• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7/17/20 AI update- Is it worth trading out for an AI?

1-500 yards for crop damage I would get a accurate 6.5 or 22 Creedmoor.

Bolt gun is never going to be as quick for follow up shots and secondary targets.

There’s a gap 10 22 Creedmoor in the classifieds

Reactions: Waknstak
I have a Rock River LAR8 in 308. Just want a high quality bolt gun like the AI. 308/6.5/260 would be the smallest I’d go. The bolt guns run quieter when suppressed as well.

Like mentioned earlier this is more of a want than a need. My savage 110 in 300 WM is one of the most accurate guns I own. And works great, as does my RR LAR 8 in 308, Rem 700 AAC-SD with XLR Evolution in 308 and GAP 300 WM as well.

The AI is top notch and I want to try it. That is basically what it comes down to. So I’m selling off stuff I don’t use to get one. I have no interest in another AR10 setup for what I do. The LAR 8 delivers everything I need in that category. Which is why it’s not listed for sale currently.

I want overbuilt high quality AI performance. I see the praise all the time on here for them and really want to see what the hype is about.

This isn’t like hog hunting etc either so a bolt gun is plenty fast for follow up shots. Waiting for deer to stop running and provide ethical shots etc gives plenty of time to operate even the bolt on my savage.

The first person to comment on here was absolutely correct. I won’t be happy til I have my AI ?

View attachment 7248937
sold three rifles to get this. Absolutely no regrets.
I want your case.. that's a sweet setup.

To the OP. if you want a AI. Save up sell do whatever you need and get one. You wont regret it. And if its what your wanting get what you want to make yourself happy. Your current rifle may be do the job. But obviously it isn't what you want. If that helps.

I was in your shoes once. I caught the AI bug I treated it with multiple rifles, a few 700s modified here and there, Savages, Tikkas in Manners stocks, Tikkas in Bell & Carlson stocks, Tikka in a KRG Bravo Chassis, even a 700 dropped in a AI chassis, only rifle worth keeping (which I did keep) was a Tikka CTR in a KRG Bravo, but it still didn't scratch that AI itch. I came across a smoking deal on a AIAX from a guy that was about a two hour drive away. I offered the guy one of my Tikka CTRs along with some cash(a lot actually...LOL) and he took me up on it. Finally my AI bug had been treated and I don't want to spoil it for you, but...................................................hell fuck yea it was worth every damn penny and it lives up to the hype......DO IT DO IT YOU WON"T REGRET IT!!!!!

The hunting this will be used for is “crop damage”. Essentially setting up in one spot in a field and shooting deer with DNR issued permits. And we shoot a LOT of deer lol. So the gun will get used. Reason for quick follow up shots etc. Just firing from one position on a large field 100-500 yards mainly from the prone position with no stalking walking etc except to get to hill where we set up so weight won’t really be an issue.

I have bigger guns for longer shots. I want to perfect my shooting with this rifle inside 500 yards through both dry fire and live fire. Currently I run 3 guns at this yardage for the same purpose. My goal it to make this AI the “go to” for this distance.

Gun will never be used In competition as I have guns set up for that already. Just steel and deer shooting 95% of the time from the prone position

I’ll take suggestions yet on what you guys have and prefer if you have any. I’m used to Savages and Rem 700 platforms so any preferences or issues you guys have are appreciated. Before I drop the coin on one. Currently I’m shopping the used market at used prices FYI so the real nice stuff is still out of reach and I don’t necessarily feel I need anything more than the AIAT

Not sure about the laws where you are, but were I doing depredation work from a blind, I'd highly recommend using a suppressor as well. Work from the back of the harem, forward.

I'd also see if there's a local FHFH (Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry), and have them come pick up the carcasses. May as well feed some people while culling back the wildlife...

Not sure about the laws where you are, but were I doing depredation work from a blind, I'd highly recommend using a suppressor as well. Work from the back of the harem, forward.

I'd also see if there's a local FHFH (Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry), and have them come pick up the carcasses. May as well feed some people while culling back the wildlife...

