• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6X5 Thread V5.0 *new 1/1/21*

Justin,
I have you on the 2020 results.

Cuzz,
I don’t use any software to measure targets, the versions I have tried are too inconsistent. I use dial calipers and measure outside to outside and subtract 0.222” for a CTC measurement. I have a lot of practice using precision measuring tools during my day job and am very comfortable with it.
What are you using as the outside? I’ve noticed it varies a lot depending on the paper where the grease ring is compared to the hole in the paper (which is always quite a bit smaller than the bullet diameter). For that reason I think I get more consistent results with software, but it’s a pain measuring multiple groups with BallisticX.

I shot these the other day off the back porch. It was raining and the target was wet. I had to let it dry before I could measure it. It was a little hard to measure because of the quality of the target. I usually measure outside to outside of the grease marks as best as I can see them. Then subtract .222. I'm pretty sure the top group was Midas and the bottom was SK Rifle Match. Best group was in the top group: .238". Best average was the bottom group: .334".

Vudoo, Nightforce 7-35, Atlas bipod and TAB rear squeeze bag.

Now I wait for nicer weather and I'll try 100 and 200. ;)

IMG_4582.jpg

Reactions: Cuzz
What are you using as the outside? I’ve noticed it varies a lot depending on the paper where the grease ring is compared to the hole in the paper (which is always quite a bit smaller than the bullet diameter). For that reason I think I get more consistent results with software, but it’s a pain measuring multiple groups with BallisticX.
I measure where there is just the slightest sliver of paper showing between the blade blade of my caliper and the outer edge of the black ring around the hole. If you messier just a single bullet hole this way on regular printer paper your going to see it’s going to be very close to the 0.222” that I subtract. I have found that including the crack of paper keeps you from being too small because if you make it touch the black ring it is hard to tell if you are you covering some up.
But either way is always going to be a little subjective. That’s why you will find at a well ran match more than 1 person measuring groups.

I do not wish to appear a fanboy of On Target TDS but to set the record straight you do not have to use its targets. You can use any target, scan it, input the distance and caliber, set the scale, set each aimpoint and determine the location of the bullet holes. The program calculates the statistics. With a little practice the program is easy and quick to use. But then with practice I presume calipers are easy to use. I have not noticed any inconsistency/discrepancy but then I have not checked measurements from the software with dial caliper measurements. One source of inaccuracy is the auxiliary measurement of the distance between fiduciary marks to set the scale.

No big deal-whatever floats your boat. The real objective is to shoot groups worth measuring.

Last edited:
Reactions: jbell
Same here, that’s why i just eyeball center. I know my measurements are never perfect but good enough for me.

I do not wish to appear a fanboy of On Target TDS but to set the record straight you do not have to use its targets. You can use any target, scan it, input the distance and caliber, set the scale, set each aimpoint and determine the location of the bullet holes. The program calculates the statistics. With a little practice the program is easy and quick to use. But then with practice I presume calipers are easy to use. I have not noticed any inconsistency/discrepancy but then I have not checked measurements from the software with dial caliper measurements. One source of inaccuracy is the auxiliary measurement of the distance between fiduciary marks to set the scale.

No big deal-whatever floats your boat. The real objective is to shoot groups worth measuring.
Thanks for the info about the targets. I dont know where i got that idea.

I don’t have targets to post at the moment, I just wanted to take a moment to post my appreciation to JBell for creating and managing one of the most important threads when it comes to memorializing the progress in the rimfire world. Looking back from the beginning, it’s clear that a lot has happened for the good from everyone serving this interest within the shooting community and this thread has become a central point for real data.

Thanks JBell....

MB

I don’t have targets to post at the moment, I just wanted to take a moment to post my appreciation to JBell for creating and managing one of the most important threads when it comes to memorializing the progress in the rimfire world. Looking back from the beginning, it’s clear that a lot has happened for the good from everyone serving this interest within the shooting community and this thread has become a central point for real data.

Thanks JBell....

MB

my pleasure, it wouldn’t be anything without everyone who participates in it. So the thanks goes to everyone who contributes.

Reactions: 6.5 GUY
My 100 yard entry. Best group: .366". Average: 1.118". Vudoo, Atlas bipod with a TAB rear bag. Lapua Midas+. Shot today out of my garage window. 1/6/2020. 40 degrees with a 10 mph wind with intermittent switches. :( I also shot the 6x5 on the bottom of the target with SK Pistol Match. Kinda hard to tell the difference in the results. ;) Here's an older picture of my garage window. I've learned a lot in the last couple of years. Back then I couldn't always tell which bull I was shooting at. The shots would be all mixed up. Thanks to jbell for giving us this challenge and taking care of it. :)

IMG_4586.jpg
IMG_4350.jpg

That is a nice looking setup you have there Bill. I have you on the 100 yard results. By they way you guys are shooting this is going to be an impressive version of the 100 yard 6X5!

