• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors $600 to have a trust drawn up?

BaileyMoto

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2010
Basra, Iraq.
www.mk12.net
I'm not sure I even need to ask this question...but that's quite high, no? I won't mention names, but that is what I was quoted for the service. I believe this is a a firm that gets in contact with ones state, then probably splits (doubles) the cost.

I have been having a hard time finding a lawyer in NM that is familiar with gun trusts.

Anywho...I imagine I probably shouldn't consider a $600 price?

Re: $600 to have a trust drawn up?

1st could not find one in Utah to do a NFA trust for less than 5000.00

2nd sherif would have sighned but I dident want to need his approvel

3rd wanted trust so family could have NFA stuff

4th quicken was free easy and valid so I used it

5th no regrets it's all done and valid

But most nfa trusts are around 200

When I looked around in CO, the going rate was $600 - $1200. Some attorneys will use a more or less standard template (copyrighted) by a firm in FL. I couldn't find one for less than $600.

Opinions will vary on whether you need an attorney to write it up or not. To me, it was worth it.

oh not this shit again!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh not this shit again!</div></div>

yeah.....and to think that these barristers don't even use lubrication and offer no kisses neither.....

me thinks my Heeb friends call this a "schtookin"

Yea, those bastards, trying to earn a living!

cool.gif

find a lawyer that specializes in estate law and NFA laws. not many out there! so pay the 600 from that guntrust dude and be done with it. Cuz if you do it wrong and nfa approves it IT doesn't mean your off the hook. You'll spend thousands in legal fees to defend yourself down the road.

$600 seems a little high to me, but it also seems to be a pretty niche market, so they get to charge whatever the market will bear. We have a local lawyer that is very familiar with NFA trusts that will do it for around $300, so they can definitely be had for less. You should see what you are getting for the money also...sometimes the $300-$600 not only covers the original document, but also any future amendments and legal advice regarding the trust.

I paid what they asked for because I knew I wanted the security of a lawyer written trust that was also in compliance with my state regs. I know that if something were to happen to me my family and son will have no troubles collecting those items. Quicken Willmaker is not the route I would suggest. They language is not specific and to broad.

A trust that you use for firearms should be language specific FOR firearms. Not a computer document that you fill in the blanks.

$600.00 is a drop in the bucket compared to what you could deal with should they ever declare the Quicken based trusts invalid due to non compliance with state laws.

Spend the money on a lawyer. I can't stress it enough.

I remembered this Texas Gun Talk forum. One of the sponsors of the forum is a lawyer in Houston, he is an NFA owner and does legal stuff for trusts and other NFA stuff. He may be able to help even though he is in Texas. Here is a link.

http://www.texasnfatrust.com/

Supply and demand. Niche market with no good alternatives when you need it. Quicken risks exposure - the legal system is designed that way by lawyers to increase society's dependence on them. I don't like to ask anyone for permission for anything, let alone a sheriff.
No one thinks the price is reasonable, but it is the going rate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

me thinks my Heeb friends call this a "schtookin"</div></div>

Holy shit! that is funny!

Do you have a corporation? Corps can own NFA and the NFA may be used by the officers in the Corporation. Finger print cards and CLEO sign-offs are not required.

Just another option..many people already have Corporations for business or property holding(s) and can use this option.

$600, or the cost of three tax stamps. Or a decent rimfire suppressor and a stamp. Or half of a good rifle-caliber suppressor. Sounds like, given the scale of spending we are talking about, spending the money is a decent investment.

$200-$300 is the cheapest I have ever heard of for a lawyer. Unless you are shopping at Joe's Gun Shop and Law Group, I would think the gun shop is using something like Quicken Trusts which is not the same as having a qualified lawyer prepare it. I'm not saying that one way is better than the other, just be aware that the gun shop is probably not going to provide any legal support should something go wrong with the trust and they are probably not well versed in trust law.

I paid 435.00 about a month ago and still waiting here in Texas..

Juanjo

A lawyer did my trust here in Florida. $200.00

I thought it was a good deal at the time, and still do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Juanjo322</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I paid 435.00 about a month ago and still waiting here in Texas..

Juanjo
</div></div>

Who did you use?

I got lucky and had a lawyer come through one ofthe long range shooting courses I help out with. I helped him with his shooting all weekend, and he drew me up a trust in return. I didn't realize lawyers charged these kind of prices for a trust. seems like it's just a standard word document where you fill your name in and have it notarized

I have a buddy who is a lawyer and did mine for a bunch of beer! He is super smart and works for a top oil and gas firm here. It has worked fine so far and I would have expected 400-500 if I paid cash and didnt know him so well. PG

That's insane. Local C3 dealers have a trust drawn up, all you do is fill in the blanks, and it's free. I've heard that Quicken has a trust program also.

