• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

600 yard target shooting ??

Re: 600 yard target shooting ??

Any more developments on these camera systems? I've been testing with just a wireless camera and a laptop but the problem seems to be the camera's zoom ability. I've just been using the built in antennas which suck (maybe 100yards) but with the right antennas I know I can stretch that out.

Mike

One way or another, recognizing where the bullet struck, in a timely manner, is essential to becoming a really good shooter. Calling the shot and plotting the strike/call corollary is an awesome aid to shooter/target analysis. Shooting in competition, where there is pit service, allows for timely analysis. Also, since competition rewards those who have suffered the mental and physical pain of practice, it keeps shooters interested.

assebled all my parts yesterday and tested today to .65 miles. Absolute success. I'm probably going do a how to thread on this with HD video and dSLR presentation. I'm thrilled to death about this. Stand by.

which TX RX did you go with mohave? Im still working on finding a cheap video cam with ZOOM. also trying to get it all easy to transport.

Looking forward to your thread Mohave-Tec!

Perhaps your system will help me decide which way I want to go. Can't decide between the WiFi set-up or transmitters, but been leaning towards transmitters as of late because the amount of camera options.

Here is my thought on a system, let me know all of your thoughts:

Monitor (have one laying around, and don't have a Laptop) Dell 15" LCD:
http://www.lcdnfo.com/html/Dell_E151FPb-lcd-monitor.html

RCA to VGA converter box (VGA is on Monitor):
http://www.amazon.com/Video-VGA-Converter-Switcher-V2VPro/dp/B000XXZQWQ

Transmitter & Receiver Set (the same as thekubiaks but w/o camera & USA Plug Set):
http://www.dinodirect.com/2-4GHz-12CH-Se...SPT2-4G-1w.html

Directional Anntenna?? Unsure, but any will do...

Camera???? Decision is still out on this one. I'm afraid that the RCA to VGA converter will drop a ton of quality making it useless to get a nicer camera. Would like something waterproof & under $200. What do you all think of this one?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5660091&CatId=4443

There are so many wired camera options that I don't know which direction to go. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge can lead the blind in the right direction? For instance whats the difference between box , hi res, and surveillance cameras.

Thank you all in advance,
Jason C.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking forward to your thread Mohave-Tec!

Perhaps your system will help me decide which way I want to go. Can't decide between the WiFi set-up or transmitters, but been leaning towards transmitters as of late because the amount of camera options.

Here is my thought on a system, let me know all of your thoughts:

Monitor (have one laying around, and don't have a Laptop) Dell 15" LCD:
http://www.lcdnfo.com/html/Dell_E151FPb-lcd-monitor.html

RCA to VGA converter box (VGA is on Monitor):
http://www.amazon.com/Video-VGA-Converter-Switcher-V2VPro/dp/B000XXZQWQ

Transmitter & Receiver Set (the same as thekubiaks but w/o camera & USA Plug Set):
http://www.dinodirect.com/2-4GHz-12CH-Se...SPT2-4G-1w.html

Directional Anntenna?? Unsure, but any will do...

Camera???? Decision is still out on this one. I'm afraid that the RCA to VGA converter will drop a ton of quality making it useless to get a nicer camera. Would like something waterproof & under $200. What do you all think of this one?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5660091&CatId=4443

There are so many wired camera options that I don't know which direction to go. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge can lead the blind in the right direction? For instance whats the difference between box , hi res, and surveillance cameras.

Thank you all in advance,
Jason C.

</div></div>

I don't know anything about the RCA to DVD converter. Remember, you're going to have to power it and you'll need A/C power for your monitor.
As for a camera, if you don't want to spend any extra money, by the Rx/Tx set up I bought. See above. I t comes with a CMOS camera that works.

I've done some testing with 801.11G wireless and I think I'm going to try the AV route next. I've ordered a transmitter/receiver and an AV to USB adapter to hook it up to my laptop. For the camera, I have a JVC video camera with AV outs that I rarely use anymore. It has a fantastic zoom ability so I think its going to beat the Wireless cams hands down.

I went with the AV/USB adapter so I could record my shots via the laptop and save snap pics as well. Looks like most of the stuff won't get here to later this month but I'll post here when I get it all in. Great thread guys!

mike

Mohave,
Congrats on your successful build. It isn't too difficult and relatively small and portable. I haven't been monitoring this post for a while, I noticed several questions......

