-3000rd at the outside.

Thank you Josh! Exactly what I was wondering.... why not just run H1000 in other cases? If I do a 6 it will be one of these with little brass prep and Long brass life.

Reactions: bohem
You could also look to BRX, which is essentially blown forward BR and uses BR dies. Essentially, the lost barrel life from FF (300 rounds is not trivial) and the up front die costs are worth the extra MV for me.
I will say up front that my experience with the BRX is not first hand. The guy that got me into LR shooting had a BRX and found his fire forming loads to be so accurate that he shot 100-300 yard stages in matches with his fire forming loads and past 300 with formed BRX loads for the extra MV. Do a little poking around on 6mmbr.com and you will find articles where others have had success doing the same thing.

I will say up front that my experience with the BRX is not first hand. The guy that got me into LR shooting had a BRX and found his fire forming loads to be so accurate that he shot 100-300 yard stages in matches with his fire forming loads and past 300 with formed BRX loads for the extra MV. Do a little poking around on 6mmbr.com and you will find articles where others have had success doing the same thing.
I had the same successes with a 6 Dasher. I shot local matches while fireforming in 2016 and won several.

Though I've been quite enjoying my straight up 6BR shooting 95TMK's at 3065 and 105's at 2900

Reactions: Dirty D
An answer to barrel life and accuracy might be 6.5 BRAI ??? 123's at 2850 fps in a 26" on 31 grains of powder??? Might get 4000 - 5000 rounds from it.

With the exception of barrel life the XC looks really attractive to me, are there any downsides that I am missing?

With the exception of barrel life the XC looks really attractive to me, are there any downsides that I am missing?

It was the best compromise for me at the time, large primer so I wouldnt have to ever worry about my firing pin diameter coming in on the unseen ptg action, not 243 scorching hot but still more capable than a br. If youre doing this on an action with a known small firing pin though I think the creed in lapua brass stuffed with cool burning H1000 might be a bit more attractive for barrel life.

That said my xc has given me zero qualms so far other

105 Hybrids around 3000 FPS in the 6XC with 40 gr H4350 was giving me decent barrel life. FWIW, Quickload showed this to be a mild load. Low 50 kpsi IIRC. Pressure = heat. This rifle saw a couple matches, but mostly training which can vary, sometimes round count is still high. I was approaching 1700 rounds and the rifle was still holding 3040 FPS and single digit SD. Groups were still good.

I just sold the rifle so I wont get to see that barrel give it up. It was a Bartlein and to note I was shooting coated bullets so there could be some benefit there, if you want to screw with it. Sometimes I consider not messing with coating anymore though.

I have shot 2 Dasher barrels. I didn't make 1800rds on the first and I doubt I'll make 1800-2000 on the second. Both shooting 105's at 2950'ish. Switch to DTACs when the throat grows too long. They fed great out of a TL-3.... until they didn't. I never felt underpowered to the guys running 6creeds at 3100+ but I got tired of dicking with mags, mag kits, and Varget. Varget is a great powder; accurate, stable, fast, even available, but it eats throats. It is hard on barrels. After shooting it in 47L's and Dashers I want a cartridge where Varget isn't the go-to powder.

I don't have strain gauges but currently I'm leaning towards the school of thought that chamber pressure is an indicator of a load that is hot and eats barrels. I don't think it really matters that a Dasher uses 32grs of powder while "X" cartridge uses 45grs of a different powder. If you run a Dasher at 55K + psi you're not going to get the conventional school of thought 2500rds+. Same for the BR. Have folks gotten 4000rds from BRs? Sure, but you aren't. I've been that guy too many times, reading other folks amazing stories and when I try it, my barrels just don't end up being those unicorn barrels. Often when you dig deep on those folks you find out they own their own lathes and set the barrels back every 500rds or they are 32" tubes or they stopped shooting 600yd mid range at 2000rds with it, etc. If you run a BR at Dasher speeds I'm betting you won't get 4000rds. If you run a Dasher at close to 3000 with a 26-27" barrel you will be doing good to do 1800.

I considered running the Dasher at BR speeds but then I'd still be dicking with mags so I wanted to find a cartridge capable of running at 3200 and load it with a slow burning powder at around 3000. I'm not getting out of Dasher but I'm going to experiment for a barrel with this theory.

I had a 1:7" proof chambered in 6SLR. Truthfully, I might prefer 6Creed just for the Lapua brass but I need one of the larger 6mm cartridges. An XC or 47 downloaded 150-200fps is going to be something like 2850fps. They are too small. Just at 200rds on the 6SLR Barrel and I am shooting 115 DTACs at 3025fps with 44grs of RL26. At 300yds that is giving me .6" vertical groups in 20-30 mph winds, repeatedly. That same load of 26 under Hybrids in QL shows 48K psi and chronos at 3070. Still need to slow it down a little and try H1000. And guess what? Feeds out of AW, ARC, and AI mags like a champ. Brass costs about $40 a hundred.

