• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6X5 Thread V5.0 *new 1/1/21*

I really need to try a tuner on mine. Does anyone know if the PRXIII tuner is still being made? It has been out of stock at Killoughs forever
I bought one in March from them. They had been out of them for a few months prior to that also. It seems that they get about 10 to 12 in at a time and when they're out it takes awhile to get them back in.

Sauer 200 STR
100m
bipod and rear bag
prone in the native vegetation ( no nice flat gravel or concrete ! )

I didn't do a good job of finding a very stable shooting position so difficult to find a natural POA, good learning point ;-)
I thought id submit it anyway to swell the ranks of the 100m examples !

best group 0.652 MOA
average 0.714 MOA

1564842603161.png

what i don't understand is how Eley Match can do better at 100m than at 50m compared to other ammo types ? In my head if an ammo has an inherent "accuracy" of x MOA then it should always be x MOA (so long as we are not talking about pushing the range out to the near vertical end part of parabola. ) ?

Reactions: Cuzz and jbell
Got a new rifle this week, Ruger Competition 10/22, shooting straight from the box. 2.5lb mushy trigger, and the standard stock leaves room for improvement since it's so light and not the best bag rider. Also as a semi auto, probably could've taken more time as I was just shooting away... has the tightest groups, but also room for me to fuckup and pull a flyer with that 2.5lb trigger and shaky stock. I might burn another box of Tenex on this thing next week...

Ruger 10/22 Competition
Prone 100 yards
Eley Tenex

Best Group: 0.39"
Average Group: 0.925"

1564869156485.png

50 yard 6x5s I’ve shot the last few days have been hit or miss I’m always 1or 2 bad shots from a really great avg but I guess that’s the point new personal best 100yder
27F2D428-6FBF-4455-8BA8-4A4CB40436C5.jpeg

.819” avg .621” best
8/2/19 82deg Lapua center-x on and off 4mph from 3 o’clock
v-22 resides in a my krg bravo now

Reactions: jbell
Sorry for the delay guys, I have been a bit busy lately. Everyone should be up to date now. Please let me know if I missed anything!

what i don't understand is how Eley Match can do better at 100m than at 50m compared to other ammo types ? In my head if an ammo has an inherent "accuracy" of x MOA then it should always be x MOA (so long as we are not talking about pushing the range out to the near vertical end part of parabola. ) ?

That is not the case with really any ammo, but especially rimfire. MV variations may not show up at shorter ranges but will at longer, holds true with both centerfire and rimfire. But more so with rimfire there will be just a general accuracy potential difference with a particular ammo and range combination. Your rife may prefer Center X @ 50 Yards but Eley Match at 100 yards, and something completely different at 200 yards. I do not completely understand why this occurs, but it seems to hold true. So test ammo at a particular distance and re-test at a different distance.

Reactions: Just Chuck
That is not the case with really any ammo, but especially rimfire. MV variations may not show up at shorter ranges but will at longer, holds true with both centerfire and rimfire. But more so with rimfire there will be just a general accuracy potential difference with a particular ammo and range combination. Your rife may prefer Center X @ 50 Yards but Eley Match at 100 yards, and something completely different at 200 yards. I do not completely understand why this occurs, but it seems to hold true. So test ammo at a particular distance and re-test at a different distance.
I didn't believe it before i experienced it but i see the different results when i shoot with different ammos at different ranges - don't understand why it is happening - more research needed :D:D:cool:

Reactions: Near miss
I really need to try a tuner on mine. Does anyone know if the PRXIII tuner is still being made? It has been out of stock at Killoughs forever
A-Rob, they are made by Joe Chacon. Still in production.

some days are just really frustrating !
At 100m i shot 0.58, 0.63, 0.36 and thought "Yea! this is going to be the day! " ... then reality returned and i got 0.98, 1.14 and 1.46 :-( so.... since the target was no long quite so exceptional and im lazy i decided to shoot the rest of the box at the same target ... 1.29, 1.34 then 0.40 to close.

i really don't understand what is different - do you think there is anyone on the Hide who is interested in the possibly futile task of remote training ?

1565435032750.png

By my calculations your 1st 6 groups averaged 0.750 MOA, which IMP is pretty damn good! So don’t beat yourself up just yet. You drastically improved in both the best group and the average, keep in mind you cant be comparing group size in inches vs most everyone else in this thread because you are shooting almost 10 yards more, it matters.

