• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700 PSS??

Prisoncop

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2020
Michigan
I'm looking at possibly purchasing this rifle next weekend. Seller states it is a Remington 700 PSS made in 1989. Seller also states the barrel is 24" and was a PD turn-in. I could be wrong but was under the assumption that all stock PSS barrels were 26". Price is $850 that includes a Redfield base and rings. Seller was going to make it an M40 clone with a Redfield accurange. Does this appear to be an actual PSS? I guess Ive never seen one that old.....and in a wood stock. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240127-142521.png
    Screenshot_20240127-142521.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 298
No way of telling from just photographs. You used to be able to contact Remington with the serial number and they could tell you which model it was sold as.

There were several Remington 700 models that had varmint/Sendero barrel profiles with different twist rates and calibers.

I'm looking at possibly purchasing this rifle next weekend. Seller states it is a Remington 700 PSS made in 1989. Seller also states the barrel is 24" and was a PD turn-in. I could be wrong but was under the assumption that all stock PSS barrels were 26". Price is $850 that includes a Redfield base and rings. Seller was going to make it an M40 clone with a Redfield accurange. Does this appear to be an actual PSS? I guess Ive never seen one that old.....and in a wood stock. Thoughts?

$850 isn't too bad for that rifle if it shoots, whether it's an acutal PSS or not...Get pictures of groups as well as more detailed pictures of the rifle itself, from the seller.

I have two factory Remington P rifles and they both shoot lights out

I'd offer $750 cash and walk away with it...

If it has a six-digit serial, you can turn it into an M40A1; E or G prefix, M40A3 or A5.

I aimed low on the price starting at $650. He's not budging at $850. I'm not 100% positive but I believe the Sendero barrels were stamped as such. Not sure about the Varmint. I'm waiting on more pics. Here's a pic of the base and rings. Scope not included.

Attachments

• 2697.jpeg
    2697.jpeg
    236 KB · Views: 104
FWIW I have a 223 PSS, early 90's. HS synthetic stock, parkerized barrel and bolt, two swivel mounts in the front. On this 223 twist ia 1:9 Accurate, trained several new people with it.

Reactions: Bender
... a Remington 700 PSS made in 1989. Seller also states the barrel is 24" and was a PD turn-in. I could be wrong but was under the assumption that all stock PSS barrels were 26". Price is $850 that includes a Redfield base and rings. Does this appear to be an actual PSS? I guess Ive never seen one that old.....and in a wood stock. Thoughts?
If you don't buy it, please PM me the seller's contact info.

That is a generic Remington 700 sniper with the 24" barrel, vintage from the mid-60s through the 70s 1980s when before the factory went to H-S Precision for both 700 Varmint and the 700 PSS. The Army bought the wheel-adjustable length-of-pull for the M24 starting in 1984.

The military sniper version was parkerized while the Police was matte-blast blued.

1706671183439.png
1706671232223.png

The Marines and Air Force bought that rifle as the original M40 Vietnam sniper rifle while the Army went semi-automatic with the M21.

The commercial / civilian 700 Varmint Special was typically in a BDL stock while the receiver and barrel were polished blue. I believe the 26-inch barrel became an option in the early 90s with the H-S stock.

The Sendero was typically the long-action version with the 26-inch barrel for 270, 30-06, 7mm, and 300 Win Mag.

Remington 700 BDL Varmint Special.jpg

Last edited:
The commercial / civilian 700 Varmint Special was typically in a BDL stock while the receiver and barrel were polished blue. I believe the 26-inch barrel became an option in the early 90s with the H-S stock.

The Sendero was typically the long-action version with the 26-inch barrel for 270, 30-06, 7mm, and 300 Win Mag.

