• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm cartridges barrel life

Ryridesmotox

Hood rat
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2019
Not sure which section this goes into, but stupid questions seems appropriate.

If you were looking into getting a new barrel in a 6mm for a prs rifle, what would have the longest barrel life?

6xc
6mm gt
6 lapua
6 creed
243 WIN (standard or improved)

I'd be running hand loads with a projectile in the 110gr region.

Its not that I'm cheap, im just lazy I don't want to be putting a new barrel on every 5 months because a barrel won't last more than 2k rounds. I'm leaning 6GT because it has the least case capacity of most other 6 cartridges. This will be going in a short action howa that I plan to get a new savage type barrel with nut for, so I would prefer something that would run without issue or modification in a standard magpul AICS mag, and use a 308 bolt

Last edited:
Those are all going to be about the same, aka poor. Id expect 1500 but if you shoot it in matches exclusively I could see it being more like 1200. Take your time and maybe youll get 2k out of it. Yeah the GT will theoretically get the best because its 5 grains less but when its doing the same velocity as the 6xc but in a with a faster powder in that marginally smaller case I expect it to come out the same in the end. Your luck in the individual barrel being a unicorn will have a larger effect than the chambering when youre going to be hammering on long range round in these fast 6s.

If by 6 lapua you mean 6 br then that would be the best as its the smallest and slowest, if you mean 6x47 then itll be right there with the rest of em.

At 2800 fps life will be better the faster you go the worse it will be...

Powder will also have an affect

Really theres only marginal differences when running 6mm at 3000 fps.

It wont matter as much as luck on a specific pipe

If by 6 lapua, you are talking 6x47, it will be In same ball park.

6br is going to be the best barrel life for a 6mm PRS cartridge with about 2500-3000. Anything up from that is going to have less and less barrel life. The 6br (and 6gt) variants will get in the 2k/barrel range. The .243/6cm/6xc/x47 length cartridges will be in the 1500 area.

Mag modifications for BR cases really aren't that bad. I've also had luck so far with the MDT BR mags. I was in your shoes and didn't want the hassle of a BR case but so far I've had no issues.

So my vote would be 6 BR(if you want simple) or 6 Dasher(if you're alright with fireforming and a little extra work).

Mag modifications for BR cases really aren't that bad. I've also had luck so far with the MDT BR mags. I was in your shoes and didn't want the hassle of a BR case but so far I've had no issues.

So my vote would be 6 BR(if you want simple) or 6 Dasher(if you're alright with fireforming and a little extra work).

Concur, also 6BRA (BR Ackley Improved) will get pretty close to Dasher performance with very easy fireforming, I've been able to form by just loading and shooting BR brass, no false shoulder, hydroforming, etc needed.

Rumor is Alpha is making good dasher brass..
I have 2 straight 6BRs that are great: long lasting, low recoil. One has the MDT 12 round BR magazine and the other has aics with primal rights kit. Both feed great.
Not sure what extractor is in the howa. My Remy's have sako/m16 extractors. Sometimes factory extractor can cause grief with short br cases/ some work fine.
One is wife's and one is 10yr old daughters. Both are 25"barrels with 105's @2800 FPS.

Rumor is Alpha is making good dasher brass..

I’ve had good luck with alpha 6 dasher brass. I don’t go for max speeds though. Also using the MDT br mag and those have been working very well 👍

Thanks for the input fellas. I think I'm still favoring a 6GT for now. Just really don't want to modify my magpul mags, not even sure I can, to run a shortened case. And I would orefer to not have to buy more mags that I have to then modify. I'm kinda lazy sometimes. Going to see if the kid/wife wants to run something like this in the near future. Be their first setup so I don't want it to be too finicky.

Also, howas have a claw extractor similar to the sako/m16 type

They fit in a standard aics bottom metal? I have a PTG bottom metal on my gun
Yup, they are standard AICS pattern mags with a BR spacer already installed. I heard some of the early ones had spring/feeding issues, but I just ordered 2 a month ago and haven't had any issues.

Reactions: Ryridesmotox