That is a nice looking setup you have there Bill. I have you on the 100 yard results. By they way you guys are shooting this is going to be an impressive version of the 100 yard 6X5!

Thanks. I have a 50 yard entry in post #852 also.

I have steel and paper targets set up at 50, 75, 100, 125 and 140 yards. My range that goes to 370 yards is back over the hill and takes 4WD to get there. Waiting on better weather. ;)

My 200 yard entry. Somebody has to be in last place. ;) Vudoo, SK Pistol Match, Atlas bipod with a TAB rear bag. It was 36 degrees and somewhat windy. Mirage and wind were not my friend. There are some pretty nice 3 and 4 shot groups mixed in there. :) Average: 2.952, best group: 1.340. I'll include an older pic of my range.

IMG_4592.jpg

IMG_3381.jpg

View attachment 7223688
Hey guys welcome back to the "NEW OLD HIDE", its good to be home!

So getting back to business I am starting the 6X5 thread over from scratch. Same rules:

Rules are pretty simple. There must be exactly six groups of 5 shots, all on one target board. No more, no less. No foulers on this board, every shot on the board must count. The groups need to be shot consecutively, this is not a thread for someone to post up their collection of best six groups, but their best group of six groups. Entries must be shot on or after 10/19/14. For now, lets keep this a bipod/rear bag or shooting off a ruck challenge, no mechanical rests. If enough people feel I should change that up, please let me know and I'll reconsider. (I would like to keep this as close to prone shooting as we can, so if you are able then please shoot prone. However if you cant for health reasons or other plausible reasons then go to a bench and enter your target with pride. But if you just want to squeeze that last few thousanths out of your group come on, man up and go prone!)

Each entry should have a picture of the target board, with the group measurements written on it. Include a pic of your rifle as well, as well as info on your setup, and how it was shot, weather conditions, etc. Only the best entry per person/rifle combo will be kept on the board, but enter as many times as you like, and I'll count multiple entries from multiple rifles. Same goes with best group at every distance.

This time I am doing a seperate post for the 50, 100, and 200+ yard line entry just to keep it easier to read. I am going on the same old format and making a running tally not just the top 10 or whatever. You will also see that I have a post for cold bore groups. Lets keep it as honest as possable as cold bore means FIRST ROUND FIRED THAT DAY preoid, end of story. So a cold bore plus 4. I will do any yard line you want for the cold bore so 50, 100, 200+. If you would note the distance from center for the cold bore shot if it is easy to measure (if you throw down a CB +4 that measures in the 0.1XX" then who the hell cares about the deviation at that point it is all shooter and conditions).

**Let me know if you are shooting in air temps under 40f. I will note it on the results as there is always the big question how do rimfires shoot in the cold.**

I am bringing the old results over from the first and second versions of this thread for reference but as of today (02/10/17) we are starting from scratch. I just don't want to lose all y'alls hard work and excellent shooting.
This is my first coldbore target, please let me know if i need to add something.
Vudoo
EFE5167A-B0C6-4A37-BF07-C6A3E2B40965.jpeg

Last edited:
Here's a 50 yard entry with my Anschutz MPR. SK Pistol Match ammo, SWFA 20X scope. It was cold and foggy. 40 degrees. It looked like my scope was fogged up. :( Best group: .245" and average: .508. I started out OK but my hands were getting cold and I just wanted to finish. ;) I fired 5 shots on a nearby steel target first to see how to adjust my scope for this POA/POI.
IMG_4641.jpg

My 50 yard target is at the top of the hill in front of the back stop. Kinda hard to see.
IMG_4639.jpg

Here's a 50 yard entry with my Anschutz MPR. SK Pistol Match ammo, SWFA 20X scope. It was cold and foggy. 40 degrees. It looked like my scope was fogged up. :( Best group: .245" and average: .508. I started out OK but my hands were getting cold and I just wanted to finish. ;) I fired 5 shots on a nearby steel target first to see how to adjust my scope for this POA/POI.
View attachment 7226110

My 50 yard target is at the top of the hill in front of the back stop. Kinda hard to see.
View attachment 7226111
When it’s too cold to be fun, i might as well go home!

Reactions: Sgt47 and BillOH
I gotcha on the new results Bill. I hear ya about the cold hands, they are the worst!