I shoot almost 100% suppressed while hunting. Also we have a food pantry “Feed America” I believe it’s called. Every deer shot gets gutted, head sent in to dnr for CWD testing and then get brought to our local locker plant. They clean/grind into hamburger. They also deliver the meat to a Salvation Army about 20 miles away that works as a central hub for several other ones and they distribute that meat where needed.

All meat is donated. Nothing left in the field (except the guts).

I actually received a call a few years ago from a lady thanking us for the meat. It made it down to an area hit by a hurricane. She manages to track me down through the locker plant which gave them my number. Was pretty cool to see where the meat actually ends up

I shoot almost 100% suppressed while hunting. Also we have a food pantry “Feed America” I believe it’s called. Every deer shot gets gutted, head sent in to dnr for CWD testing and then get brought to our local locker plant. They clean/grind into hamburger. They also deliver the meat to a Salvation Army about 20 miles away that works as a central hub for several other ones and they distribute that meat where needed.

All meat is donated. Nothing left in the field (except the guts).
Kudos to you, sir. Well done indeed.

Reactions: hafejd30
@candyx

Is running a special trading AI’s for savages if you have any laying around ??

I get a wholesale deal on AI's cheap from overseas , I clean the dirt off of them when the Brits drop them and run when they have to face down a Barrett MRAD.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
I know this is based on personal choice but I’ve been bitten by the AI bug lately and wondering if trading/selling some rifles out to afford one is worth it.

I posted the 2 I would probably need to trade or sell below to afford even a used one AIAE MKIII

I’m just wondering what your personal opinions are. If this was your trade off would you consider it worth it?

Gun would be used heavily as a hunting gun from a stationary position. Weight not a concern. 100-500 yard shooting.

I keep returning to the fact that the Rock River will do everything I need. Than still end up drooling on the AI......

DDM4V11
RRA LAR8 308 Win

View attachment 7248756View attachment 7248757

Save up. Sell things you no longer use or don’t find joy in. You will get the cash quicker then you think. Heck, the longer you have to save, the longer you are forced to delay gratification ..... the better it feels every time you shoot it. If you get cold feet go buy all your old stuff back. But you won’t. It will be worth it. I still like all the other guns but the AI just felt like my dream gun for so long it’s nice to reach that milestone.

Oh not to mention all the pussy this thing gets me!

Okay that last statement wasn’t true.

I sold 2 rifles and a scope to get my AIAT folder. I shoot it every week and each time it comes out of the safe, it brings me joy. Going on three years with it now. Sell your shit, buy an AI...
1582656300788.png

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Sold the DD, a scope and another cheap AR I got in a trade. Made the commitment to by my AIAT.

Next I will be selling a few more things to afford a NF ATACR. Until then I’ll run the Burris XTRII 3-15. Which is a great and clear scope which may serve me well for my needs.

AIAT/TBAC9 and ATACR should make a great combo

20” 308 is what’s on the gun. Which will work well for my needs. Hunting 100-500 yards. May get 260 barrel in future. The ability to buy the different calibers/length barrels and change them out easy is what steered me toward the AT. Amongst several other things I liked about the AT model as well after reading/research

Buying used from the px here. Worked out a deal to meet face to face this Saturday for the rifle

D2F6E5B8-CC40-4CE8-B3BD-8EE1A5388C35.png

Last edited:
If you're going to sell a semi, wait until 2024. The market is flush now, and unless those rifles are stock guns in stock configuration, you won't get out of them what you have in them. No one is buying franken-guns. If a democrat (or even better a communist) has a real chance of winning the presidency, that is the time to un-ass surplus semi-autos. That said, I wouldn't sell a semi-auto to buy a bolt action, even an AI. My toy fund looks similar to yours, but it is housed in a plastic bucket. But, don't listen to me, I don't even own a gun...

• Haha
Reactions: Steel+Killer
Sold the guns for what I bought them/traded them for. So I didn’t loose any money on them. I also barely used them. I’d rather just have the AI that I’ll legitimately use lots and enjoy than just sit on several AR’s waiting for prices to go up.

