• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7 saum

Is that minimum freebore with the 180 hybrid and the bearing surface nearest the boat tail at the case shoulder?

Thanks for the pm Steelhead. I had the concept but needed help with the visual to make sure I understood. So with the bottom of the bearing surface at the case neck-shoulder junction and that freebore you measured on the lands at .055-.060 it sounds like the .180 freebore is the golden ticket with the hybrid if your looking to add the .02 jump.

Im about to jump into the 7 saum world, putting a 26-28” barrel in a short TL3 action. Sounds like .180 freebore is best. I now need to find a reamer.

I am learning and jumping now myself. Here is what I got so far for notes. Anyone with real experience jump in and correct me if I am wrong please! The saum is a short action cartridge but if you want to do a .180 freebore it is optimized for a mid length or long action with the berger 180 grain bullet at .02ish off the lands. The original saami spec for freebore is .090 that is optimized for a short action setup due to coal restrictions. Steelhead, who has been very helpful, runs his in a short action with a saami chamber with great results. He has posted that he single feeds some heavy bullets he shoots ELR with, but for regular use they have to fit in a short action mag, which usually are limited to around 2.95 coal depending on your setup. The 180 hybrid is longer than that when put in its happy place.

Generally a saami 7 saum is considered around 2.825 inches max coal I believe, but if your action or magazine will allow longer than that then idk? Others here have much more experience with loading this cartridge than I do. Hopefully they will confirm or deny what I just said.

Edit: I looked up the saami max coal and corrected it.

Last edited:
I'll jump on the bandwagon, new to 7 saum and also building on a TL3. My arc mags are just a smidge over 2.95 at 2.97... also looking to use the Berger 180s.

So basically if you want to be able to load/cycle from your mags you just need to seat your bullets in the brass down far enough that they fit inside the magazine without deforming the tips or binding. If I were building mine off of a short action magazine and didn't want to exclusively single feed my rounds, I think it would make more sense to go the easy route and choose a saami chamber with .09 freebore...seeing as how enough people are able to dial it in so well with similar setups. I dont know all the pros and cons of 180 hybrids in a saami chamber, but the cons don't seem to really limit people from what I have seen here.

Reactions: Shoots 700's
Building a 7mm saum as a hunting rifle would like to have an idea on loads, with some powders I have on hand and with my rifle specs. I will neck turn all my brass to .015".
What speeds would I expect with the bullets and powders I have listed?
Thank you,
Elmer

Bighorn TL3 short action
Benchmark #2, 8 twist cut rifled barrel, 24" finished length
JGS Sammi spec reamer .090" freebore
Triggertech Diamond trigger
AG composites Alpine hunter stock
PTG M5 DBM, Mag length is 2.970"

Powders on hand; Brass; 220 pieces of Rem 7mm saum
Retumbo 90 pieces of Norma 7mm saum
Imr 8133
Imr 7797
VN570
H1000
RL-26 about 1.5lbs tough to find
H-4831

Bullets on hand;
Berger 180 hybrids
Berger 168 vlds
Hornady 162 amax

4831 for the 160’s
H1000, 7977 and r26 for the 180’s but in a short action R26 is better if you want full speed.
Possibly with roomier Rem brass you can stuff enough H1000 and 7977 in to get good speeds.

Building a 7mm saum as a hunting rifle would like to have an idea on loads, with some powders I have on hand and with my rifle specs. I will neck turn all my brass to .015".
What speeds would I expect with the bullets and powders I have listed?
Thank you,
Elmer

Bighorn TL3 short action
Benchmark #2, 8 twist cut rifled barrel, 24" finished length
JGS Sammi spec reamer .090" freebore
Triggertech Diamond trigger
AG composites Alpine hunter stock
PTG M5 DBM, Mag length is 2.970"

Powders on hand; Brass; 220 pieces of Rem 7mm saum
Retumbo 90 pieces of Norma 7mm saum
Imr 8133
Imr 7797
VN570
H1000
RL-26 about 1.5lbs tough to find
H-4831

Bullets on hand;
Berger 180 hybrids
Berger 168 vlds
Hornady 162 amax
I am not using the powders you have listed, but for what it is worth I am getting 3093 fps and a SD of 12.8 using:
168vld
60.9 gr IMR 7828 SSC
Norma Brass
GM210M primers

Running a proof Carbon sendero 24in 8.24 twist, defiance action

I am not using the powders you have listed, but for what it is worth I am getting 3093 fps and a SD of 12.8 using:
168vld
60.9 gr IMR 7828 SSC
Norma Brass
GM210M primers

Running a proof Carbon sendero 24in 8.24 twist, defiance action
Thats super fast, which reamer freebore?
If can get 3000 with my setup and the 168 vlds I'd be happy.

