• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6ARC or 224 Valkryie

Sometimes velocity can beat BC if punching paper at the ranges most shoot. Compare the 80ELD at 3000fps to other heavier, higher bc bullets in both .224 and 6mm. The Valkyrie will push an 80 to 3000 out of a 24" barrel. A 224 Grendel will match that 3000 from a 22" barrel. Seems like the 80 has better drop and drift out to 1000 and possibly 1200yds.

The two best “factory long-distance ar15 cartridges? Compared to what? The 223rem?? I’m glad Hornady doesn’t get to decide what we shoot based solely on what’s factory available. I’ve had a 6 fatrat and a6br in an ar15 platform and if you think there is no advantage over the arc using either of these cartridges I can’t help you. Essentially the fatrat and turbo 40imp are dasherized 6 grendels. Hornady actually went the other way with the arc. I guess you need to tell the brx bra and dasher guys their cartridges are no better than a standard 6br. Do the math. It makes a difference.
My 6br was built using a 458 sotcom bolt and the only problem I ever had with it is I broke an extractor one time so IMO it’s a viable cartridge for the ar15. Took awhile for you to respond.... I could almost hear your Google search engine starting up.

Well bless your little heart, I didn't realize I was speaking to a kid. Did you know most people don't live on the forums for attention, and only check it once a day at best? The stupid stuff in your posts makes more sense now. Run along and play somewhere else.

Well bless your little heart, I didn't realize I was speaking to a kid. Did you know most people don't live on the forums for attention, and only check it once a day at best? The stupid stuff in your posts makes more sense now. Run along and play somewhere else.

just like a liberal. Can’t argue the facts so they resort to name calling.

@Ledzep
great post, good comments. One question: you cite a new 95gr ELD-M bullet - is this a potential bullet or is this something Hornady has announced? I agree with you this is the right bullet weight for this cartridge. A 0.50 G1 BC doing 2850-2900 in a 18-20" gasser would be a very attractive upgrade for the 6ARC's potential.

Regarding that, I'm actually shooting some solids in my 6 ARC, Flatline 88gr and 95gr's. These should do over 2900fps from 18-20" gassers, with G1 BCs at 0.5 to 0.6. Very potent combo.

I've been kind of eyeballing the CLE 6 ARC barrels, debating whether to get one on pre-order, just for the heck of it.

Mostly for target shooting of various kinds... but like you guy mentioned, I've been wondering if stepping the bullet weight down just a fuzz to 90-95gn might open up some mid-range potential for this cartridge. Not every gun *needs* to go long...

Also, I was looking thru my bullet stash for something else, and came across some boxes of 75 & 87 gn V-Max bullets... started thinking those out of an 18" 6 ARC barrel would make a pretty slick little 'yote whacker :unsure::sneaky:

It seems that most of the guys that ran the 6mm AR, AR turbo, 243 LBC, etc... found the happy spot with the 90-95gr pills. I'm shooting factory 105's in my AR right now but I've been collecting brass and will probably be experimenting with 87 V-max's once I get the reloading setup rolling for the AR. The 90gr TMK looks like a solid hitter, too, if accuracy was there.

Reactions: FishinGuns
I kind of wondered about that...

The Grendel guys seemed to (mostly) have settled on the 120 gn bullets being about the realistic max for that cartridge... sorta makes sense that the 6 ARC might do a little better with the 90-95 gn pills, at least for 600 and in.

Reactions: Ledzep
RE bullet weights and 6ARC:

I have got a box of 95gr Flatlines on order. 0.60-ish G1 BC.
I also have my eye on the 88gr Flatline. 0.53-ish G1 BC. This bullet was developed for 300m standard rifle shooting comps and is apparently super easy to find precision (unlike some of the solids).

Either should offer 2900ish MV from a 20" gasser with a 7 twist. My application is critters and targets around my farm.

RE bullet weights and 6ARC:

I have got a box of 95gr Flatlines on order. 0.60-ish G1 BC.
I also have my eye on the 88gr Flatline. 0.53-ish G1 BC. This bullet was developed for 300m standard rifle shooting comps and is apparently super easy to find precision (unlike some of the solids).

Either should offer 2900ish MV from a 20" gasser with a 7 twist. My application is critters and targets around my farm.

Where did you find 95gr 6mm Flatlines? I can’t find them on their site to look at.

I kind of wondered about that...

The Grendel guys seemed to (mostly) have settled on the 120 gn bullets being about the realistic max for that cartridge... sorta makes sense that the 6 ARC might do a little better with the 90-95 gn pills, at least for 600 and in.

More like 123gr being optimal for the Grendel (there are a bunch of 123gr bullets made specifically for it that work better than the 120s) and up to 130gr is still pretty good. I've even seen claims that 100gr is optimum for the Grendel, but that's just someone's opinion, not reality.

In the 6mm versions, the 90-95gr are not the optimal choice that some claim. It was a popular theory for a while, probably promoted by people mostly shooting 300-400 yards and in, but by 600 you can definitely see an advantage with the heavier ~105gr stuff. The 90-95gr can still have a flatter trajectory at that point, but that's the least important detail; they drift more in the wind and don't hit as hard.