Second you just bought the rifle and probably don’t have that many rounds on it, some rimfire rifles need a little time before they start showing their potential. I have had custom barrels from the best in the business not come into their own until after 500-800 rounds, factory barrels can be a little longer.

Last (without getting into fundamentals), there is a bit of a trend I see that I would be watching very close based on your targets. Your groups show more vertical than horizontal on average with the different brands of ammo you have shot. This could be the ammo, but I would look very close at thermals or head winds and tail winds on your range. Just a few MPH at 100M can give you an inch of vertical dispersion VERY easily.

Just my .02

By my calculations your 1st 6 groups averaged 0.750 MOA, which IMP is pretty damn good! So don’t beat yourself up just yet. You drastically improved in both the best group and the average, keep in mind you cant be comparing group size in inches vs most everyone else in this thread because you are shooting almost 10 yards more, it matters.

Second you just bought the rifle and probably don’t have that many rounds on it, some rimfire rifles need a little time before they start showing their potential. I have had custom barrels from the best in the business not come into their own until after 500-800 rounds, factory barrels can be a little longer.

Last (without getting into fundamentals), there is a bit of a trend I see that I would be watching very close based on your targets. Your groups show more vertical than horizontal on average with the different brands of ammo you have shot. This could be the ammo, but I would look very close at thermals or head winds and tail winds on your range. Just a few MPH at 100M can give you an inch of vertical dispersion VERY easily.

Just my .02
thanks for the support ! I've 2200 rounds on the barrel now, i can see that putting a couple of building blocks in the ground has helped - much more consistent than shooting with the bipod and rest in the vegetation !

Thermals and in-line winds are a very frequent problem at this range. But i've had a few still days recently (less than 2 mph) - id like to be able to blame the remaining vertical on ammo but im pretty convinced its me :-( i very often see a 5 shot sequence start high and walk down shot by shot. My current theory is that 'over' loading the bipod causes the shot to go high and the shots come lower as the recoil on each shot 'shakes' some of the 'load/pressure' out of the system ? (the bipod has skii feet).

Sometimes i like to blame it on ammo - such as this set at 200m ;-)
1565438029357.png

still i'm finding it a real challenge to improve when i'm just self training on my own.

Took jbell's advice and shot today without the huge temp changes and wild thermals (ie its still, grey and raining ;-) ) i also read something about moving the bipod mount to a location with minimum recoil vibration. tried the flour trick to see if i could find the nodal points .... nope. tried moving the bipod back 10 cm from the very front of the stock ... i get much more consistent results now !

Sauer 200 STR
50m
SK Pistol Match Special
almost no wind, drizzle 17deg C
prone off bipod and rear bag

average of first 6 groups = 0.592 MOA

1565540882018.png

Hopefully I'll get some time to shoot this week.

17 degree C. Hahaha 40-45 degree C here.

Reshaped my firing pin today hopefully I can get out this Friday and see if it helps out any. Trying to squeeze every bit of accuracy out of this thing.
15952DF7-6DFC-4F95-BF4A-2664A4908E13.jpeg
20B5808E-5628-457A-97DB-768BE1A1FCC4.jpeg

Plus bought these to lot test. Hopefully one of the lots comes through.
C881E114-918D-45F0-8454-BC546AE7A5C1.jpeg

Reactions: PossumK
I was able to get the Vudoo out today. I was lucky the winds were calm for me at 50 yards but the started picking up at 100 and even more so at 200 plus the mirage got bad.

I forgot that I had been shooting SK Pistol last week which has a 0.5 mil higher zero than center x and I still had that dialed on the scope when I shot the cold bore at the bottom right target. I almost shit my pants when I saw the 1st round about 0.6 mil high!! I had just cleaned the barrel and have been watching my cold bore & cold clean bore POI shift lately. It has been very consistent and I thought something was up until I put 4 more down range and then saw 0.5 dialed on the turret. It goes to show, pay attention to the basics. Check your scope, don’t just assume...

50 yards with Center X, 70f and almost no wind.
93D6BE12-A337-4DEB-8151-835A0C727A83.jpeg

100 yards Center X 2-3 mph switching winds

0495E614-CFE5-4A3B-B911-394E16E65163.jpeg

200 yards Center X 5-8 mph switching winds with a lot of mirage, so much I could not see bullet holes in my scope or my spotting scope so I just tried to shoot in a consistent wind condition based on the mirage, it didn’t work out so well...

