• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6X5 Thread V5.0 *new 1/1/21*

Cz 457 Varmint
SK Standard Plus
Wind 5-8 mph from my 4:30
Altitude 1113
DA 2482
Temp 76
Mirage was really bad today and still have a lot to learn at shooting a rimfire this far but it’s a start.

200 yds
6.7 mils with 50yd zero
Over all average 3.890
31E0BB62-1D28-4786-BE9A-FE2BD3571485.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey all, sorry I have been slow in keeping this updates. I have it all up to date now... I think, please let me know if I ever miss a post!

Reactions: Sieg
Hey all, sorry I have been slow in keeping this updates. I have it all up to date now... I think, please let me know if I ever miss a post!
When you start charging us for your exceptional service, maybe someone might feel compelled to complain about your speed. ;)

Reactions: Mr. Z and jbell
My first entry. Shot from prone at 50 yards. Vudoo with SK Long Range ammo.

The rifle is a Vudoo barreled action that I dropped into an APO MRCS-AR chassis. Scope is a Cabela's Covenant 5. Bipod is a Warne Skyline bipod.

Reactions: Scootch
Thanks! It's been fun putting it together and shooting it! I need to get out more and see what some other ammo can do and practice more. I think this SK Long Range stuff is pretty good. It did better at 100 yards than the Center X stuff did, but in my limited testing the Center X seemed to do better at 50 yards. But, it maybe just the shooter too. o_O:D

Very nice shooting! Great improvement!

Thanks! I know this is suppose to be fun but it's awful frustrating! I've yet to shoot a five shot group in the .0's. I've managed to get three rounds into a group that small but not five. Ha. I'll figure it out sooner or later. It is fun even though it frustrates me. lol.

Hopefully I can get out to 100 and 200 sometime.

Thanks for the thread. It's a cool idea.

Scootch

I find to get a group in the 0.XXX" at 50 yards or one in the 0.2XX" @ 100 yards it really comes down to the conditions. A 1-2 MPH full value wind will push a 22lr match bullet about 1/2 of a bullet diameter. Get a day with good sun and a light breeze so the mirage is easy to read use a wind meter to get the actual velocity set up a spotter so you can adjust the parallax to read the mirage very well and play with it. It is kinda crazy what such a light wind will do...

I was going to wait and get on the board after I got my cheek riser and some better ammo, but here is what I have so far. Shot from a bipod and rear bag with a CZ 457 VPT at 50yds. top 3 are Federal GMM, bottom 3 are CCI SV. Avg group 0.559", i suspect this will improve with some SK or Lapua ammo and a proper cheek weld.

Attachments

• 20190520_091742.jpg
    20190520_091742.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Travclem, damn nice looking rifle! I look forward to seeing how it does with match ammo. I have you on the board, welcome to the 6X5...

Reactions: BigTex
I was able to get out again. But I mixed things up a bit. I have a Manners T6A stock that I've put the Vudoo in before, but I had issues with rounds not being picked up by the bolt. After some research and calling Vudoo, I found out that Manner's makes a longer latch, so I contacted Manners and they sent me the longer latch. Now it works perfect, and all 10 rounds feed without issue. So here it is with it's new "shoe's" on:

I like the adjustability of the APO, but this Manners feels more solid to me.

Anyway, here are a couple of 50 yard 6x5's I shot today. The first target you can see that I didn't zero the scope. ( I had to move the scope forward) As you can see, elevation was perfect, but the windage needed adjusting, so after the first round, I adjusted the windage and the rest of the targets are more centered.

And the second round:

I did notice that some of my rounds had more "pop" to them. Especially on the groups shown here that are a bit bigger than the others. Does anyone here weigh each cartridge before shooting? Wondering if I did this, if I would find some rounds that weighed a bit more because they have more powder in them?

Reactions: 10ring1
Nice shooting. What ammo are you using? I haven't noticed any difference in sound using sk rifle match and center-x. When ever I get time I want to set the oehler up and measure some velocities. About the only thing I do with my ammo is let it set out a while for the temperature to stabilize. I figure the ammo being 68 degrees in the house to 90 degree weather outside is a bad idea. I shoot under one of those portable carports so I let the ammo set under there for a while, in the shade, before I shoot. The gun too to let the condensation evaporate.

Scootch

Steelhead, nice shooting great improvement! Awesome consistency, did you realize that both of your targets averaged out to within 0.0005" of each other (yes I typed that correctly 5 ten thousandths of an inch) at 0.280". I thought that was pretty cool...

Jbell, thanks! This has been a lot of fun! Thanks for starting this and keeping track of all of it. I did not know that my average was that close. That's very interesting.