I began measuring throat erosion every 100rds to see how much of a beating the barrel was taking. I've found that .005" erosion per hundred will equate to a heavily fire-cracked barrel at 1000+ rds. The first Dasher barrel was growing .004" per hundo, the second is growing around 4 thou per hundred. It started out at .003" and after a two day match it just started eroding faster, not sure why but it does now. The SLR has eroded .005" over its 200rds. I'm not saying that's conclusive but it's a good sign and I will see how this experiment shakes out.

The Dasher and BR are great cartridges; very accurate and easy to tune. They can be made to feed decently with a good mag kit (when you can find them). The current brass shortage will probably be solved in 6 months or so. But just expect 1800-2000rds with them. Don't hinge your COA on being the guy that gets 3-4K rds on a 26" barrel especially if you favor accuracy. If you're considering 6XC I would encourage you to look at 6Creed and resist the urge to run it over 3050.
Iagree with you about Varget, I am not a fan of it whatsoever.
Varget eats throats, it's prone to carbon rings, it's lot to lot inconsistent and it's almost as hard as H4350 to find.

I shot out a Dasher barrel with H4895 going 3000fps, took me 2785 rounds til it wouldn't hold 3/8MOA and had slowed below 2940

The last 2 Dasher I shot out, as well as my current 6BR, are using IMR 4166. Burn speed is similar to Varget, it's temp stable like Varget.
My last 2 Dashers both exceeded 3000rd with the criteria I wrote a couple of lines up. THe 6BR has about 3350 on it right now and it has not slowed now is it showing signs yet of throwing shots. It's still shooting in the low 0.1's (and that barrel is a button rifled OEM barrel like what I'm putting on the Hancocks)

Last edited:
I have been running 6 BRX for 2 years and am on my 5th and 6th barrels right now on my 2 rifles. Ran them from 3 different actions (TL2, Atlas, and now a Lone Peak Fuzion) From AICS mags with the Primal Rights kit in them, I've never had a feeding problem. Playing with AW's in the Fuzion now with Josh's spacer in it and also going to test the HRD kit as well. So far Josh's (patriot valley) seems to be working well but haven't had it out in dirty, nasty conditions yet.

We'll see but I will say that the HRD is the first and only AW mag conversion I've seen that reliably feeds 6br in an AI AX without any action modifications of any kind and I'm looking forward to playing with that as well.

As for barrel life, I've been pulling them at about 1800 for major match use, that said they have all shot well at that point but I didn't want to risk a big match result on trying to milk them farther. That said, I have one that I've shot past 2100 so far (training and local matches after it was originally pulled) and it's still shooting good, I suspect that they will go to 2300-2500 before they really go south with the loads I run. I've almost universally run them hard, 33.3-33.5 gr of Varget pushing 105's at 3030. I also had one that was a tight bore that I couldn't run Varget in without pressuring out before 2900 fps. That one I ran 35.8 gr of H4350 in with 115 Dtacs @ 2980 Shot real well like that but you need to pour the powder slow with a 6" drop tube to get it all in the case hahahahaha. All of them were 26 or 28" and I never really saw a difference so my most recent one is at 24" and I'll see how that goes.

As Josh mentioned Varget is prone to producing carbon rings and therefore I clean them out well about every 300 rounds and that seems to keep them happy. I've never been able to match the velocity I get from Varget with H4895 without getting weird pressure spikes when it gets hot out, could be the lot I have or could be a quirk with the BRX vs a Dasher as I know a few guys having great results with it from the dasher.

As to using a regular 6 BR die set, the seater is good to go, but you'll run into issues with primary extraction after a few firings by using the regular br sizer. The cup in the br case is pretty shallow and without being able to properly size the base area of the case, you will run into issues after 3 or 4 firings. I highly suggest getting the Redding 6 BRX Type S die from ARX Enterprises. It's a proper sizing die and fixes the primary extraction issue. I've got 700 pieces of brass at about 7 or 8 firings and its still ruing strong.

Works great in my mausingfield and ARC 10 round magazine. No mag kit required so I can load those 110s long. 135fb, 272 neck. Wouldn't change a thing. Fwiw 32.9 @2955 and 70 thou jump is where my dasher shoots best

Is this 30.0 gr of imr 4166?
And what are you using for 4166 in the dasher?

