• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

600 yard target shooting ??

Re: 600 yard target shooting ??

It really depends on how you want to shoot... rubber antenna on my system worked fine at 1040m, and that was with the transmitter being about 4ft off the ground, and as you can see the receiver being on the ground. There will be a limitation on distance using the 7dbl antenna, but if I reach that then the 20dbl Yagi will be used.

Also, you could go a much less wattage transmitter and then up the dbl in the antenna to get the distance. Ultimately, my transmitter has a lot more wattage than whats needed. This means more power consumption off the 12volt battery.

I am happy with how it works, packs up nicely into one case... easy to transport!

Cheer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thekubiaks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
How I see it, the higher the quality the camera the better... and really it isnt the area where you should not spend money. The camera is the first point of call where you close quality, then add leads, transmission, receiver, leads again then monitor. Thats many areas where the signal loses quality. I feel starting with a higher quality camera/image is a big step in receiving a better picture.

That is why I went with a video camera with long life battery. Double the size over the original. Using the video camera you get a get good picture, plus the camera does not need to be close to the target. I set mine out of the firing line and then zoom in.

UPDATE: I just figured it out... I'll use my GoPro HD live feed as the camera hooked up to the 2.4ghz Tx/Rx.. Definitely going to the range Monday for a test, I just hope one of the locals doesn't shoot it..

have a look at this
http://www.eyeofmine.com/gopro/hd/live/index.html</div></div>

Now that is interesting. How did this camera work? For the price and wireless, I'd pick up a GoPro 960.
Also, would you recommend their wireless system and battery vs the HobbyKing set up? This looks very clean and a "one case" system.
I'd use a laptop as a monitor.

Great topic. My eyes have glazed over a couple times on the details, but I'm hanging in there so far.

All I can contribute is to say I've got a GoPro Hero HD and the problem I see is the lens on that camera. It is VERY wide angle - almost a fisheye lens. It's designed to capture wide scenes up close. Anything more than a few feet away gets tiny real fast. It would have to be very close to the target in order to see something as small as bullet holes. At around $300 (plus memory cards and extra batts), you'd have to mount it inside a heavy steel box for protection.

I've looked around a little for some type of lens adapter for mine, but haven't ever got a whiff of anything.

Here's a place I used to go to when I lived/worked in L.A. If you needed it yesterday, this was the place to go.

On another note, a lot of the turnkey units are designed to penetrate walls, etc. If you wish longer batter life, turn down the power. 100mW into a yagi should be fine if you maintain line-of-sight.

Depending upon the light, there is a good chance you will be able to see your hits, 25X is a lot. Even if you can't at least you will be out shooting and will get a feel for the match.

Ok Fellas
I just purchased this from DinoDirect (on sale)
http://www.dinodirect.com/2-4GHz-4-Chann...er-2-4G-1W.html

My question(s) is, what might be the range with the supplied antennas? Maybe a round about figure? And what would be the next step to further my range? Get Yaggi Antennas?

Thanks.. Already have monitor and JVC Camera..next is batteries though. I'll steal them from the deer feeder.

some guys say they can get to 600 with those antennas...I could not...had to get a yagi. Ive only tried mine out too 600.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thekubiaks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ackley Improved</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
How I see it, the higher the quality the camera the better... and really it isnt the area where you should not spend money. The camera is the first point of call where you close quality, then add leads, transmission, receiver, leads again then monitor. Thats many areas where the signal loses quality. I feel starting with a higher quality camera/image is a big step in receiving a better picture.

That is why I went with a video camera with long life battery. Double the size over the original. Using the video camera you get a get good picture, plus the camera does not need to be close to the target. I set mine out of the firing line and then zoom in.

This picture was taken at 1040m, video camera around 25m from fence post, and zoomed in at about 25-30X from memory!

camerasys750x563.jpg

</div></div>

Very clean setup, may I ask which video camera you are using??? You got my me rethinking my video source
smile.gif

Cheers

UPDATE: I just figured it out... I'll use my GoPro HD live feed as the camera hooked up to the 2.4ghz Tx/Rx.. Definitely going to the range Monday for a test, I just hope one of the locals doesn't shoot it..

have a look at this
http://www.eyeofmine.com/gopro/hd/live/index.html</div></div>
Pretty sweet setup. Wish i had the cash to get one
frown.gif