I'm not using IP Cameras. I suppose they would work but seem to be expensive to use for that purpose. My objective is looooong range video for minimal $$$$.

As mentioned above, I am using a 2.4ghz 1000mw transmitter with a 4400mah LIPO batteries from Hobbyking.com.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6504

They have a US warehouse now so shipping times may be reduced. There is a guy in Florida with "almost" China prices on Lipos.

www.rc-dymond.com

With a 4400mah battery, my 1000mw transmitter and camera can sit at the target and transmit continuously for at least 4 - 6 hours without a recharge. Get the lowest C Lipo, such as a 10C or 15C battery. No need to blow $$$ on higher C batteries, the current drain on this setup is only about .5A Just for a refresher on LiPo's a 3S 20C (11.1V) can surge to 60 amps, way more than you need for this application.

As for quality of cameras, the camera is only sitting 10 - 15 feet away from the target. I've used the ebay $10 security cameras and they are acceptable. I am now using this one

http://store.diydrones.com/Mini_high_resolution_CCD_camera_ideal_for_FPV_day_p/cm-26n.htm

and it kicks butt. Worth the $$$ in my opinion.

Regards.

ps. Have a look at this guys setup, he got it working too.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2307937&page=1

heres some basement testing pics taken with a blackberry.
IMG00057.jpg

IMG00059.jpg

IMG00058.jpg

I like that setup!! Is that a 12V monitor and do you think it is big enough?? I'm thinking of getting a 7" LCD monitor that runs off 12VDC from ebay. Regards.

Yep its a 12volt 7 inch tv type. I got off craigs list for 30 bucks. I think its big enough for this applicattion. I couldn't see taking my laptop to the range.

I always have my laptop with me, part of the job. If it turns out that I don't want to record my sessions or images then I may make a box similar to the one posted above. I have several Dewalt tool cases that would be perfect.

What camera are you using for the transmitter side there AR10?

Mike

That is the camera I got from hobby king with the transmitter and receiver. The image quality is not bad for a cheapie camera.
in that pic its about 8 feet in front of the target and about 4 feet to the left.
yeah thats a case from an old skill drill i no longer have. I also want to pick up a DVR like Xshot used on his set up.

Finally my transmitter/receiver came in today! Luckily the transmitter came with the proper connections to hook straight into the camera, so trial hook-up was super easy. Everything seems to be in working order, now it's time to package the whole deal and get a directional antenna.....

Initial impressions are good. Kind of wish I got a different camera because a lot of detail and color are washed away. I think this is because of the night LEDs? I wonder if there is a way to switch these on/off? Either way, picking up 30 cal holes from 15 yards will be super easy, especially with the zoom feature. Plus it's super nice that it's waterproof.

A couple of quick pics of the set-up. Thank u all for your help, and you can see my material list above.

b1d7c0b4.jpg

50845590.jpg

Thanks AR10! Actually had it laying around for about 5 years since college. Finally came in handy.

Surprisingly the attachment plug came with the Transmitter. That's one of the reason's I went with DinoDirect.com system is becuase they offered the english power supply & the attachment you are asking about (plus a little cheaper w/o camera). Sorry I can't help you out beyound that, but it is a slick system because you can plug the 12V supply & Camera power into the TX, and power both with 1 connection.

Quick update, got all the hardware working, just waiting on some batteries still.

Here's a few screenshots from in the house testing distance and resolution of different cameras. There were all captured from my laptop screen using the snip tool.

This is a video camera at 17 feet. Low light so probably better quality in full sun.
videocamera.JPG

This is with my digital camera at same distance and light.
digcamera.JPG

This is the digital camera again but from 8 feet away and a little better light.
digcamera8feet.JPG

The target is an older load development target of my wife's .243. This was all done in my house with all kinds of interference so maybe it would be a little better out in the field. Once I get some batteries I'll give it a try.

Mike

hmmm, im glad i waited... looks like the camera quality is the most important thing to consider. Both digital and analoge transmission can get the job done, but it seems the picture quality is really determined by the camera, not the transmission attenuation.