For you lefthanders out there. Here is a Gruenig&Elmiger CISM rifle in 6BR with 10 shot mags for rapid fire 300m.
List price is app $5400 in Switzerland.
15.1000.jpg

Beautiful rifles!!!
I don't think its that easy to get them in the US, it will cost you.
As far as barrel life, my 6brx has 2783 shots, 115s at 2970-3000 fps, shot it today at 600, stellar, 0 vertical but the wind killed me, as always.
In my experience, what kills the barrel is the heat, so I try not to fire a bunch in a row, has worked so far. My 6.5x47 has 2400 shots, 140s at 2930 fps and still shoots very well.

"With the exception of barrel life the XC looks really attractive to me, are there any downsides that I am missing?"

Aside from barrel life..... probably not. Especially since Peterson started making SRP XC brass. I've heard it measures very consistent.

That brass is yet to be released. David Tubb has been testing it and the first batch didn't meet his standards. The second batch did though but it remains to be seen whether there is any advantage with the small primer pocket vs large.

If you use 30gr of 4166 in the 6BR what do you run in a Dasher? 31gr?

I am looking to try 4166 in a Dasher but wonder if their is a go to load to fireform?

Thanks

Just a heads up to those looking for another mag kit option.

I ordered up some HRD Gear Mag Kits for my 6BR. They are a complete kit with spring, follower, and spacer. I am not expert but would guess he is using milled derlin or something like that, very high end product.

I am using AW mags with the new Defiance Elite action and so far things are looking very good. I have no doubt that these would work in an AT/AX set up as well.

Reactions: trophyhunter
I just fired some hydroformed dasher brass with 32.5 grains of 4166 and got 2940 FPS with 107 grain Sierras from a 24 inch barrel. It looks like I can find a good node somewhere around there. I don’t think I will try driving them over 3,000 fps

If you use 30gr of 4166 in the 6BR what do you run in a Dasher? 31gr?

I am looking to try 4166 in a Dasher but wonder if their is a go to load to fireform?

Thanks
I shoot appx 32.5 in my Dasher with 105's though that isn't a load that I'd take to the bank just yet. It would likely win a field match but that load is more to validate pressure limit calculations than anything else. I have not shot enough 4166 in a Dasher to really give reports on it. Typically the Dasher runs 8% more powder overall than the BR does. So if someone says they're using 30gr in a BR then (0.08*30)+30 = 32.4gr is going to be around your limit with the Dasher. This number is just rough to get you in a ballpark, it's not a hard and fast rule.

Reactions: Raufoss
I shoot appx 32.5 in my Dasher with 105's though that isn't a load that I'd take to the bank just yet. It would likely win a field match but that load is more to validate pressure limit calculations than anything else. I have not shot enough 4166 in a Dasher to really give reports on it. Typically the Dasher runs 8% more powder overall than the BR does. So if someone says they're using 30gr in a BR then (0.08*30)+30 = 32.4gr is going to be around your limit with the Dasher. This number is just rough to get you in a ballpark, it's not a hard and fast rule.

What would you recommend as a good forming load with 110 Smk?

The HRD kit is awesome, Dan is a good dude and local shooter. So far I have run 150ish 6br loads through my AI AT and it has been flawless, even in crappy Colorado sandstorms. You can't run the bolt back slow without getting that short fired case spun around inside the action but running it at normal or fast speeds you won't have an issue. I'll probably try a John Hancock in Dasher or BRX or I'll just keep it a straight BR, haven't decided.

Just a heads up to those looking for another mag kit option.

I ordered up some HRD Gear Mag Kits for my 6BR. They are a complete kit with spring, follower, and spacer. I am not expert but would guess he is using milled derlin or something like that, very high end product.

I am using AW mags with the new Defiance Elite action and so far things are looking very good. I have no doubt that these would work in an AT/AX set up as well.

Reactions: trophyhunter
No thanks. My 6BR based cartridges feed great. 6x47 uses way more powder and the barrel life is much, much shorter.

BRX is really good too. One of the guys we run with uses it in PRS/NRL matches. He crushes it with the BRX. He converted from 6x47. If BRX is your choice, have Travis Stevens build it. He is all dialed in with that cartridge

6BR is way better than the others. Load development for 6BR is stupid easy :) Something special about that cartridge.
What action are you feeding out off ? Just put my 6 BR barrel on my new Savage 110 elite precision and it won’t eject the brass, the case is so d as short it turns to the side when pulling out and drops off of bolt . My 6 xc performance is great on this action.?

What action are you feeding out off ? Just put my 6 BR barrel on my new Savage 110 elite precision and it won’t eject the brass, the case is so d as short it turns to the side when pulling out and drops off of bolt . My 6 xc performance is great on this action.?
I'd try putting a stronger ejector spring in it. I'm running a br on a tikka action and a dasher on a impact action that both run flawelessly. I had a lot of trouble with the tikka not feeding untill I got met 6br mags. Now it's great