• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6x47L what twist would you use??

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
I may be chambering a 6x47L here in my next project. I need a rifle to hunt coyotes with and hopefully a pig hunt as well. I think i will try a 6x47L but i am undecided on what twist to use. I have a couple different 8 twist 6mm rifles so i was thinking about slowing down the twist so i could shoot some lighter bullets. I really just dont know what to do for sure. I really love what a 75gr v-max does to a coyote but will that be a big enough bullet to drop a wild pig? I am kinda thinking not, but i dont know as i have never killed one! Just looking for some opinions from experience. I should also add that i will shoot this rifle at 100Yards quite a bit just for trigger time. I want it to be accurate at 100 as well. I have a couple rifles that dont shoot one ragged hole groups at 100 but the really shine at 500. Just dont get to shoot 500 as much as i would like. Looking for opinions from experience. Lee

Re: 6x47L what twist would you use??

Jason,

Do you think a 8.5 will stabilize 140 A-max or 140 Bergers?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superde</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jason,

Do you think a 8.5 will stabilize 140 A-max or 140 Bergers? </div></div>

In a 6.5mm barrel....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I may be chambering a 6x47L here in my next project. I need a rifle to hunt coyotes with and hopefully a pig hunt as well. I think i will try a 6x47L but i am undecided on what twist to use. I have a couple different 8 twist 6mm rifles so i was thinking about slowing down the twist so i could shoot some lighter bullets. I really just dont know what to do for sure. I really love what a 75gr v-max does to a coyote but will that be a big enough bullet to drop a wild pig? I am kinda thinking not, but i dont know as i have never killed one! Just looking for some opinions from experience. I should also add that i will shoot this rifle at 100Yards quite a bit just for trigger time. I want it to be accurate at 100 as well. I have a couple rifles that dont shoot one ragged hole groups at 100 but the really shine at 500. Just dont get to shoot 500 as much as i would like. Looking for opinions from experience. Lee </div></div>

8" twist or faster. Us noslers to blow things up.....

Hi use an 8 twist and use the 105gr A Max's to blow things up they just shred things when they hit the jackets turn into blades and rip things apart. For pigs i would use a 107gr Sierra the A Max'x are not strong enough to penetrate and no other varmint projectile will penetrate either. The 8 twist in the 6X47 lapua will still work with the 75's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superde</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jason,

Do you think a 8.5 will stabilize 140 A-max or 140 Bergers?</div></div>

In a 6mm? Or a 6.5?

Isn't the 140 a 6.5 bullet? The OP asked about the 6 X 47 Lapua.

Skeet I've got a 1/7.5 6x47L that shoots 90's to 115 DTAC's like crazy.

I've got a 243 WSSM in a 1/10 and a DPMS LR-308 in 243 with a 1/10 also. These both love 66's to 85's. The WSSM won't shoot anything above 90 with out throughing at least one in five bullets wide at 100 yards. The DPMS has not gone over 85 yet so not sure what it will do. The DPMS show a prefference for 75's v-max and the WSSM shows a pref. for anything 85 grains. So I guess the point is even the same twist in the same caliber may not like the same bullet. Expecially if the barrels are from different makers. Donald

I pretty much thought so!! I am also thinking about just doing a dedicated coyote rifle. I have a rifle that will kill pigs but it isnt lite!! It would do though. Now i am kinda wondering about a 22x47L. Not much out there for reloading dies though. I dont know what i will end up doing. What ever i do do, I am going to try out one of tom manners t-3 stocks. I think they look like a good compromise for hunting tactical type shooting. Thanks guys I am just thinking out loud!! Lee

I went 7.5 in my 6x47L just in case I might want to try the 115s...

JeffVN

Skeetlee,

I run a 22 x 47 L and it shoots 80 g JLKs at 3200 with ease and great accuracy. For dies use Redding 6.5 x 47 L Series S full length with the correct sized bushing for the 223 neck, I stepped the neck down in three steps. After I had some fired rounds I sent two to Lee and had custom collet dies made up, I use these now.

wade

I apologize...I misread. I though he wrote about a 6.5x47, not 6x47. My apologies.