• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6PRC build opine?

Interesting, why are so many PRS guys shooting the 6s?
What spife said. I’ll add that theyre shooting in less than optimal positions as well, so its even harder to spot. Not really an issue with bench or prone bipod shooting.

F-class, which is essentially prone bench rest, is shot at 600 (mid range) and 1000 (long range). The br variants are very popular in mid range, especially on fair weather days. In less favorable conditions, or at long range, the 284 win and some of its variants are the dominant cartridges. If you nailed them down to having only one rifle/cartridge for the season (mid and long, all comditions), id bet they almost all pick the bigger cartridge. This isn't to push you towards the .284 win(long action cartridge). High BC bullet is the way to go imo.

One guy I know on here is building a 7SPRC, meaning 7 from 6.5, not 7 from 300. Sounds like an interesting cartridge.

I really like my 6.5 PRC. Very easy to shoot. Load development was quick, which is good because barrel life is shit. Mine is a target gun, not a hunting rifle, though I think the cartridge is great for hunting too. About 300 FPS more than 6.5 Creedmoor, which I also shoot.

I'd probably go Creedmoor. They are just too easy.

Reactions: Combat photog
What spife said. I’ll add that theyre shooting in less than optimal positions as well, so its even harder to spot. Not really an issue with bench or prone bipod shooting.

F-class, which is essentially prone bench rest, is shot at 600 (mid range) and 1000 (long range). The br variants are very popular in mid range, especially on fair weather days. In less favorable conditions, or at long range, the 284 win and some of its variants are the dominant cartridges. If you nailed them down to having only one rifle/cartridge for the season (mid and long, all comditions), id bet they almost all pick the bigger cartridge. This isn't to push you towards the .284 win(long action cartridge). High BC bullet is the way to go imo.

The reason I like the PRS is the positional shooting aspect.

Never really was into bench shooting

I have 2 Impacts and love them, but I wouldn't be afraid to pick up a used TL3, Origin, or Zeus. I would say get one that is headspace guaranteed....especially if you are hellbent on the 6PRC.

BR guy here. If you've never loaded before, I would highly recommend it. They call it the easy button for a reason. Put 30gr of Varget under a 105/109 and you'll be shooting stupid small groups with minimal effort.

Reactions: Mrindecisive
I have 2 Impacts and love them, but I wouldn't be afraid to pick up a used TL3, Origin, or Zeus. I would say get one that is headspace guaranteed....especially if you are hellbent on the 6PRC.

BR guy here. If you've never loaded before, I would highly recommend it. They call it the easy button for a reason. Put 30gr of Varget under a 105/109 and you'll be shooting stupid small groups with minimal effort.
6BR or BRA?

6BR or BRA?
BR. If youre really worried about the speed, get a 28" tube. The BR will run 2830-2850, right in the BRA range....all with no fireforming or chasing specialty brass. The 'lil ol' BR still wins a helluva lot of matches, and again, they call it the easy button for a reason.

It sounds like you've made up your mind that you want to do a BRA or Dasher based on what you've heard. Ive seen several guys ITT that compete in PRS (me included) try to give you solid advice, but you keep going back to the BRA and Dasher. 100% they are great cartridges, but for someone that has never loaded a standard cartridge, you are going to struggle for a while, get frustrated cuz things dont go well, and prob spend more money in the long run.

The smart option in all of this is the 6 Creed cuz at least if the loading doesnt go well, you can go buy some factory ammo and at least shoot. With any of the BR varients, you will be outta luck.

My 0.02.

BR. If youre really worried about the speed, get a 28" tube. The BR will run 2830-2850, right in the BRA range....all with no fireforming or chasing specialty brass. The 'lil ol' BR still wins a helluva lot of matches, and again, they call it the easy button for a reason.

It sounds like you've made up your mind that you want to do a BRA or Dasher based on what you've heard. Ive seen several guys ITT that compete in PRS (me included) try to give you solid advice, but you keep going back to the BRA and Dasher. 100% they are great cartridges, but for someone that has never loaded a standard cartridge, you are going to struggle for a while, get frustrated cuz things dont go well, and prob spend more money in the long run.

The smart option in all of this is the 6 Creed cuz at least if the loading doesnt go well, you can go buy some factory ammo and at least shoot. With any of the BR varients, you will be outta luck.

My 0.02.

The only thing I’ve made my mind up about is the USO

Open to the rest, just want something that’s going to serve me well in the shooting I do and where I want to go

The only thing I’ve made my mind up about is the USO

Open to the rest, just want something that’s going to serve me well in the shooting I do and where I want to go
What shooting is it that you want to do? Long range hunting, long range plinking, serious PRS competition?

My recommendation in order of preference:

1. 6 Creed - simply because being totally new to reloading you have a fall back plan to be able to buy match grade factory ammo and be highly competitive. I saw Justin Watts shooting Hornady Match Grade out of a 6CM 3 weeks ago up at the Punisher Positional in KS. Guy is ranked in the top 10 in the country.

2. 6BR - all the reasons I stated above. Significantly less recoil than the 6CM. Slightly lower MV than the BRA or Dasher, but in the beginning the slight advantage in windage at longer range is far outweighed by the ease of loading. I shot against a guy in my squad running his 6 Dasher at 2920 against my BR at 2807 and his wind calls were only 0.1mil less than mine out to 700yds.

3. 6GT - more MV than BR/BRA but less than 6CM and no fireforming.

