• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 6x47L,barrel wear

steve123

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2008
none of your business
A little heads up.
I bought my MAK tube gun in 6x47 Lapua,used,with around 500- 600 rounds down the tube a year ago.No log sheet came with the rifle,so I don't know the actual round count.It could have had a little more than 600?The guy I bought it from is an honest sort.
So when working up loads back then for it I was able to get consistent .3" groups at 100 yards with the best load.
The last couple times I've gone out I noticed that the rifle wasn't touching all shots anymore so I thought I would do some more load work up by chasing the lands.
Turns out that the best the gun will group now is .6" with an average of .8".
I've shot about 1500 rounds through it myself so this might give you an approximate idea of barrel life with 6x47L.So around 2000-2100 total down the barrel now.

Steve

Re: 6x47L,barrel wear

yep me too.Thinking about coating with HBN for the next barrel.

I remember reading about a guy testing accuracy fall off on his 6BRX/Dasher and he was up to a little less than an 1" at around 2900 rounds.So I guess we got to pay the price for high speed!At least I don't have to replace at every 1000 like with my old 6.5-284.

Steve

Steve I'm just now developing a load for m 6x47L. Its a FRIGGIN HAMMER!!! It puts 5 rounds into the same hole and it only has 40 rounds down the barrel - its at a low node, so I need to push the powder into it to find the higher node. This is going to be sweet for my 600 F-Class and tactical rig.

I'm just now doing load and final development on my 26" melonite treated 7WSM barrel. It replaced my prior 7WSM barrel that went 1,680 rounds before dying an ugly death in the middle of an F-Class relay (uncalled 7's high and low). If it follows the smith's experience I'll see 20-40% incresased barrel life and ancreased velocity to boot.... I'll keep you appraised..

JEffVN

Just a thought, but when's the last time you cleaned the copper out of it?

I don't clean very often, only when the groups start opening up, that might help you if you're at half the expected life.

Hi Jeff,

Glad to hear your 6x47L is shooting so well.

LOL,Your finding the same thing out about 6x47L's that I did! More like a 6PPC,aren't they!The very first 5 shot group out of my 6x47L RFD benchrest/F-class rifle was .150" and the last 5 shot group I shot out of it about three months ago was .169".

LOL,That is an ugly death!
Yes,please let me know how the new melonite treated barrel holds up.

Steve

Hey Bohem,

Thanks for trying to help.The hot 6mm's don't have as much barrel life as 6.5x47L,6.5 Creedmoor or 260 rem.This barrel is just at it's end.

I'm one of those half-anal barrel cleaners.
I give a good clean every 150 rounds.
I clean out my barrels by:

Only going from breach to muzzle using a bore guide.
5-6 patches of TM solution for carbon.
6-8 patches of Boretech eliminator,let soak.
repeat...soak.
by now there is hardly any copper left and I don't worry about getting a perfectly clean patch.So I'll run a few dry patches and I'm done.
Maybe every 450 rounds I'll tight patch the throat with JB paste a little.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Bohem,

Thanks for trying to help.The hot 6mm's don't have as much barrel life as 6.5x47L,6.5 Creedmoor or 260 rem.This barrel is just at it's end.

I'm one of those half-anal barrel cleaners.
I give a good clean every 150 rounds.
I clean out my barrels by:

Only going from breach to muzzle using a bore guide.
5-6 patches of TM solution for carbon.
6-8 patches of Boretech eliminator,let soak.
repeat...soak.
by now there is hardly any copper left and I don't worry about getting a perfectly clean patch.So I'll run a few dry patches and I'm done.
Maybe every 450 rounds I'll tight patch the throat with JB paste a little.

Steve

</div></div>

Looks like you have that more under control than I do, just a thought on it. I got lazy with one of my rifles and kept chasing it for groups, cleaned it up and went from 1" 100y groups, back to overlapping holes.

The carbon in the barrel is more your enemy then anything else. Everyone thats running there barrels for 400 rounds are gonna be carboned out as all hell. I usually JB the whole bore about every 150-200 when running hodgdon powders. When i started running RL alot more i found that 100 rounds was my max before i got large carbon deposits.