• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 7.62x51 vs. Win .308

eastexsteve

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2018
NE Texas
Considering 7.62x51 vs. Win .308, is there any difference in the exterior dimensions of the two cases? I didn't think there was. Am I mistaken?

Short answer: yes they are different. If you look at the Sami headspace specs, 7.62 has a slightly longer headspace. Nato 7.62 chambers are rated for slightly less pressure (someone can correct me here).

7.62 stamped brass is usually thicker and has less case capacity so loads for 308 win will need to be reduced in 7.62 marked brass. Depends on what type of build your doing and what your goals are which chamber you would want. Brass life would probably be extended in a 308 chamber.

Reactions: eastexsteve
Thanks for the replies. I measured the ammo cases on a batch of 7.62x51 that I have, and as near as I can measure it, the shoulder length appears to be a couple thousandths longer than the .308 Win specs given in my old Speer reloading manual. The end result is that I have a tighter-than-usual .308 Win bolt gun that really can't shoot this ammo. But, by all indications, it should shoot OK in a 7.62x51 semi-auto gun. Too bad. It's match ammo, and I really wanted to see how this stuff shot in the bolt gun. I'll just save it for my HK91.

Sounds about right. Is this loaded 762 ammo or just brass?

Thanks for the replies. I measured the ammo cases on a batch of 7.62x51 that I have, and as near as I can measure it, the shoulder length appears to be a couple thousandths longer than the .308 Win specs given in my old Speer reloading manual. The end result is that I have a tighter-than-usual .308 Win bolt gun that really can't shoot this ammo. But, by all indications, it should shoot OK in a 7.62x51 semi-auto gun. Too bad. It's match ammo, and I really wanted to see how this stuff shot in the bolt gun. I'll just save it for my HK91.

Have you tried to shoot the ammunition? If not, put down the calipers and pick up the rifle. If the bolt will close, the ammo will fire...

Reactions: eastexsteve
Have you tried to shoot the ammunition? If not, put down the calipers and pick up the rifle. If the bolt will close, the ammo will fire...
I fired two rounds. It loads and extracts hard without firing. I thought that if I fired it, the cartridge might "fire form" and extract easier. Unfortunately, it still extracts hard after you fire it.

Hlee is correct. If the bolt closes without being forced shoot it. If you have a 308 win gas gun I probably wouldn't but only cuz I have seen an out of battery discharge before :(

Fire forming is only going to make the cases bigger, to the point where you get a stuck case. If extraction of a loaded cartridge is "hard" I would call it too large for the rifle.

I had some guy at the local gun store suggest I run them through a full length sizer die. I can't put my finger on it, but there is something about that idea that makes my skin crawl.o_O

I had some guy at the local gun store suggest I run them through a full length sizer die. I can't put my finger on it, but there is something about that idea that makes my skin crawl.o_O
I'm thinking that it would be better if you used sufficient lube and removed the decapping assembly first - but you should do what you think is best :)

I'm thinking that it would be better if you used sufficient lube and removed the decapping assembly first - but you should do what you think is best :)

If the sizing die is a full length sizer, wouldn't it try to reduce the outside neck diameter and "crimp" the bullet in the case? The full length sizer usually reduces the outside neck diameter, then the decapping assembly opens the neck to a desired inside diameter.

Maybe if you used a body sizing die, but I'm like you, the thought of it .....not for me!