• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6X5 Thread V5.0 *new 1/1/21*

barronian, join the crowd. :) I probably shoot 10 targets for every one I post. I'm not going to give up though. The weather should break soon and I can shoot a bunch of 4 shot groups with 1 shot just out. ;)

Reactions: Cuzz
I thought i'd post this in case there are other people reading this thread that are at the stage where i was last year - and they might get disheartened by the (selected ?) examples of good shooting that are on here. In case there is any doubt it doesn't always go well ! I guess that the more experienced shooters are more consistent and have fewer 'off' days.
I get days like the target below where i might as well forget shooting for score and just enjoy the fresh air !

View attachment 7278361
Barronian, what software do you use to get the group sizes for all the bulls?

Can somebody remind me how much to subtract if i measure outside marks on a group. I’m thinking it’s about .22. Ive been estimating center but i think this will be better for me.

I believe the number has been .222. It is not used because it is more or less correct but rather to maintain consistency.

Can somebody remind me how much to subtract if i measure outside marks on a group. I’m thinking it’s about .22. Ive been estimating center but i think this will be better for me.

Somewhere around the beginning of this thread there is a suggested nominal size for everyone to use, however the 'academic' way to do it may be to measure some of your bullet holes (the size will depend on the bullet form and the target material) then use this size. Alternatively just be lazy and use something like OnTarget TDS ....

Reactions: jbell
So everyone is clear there is no hard fast rule as to how much to subtract for a true CTC (please keep in mind this is just for fun and to hopefully help us all improve). Like barronian said the best is to measure a few bullet holes from that day on that paper (how you view them). It can be difficult to determine the outside edge of a group or bullet hole as they are like snowflakes in that they are all a little different. But years ago when all this first got started a discussion was had about this and the general consensus was to measure to the extreme edge of the lead mark around the hole (I personally leave the smallest amount of paper showing between it and the blade on my calipers) and then subtract 0.222”. This is not exactly scientific, but it really doesn’t need to be for what we are doing. Keep in mind I have seen some paper and bullet combos print bullet holes that were 0.198” so...

So everyone is clear there is no hard fast rule as to how much to subtract for a true CTC (please keep in mind this is just for fun and to hopefully help us all improve). Like barronian said the best is to measure a few bullet holes from that day on that paper (how you view them). It can be difficult to determine the outside edge of a group or bullet hole as they are like snowflakes in that they are all a little different. But years ago when all this first got started a discussion was had about this and the general consensus was to measure to the extreme edge of the lead mark around the hole (I personally leave the smallest amount of paper showing between it and the blade on my calipers) and then subtract 0.222”. This is not exactly scientific, but it really doesn’t need to be for what we are doing. Keep in mind I have seen some paper and bullet combos print bullet holes that were 0.198” so...
Thanks yall, so far mine measure .215- .225 according to paper.

Folks, I'm looking for an app for my iPhone which will allow me to measure group size on a multiple bull target. I have tried Ballistic X which is good, but only works for one bullseye at a time. Any recommendations?

Folks, I'm looking for an app for my iPhone which will allow me to measure group size on a multiple bull target. I have tried Ballistic X which is good, but only works for one bullseye at a time. Any recommendations?

I believe Range Buddy is available on iphone ? it works well on Android so if it has the same functionality on iphone it would def be something to look at ..

Another fun day .. so many groups that are under 0.4 MOA .... until the last shot :cry:
On the good side i am getting better at the fundamentals and can 'feel' when it is 'right'. pity i cant keep concentration for all 5 shots !
Still i got a new 'best' group :)

1585228055613.png

I’ll give this a go, Tikka T1X, Athlon Argos 6-24x50, magpul bipod, from bench.
Shot at 50yds with SK Rifle match.. Average was 0.47” or 0.9moa.
A7D7F030-CA9D-4764-8B8F-07A8BCDCEAFF.jpeg
C66436E1-713F-4A8E-85D1-F5760A2B0DAC.jpeg

Reactions: jeronimo
Well i'm pleased with this one :) I was rebuilding my position after each shot instead of trying to 'hold' each group.
One dud round on group 3 (should have checked it before shooting - i found a big dent in the casing !). Group 6 was frustrating - first shot nearly dead center then the other 4 were in my best group ever (0.201 MOA !) .... just not beside the first shot :cry:

100m, Sauer STR 200, Eley Match, no wind !, bipod and rear bag.

1585563368388.png

Reactions: BillOH
Well i'm pleased with this one :) I was rebuilding my position after each shot instead of trying to 'hold' each group.
One dud round on group 3 (should have checked it before shooting - i found a big dent in the casing !). Group 6 was frustrating - first shot nearly dead center then the other 4 were in my best group ever (0.201 MOA !) .... just not beside the first shot :cry:

100m, Sauer STR 200, Eley Match, no wind !, bipod and rear bag.

View attachment 7285538
mighty fine shooting

@Cuzz Thanks :) im pretty chuffed myself - for once i didn't mess up the perfect conditions... and i was rebuilding my position ! Yea i'm full of myself today :) ( I can wait for reality to bite me again tomorrow :ROFLMAO: )

Great shooting barronian, I have you on the 100 yard (in your case 100 meter) results.