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's insane. Local C3 dealers have a trust drawn up, all you do is fill in the blanks, and it's free. I've heard that Quicken has a trust program also.

1911fan</div></div>

Would you want your $50,000+ collection of NFA weapons to be legally registered to, and owned by, a legal entity that turns out down the road to have been invalid and poorly constructed?

The whole thing is a racket, but the cost of a problem is considerably higher than the cost of paying the extortion fee.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arbiter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would you want your $50,000+ collection of NFA weapons to be legally registered to, and owned by, a legal entity that turns out down the road to have been invalid and poorly constructed?</div></div>

Considering the delay while my dealer's trust documents were vetted by the BATFE, and his lawyers argued with their lawyers until everyone was happy, I think my trust is GTG. That took almost a year due to the legal wrangling.

Also, while I'm no lawyer, if the BATFE approves a transfer to a trust and later decides it doesn't like the trust, seems like the worst they could do is ask you to revise it. I'd be interested in any legal precedents for this, though I haven't been able to find any.

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arbiter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would you want your $50,000+ collection of NFA weapons to be legally registered to, and owned by, a legal entity that turns out down the road to have been invalid and poorly constructed?</div></div>

Considering the delay while my dealer's trust documents were vetted by the BATFE, and his lawyers argued with their lawyers until everyone was happy, I think my trust is GTG. That took almost a year due to the legal wrangling.

Also, while I'm no lawyer, if the BATFE approves a transfer to a trust and later decides it doesn't like the trust, seems like the worst they could do is ask you to revise it. I'd be interested in any legal precedents for this, though I haven't been able to find any.

1911fan </div></div>

HAHA! They dont ASK you to do shit. They send you a letter and say "your trust has been ruled invalid with local and federal regulations". Keep using that Quicken programs and make it harder for your heirs to inherit those NFA items down the road.

I had a local lawyer read the Quicken document to consider using it. He is not an NFA lawyer and the first thing he said was "this is far to broad of a document, it contains no specific language as to what you want. And what you want is a NFA specific gun trust, to protect yourself of course."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HAHA! They don't ASK you to do shit. They send you a letter and say "your trust has been ruled invalid with local and federal regulations". Keep using that Quicken programs and make it harder for your heirs to inherit those NFA items down the road. </div></div>

I'm not using Quicken. As posted above, my trust is a combined effort by BATFE and my dealer's attorney.

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HAHA! They don't ASK you to do shit. They send you a letter and say "your trust has been ruled invalid with local and federal regulations". Keep using that Quicken programs and make it harder for your heirs to inherit those NFA items down the road. </div></div>

I'm not using Quicken. As posted above, my trust is a combined effort by BATFE and my dealer's attorney.

1911fan </div></div>

I got that much. But I am also saying what the BATFE would say should they find that Quicken is invalid with state and federal regs. Which I have a feeling one day they will determine that. It cant just be gossip if it is talked about widespread. I have even spoke with a couple dealers that are not comfortable with Quicken and will refer you to a NFA specific lawyer.

Oh hell no, it should not cost you more than $200....then you have to pay for the tax stamp. Once you have a trust you can get as many cans as you wish and the wait time will be 1/3 the amount of time your original ppwk did. All they do is add the serial number to your trust number.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Once you have a trust you can get as many cans as you wish and the wait time will be 1/3 the amount of time your original ppwk did. All they do is add the serial number to your trust number. </div></div>

who does your form 4's cause none of mine have been in 1/3 of the original time and I have a trust setup by my NFA lawyer $250... hell i'd even settle for 1/2 the time

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh hell no, it should not cost you more than $200....then you have to pay for the tax stamp. Once you have a trust you can get as many cans as you wish and <span style="color: #FF0000">the wait time will be 1/3 the amount of time your original ppwk did</span>. All they do is add the serial number to your trust number. </div></div>

That is completely false information.

And tell me which lawyer provides a fully insured trust for out of state clients that also has it proof read by one of their in state lawyers for their clients needs for $200.00??

I guess I cheated on my trust.. before I ever bought my first NFA item I would always hang out at the range and see all the cool toys. Well in one of these visits I notice a gentleman there and low and behold he was a lawyer that had a thing for machine guns and "other" items. Well I asked and of course he was very willing to help me build a trust that would keep my items safe. I mostly think he just copied his and inserted my info, but hey if $h!T hits the fan I know exactly who to go to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HAHA! They dont ASK you to do shit. They send you a letter and say "your trust has been ruled invalid with local and federal regulations".</div></div>
I'd like to see a copy of that letter if you don't mind.