I think the AV route with a camcorder (esp if you already own one) is the way to go. I wouldnt feel comfortable putting the camera any closer than 20 ft from the target when shooting long range. Plus the sound would be an added benefit aswell.

I was thinking of using my laptop to view it, and connect it to the reciever via this --> http://cgi.ebay.com/Composite-RCA-S-Vide...=item35a7cc6791

Run this 1000mW tranmitter reciever combo --> http://www.dinodirect.com/2-4GHz-12CH-Se...SPT2-4G-1w.html

Chuck the directional antennas on both ends and connect up my camcorder on a tripod with a battery for the transmitter and thats it, for about $180... To go ultra long range, put a 1000mW amplifier on the receiver end and it should throw a good signal further than a 375CT can shoot a bullet...

Let me see if I can dig up what I bought for AV to USB. It was only $6 plus shipping.

Groper, the camera is for sure the weak link, a camcorder with some optical zoom would be best. My set up is going to be pretty close to the target but I think itll be OK.
I got my yagi hooked up and everything in a steel box ready to go on the tripod. I hope to test my system sometime this month.
Wouldnt the AMP need to be on the transmitter?

the transmitter already has 1000mW of power... if you amplify the receiving end aswell, it will get much better range and attenuation.

AR10, watch that steel box (for shielding?) doesnt get too hot in the sun and cook all your gear inside...

Yep, good find on the USB AV converter m1k3!

The only thing I ran into is with Windows 7. It doesn't like the drivers that come with the device. There are drivers available if you do a Google search that work with Windows 7. Seems like it is a common name-brand USB adapter, just doesn't in a package. I'm pretty happy with it for the $6+ I have in it.

Mike

I have a set up and working good out to 1200 yds. 1500mw tx and rx, 10" monitor. So far the rubber duck ant are ok. My problem is audio. I've tried lots of mics from powered shotgun to non powered cardioid, still no sound. All I get is static and hum. I've tested the audio in surroundings with no RFI and still no sound. Anyone using a mic and does it work?
Here is the equipment.
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/produc...mit-System.html

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/CCTV/Camera/PZ0037-2.jpg

I got mine out to the range today, tested at 600 yards with the rubber duck antennas and it worked great. I just need to remount the yagi if i want to stretch it further.
Its nice to see holes in paper so easily at 600.

Anyone using the components that Mohave-Tec is using? I can't get the video connection to work on the hobby king TX with my HD camera.

I went through many permutations except the one that works of course..

Is there something special to connect the 4 wire harness to an RCA jack and power? I get the power but not video. There is a signal there but it is just noise. Channel surfed until I cried...
Red - power
Black - ground
White - ?
Yellow - ?

I tried all sorts of combinations. The components all work with each other when taking the TX to RCA to HD Camera out of the loop. When I hook the input RCA jack up from the HD Cam to the TX I get NO JOY...

Is the yellow or white the ground for the RCA jack? I tried that too...

Any suggestions, a picture?

THX!

I ran into this as well. I have the same set up. the yellow wire is for video the white is for audio...I installed a rca jack onto the yellow wire with the yellow wire connected to the center pin of the connector...the outer connection on the rca jack has to be grounded. so a jumper from black to the outer part of the rca jack is necessary. ive seen pics of other cable adapters that fit the transmitter plug but i dont know where to buy just the cable.

Most, if not all HD cams require a lot of bandwidth to carry a HD signal. Your Tx may not be adequate for the signal ur trying to push.

For ur RCA jack...the Yellow and White wire is your signal (video) and shield. It can only go one way.

Black wire jumper to RCA jack ground, ding ding ding ding! Works like a charm. Thank you!

I actually did think of this during my trouble shooting BUT being a dumb-ass mechanical enginerd I put it on the list of things to check and as a potential source of unwanted sparks and repurchasing of fried components (they don't even taste good with Tabasco
crazy.gif
).

"The Hide" crew comes through, again!

Thanks AR10!

man all of your tech talk has my head spinning.
I would love to have this type of set up... I need a translation book for video electronics!

So if I hook up my kids portable DVD monitor to a receiver and then have a camera/lens transmitting... do the Radio Shacks have these items? I figured I could then just sit in the parking lot and figure it out.

Ar10 I like how yours is in the case, I have a box just like that waiting for this!