View attachment 8337192

I found one of those vintage Varmint Special/Sendero stocks many years ago sitting in a random mom & pop gun store on the outskirts of an old hick town in the middle of Bumfuck. They wanted $150 for it, and I said, I'd be back to get it. Fast forward a year, and I had almost completely forgotten about that stock, and happened to stop in there again, and it was still sitting there collecting dust. I told him that stock was there a year ago, and he said, "yeah, it's been here a LONG time...Nobody even looks at it... What'll you give me for it?" I said, all the cash I got in my pocket is $75, and he said SOLD! I built a custom Sendero SF clone using that stock, a new stainless 700 LA, and a NOS takeoff Sendero SF .25-06 barrel that I had punched to .25-06 Ackley Improved 40º. Even the fire-forming loads shoot sub-MOA.

IMG_6828.jpeg
IMG_2130.jpeg
IMG_2413.jpegIMG_2412.jpegIMG_2427.jpeg

That is a very nice rifle and for what 700’s are selling for these days it is a very fair price. That could be an aftermarket stock (it looks like one either boyds or accurate innovation offered), heLL it could be a factory M40 tribute rifle. I would buy it…

I aimed low on the price starting at $650. He's not budging at $850. I'm not 100% positive but I believe the Sendero barrels were stamped as such. Not sure about the Varmint. I'm waiting on more pics. Here's a pic of the base and rings. Scope not included.

Senderos were fluted.

Senderos were fluted.
That is not a correct statement. My '94 Sendero I bought new is not fluted.

Actually, the one I have is a replacement for the original pos that Remington got back a third time due to a very roughly cut chamber that they tried to polish out. They were talking about cutting it back and rechambering. They finally fixed it by building a new one in the custom shop and sending me that.

There was a Stainless Fluted model, but the carbon barreled guns were not fluted.

If you don't buy it, please PM me the seller's contact info.

That is a generic Remington 700 sniper with the 24" barrel, vintage from the mid-60s through the 70s when the factory went to H-S Precision for both 700 Varmint and the 700 PSS. The Army bought the wheel-adjustable length-of-pull for the M24 starting in 1984.
I don't think it is a 1960's lineage.
Most of the early 700s had a different bolt shroud and used a slightly different shaped casting for the bolt handle. Their triggers were also totally different but that detail can't be seen in the above pic.

Remington did make this rifle again in the 2000s.
I think they offered it for 3 or 4 years. They were nice. I think this rifle may be one of those.

If the OP could post the serial number with Xs subtituted for the last 3 or 4 digits, you could get a handle on the date it was produced.

I found one of those vintage Varmint Special/Sendero stocks many years ago sitting in a random mom & pop gun store on the outskirts of an old hick town in the middle of Bumfuck. They wanted $150 for it, and I said, I'd be back to get it. Fast forward a year, and I had almost completely forgotten about that stock, and happened to stop in there again, and it was still sitting there collecting dust. I told him that stock was there a year ago, and he said, "yeah, it's been here a LONG time...Nobody even looks at it... What'll you give me for it?" I said, all the cash I got in my pocket is $75, and he said SOLD! I built a custom Sendero SF clone using that stock, a new stainless 700 LA, and a NOS takeoff Sendero SF .25-06 barrel that I had punched to .25-06 Ackley Improved 40º. Even the fire-forming loads shoot sub-MOA.

View attachment 8337243View attachment 8337238View attachment 8337241View attachment 8337239View attachment 8337242
That looks like a fun cartridge!

Reactions: FuhQ

Actually, the one I have is a replacement for the original pos that Remington got back a third time due to a very roughly cut chamber that they tried to polish out. They were talking about cutting it back and rechambering. They finally fixed it by building a new one in the custom shop and sending me that.

There was a Stainless Fluted model, but the carbon barreled guns were not fluted.

Noted. Only senderos I've ever been aware of were fluted stainless and post -2000

Senderos were fluted.
Not the original Sendero…Earliest versions were non-fluted & gloss blued, and then non-fluted & matte blue. Only the SF (Stainless Fluted) and SF II models were/are fluted.

That said, one of the big distributors (Ellott Brothers, Bangers, TALO, etc…) ordered a special run of SF models with matte blued finish SF barrels and actions, and were the exclusive distributor of them. So there are a VERY few blued & fluted Senderos floating around out there. I’ve missed out on a few of them over the years, but I’ll add one to the collection one day.