Anyone using Sierra 180 MK? I've had good luck with Sierra 150 TGK in my 7/08, but I don't see much love for Sierra in the 7 SAUM here.

Reactions: PorkChop
Do you guys have any idea or load data 7mm saum throated long run it in long action with 151 grain bullet? Powders on hand imr 7977 and imr 8133. Load data or speed? I have a few other powders just not alot of them like 1 pound of rl26 1 pound 4350

Do you guys have any idea or load data 7mm saum throated long run it in long action with 151 grain bullet? Powders on hand imr 7977 and imr 8133. Load data or speed? I have a few other powders just not alot of them like 1 pound of rl26 1 pound 4350
I am getting 3100fps with a 162gr and RL26. ~64grs. Never shot the 151gr. But I'm just starting to compress the powder with the 162gr bullet. Still no indication of excessive pressure. You'll get good velocity with RL 26.

You’re loading the PVA 151’s right? I will be soon too, probably use H4350 and load to 3.035.

I’m sure RL26 will work but I’d rather save that for something heavier

You’re loading the PVA 151’s right? I will be soon too, probably use H4350 and load to 3.035.

I’m sure RL26 will work but I’d rather save that for something heavier
Yes but the deal fell threw on the new barrel. My buddy had it pretty new but no brass and cant find any so gonna stick with what brass i have and 28 nosler

Hmmm. I just looked. They dont show any brass at all. Ive never seen them not have brass. If your still thinking that direction it might be worth a phone call on Tuesday

I am getting 3100fps with a 162gr and RL26. ~64grs. Never shot the 151gr. But I'm just starting to compress the powder with the 162gr bullet. Still no indication of excessive pressure. You'll get good velocity with RL 26.
What's your barrel length?

Hmmm. I just looked. They dont show any brass at all. Ive never seen them not have brass. If your still thinking that direction it might be worth a phone call on Tuesday
I emailed them a few days ago they said no brass for sale in 2021. Its my buddies barrel 300 rds on it kreiger 1-8 twist he had 100 gunwerks to go with it but cant find them. And brass is no where to be found for anything

Damn I was going to say Precision Reloading had some for the longest but I just checked and they are out too now.

Thats what I was thinking too. They will make more. It seems like they did at least 2 runs of ADG that I noticed in 2020. That sucks about gunwerks. They were going to be my back up

Seems like ADG does 7 saum brass every 3-4 months.
Might not be long before a new push arrives because I just bought some a few months ago.

The barrel is no wait and screw right on to my nuke so it would be nice. You guys have any spare brass laying around?

Reactions: IronOperator87
If you put you email in at adg's website under the caliber you want they will let you know when they make more.

There is Norma brass available
Thank you. I never have much luck with nosler thats what popped up on link. Primer pockets seem to be weak and take downloading

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
Went with nosler brass and got the barrel bought always wanted a saum so couldnt resist

Anyone use the nosler saum brass with good luck?
I bought an overpriced box that was hiding at my lgs. It’s nice but overpriced

Norma pops up in the PX from time to time, they are also the oem for Nosler.

ADG makes the Gunwerks.

so only 2 companies make 7 saum brass, darn

there’s a guy selling 200 pieces of new Rem 300 SAUM brass in the PX. He’s pretty proud of them but if you’re really needing brass you might make him an offer and neck them down and prep them. Rem brass takes some work but it has a good capacity and lasts a long time.

I have a couple hundred pieces of Hornady 6.5 SAUM brass I could always expand them out to 7mm if I’m desperate enough.

Also Creedmoor Sports takes backorders for ADG so if you wanted to just do that and relax that’s another option.

Anyone have any load data for either 180 ELDMs or 180 Hybrids with H4350 in a short action? I'm currently running 180 ELDMs with H1000 and in Bertram brass and getting 2800fps out of a 26" barrel. Have some 180 Hybrids en route and would like to try H4350 as well as H1000. Most of the loads I've seen for H4350 are in long actions.
I’m looking for the same info. I’m building a TL3 switch barrel with a 7saum from PVA. H4350 is all I have, and a bunch of 180eld-m’s. I have the MDT SAUM mags, but dont mind single feeding.

Reactions: Watchale