Also keeping in mind that everyone is sitting on AR and lowers waiting for the same price increases.

I still have a handful of rifles so I can take advantage of the price increase should it happen.

After reading the suggested posts above, weighing the trade offs on my end and taking into consideration that I’m just starting off building my family etc I made the choice to sell off what I don’t use and won’t miss. I don’t think I’ll have any regrets as I wasn’t attached to what I sold.

Sold my Impact 6 creed setup, just need to unload the Manners it was in and then I can join the AI club. Finally!

That is a statement in and of itself. The impact is probably my favorite custom action that ive fittled with. So smooth and light. You'll love your AI but its a completely different animal than an impact. Ive thrown around the idea of getting an impact to play with but without a doubt, would never sell my AI to get one or two impacts.

That is a statement in and of itself. The impact is probably my favorite custom action that ive fittled with. So smooth and light. You'll love your AI but its a completely different animal than an impact. Ive thrown around the idea of getting an impact to play with but without a doubt, would never sell my AI to get one or two impacts.
It is true that the Impacts are nice, but I actually prefer the feel of my Lone Peak to the Impact, so it was an easy decision.

Honestly didn’t even dump as much equipment as I expected. Still have several things listed on here for sale. I’ll have to use some of that money to buy something nice for the wife now ?

Honestly didn’t even dump as much equipment as I expected. Still have several things listed on here for sale. I’ll have to use some of that money to buy something nice for the wife now ?
Nice man. I can’t get over mine after a year and a half. I’m even trying figure out how to make it into a 450 bushmaster to hunt whitetail with here in MI and decide if I’m too crazy for the thought lol

Nice man. I can’t get over mine after a year and a half. I’m even trying figure out how to make it into a 450 bushmaster to hunt whitetail with here in MI and decide if I’m too crazy for the thought lol

Im in MI as well. Yooper

Im in MI as well. Yooper
Hell yea. Gods country. You get the grace of using most any cal you want if you so choose to hunt. I’m in the old shotgun zone which now allows for straight wall cartridges 1.8” or shorter. 450 BM is about the best/only option for factory loaded ammo.

My experiences:

-Sako TRG M10: Had one for a couple years. Shot it around 3k .338lm rounds and 2k 308. Shot great. Fed great, no primer piercing, slick as butter, refined ergonomics. Issues: Trigger will not adjust under 2 pounds. Folding stock broke at base by screw attacment (looks like design weakness), trg monopod broke twice, barrel sleeves are not sold separately. Sako has great service here in Europe.

-AI AXMC: Had one for a couple years. Replaced M10. Shot it around 700 .338lm and 500 6mm Creedmoor (had to stop because of issues). Shot great, built like a tank. A great dedicated .338 rifle. Issues. Tried to get it to feed 6BR, quickly found this to be a lost cause, then found it fed like shit with 6cm using AW mags. Decent feeding With AICS and MDT mags. Puckered and pierced primers even on moderate and low loads when using SRP (tried different brands). Bolt slipped and I had to locktite the set screw for the firing pin (came loose), trigger is good but can not adjust below 600grams safely (i hear the competition trigger sucks). AI has crappy service here in Europe.

Comparing the actions, I liked the feel of the M10 best. Bought the rifles at a nice price but of course sold them for less.

I thought I could just buy my way out of gunsmithing but quickly found this is not the case unless you run the AI exactly as set up from factory (in .338, 308, or 260) using large rifle primers. These systems will never be optimal for PRS, thought they are among the best military sniper rifles in the world (i have my doubts about the M10 durability tho).

Next project: Defiance build in 6cm in foundation stock. Good there is little desert where i live.

forgot to add the AXMC was roughly machined below the feed ramp (sharp edge), contributing to poor feeding from AW mags pointing the nose low . AI tech uk said it was my problem as I was running a non 308, 300, 338 cartridge (6cm). Except for my issues. Loved the rifle. Worth the price to me... absolutely not. You can get as good and perhaps better systems these days for less money. My Defiance, foundation, triggertech build will be about 5k when done. So about 2k less than an AI. Resale value will be worse, but I will (fingers crossed) not have the problems listed with the big military sniper rifles...