I actually have an extremely early (gloss blued, non-fluted) Sendero barrel factory chambered in 7mm STW, that I built into a custom off a spare 700 CDL 7RUM action I had. Dropped it into a Gen 1 5R Milspec HS Precision stock. That gun has never had a live round fired through it, and I built it over 10 years ago.

IMG_2815.jpeg

IMG_2817.jpeg

Last edited:

Fun Fact: The carbon barreled guns wore @christensenarms barrels, and were built around the year 2000. They were not Senderos, they were actually called the VS Composite. They are EXTREMELY rare. We sold a few back in the day at the gun store, but they were always pre-sold to some rich lawyer guy before they ever got delivered. I swear he bought 8-10 of them in 1 year, and had several of each chambering option.

Last edited:
If memory serves me, they made both 700P and 700PSS versions. Both came with the H&S Precision graphite stock with a fixed buttplate. But it also only had an aluminum bedding block that extended a few inches beyond the receiver, not full-length as found on the M24 stock. Reports of front sling posts ripping out from bipod tension were common.

I forget how many of these I used and or purchased for PD between 1985through2000

The originals were 24”. Later they made 26” and even later they made an LTR 20” version. I think the earlier 24” models were the best

Being a PD trade in give it a good cleaning. I can’t remember how man shot out PD guns I got second hand that just needed a very good cleaning

On a side note. Original had Walnut stock then two different HS stocks over the years. Most had aluminum bedding blocks all the way up the forensic but a few only had the action area with aluminum. Those were briefly in mid 1990’s

Best PD production sniper system of that era

If it’s a walnut stocked one tell me what body part I need to sell. lol

Jealous -- she's a beauty.

That photo of the Marine sniper above with the M40 (post #7) exemplifies how Carlos Hathcock and many Vietnam Marines stated a sniper's rifle should be a (man) hunter's rifle. The M40A1 (and M24), though exceptionally precise seemed really heavy with that tractor-axle thick barrel.

The 26-inch Remington 700P / Varmint barrel still smoked my bags hauling it through Utah mountains at 10,000 feet where I normally hunted. Once you killed a mulie we packed everything back (normally multiple trips if you quartered it).

No, it doesn't look like either of mine.
I purchased two Rem 700 PSS...one 20" LTR, with fluted barrel and the other a full 26" fluted barrel.
The 26" works a lot better for LR than the 20", I ran 8000rds through both.
They come with a black HS Precision Aluminum bedding block stock. Not wood...the 26" had the palm swell stock the other not with a slightly shorter forearm, all black dull finished. Capable of good accuracy the 26" was a great rifle shot 8000 rds through the barrel.

Repurposed Rem 700 PPS LTR

The picture is the rem 700 PPS LTR stock (factory) with a new 22" 9 twist Bartlein 5 R, with a 10 rd detachable MDT mag set up for 2.990" cartridges. Total cost is $600 including the new mag...$400 was the new barrel...shoots 200 SMK .715 G1 to 2740 fps, hence the 9 twist. Added a muzzle brake, tactical bolt knob, adjust stock trigger to 2 lbs.
But I did all the chambering work...so tbe labor is free and I already had a 308 reamer, total cost $600 was components.

Cut the old 26" barrel down to 20" on both ends and chambered it for 30 RAR, shoots great in an AR 15 platform now.
But...That's what the 700 PPS stock looks like...

Attachments

• 20210905_164020.jpg
    20210905_164020.jpg
    524.2 KB · Views: 85
So, this brings me back to the original question...is this a 700p / 700 PSS? I haven't had much time to do any research, working 16 mandated hours every other day because people don't seem to want to work anymore for some reason. Thank God it's Friday!!

Reactions: Lwood
I seem to recall a "White Feather" special edition that came in a wooden stock. It wasn't that long ago, within the last ten years I thought.