4. 6 Dasher/BRA - great cartridges and Im not knocking them at all. Win lots of matches, but a new competitor has more stuff to worry about than the small performance increase over the parent BR cartridge.

Lastly, if you are serious about PRS I'd recommend a MIL scope over the MOA. Not to start the argument, but veeeerry few guys shooting them and the people in your squad will help with corrections after a miss in mils....which wont help you much if you have a MOA scope. Better than 50/50 chance youll sell the MOA scope for a mil quickly and lose money. Dont worrybif youve never shot mil before....your ballistic calc is doing all the work anyway and you just have to dial what it tells you.

Honestly my almost identical 6 dasher and creed barrels I can barely tell the difference in recoil.

Go creed for a first barrel

My recommendation in order of preference:

1. 6 Creed - simply because being totally new to reloading you have a fall back plan to be able to buy match grade factory ammo and be highly competitive. I saw Justin Watts shooting Hornady Match Grade out of a 6CM 3 weeks ago up at the Punisher Positional in KS. Guy is ranked in the top 10 in the country.

2. 6BR - all the reasons I stated above. Significantly less recoil than the 6CM. Slightly lower MV than the BRA or Dasher, but in the beginning the slight advantage in windage at longer range is far outweighed by the ease of loading. I shot against a guy in my squad running his 6 Dasher at 2920 against my BR at 2807 and his wind calls were only 0.1mil less than mine out to 700yds.

3. 6GT - more MV than BR/BRA but less than 6CM and no fireforming.

4. 6 Dasher/BRA - great cartridges and Im not knocking them at all. Win lots of matches, but a new competitor has more stuff to worry about than the small performance increase over the parent BR cartridge.

Lastly, if you are serious about PRS I'd recommend a MIL scope over the MOA. Not to start the argument, but veeeerry few guys shooting them and the people in your squad will help with corrections after a miss in mils....which wont help you much if you have a MOA scope. Better than 50/50 chance youll sell the MOA scope for a mil quickly and lose money. Dont worrybif youve never shot mil before....your ballistic calc is doing all the work anyway and you just have to dial what it tells you.

Thanks, but I’m kinda, well, easy gets me bored quick

I didn’t think of who’s spotting me, all my other optics are MOA, but you’re right, it’s all just standardized and if the dude calling my shots, well he’s likely not using one of my other rifles, and if he’s calling mil I should be mil....this makes sense (even if it hurts my soul lol)

For hunting, I am a huge fan of the .264 Win Mag. Same 6.5 mm bullets, kills way out of it's league.

Mine shoots sub MOA at over 800 yards. Longest kill shot so far is about 250 yards, and DRT. Berger 140 grain VLD Hunter at 3100 fps.

There’s NOTHING complicated about 6BRA. 30 grains of varget or H4895 under a 105 in a new Lapua 6BR brass and shoot itty bitty groups…and when the brass ejects, it’s “fireformed” and your 30 grain loads still works.

Fireforming Dasher is a waste of time and components now that commercial brass is readily available.

6CM will allow you to buy factory ammo if you decide not to load your own.

In any of these cases, get Bartlein’s mod400 steel barrel, if you can, to maximize barrel life as much as possible (assuming it lives up to the hype).

Origin, TL3, or Impact action based on your preferences. I’d go/I went Impact, personally, because I like 90* bolt throw and push feed and I wanted integral rail and endless supply of “prefit” barrels (I’m done sending action and blanks to a smith) but I didn’t need interchangeable bolt heads.

Finally, get on the MIL wagon ASAP. MOA will immediately become a PITA at matches/in training because literally everyone else will be talking in mils and the last thing you need as you start out in PRS is one more thing to think about.

My .02.

Good luck.

Reactions: TurboTrout
For hunting, I am a huge fan of the .264 Win Mag. Same 6.5 mm bullets, kills way out of it's league.

Mine shoots sub MOA at over 800 yards. Longest kill shot so far is about 250 yards, and DRT. Berger 140 grain VLD Hunter at 3100 fps.

For hunting I’ll just use my 308, more than enough for the job.

I occasionally hunt with a .308 also, but you asked about more range, and in 6.5 caliber.

I mentioned the .264 as it is generally faster than the PRC, and the creed ain't even close.

It’s really a PRS tool, hunting wise I’ve been moving further towards archery anyways and lots of the places I rifle hunt I could just as easily use my 30-30.

This thing is going to be killing steel

Killin steel in PRS is all about the 6s

6 Dasher, 6XC, 6 BR 6 BRA, 6 Creed, 6x47 Lapua

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/12/14/rifle-caliber/ (its a couple years old, but look at the previous posts and you see everyone switching from 6.5 to 6). Just pick one and go. Each has pluses and minuses.

I'm glad to know you lost the 6 PRC vibe. Just no. All the PRS doods are about the Impact Actions.

Reactions: TurboTrout
Killin steel in PRS is all about the 6s

6 Dasher, 6XC, 6 BR 6 BRA, 6 Creed, 6x47 Lapua

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/12/14/rifle-caliber/ (its a couple years old, but look at the previous posts and you see everyone switching from 6.5 to 6). Just pick one and go. Each has pluses and minuses.

I'm glad to know you lost the 6 PRC vibe. Just no. All the PRS doods are about the Impact Actions.

Think a 6BRA and a impact is the way

Do a 6-284 win 😂.

Some retards runned that in a PRS match lol . The best part is that they didn’t ended up in a better spot in the leaderboard 🤣.