Last edited by a moderator:
Any reason to go AT over AX? after running the numbers, I can get a demo AX in 260 from Eurooptic for a couple hundred more than a used AT after an AX buttstock swap and rebarrel.

Any reason to go AT over AX? after running the numbers, I can get a demo AX in 260 from Eurooptic for a couple hundred more than a used AT after an AX buttstock swap and rebarrel.

Used AT's are going for $1,000-$1,500 less than those demo AX's around here.

Other than price difference; no. The way most use their AI's there is no difference, just personal preference.

I just bought an AIAT 6.5 CM with the AX butt stock conversion. I opted for the AT because I am not a fan of the tube style fore end and the price point of the AT works better for my application. Jmo

I felt the same, kept looking at AIs (AI AT in my case) and eventually thought, just go for it - not regretted it.

This is mine, now with a thumb-hole conversion stock. The RPR is mine too.
AI_RPR.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Surly
Haven’t got mine yet. Should be here on Tuesday. I was skeptical at first because I have not shot or held one. I shoot a gap 6xc now that shoots lights out. Hoping the ai does the same. Going out on a limb but whats 4k lol

Reactions: trob_205
I couldn't take it anymore and ended up buying the AT in the MPA chassis out of the PX. I was worried about the fitment of a rifle I hadn't tried before, but the MPA chassis solves that worry. I can't wait to see what all the hype is about.

I couldn't take it anymore and ended up buying the AT in the MPA chassis out of the PX. I was worried about the fitment of a rifle I hadn't tried before, but the MPA chassis solves that worry. I can't wait to see what all the hype is about.

I take it that’s the one Adam B was selling? If so that’s who I bought my GAP 300 WM from. Great guy and takes care of his equipment

I take it that’s the one Adam B was selling? If so that’s who I bought my GAP 300 WM from. Great guy and takes care of his equipment
Yep, that’s the one. He seems like a good dude, and has been very responsive to my questions.

I’ve killed a lot of deer with my current setups but never really kept track of what was donated in total. I think with this AI I’m going to keep track based on average lbs per deer donated vs amount of deer total donated.

I think it be cool to see in the life of this AI rifle how much meat in total gets donated

If you can be patient and don't need a safe queen watch Mile Highs gun broker listings. They usually get in LE trade in AI's once or twice a year. MKIII's and AW's do show up every now and then, but it's far less often than the MKI's and MKII's.

The trade in usually show heavy signs of use, but they are always in solid working condition and they are a heck of a deal with MKI's are around $1500 and MKII's around $1800.

or you can consider EuroOptic… they have demo/sale units that are discounted by a couple thousand... never shot, only taken and displayed at shows

I’m getting very close to purchasing an AI. I’m leaning toward the AIAT currently.

Question...

Can you dry fire the AI without hurting the gun. As in no snap caps etc. I do it all the time with savage/Rem actions but couldn’t seem to google foo if the AI were the same way.

My plan is to make this my go to rifle. Which is why I’m leaning towards the AT. So I want to get great with it. I don’t shoot PRS etc but I want to dry fire and be able to run the bolt like a champ. I watched a couple of lowlights videos (firing the AI against the RPR in a mad minute) and was very impressed how fast and smooth that bolt operates. No doubt after lots of practice etc. Also want to get used to the trigger etc.

I’m getting exited to step into the AI world of rifles. Everything I’ve read seems I should have looked into them years ago

it was my choice as well... got my AI/AT a couple of months ago, and it is sweet... put a S&B PMII 5-25x56 on it... total package comes out to 17.25 pounds... have both the 6.5 cr and the .308 barrels, very easy to work with... tested Black Hills, Federal Gold, Norma and Hornady match rounds... my 6.5 loves the Hornady 140 ELD, by a long shot and going away... it produced immediate .25 MOA at 100

Reactions: RS14
I have owned a TRG-42. Never owned an AI.

I currently own 7 rifles, and 4 of them have custom actions ARC Nucleus. It depends on the guy, but I'd prefer to have more than one rifle.