• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

7 SAUM or 7-00 PRC or 7-300WSM

Yep, basically this, along with factory rifles with fast twists and hopefully more, and more modern load data. Not exactly in line with this thread, but my interest is in a light-ish hunting rifle, it'd be much cheaper to just buy a light factory rifle and have the barrel chopped/threaded than to build a light custom with a 3 position safety like I prefer for hunting. Existing factory 7mm SAUMs, WSMs, and 280 AIs aren't super common, and are often twisted slow. I'm sure I'll just build something eventually, but an easy button would be nice.
There are a few more 280AI factory rifles on the market now with faster twists: https://www.browning.com/products/f...ndDesc=X-Bolt&caliberDesc=280 ACKLEY IMPROVED - hopefully more will come over time.

I definitely see your point regarding cost, especially if you prefer a 3 position safety. It's unfortunate that the older cartridges aren't seeing improvements over time to twist on factory rifles, based on bullet modernization. Weatherby and Savage seem to just love to settle on a twist rate and ride it into the dust. I can't remember if it's Kimber or Savage, but one of them is running a 1:9.5" twist - wtf.

I just browsed some old threads here at the hide, and in 2012, people were suggesting 1:9" for 280AI, with a few discussing 1:8.5". Times change, I just wish the major manufacturers would keep up with them. It's clear the market has shifted to heavy-for-caliber bullets, and for whatever reason the manufacturers are just burying their heads in the sand. It shouldn't take a new cartridge to influence changes in twist rates, as we've all seen, faster twists (shy of blowing up bullets) are relatively fine with the lighter bullets.

You wouldn't want a 1:7" on a 28 Nosler shooting 120gr bullets, but a 1:8.5 or even 1:8 would be pretty safe on a factory 280AI for just about any ammunition you'd ever buy on the shelf (assuming there was ammo on shelves).

Reactions: Gtscotty
7 PRC is supposedly the new name for the 7LRM. The tip off is in the Gunwerks Long Range Pursuit podcast. I think it was episode 100. It seems pretty certain that is the case...in this case...about this case...;)

Reactions: TrevK
I agree the middle case size between short mag and 300PRC length.

Something like the 7 LRM.
Steelie we've chat on this before. I'm still not ready to do a new build yet, but get closer and closer. Let me throw this into the equation. 1. I don't care about barrel length as I'm stationary nor do I care about weight the fatter the better. 2. I single load even use a loading block and mag sits at home so SA possible. Would love to sling 7mm pills. Still 7SAUM? The brass availability seems to still be a cluster ADG still out of stock.