E1101BA1-61ED-45A1-86C9-7BAF55EA95C1.jpeg

@jbell one fine day i'm going to get a 'magic set' that can be compared to yours :) great to have something challenging to achieve ;-)

CZ 455 VPT
Vortex HS-T 4-16
50 yds. prone
SK Pistol Match
20190820_182802.jpg

Overall I guess I'm happy with these considering I was laying in a horse pasture with sweat rolling in my eyes and what little wind there was it was moving my target. I'll have to try another cooler day at the range.

Welcome to the 6X5, shooting a moving target is difficult at best. I have you on the results.

Vudoo 18" Ace, KRG Bravo, Trijicon 5-50x56 using 20x. SK Rifle Match, Atlas bipod Protektor #14 bunny ear bag. 60* raining, lite wind.
The gun is a LOT better than I, though I figured out a few techniques that should produce more consistent groups going forward. Improving the target picture with my aging vision may be my biggest challenge going forward.

i-x3hd2gR-L.jpg

Sieg, I have your results updated. I am sorry I did not know I misspelled your name 2 times on the results. It is correct now. If y’all see any errors I make please let me know I will most definitely appreciate it!

Reactions: Sieg
Where did you guys find the snipershide branded 6x5 target?

I'll post it in the morning.

I remember finding it searching

"6x5 rimfire challenge"

I was able to get the Vudoo out today. I was lucky the winds were calm for me at 50 yards but the started picking up at 100 and even more so at 200 plus the mirage got bad.

I forgot that I had been shooting SK Pistol last week which has a 0.5 mil higher zero than center x and I still had that dialed on the scope when I shot the cold bore at the bottom right target. I almost shit my pants when I saw the 1st round about 0.6 mil high!! I had just cleaned the barrel and have been watching my cold bore & cold clean bore POI shift lately. It has been very consistent and I thought something was up until I put 4 more down range and then saw 0.5 dialed on the turret. It goes to show, pay attention to the basics. Check your scope, don’t just assume...

50 yards with Center X, 70f and almost no wind.
View attachment 7132522

100 yards Center X 2-3 mph switching winds

View attachment 7132523

200 yards Center X 5-8 mph switching winds with a lot of mirage, so much I could not see bullet holes in my scope or my spotting scope so I just tried to shoot in a consistent wind condition based on the mirage, it didn’t work out so well...

View attachment 7132528

Really nice shooting JB. That VuDoo is starting to sing at 50y.

Really nice shooting JB. That VuDoo is starting to sing at 50y.

Thanks. Unfortunately this is a very good lot of center x that I wasn’t smart enough to buy more than a brick of & now that I have shot it some can’t find any more. Gotta love this game! Ha

I haven’t had the Anschutz out in a while so I yanked the scope off the Vudoo and shot a few rounds today. I don’t have any Eley Match or Tenex right now, which is what this rifle is specifically chambered for and much prefers, so I just shot Center X and what Xact that I had left.

I got caught by the wind a few times, but it was good to get this rifle back out. These targets are not anything to write home about, but I figured I would post it anyway as I don’t contribute much these days.

63927F4A-39A4-4CBF-BE3D-9947DE9268FD.jpeg

50 yards:
939FF8C3-47B2-4BB5-9E42-EFA856230BE6.jpeg

100 yards:
A2B9A7BA-E272-41D1-96A5-F092EA283500.jpeg

This submission is going to score near the bottom of the barrel but not THE bottom and it is for a reason. I shot the 6x5 50y challenge with IRON SIGHTS. The rifle was an antique Winchester Model 75 more than 70 yrs old, using the factory peep sights and Lapua CX ammo. Winds were calm.

Score: 0.641" ave (1.224 moa), best group = 0.470" (0.898 moa)

I forgot to bring my spotting scope since I seldom need it. I ran out of staples so I managed to staple 6 NRA bulls with four staples. Try that, lol. I started with a new untested lot of Lapua Center-x but had the rifle zeroed with an older lot and the new lot was shooting higher. Rezeroing is a bit tedious and could take 10-20 shots and most of my tgts available so I simply plowed on while switching back to my old lot of ammo. Not the best way to begin such a challenge. 2nd and 3rd groups were more centered. I shot the series from right to left on the bottom row and then from left to right on the top row. The wind picked up during the 4th group which is strung out from left to right. 2nd and 5th groups were the best, both being just under 1/2" and the last group was the worse mainly because my old eyes were getting tired and I rushed some of the shots. Still overall, I think this is pretty OK for no scope, iron sights outdoors. You be the judge.