Reactions: sinister
A "C" serial number is 1977 right? So that wouldn't be a PSS or P to my knowledge. https://wooxstore.com/blogs/woox-journal/remington-700-serial-number-lookup-an-essential-guide
I think the rifle is a modern reproduction with QD sling swivels (also considering the Harris bipod). A Marine rifle would have had something closer to permanently-attached M-14 swivels to take the GI web or leather sling.

M40.png

I don't think the 700P existed in 1977. Most civilian police departments hadn't considered SWAT teams with sniper capability until the early 70s.

These 1975 photos are from the TV show "SWAT," based on LAPD and their cutting-edge equipment (a Model 70):

1706926620823.png
1706927033976.png

A 1977 would have been a plain commercial 700 "M40" sniper (as opposed to a 700 BDL Varmint which I bought in 1982). Remington's other target rifle would have been a 40-X (much more expensive).

A comparable rifle would have been a Winchester Model 70 Marksman which was very popular for target competition.

6123da0de8c10d9167bb6d0176576ff99a26fecb8ee6f.jpg

Both the 40-X and Model 70 would have been very heavy to lug around Vietnam in the heat and humidity.

Last edited:
C prefix can’t be used for dating it, you’d have to use the 2 letters on the barrel. Original 700P rifles came with 24” barrel and walnut stock as noted above. It’s a 700p. One of the telltale signs is the plastic buttplate vs earlier aluminum ones or later rubber ones.

• Love
Reactions: sinister
OP,
MY 1988 vintage 700 PSS was purchased new by me (11 year veteran officer at the time) and subsequently put into service on my agency’s (Municipal Police) Special Operations Team (SOT). It has a 24” barrel.

It was the first year that Remington used the HS Precision PSS (Police Sharp Shooter) synthetic stock, painted flat black. Previous years were the wood stocked version as seen in Post #1 and the first picture in Post #7.
I attended the FBI/Sniper-Observer course (taught by USMC former snipers from Quantico, VA [Ray Sweet?] I need to check my notes from the course) in the fall of 1988 and used that rifle until retiring from the Team in 1995.

I mounted a Bausch & Lomb 10x Mil-Dot reticle Police Tactical scope with MOA adjustments on it. It was a brand new scope to the market (mine is #25. White box/no markings). Very bright and clear. In 2002 or so I ran into some East Coast SEALS who were training at Camp Guernsey in WY who invited me to their barracks (I knew one of their uncles in OK) and I observed their gear. Included was the very same model B&L 10x Mil/MOA scope on an M-21 that would be headed to Afghanistan with those guys when they deployed. I don’t recall the optics mount.

Yes, Mil reticle/MOA adjustments. It was the hot-shit at the time. We shot police sniper competitions at various military installations in OK. We usually competed on the M-60 ranges with air-operated knock-down targets. My rifle grouped FEDERAL GOLD MEDAL .308 Match 168 grain ammunition into .4” ctc for five round groups @ 100yards.
Later agency-purchased guns also shot into .4”. Plenty adequate for the intended purpose.

Technology and knowledge of sniping has really advanced since those days. MUCH better gear, rifles and optics than we had (Laser rangefinders? That is Dick Tracy stuff!).

We all owe Frank @Lowlight and lots of other unnamed men here a debt of gratitude for his/their efforts in advancing the craft.

I hope this helps you pin down the DOB for the rifle you’re looking at.

Edited to add 12/7/1989 photo from the range during the FBI Sniper/Observer School.
Day 4 was freezing rain. Rifle and gear were encased in a light coat of ice.

Aaaaand, I may be wrong on the purchase year of the rifle.
Looking at the certificate for the school, I now believe it was purchased during summer of 1989.
Hey, it was a long time ago…..

IMG_8743.jpeg

Last edited:
C prefix can’t be used for dating it, you’d have to use the 2 letters on the barrel. Original 700P rifles came with 24” barrel and walnut stock as noted above. It’s a 700p. One of the telltale signs is the plastic buttplate vs earlier aluminum ones or later rubber