Was feeling pretty good till I saw Barronion’s results..
Nice shooting sir!
I’ll go ahead and post mine anyway..
A little better than the other day.. same set up, T1x with Argos 6-24, SK rifle match ammo.
Averaged 0.39” or 0.74moa
Best group was 0.1” (0.19moa) measured that one a few times to be sure.. group below it was also looking pretty good till the last shot.. oh well..
tried for 100yds too, but a storm rolled in and wind kicked up right as I started. Maybe tomorrow.
5BD6FCB5-72C1-4862-A922-342AA48DEF7C.jpeg
7F7FA359-7EBF-4CAE-B589-E3F7AAD7ABE2.jpeg
B0725584-FAC8-4C67-9C2D-75EEB86AD02A.jpeg

@Wrencoforge I just had one of those perfect days :cool: I like your 0.18, would love to have some of those myself !!
For some reason i appear to shoot better at 100m than at 50m. this isnt just a feeling - its supported by the results of my 800 or so groups that i have recorded. It would be interesting to know how ...

IMG_4350.jpg
IMG_4802.jpg

50 yards and 100 yards.

Shooting my Vudoo out the garage window. It was 45* outside and 52* inside the garage. SK Pistol Match ammo. My Vudoo really likes this lot #. I have 2 bricks of it left. :) Bench, Atlas bipod and rabbit ear rear bag.

50 yards: Ave: .280" Best: .108".

100 yards: Ave: .998" Best: .550".

Old picture of my set up.

Reactions: DRACO
Nice Bill, I have your 100 yard updated and your Vudoo is now on the 50 yard results.

Nice Bill, I have your 100 yard updated and your Vudoo is now on the 50 yard results.

My best 100 yard group today was .550". Did I have a better best group in the past? I only want credit where due. ;)

My first 6x5!
The ability to hold steady on my Caldwell "Stable :rolleyes:Table" started to falter on the last two groups.
I should have a better shooting bench, hopefully, sometime in the near future.
Also, I need to get a heavier stock of printing paper, to punch nice, clean holes in....
I enjoyed this much more than I thought I would!

Welcome to the 6X5, nice shooting! I have you on the results. How do you like that NX8 on a rimfire?

The ability to hold steady on my Caldwell "Stable :rolleyes:Table" started to falter on the last two groups.

I also have a Caldwell "unStable Table". ;) I cut a 4x4 to length to prop up the front of mine. Better but still not great.

I also have a Caldwell "unStable Table". ;) I cut a 4x4 to length to prop up the front of mine. Better but still not great.

I like that idea sir!
I've considered replacing the plastic with marine grade plywood, since it lives outside year round.

I ordered a Legacy Shooting Bench last week.
Been wanting one for awhile.

I like that idea sir!
I've considered replacing the plastic with marine grade plywood, since it lives outside year round.

I ordered a Legacy Shooting Bench last week.
Been wanting one for awhile.

I'm in the process of building a bench with treated lumber from plans on the internet. Almost finished and then I'll need to round up help getting it to my range. Going to be fairly heavy. And, hopefully, quite a bit more sturdy. ;)

I'm in the process of building a bench with treated lumber from plans on the internet. Almost finished and then I'll need to round up help getting it to my range. Going to be fairly heavy. And, hopefully, quite a bit more sturdy. ;)

Look forward to seeing pictures of it when you finish it!

Reactions: BillOH
Didn’t think I’d be this rusty, especially after shooting 22 NRL matches all winter but gotta put up what you shoot.
CZ 457 Lilja barrel
Athlon Midas Tac 5-25
SKRM
Bipod and rear bag prone
50 yards
CAFEAA7D-82FF-4530-8291-BC6806F873B7.jpeg
D8D4118A-C44D-4789-B61D-778EFCDC59B7.jpeg

Last edited:
Never had much luck for rimfire precision in the cold... but I figure its time to post a 6x5.
If I knew how to count... one group would have been in the zero's. I'm certain the rifle will do better than indicated today. :)

TS Customs RimX Rifle
Zermatt Arms RimX Action
26" Benchmark 3-groove 16.5 twist MTU contour, 22LR Primal 2° chamber
McMillan "McWoody" A5A stock, bedded, TS Customs adjustable cheek hardware
Triggertech Diamond trigger
Hawkins Precision bottom metal & heavy tactical scope mount
Tangent Theta 525P GenIIXR
Atlas PSR bipod

Wind: 8:00, 6-9mph
Temp: 32F
Station Pressure: 27.07 inHg
Humidity: 77%

Ammo: RWS R50
6x5 average: 0.245"

I'll try again on a day when its warmer and calmer.

Video of target shot:

Bulls 10-15. (the rest were shot a different day)

Last edited:
@orkan yep it all helps especially the ranging info :) Although the 6x5 measured by an app such as OnTarget or Ballistic-X does help to get rid of the cherry pickers :) :)
Amazing how few of the 'one hole all day' crowd are on the 6x5 thread :eek:

Reactions: orkan
Although the 6x5 measured by an app such as OnTarget or Ballistic-X does help to get rid of the cherry pickers
I personally witnessed someone shooting a Snipershide 50yd 6x5 at 25yds about 3 years ago. He didn't know I saw him, and he posted it later that day. ... so if I don't see video, the target means nothing to me.

I'm fickle that way. ;)

Reactions: Appalachian
I personally witnessed someone shooting a Snipershide 50yd 6x5 at 25yds about 3 years ago. He didn't know I saw him, and he posted it later that day. ... so if I don't see video, the target means nothing to me.

I'm fickle that way. ;)
Thanks for posting. What was your camera setup to record?

Reactions: orkan