KYS338, believe me, I have read your vast knowledge about suppressors and I've always considered you one of the opinions I'd deem trustworthy.
However. I'd like to see any cited info showing where any trust has been deemed invalid AND the NFA items were confiscated, a person was fined or jail time was issued. Of the ONE time I've read about a trust being revoked, the person was simply asked to revise it correctly.
In the history of NFA items, what? 80 years or so? Think of the thousands of trusts that were set up, BEFORE NFA LAWYERS and BEFORE QUICKEN.
In the age of the internet, we'd ALL have seen the news paper article that showed where Mr John Doe was arrested, fined 250,000, sent to prison for 30 years and had all his NFA items ceased, and chopped up into little bits, all because his (perfectly legal) trust didn't have specific NFA lingo in it.

The BATFE isn't going around checking up on state and local trust laws. That's not their job.
To my understanding...the only issue would arise, if and when, a person would have an item in their possession and a trust had to be examined.
Like if someone on my trust was stopped with it in his possession and the Sheriff had to check with the ATF to make sure it was purchased on a trust, then investigate the trust to make sure the individual was listed on it.
If Mr John Doe was still alive, he would be allowed to FIX a trust with a problem. If Mr John Doe dies, and his trust is taken to court to be divided up among the beneficiaries in which case...by now, it's too late.
IF YOU HAVE AN INVALID TRUST NOW, you're probably going to have some problems, not likely legal problems...just some serious hoops to hop through.

UNTIL something happens, it's ALL SPECULATION. Take your chance and roll the dice. I personally, have no problem with getting whatever trust you want. Free or $600, but it's never bad to get a second opinion.
My personal choice, was to have a lawyer check over my "quicken" trust BEFORE I added any NFA items into it.

You'd have a VERY hard time convincing me than an NFA item is any different than a hand gun or a hammer for that matter, when it comes to trusting it to a family member.
If the trust is legal in your state, (and if you did get a free or discounted trust, you should double check for sure)... then there is no reason to be concerned about the safety of whatever you put in it.

i had a free copy of a valid trust hosted at google documents. anyone is free to download it and have it looked over by a lawyer. its valid and working for a member of this site living in florida. he allowed me to retype it and post it here for all to use.

have it checked for legality in your state.

It's called the state of Texas bro....call any reputable lawyer and they will do your ppwk for 200 or so. I got mine from the same place I bought my can....very easy.

And yes, once you have a trust and the tax stamp the wait time to purchase another can is reduced. That's just Texas though.

The reason for using a trust is that it eliminates 3 signatures on the ppwk....mainly the clia sign off which is generally the most time consuming.

From start to finish my process took 9 weeks.

You can also download trust docs off the web....but personally I would have someone who knows what they are doing if you go the trust route.

I LIVE IN TEXAS !!!!!!

I have a trust and so far my first Form 4 took 90days the other 2 form 4's are already coming to that 3 month mark and both are pending STILL.

Only advice is I can give you is that after I made a few phone calls there are apparently only 10 or 12, yes, 10-12 or people that can sign off on this type of paperwork. This is probably why it takes so long....if alot of people are putting in paperwork each person generally has 400-800 cases sitting on there desk to approve. Just gotta be patient and hope you don't submit in a busy part of the year. Makes sense, most people probably IMO buy cans during the spring and summer months when the weather is good.

I lucked out and got mine in a relatively short amoount of time.

Best of luck. Hope you get your ppwk and stamp back soon..waiting for a can just flat out sucks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's called the state of Texas bro....call any reputable lawyer and they will do your ppwk for 200 or so. I got mine from the same place I bought my can....very easy.

<span style="color: #FF0000">And yes, once you have a trust and the tax stamp the wait time to purchase another can is reduced. That's just Texas though. </span>

The reason for using a trust is that it eliminates 3 signatures on the ppwk....mainly the clia sign off which is generally the most time consuming.

From start to finish my process took 9 weeks. </div></div>

I don't believe that for one minute. There is no reason that they would speed up your next transfer because you already have one done. I have had a ton of approvals since I started purchasing C3 items, and not one time has it sped up the approval times. It matters what examiner you have at the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HAHA! They dont ASK you to do shit. They send you a letter and say "your trust has been ruled invalid with local and federal regulations".</div></div>
I'd like to see a copy of that letter if you don't mind.

