• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6slr

trophyhunter

Gun Father
Minuteman
  • Feb 13, 2011
    Brownsville, Tx
    Anyone have any loads for 6SLR ?

I just started with this caliber using Winchester brass, 115 RBT DTAC & H4350

I'm running this in my AXMC, 24" bartlein barrel, suppressed.

With 42g of H4350 I'm getting 2989fps with SD of 4.2

I'd like to be up above 3100fps cause that's a tad slower speeds then my 6creed shoots (3013) which was the whole reason of jumping to this caliber cause of extra case capacity.

Anyone have data ?

Thanks
    Gilbert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gilbert, my slr I am running H1000, I am trying to the to do the longevity thing as well as speed, I am at 46.9 with win brass, 105/107 and 20k jump, 3120 fps, 26" benchmark, I did shoot some H 4831 as my gunsmith said that is the deal with the slr. I got very good accuracy but no better than what I am getting with the H1k, I have also become suppressed, and heard that H1K is not the greatest for the suppessor. so I will be interested in what others come up with as well as your load.

best
    Idahoorion

That seems about what I was getting with 6creed when I ran 105 hybrids with H4350, I was at 3050 but with a 24" barrel suppressed.

My main reason was to get more speed out of the SLR, I'm not that worried with barrel life as I think I'll get about 2000 with either. I know other shooters that are completely ok with 2950 out of a 115 but unlike them I can't call wind for shit. If a bullet can get me a few inches closer to the target wind wise I see that as a bigger margin of error in my favor. Drop makes a difference but that's somewhat predictable, but this South Texas wind is nuts. Today we had gust up to 20mphs then die down to 5

Maybe my thinking is wrong in the extra help the speed will provide, it just helps my confidence which I feel makes a difference in my shooting.

I'm gonna try some 4451, I've heard some good things about that powder

I just switched to H1000 in my 243AI on my latest barrel. It should be pretty similar to the SLR. I'm at 1500 rounds. Haven't changed my load from 49 grains over a 110MK. Velocity has dropped from a peak of 3190 to 3100, but it is still going strong. I changed out my last 4 barrels after 1200 rounds using 4831SC, but I have a feeling I could have got more out of them, although velocity dropped off faster using the 4831SC.

Do you know case capacity of the 243AI ?

My cases are at 55g, I'm using Winchester brass. I have some H1000, i may throw a few to see where pressure & speeds are. Depending on your case capacity I may start at 46g and work up from there.

I never measured case capacity, but 49.0 Gr of H1000 is just slightly compressed at 2.900". My brass is on its 13th firing, and Ive never had so much as a flatened primer, primer flow, loose primer pockets, or any other pressure signs.

Today I tried some IMR4451 & H4350

Both at 42.4g

I got speeds of 3013 with 4451 but the primers were way puckered up

The H4350 got 2960fps and primers looked decent, I'm gonna load a few more climbing more powder to see if I can get decent speeds. I made a mistake with my last loads prior and had the bullets into the lands which would lead to pressure spikes. Now that I got my crap straight I'll push the powder charge to see where it takes me.

I've been shooting the 6slr for 5 years or so now. I've ran h1000 for the majority of the time with 105 hvld. So this info isn't going to help much. But if you want to try retumbo it'll give you similar velocities at the same load volume as h1000. I've also played with rl26 and velocities jumped quite a bit. You could also try it with the 115.

Xdeano

Do you have any baselines to start with for RL26 ?

Or any speeds ? And barrel length you're getting them out of.

Do you have any baselines to start with for RL26 ?

Or any speeds ? And barrel length you're getting them out of.

Sorry I didn't see your questions tell just now.
    I'm running a 24" 8t bartlein.
    Win brass, fed 210m, 105 Berger hvld
    I settled in on 45.9grns rl26.

Here is some data for the 115 dtac and rl26
    43.1- 2831fps
    44.0- 2888
    44.9- 2945
    45.8- 3028
    46.1- 3059
    46.4- 3100
    46.8- 3115
    47.1- 3164
    47.4- 3180
    47.7- 3210
    48.1- didn't fire

Always start low and work up.
    Xdeano

Sorry I didn't see your questions tell just now.
    I'm running a 24" 8t bartlein.
    Win brass, fed 210m, 105 Berger hvld
    I settled in on 45.9grns rl26.

Here is some data for the 115 dtac and rl26
    43.1- 2831fps
    44.0- 2888
    44.9- 2945
    45.8- 3028
    46.1- 3059
    46.4- 3100
    46.8- 3115
    47.1- 3164
    47.4- 3180
    47.7- 3210
    48.1- didn't fire

Always start low and work up.
    Xdeano

I don't know how I didn't see this reply

Thank you for the info, going to buy some RL26 today and as soon as the 115 are back in stock I'm gonna try this, hopefully this week.

The quest continues...

Are you taking first firing or fire formed load? I use RL17 and it works well, MR4000 as well for fireforming is inexpensive.

Are you taking first firing or fire formed load? I use RL17 and it works well, MR4000 as well for fireforming is inexpensive.

I just run new Winchester brass through my dies and it's ready to run.

So I would say new first firing sized brass.

I've run RL17 in other cartridges but pressure spikes go up fast in heat.
    Never tried MR4000 in anything yet.

There is a significant difference in body diameter and shoulder sharpness in a fire formed vs first firing brass. 2 more grains in fire formed equals approx. 200+ fps in my FF loads. I have ran RL17 in 20* to 95* weather and not seen pressure spikes like people talk about. The original Mk248 load used RL powder as it had the least temp sensitivity...