Cuzz, your groups look very consistent for the most part. Have you played with action screw torque? Are you sure the parallax is completely out of your scope? Those are the things that I always check when everything else is dialed in and I feel like there may be more accuracy to be found. Also how about shooter input? Are you really paying attention to how your holding the rifle and keeping the pressure the same for every shot? Your results are very good but I feel like there is a little more hiding somewhere...

Reactions: drglock
That's nice having access to that warehouse to shoot!

Cuzz, your groups look very consistent for the most part. Have you played with action screw torque? Are you sure the parallax is completely out of your scope? Those are the things that I always check when everything else is dialed in and I feel like there may be more accuracy to be found. Also how about shooter input? Are you really paying attention to how your holding the rifle and keeping the pressure the same for every shot? Your results are very good but I feel like there is a little more hiding somewhere...
I hope i can get better J, purdy sure paralax is ok, started action screws at40-40 and up to 55-55 now, meant to try 60-55 while shooting today but forgot. I think I understand about holding exactly the same and attempt to except when trying something new. I seem to do best when i press trigger so slow that i don’t know when its gona break. Is that kosher?
thanks for advice!

As long as it works for you and you able to do it consistently, that’s all that matters.

Cuzz, I have your results updated. Your getting it dialed in!

So you (& everyone) knows the “rules” are very liberal here, more like some let’s just keep things on an even playing field. Meaning:
-shoot the distance your claiming (within a foot or two, a decent range finder is fine. No need to measure it off to an inch or anything crazy like that)
-all groups need to be on the same target (no cherry-picking)
-all groups need to be shot consecutively (it does not have to be the 1st 6 or the last 6 of a string of groups, it can be group 32 - 38 of a 50 group string, but make it obvious like shoot the groups in an order or pattern that keeps them close together.

Thats about it, pretty simple. So your target above is perfect!

Cuzz, I have your results updated. Your getting it dialed in!

So you (& everyone) knows the “rules” are very liberal here, more like some let’s just keep things on an even playing field. Meaning:
-shoot the distance your claiming (within a foot or two, a decent range finder is fine. No need to measure it off to an inch or anything crazy like that)
-all groups need to be on the same target (no cherry-picking)
-all groups need to be shot consecutively (it does not have to be the 1st 6 or the last 6 of a string of groups, it can be group 32 - 38 of a 50 group string, but make it obvious like shoot the groups in an order or pattern that keeps them close together.

Thats about it, pretty simple. So your target above is perfect!
Thanks J , i aint crazy about the l word these days but in this case i do like the easy rules. i dont know of any 22 benchrest competition near me so this 6x5 really gives me something to shoot for. I have to admit i’ve been basking in the glory of being near the top but I need to see one of yalls super groups to bring me back to where i belong!!
Weather man says still today, i will attempt a 100 yd

C'mon Cuzz, if'n the 50 is gettin' boring, 100 won't make ya' grin.
Give the 6x5 at 200 yards a try....ought to make ya' work just a bit harder, eh? :D

Welcome Jack, I have you on the results! That is a good way to start off the new year! I look forward to seeing more of your Tikka.

jbell, when are you coming down to Scarborough for some NRL .22 action?

jbell, when are you coming down to Scarborough for some NRL .22 action?

As soon as I build another rimfire, I went on a purge this winter and sold everything. I mean it only makes sense to sell the best shooting rifle you have ever owned right??

But in all seriousness I definitely will be down there after I get something slammed together. I’m waiting on parts, but hopefully by spring-ish I’ll be back in the game.

As soon as I build another rimfire, I went on a purge this winter and sold everything. I mean it only makes sense to sell the best shooting rifle you have ever owned right??

But in all seriousness I definitely will be down there after I get something slammed together. I’m waiting on parts, but hopefully by spring-ish I’ll be back in the game.
You sold your vudoo!?

You should see my rig... it’s pretty cobbled together. When you come down I’ll shoot a 6x5 that you can post up. Maybe we can make a 6x5 “optional stage”

You sold your vudoo!?

HA, yep & my Anschutz... I’m going to build another Vudoo here soon so no worries there, but the Anschutz is irreplaceable. My hope is to have a few barrels to test for the next Vudoo build, there are a few things I want to try out. I’m just waiting on parts to be ready. I miss shooting rimfire and it has only been a month or two...

You should see my rig... it’s pretty cobbled together. When you come down I’ll shoot a 6x5 that you can post up. Maybe we can make a 6x5 “optional stage”

Dan, I am really looking forward to getting down to Scarborough and shooting with you guys! I would love to see a 6X5 from you.