While shooting this, like I said earlier, I did notice an inconsistency in the recoil and noise level of the rounds. Usually when a round went off and it was louder, that round was a "flyer" and away from the main group.

Anyway, I'm starting to experiment at 100 yards. I haven't done a 6x5 yet, but have a few individual groups, and they are looking pretty good too.

Lots of fun!

Thanks Jbell, had the range to myself this morning and no wind. I had good little clusters with one usually away from the group. I think there is room to improve.

Question.
Vudoo 16”
Just shot a full box/50 at 100 yards.
Lapua center x
Indoors so no wind.
Felt like I shot pretty well.
All 50 shot 1.1-1.2 moa
Should I buy a case, or get a few more lots and keep shooting and playing?

Question.
Vudoo 16”
Lapua center x
Indoors so no wind.
All 50 shot 1.1-1.2 moa
Yes, or two! that is as good as it gets!

Question.
Vudoo 16”
Lapua center x
Indoors so no wind.
All 50 shot 1.1-1.2 moa

I would see what others are getting at 50 yards. Most are shooting outdoors, and from what I can remember 0.3-.04" groups are the norm. If this is true, your indoor groups should be as good. Unless you are set on it, I would get a few more lots and see what you can do. You are luck y to have an indoor range that long. Most don't so the wind plays a hugely in groups sizes.

Last edited:
EddieE, look at his post. He shot 50 rounds at 100 yards.
Funny shit...
Actually bumped into the range from a guy at work who moved on to be a fire inspector.
He emailed my work and told me about it...forever in his debt
Keycard opens at 6am and stops working at 12am, but if your inside you can stay.
I wake up early on sat or Sunday get there shoot for a hour or so and get home in time for pancakes with the kids.

• Love
Reactions: Mr. Z
Got the 457VPT back to the range today. This may be as good as the factory barrel will do. I have a bed of Marine-Tex curing at the moment to see if it will calm it down some. All groups shot off of an Atlas and rear bag.

50yd
Left: SK Rifle Match Avg: 0.513" Best: 0.327"
Right: Lapua Center X Avg: 0.580" Best: 0.281"

100yd
Both SK Rifle Match
Left: Avg: 1.480" Best: 1.099"
Right: Avg: 1.240" Best: 0.487"

I"m really hoping a good bedding job will fix some of the issues. It throws unexplained WTF? flyers even with good ammo. This is a whole different game than center fire.

Last edited:
what distance are targets 3 and 4 shot at?
unless im missing it

as you probably read on here before...there is no guaranteed "good ammo/no flyers" for 22lr at 100 yards.
welcome to the rabbit hole of 22lr past 50 yards

as you probably read on here before...there is no guaranteed "good ammo/no flyers" for 22lr at 100 yards.
welcome to the rabbit hole of 22lr past 50 yards
Yeah, I'm definitely used to being able to control that variable pretty tightly. This is a different game for sure.

I removed the trigger from my Vudoo and sent it off to have the second stage lowered to 12oz. Maybe when I get it back I can bump Jbells Annie out of fourth place! HaHa!

I don't know when I'll get to 100 and 200 yards. I can only get that far down my drive way so I'll have to find a time when the family not home.

Can one of you tell me what the max ordinate of sk or center x will be at 100 and 200 yards? My driveway is pretty shaded.

Thanks,
Scootch

Reactions: jbell
I removed the trigger from my Vudoo and sent it off to have the second stage lowered to 12oz. Maybe when I get it back I can bump Jbells Annie out of fourth place! HaHa!

I don't know when I'll get to 100 and 200 yards. I can only get that far down my drive way so I'll have to find a time when the family not home.

Can one of you tell me what the max ordinate of sk or center x will be at 100 and 200 yards? My driveway is pretty shaded.

Thanks,
Scootch

Just running the numbers in my kestrel I get a Max ord of 3.28"@100yds and 18.61"@200yds.

This was calculated with a F1 of 0.140, velocity of 1060fps and zero range of 50 yds.

Well finally got the courage to add my offering to the hallowed halls of the 6x5 ...

CZ 455 Evolution
Dolphin bipod
rear bag
50m
little or no wind, 50 F
SH Rifle Match

group sizes ctc in inches
0.644 0.334
0.939 0.431
0.860 0.585

Last edited:
Welcome to the 6X5, I have you on the results. I put you in the list according to MOA not CTC group size, it will seem out of place but that is the most correct where you shot an extra 14 feet.

Major improvement with the bedding job. I bedded the action and 3.5" of the barrel with Marine-Tex and custom cut some full length grade 10.9 action screws.