The kids DVD monitor will work but your not going to get a transmitter and receiver at radio shack. I got mine out of hong kong through hobby king.

Thought I would give this an update:

Finally had a chance to get out to some distance last week. Shot out to 600, but tested the system as I posted above to about 3/4 mile (ran out of room). All I can say is wow! Picture quality is just as good at 100 as it was past 1300 (with directional antenna). Really want to try it past a mile just to see how far this set-up will go before noticeable break-up.

On top of the performance, not having to go to the target after strings of shots is priceless. Others can probably add to this, but well worth the money in time savings. Can get a lot more trigger time in after work before dark.

Jason

On the transmitter... Can 12v fry that thing if you accidentally hooked it up in reverse? I tried to hook mine up a while back, it got warm... then I did something and it never got warm again and i never figured out how to get a picture to show on the monitor. now all the pieces just sit in a pile wondering what to do with it all. Are these transmitters available seperately? They should be right? If one reciever has 8+ channels, im guessing you could buy extra transmitters for that.

if you hooked up the transmitter backwards its probably fried. it gets warm when working properly.

Mine gets really warm as well, added a computer fan to my box to blow across the Tx and cool it for the summer. Does the screen display the channel anymore?

I read somewhere in one of these threads that you must have an antenna hooked up or that will fry it as well. Did you do this by chance?

Hey AR10,

Yes I am, its a 16db yagi. It's a little awkward to carry around in my set-up, but it works fairly well and is still portable. When I get home tonight I take a pic and post it.

Jason

Here is my set up. 1500MW TX. It's good to 3000yds so far as long as the line of sight is unobstructed. The red poles are used to get the receiving ant up high.
CamTxRxMonitor2.jpg

Monitor1.jpg

ExtenderforRxReceiver.jpg

CamSunHood.jpg

CamTx1.jpg

CasedEquipment.jpg

I posted on this thread my video camera and monitor setup. I am still seeking a High Definition quality picture. Right now I am using my 1680 x 1050 laptop (capable of very high definition) for the video receiver but the secret to this problem is in the transmitting camera. The 1W transmitter and receiver is a piece of cake, I shoot out to a mile with it all of the time, the 1W Tx/Rx has no problems out to a mile. My biggest challenge is seeing paper target hits in the black.

So, I am seeking out anyone that has also built a target range cam setup and have you found a camera capable of HD quality?? Maybe my problem is I want an HD camera for < $50 and even the Chinese don't make them. Cheers
smile.gif

How I see it, the higher the quality the camera the better... and really it isnt the area where you should not spend money. The camera is the first point of call where you close quality, then add leads, transmission, receiver, leads again then monitor. Thats many areas where the signal loses quality. I feel starting with a higher quality camera/image is a big step in receiving a better picture.

That is why I went with a video camera with long life battery. Double the size over the original. Using the video camera you get a get good picture, plus the camera does not need to be close to the target. I set mine out of the firing line and then zoom in.

This picture was taken at 1040m, video camera around 25m from fence post, and zoomed in at about 25-30X from memory!

camerasys750x563.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ackley Improved</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
How I see it, the higher the quality the camera the better... and really it isnt the area where you should not spend money. The camera is the first point of call where you close quality, then add leads, transmission, receiver, leads again then monitor. Thats many areas where the signal loses quality. I feel starting with a higher quality camera/image is a big step in receiving a better picture.

That is why I went with a video camera with long life battery. Double the size over the original. Using the video camera you get a get good picture, plus the camera does not need to be close to the target. I set mine out of the firing line and then zoom in.

This picture was taken at 1040m, video camera around 25m from fence post, and zoomed in at about 25-30X from memory!

camerasys750x563.jpg

</div></div>

Very clean setup, may I ask which video camera you are using??? You got my me rethinking my video source
smile.gif

Cheers

UPDATE: I just figured it out... I'll use my GoPro HD live feed as the camera hooked up to the 2.4ghz Tx/Rx.. Definitely going to the range Monday for a test, I just hope one of the locals doesn't shoot it..

have a look at this
http://www.eyeofmine.com/gopro/hd/live/index.html

On your guys' home made setup's what cameras have you found to work best? Also, it seemed for a while that everyone was saying Yagi's were required for long distances.....all I see are rubber ducky antennas.