KYS338, believe me, I have read your vast knowledge about suppressors and I've always considered you one of the opinions I'd deem trustworthy.
However. I'd like to see any cited info showing where any trust has been deemed invalid AND the NFA items were confiscated, a person was fined or jail time was issued. Of the ONE time I've read about a trust being revoked, the person was simply asked to revise it correctly.
In the history of NFA items, what? 80 years or so? Think of the thousands of trusts that were set up, BEFORE NFA LAWYERS and BEFORE QUICKEN.
In the age of the internet, we'd ALL have seen the news paper article that showed where Mr John Doe was arrested, fined 250,000, sent to prison for 30 years and had all his NFA items ceased, and chopped up into little bits, all because his (perfectly legal) trust didn't have specific NFA lingo in it.

The BATFE isn't going around checking up on state and local trust laws. That's not their job.
To my understanding...the only issue would arise, if and when, a person would have an item in their possession and a trust had to be examined.
Like if someone on my trust was stopped with it in his possession and the Sheriff had to check with the ATF to make sure it was purchased on a trust, then investigate the trust to make sure the individual was listed on it.
If Mr John Doe was still alive, he would be allowed to FIX a trust with a problem. If Mr John Doe dies, and his trust is taken to court to be divided up among the beneficiaries in which case...by now, it's too late.
IF YOU HAVE AN INVALID TRUST NOW, you're probably going to have some problems, not likely legal problems...just some serious hoops to hop through.

UNTIL something happens, it's ALL SPECULATION. Take your chance and roll the dice. I personally, have no problem with getting whatever trust you want. Free or $600, but it's never bad to get a second opinion.
My personal choice, was to have a lawyer check over my "quicken" trust BEFORE I added any NFA items into it.

You'd have a VERY hard time convincing me than an NFA item is any different than a hand gun or a hammer for that matter, when it comes to trusting it to a family member.
If the trust is legal in your state, (and if you did get a free or discounted trust, you should double check for sure)... then there is no reason to be concerned about the safety of whatever you put in it. </div></div>

I can't cite specific cases to you. But I do know of one person here in my state that was sent a letter by the BATFE. It stated that his current trust could no longer be deemed valid as a form to obtain NFA items. He had done his on Quicken which was downloaded for free. I spoke with him just by chance at our local machine gun shoot. I am usually not one to let rumors full my fire but when you have a more then a few people all concerned for the longevity of Quicken based trusts, it tends to make you think.

No, I don't like shelling out $600.00 for some paperwork but if it secures my future in purchasing these items and then passing them on to my son.... I am all about a lawyer doing it and then double checking it with a local to me lawyer.

I want and BELIEVE in that safety and security. Plus the warranty that if anything ever happened under my trust, they would defend me at no cost.

So what happens when you move from one state where your $600 trust is valid, to a new state where your $600 trust doesn't hold jack shit?

Does your previous lawyer call up your new John Q Lawyer and talk him into modifying one for free or are you going to fork over another $600 for a new one?

I would hope that the lawyer you used to draft the original trust would be willing to have another of his contacts look it over per your new state regs. But you cannot be certain if the lawyer in your new state is going to ask for compensation or not. You will never know unless you call one and ask their procedures. There is nothing that says you cant shop around

Why do you have to do anything with it? The trust is formed and registered in the state it was made in. It's a legal entity which still exists in that state. The location of the trust has no bearing on the location of the trustees.

I was told you could have multiple trustees in multiple states. All in the same trust. And those trustees could transfer items into the same trust so long as the trustee used a dealer in their own state.

Anyone with a JD care to weigh in on this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do you have to do anything with it? The trust is formed and registered in the state it was made in. It's a legal entity which still exists in that state. The location of the trust has no bearing on the location of the trustees.

I was told you could have multiple trustees in multiple states. All in the same trust. And those trustees could transfer items into the same trust so long as the trustee used a dealer in their own state.

Anyone with a JD care to weigh in on this? </div></div>

That's interesting info right there. I don't mind to email that to my local lawyer that proof read the trust for me. I'm sure she can verify.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i had a free copy of a valid trust hosted at google documents. anyone is free to download it and have it looked over by a lawyer. its valid and working for a member of this site living in florida. he allowed me to retype it and post it here for all to use.

have it checked for legality in your state. </div></div>

Where is this puppy posted?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeltaPDesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have a corporation? Corps can own NFA and the NFA may be used by the officers in the Corporation. Finger print cards and CLEO sign-offs are not required.

Just another option..many people already have Corporations for business or property holding(s) and can use this option.

</div></div>

Would an LLC qualify for this as well?