Irish

Attachments

• Win M75.jpg
    Win M75.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 6x5 Iron 50y M75.jpg
    6x5 Iron 50y M75.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Best.jpg
    Best.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 116
Irish, beautiful old Winchester! Very nice shooting too. I have an old Weatherby my dad bought new in the early 60’s that I have almost shot a 6X5 with irons several times. This just may be the inspiration I need to dust it off...

Irish, beautiful old Winchester! Very nice shooting too. I have an old Weatherby my dad bought new in the early 60’s that I have almost shot a 6X5 with irons several times. This just may be the inspiration I need to dust it off...

I was lucky to find this old rifle in an estate auction. It is in pristine condition and the bore looks new. Clearly had been well cared for. The trigger is heavy but crisp. I have only shot it three times and am still trying to figure out what ammo it likes. I have a buddy who swears his M75 likes Winchester Wildcat22 ammo best. I just bought a brick of it to try but am not going to hold my breath. I have a few other iron sight rifles that could maybe do this. Might get some of them out now that cooler temps are starting to arrive.

I've had this Ruger MK II laying around for years. I had put a base and red dot on it for a while. I had a spare SWFA 16X scope laying around also. ;) So i matched them up. I fired the first 20 rounds out of the box getting a zero and then shot this. I'm still learning how to hold it on the bags. I think it has some potential. :)

Attachments

• IMG_3948.jpg
    IMG_3948.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 122
Reactions: Anb618
Bill,

Man that is AWESOME! Over all the years I have been doing this I don’t think anyone has ever submitted a 6X5 with a handgun. Very cool...

Reactions: BillOH
I was trying out a different course of fire today with the V22, shooting some unsupported steel at 100 yards. While I was at the range I decided to shoot a 6X5. I was shooting some El Cheapo ammo for the unsupported stuff so I ran 10 rounds of Center X through the rifle to season the bore, I sure wish I would have shot another 5-10 because this could have been a decent target. Shot left to right top row first. Oh well...

3D53E942-BC4F-4640-9EEB-72DC2526E2D2.jpeg

5AED7F5D-BAD9-47C4-AD40-BB93A85060E5.jpeg

I had the Vudoo out this morning, it was chilly in the high 30’s maybe low 40’s by the time I finished. There was plenty of mirage coming up off the frosty ground as the sun was out strong. Not my best day, but not horrible either.

E0BCA9DA-00E6-4660-971A-F3E354BB64A7.jpeg

Reactions: littlepod
Ok, there are too many groups on this target. I ran a bore snake through my kidd 10/22 and took it to the range to confirm zero before a match tomorrow. Anyway, the groups are labeled in the order they were shot (1-8, 5 shot groups, then 9 is a 10 shot group). All were shot at 50 yards, from a caldwell (harris clone) bipod and a wiebad fortune cookie for a rear bag. Viper PST 6-24x50. I counted the 10 shot group 2x in the average...

Best group- 0.398inch, 0.76 MOA
Worst Group- 0.818 inch, 1.56 MOA
Average- 0.525 inch, 1.003 MOA

IMG_2857.JPG

For what amounts to the "in the dirt shots" after a barrel cleaning, I'm pretty happy with this.

thought some of you might find this one interesting --- plotted some of the velocities on the shots - high velocities don't always go high... sometimes they just go .... wierd.
1569016416844.png

Reactions: littlepod
20190920_190037.jpg

Was in a groove this morning. Figured I would shoot if 6 by 5. First try at it. If it wasn't for that one group in the middle it would have been much better. Seems like it's always one group or one shot they really keeps you out of the prestigious range.

Vudoo Ridgeback
Ace barrel
Center x
Athlon Midas Tac
Trigger tech diamond at 6 oz
75 degrees
100 yds

Last edited:
View attachment 7150663

Was in a groove this morning. Figured I would shoot if 6 by 5. First try at it. If it wasn't for that one group in the middle it would have been much better. Seems like it's always one group or one shot they really keeps you out of the prestigious range.

Vudoo Ridgeback
Ace barrel
Center x
Athlon Midas Tac
Trigger tech diamond at 6 oz
75 degrees

I know the answer to this but I don’t want to assume, so what range was this shot at?