• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm Creedmoor Barrel life

I lost 120fps around 1100 rounds on a 6XC using it in a match environment, figure it's got a few hundred to go... the 6creed holds more powder so I'd be looking to procure a replacement barrel right around every 1000 rounds so it would be ready when the need arose.

I have been running 6cm for past 4-5 years. Been through 6 barrels used in competition. I usually pull them 1500-1800 mark depending on where I am during the match season. Like niles said sometimes you'll see around 100fps drop in the 1-1100 count range. Most are shooting acceptable when I pull them but too long in the tooth to chance them crapping out mid match. I had 1 that let loose premature and went around the 900 mark. Just started shooting erratic. Messed with it thinking maybe scope issue etc. And it just wouldn't shoot anymore. Load of 41.6 H4350 and 105 hybrid short FB reamer.

Hope that helps.
Greene

Reactions: linsmea and Rthur
What about one in a non match environment. Thinking of building a 20” for predator hunting, say less than 200-250 rds a year with no long fast strings.

Reactions: SOAPdata
Here' my 6 creed coyote rifle.

Attachments

• photo85031.jpg
    photo85031.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 721
Reactions: JCARL
What about one in a non match environment. Thinking of building a 20” for predator hunting, say less than 200-250 rds a year with no long fast strings.

It might last another 200 - 500 rounds more, but at the end of the day all 6 mm cartridges (except the 6 mm Competition Match) are throat burners.

Just a thought. Granted I don't know crap about barrel making could you turn your 6mm into a 308 after it's been used up?

Yes, you could. Evidently some gunsmiths/low volume barrel makers do it. It costs about the same as a new barrel.

Not sure I would bother, for the price.

Last edited:
I lost 120fps around 1100 rounds on a 6XC using it in a match environment, figure it's got a few hundred to go... the 6creed holds more powder so I'd be looking to procure a replacement barrel right around every 1000 rounds so it would be ready when the need arose.

I got 1000 rounds on my wives rifle and it shoots around 3100 with 41.8grs H4350, 26" bbl.

Would you expect longer barrel life shooting factory loads vs hand loading?

Would you expect longer barrel life shooting factory loads vs hand loading?

Subjective based on pressure, speed, cadence, etc.....You “could” handload for lower pressures and velocities in order to milk some Barrel life, but IMO that Defeats the purpose of the 6CM. It’s a heater and should be used as such, you could try and get more life with H1000 or the like but I like my 105’s to go plaid at or near ludicrous speed. My $.02

I think my 6cm barrel just went south during our match today, 1600 rounds. What a let down, I was really feeling good going into this match having scored very high scores in the last 3 matches with my current load. I think chasing the lands finally caught up to me.

I think my 6cm barrel just went south during our match today, 1600 rounds. What a let down, I was really feeling good going into this match having scored very high scores in the last 3 matches with my current load. I think chasing the lands finally caught up to me.

time to build a 6.5x47 B....i shot 5 6CM barrels and the most i got was 1700 and that barrel was pretty loose...1400 to 1600 is pretty much the norm and why i went back to a 6.5...and you shot a pretty decent score with the issues you had going on....ive never seen brass do that.

Reactions: Rangemaster
time to build a 6.5x47 B....i shot 5 6CM barrels and the most i got was 1700 and that barrel was pretty loose...1400 to 1600 is pretty much the norm and why i went back to a 6.5...and you shot a pretty decent score with the issues you had going on....ive never seen brass do that.

Thanks, the match was the biggest one I have ever seen. Got it all clean for the bore scope tomorrow.
BB3CFA8F-8F01-4EEE-84F1-D5EAEDD32F63.jpeg

Reactions: Jetson
40 guys is the most ever...37 shooters yesterday so i bet by mid season we will see 45-50 guys shooting.

whats strange is the dent in the neck/shoulder area....any ideas why/what causes that? ive blew several cases apart but ive never seen one do that.

I am on 1800 plus with my Proof Research carbon 6 creed. Running 40.5g of Reloder 16 with the 108 ELDm at about 3050. I am interested to see how much longer it goes. Haven't really seen any loss in accuracy or speed, so I am hopeful I will get another few matches out of it.

I know this is a really old thread but barrel life is the one thing that .308 shines. I love my 6creed.