There is a significant difference in body diameter and shoulder sharpness in a fire formed vs first firing brass. 2 more grains in fire formed equals approx. 200+ fps in my FF loads. I have ran RL17 in 20* to 95* weather and not seen pressure spikes like people talk about. The original Mk248 load used RL powder as it had the least temp sensitivity...

When I shot some new semi-formed brass I was able to get a very good base line for shoulders and body. When I weighed water weight in both new sized & fire formed I got from .04-.2 grain difference in the cases. Most didn't grow that much. I weighed these over an average of 5x times trying to get the same amount of bubble on each, and weighed on my FX120i.

From what I have noticed in using RL17, i can have very good non-pressure signs then all of a sudden if my mag is in the sun with ammo, I'll get heavy bolt lift & ejector swipes. But to RL17 defense I'm using this in a 308 under a 200g ELD-X pushing that bullet 2585fps. It's a load I was tinkering with for Nilgai. It worked very well and I still run it, but in the matches I've noticed if I'm running hot or near hot loads I start to punch primers and that begins to cause other issues.

I mean if that's your load you're using to judge RL17 then so be it. I don't ever take book data as gospel but you are pushing those 200's pretty good as Alliant doesn't even have a load over 180 for it. Sun will impact any powder to a degree so that's hard to quantify as a RL17 issue but I hear ya.

You posted up a thread asking for 6SLR load data and just wanted to share some extremely good results with ya. YMMV.

I mean if that's your load you're using to judge RL17 then so be it. I don't ever take book data as gospel but you are pushing those 200's pretty good as Alliant doesn't even have a load over 180 for it. Sun will impact any powder to a degree so that's hard to quantify as a RL17 issue but I hear ya.

You posted up a thread asking for 6SLR load data and just wanted to share some extremely good results with ya. YMMV.

Thank you, I meant it in no way as rude, just I've used it in the past and found RL17 spikes. I think it's a triple base powder, I could be wrong. And known them to be finicky in my uses.

Ya I got this load on the old Hide, worked up for these bullets and it's been a hammer.

For the SLR I was thinking maybe RL22 but it shows to slow according to Quickload.

I've ran up to 48.6grs of retumbo in my slr with a 26inch brux. Velocity was 3197. My everyday load is 48grs at 3130 with a 105. There was no pressure signs at 48.6grs just ran out of room in the case.

I've ran up to 48.6grs of retumbo in my slr with a 26inch brux. Velocity was 3197. My everyday load is 48grs at 3130 with a 105. There was no pressure signs at 48.6grs just ran out of room in the case.

Just to confirm, that 3197 was with 105 Hybrid ?

I'm assuming it was a very compressed load ?

It was a 105rdf, I vibrated the case with my tumbler and it seemed to settle to about the same volume as my 48gr loads are unsettled

I honestly think you can't put enuf retumbo in a slr case to have problems. I did have some problem last weekend at the border wars match in the rain, I didn't have a dry thing left. My ammo got wet and I had some pressure signs. This will happen with any ammo tho if it gets wet

I honestly think you can't put enuf retumbo in a slr case to have problems. I did have some problem last weekend at the border wars match in the rain, I didn't have a dry thing left. My ammo got wet and I had some pressure signs. This will happen with any ammo tho if it gets wet

How sensitive is Retumbó ? I may try some of that also

I mostly shoot in hotter temperatures but we'll have the occasional cool spell, like today, it's 72* when yesterday was 100*

A friend of mine told me to run an extreme pressure test on some ammo we had in question, he told me to pour water on the rounds and chamber wet. I thought he was joking, but he said it was a test in case we got caught in the rain. Learned a lot from that test.

I haven't really chrono'd the load over a wide temp range so I'm not sure. Yah I've also been told to keep your ammo dry at all costs. I didn't think it would be that big of a deal. Well I blew 1 primer and had some nasty bolt lifts on about 3 rounds.

I can tell you that I've ran my 48gr load from 10-hot. One match my ammo and my kestrel were in my pack. I pulled my kestrel out and it read like 110*. I've also shot in the winter when temp is town near single digits. Only time I've had pressure in when my ammo was wet

The go to load for the 6slr is 43.5 grains of H4831sc. That will get the Dtacs around 3050. YMMV. This catridge was pretty much made to run H4831sc. Retumbo can't get enough powder in the case and H1000 you have compression issues.
    Those two powders are better suited for the 243AI crowd. I haven't tried any of the new powders like rl23 or 26 but I've heard that rl23 was getting impressive velocities.
    Are you showing any pressure signs with your current load?
    That's a really good sd on your current load.

Have you tried H4831SC yet? How did it work for you?

I tried H4831sc again after sending my rifle to be worked on.
    So my load is 43.2 in New or fire formed brass for speeds at 2920fps measured over a Magnetospeed for 15rds. 5 were new, 5 were 3x fired and 5 were 8x fired. SD was 6.7 and all 15rds were in the center of the 5 dots I was aiming at. Had to dial .2 to compensate for the Magnetospeed but accuracy was better then I am.

This is with 115 DTAC RBT out of a 24" Bartlein barrel in my AXMC

I'm gonna gun again tomorrow with some local guys to confirm dope before this weekends match at RO. Will post any findings.

I know you guy's rifles are built up for the 6mm heavies, but if any of you guys got recipes for the 85-95 gr. range, I'd like to hear them.

46.1 grains of RL 26 with 110 SMK's = 3175 fps out of a 26" Bartlein 5R 7.5" twist. I was able to run up to 3280 fps before I saw pressure.

I am at 1350' elevation above sea level. Throated for the 105 Berger hybrids.

I also worked up a load with Nosler 105 RDF's and H4831SC, 44.3 grains = 3010 fps

All were shot suppressed.

remember start low and work up. :)

Last edited: