• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6x47L necking down trouble.

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
I am necking down some 6.5x47L brass to 6x47L. All the sudden my brass is getting crushed. After doing some exploring, i find that the expander button is causing the trouble. I take it out and all is fine. I put it back in with a little lube and all is ok for a few rounds. I dont understand why this just started. the die is new and i have sized about 50 cases so far without any trouble. Can i neck down my brass without the button in on new brass? What else can i do? My die is a Forster FL Die. I need some advise!! Lee

Re: 6x47L necking down trouble.

Lee, Make sure your expander button is below the neck. Be sure and lube the inside of the necks. I use dry imperial lube or moly. You have to use that button in order to expand the neck back out. If you remove the button you will have to run them over a 6mm mandrel to size the neck up a bit to accept your bullets without to much neck tension.

I always take the expander out when necking brass down. I shoot a 22 x 47 L and had no problem necking that down so 6 x 47 L should be no problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wwbrown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always take the expander out when necking brass down. I shoot a 22 x 47 L and had no problem necking that down so 6 x 47 L should be no problem. </div></div>

I always use a expander that on caliber small. Once i fire the brass for the first time i use a inside neck reamer to keep everything the same.