• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700 sps tactical as deer gun

rackchaser71

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2010
myakka city FL
hey guys, well with a 600$ limit i have narrowed my new rifle choice down to the 700sps tactical with the 20" barrel, but im no sniper, just a deer hunter and target shooter, i havnt found a gun yet that wont shoot the hornady sst good and plan on shooting them out of this rifle, has anyone tried this combo, what do you think???? thanks

Re: 700 sps tactical as deer gun

Can't beat it with a stick. SPS-T and LTR are about as good as it gets for a dder rig. Short barrel and accurate. What's more to say.

I have an SPSv that I hunt with. I replaced the stock because the one if comes with is junk. The SPStactical comes with a good stock I think, so youre probably good there.

Mine gets heavy carrying it around for awhile, and im thinking of getting the barrel shotrened a bit to offset the weight. I might have been better to buy the tactical model first, but I cant get past it saying "tactical" on the side. You could always paint over that though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inode</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't beat it with a stick. SPS-T and LTR are about as good as it gets for a dder rig. Short barrel and accurate. What's more to say. </div></div>

Very, very, very true statement! GTG!

I carry one often. It's one of fav little rifles. Pick up a used LTR stock and drop your rifle into it. You'll be much happier. I've yet to see one that will not shoot sub MOA when loads are developed for it. Most shoot just about anything you run in them.

Put Talley LWs and 1" tubed 40mm Leupold to keep the weight down OR get into a "tactical" rings and base and a Nikon Tactical if you want a #10 rifle.

I still hunt with my PSS 24", i'm 42 and it is getting to be a bit heavy to carry now and then (Cascade montains)

A SPS 20" sould be fine

me and a few of my friends shot several deer and yotes with various sps-t last year. great little accurate packeage that is easy to tote around in the woods. 2 where in .308 and 1 in .223. I would suggest that platform to anyone who would listen.

I use my LTR for everyting that i currently shoot with intent to make dead. have yet to not put meat in the freezer with it last shot was relatively close but at nearly 50 degrees downslope had to finish an animal that was mortal wound3ed but flopping all over the place when the individuals i was hunting with took a bad shot. (265 yds) bullet went right where i wanted it. on the range with 168 bthp it does very nice (around .75 inch at 100)

Love my SPS .308 Tactical. Topped with Bushnell 3200 Elite it's a great manageable package. This year 4 deer 4 shots, one at 200 yards with 165 JHP Sierras. Easily sub 1 moa out to 500 yards which is the longest range I have access to.

I too feel that most of the guns on the hide are too specialized and heavy (and expensive) to be real practical for the average guy. This rifle is a perfect all around gun as issued. Get one while you still can.

Sherlok

well thanks for the replies, this was my first post and seemed to go pretty good, gf is going to get me the sps tactical for my bday in july so i cant wait, 165grains seem to be the popular bullet for the .308 i was going to try the 150gr hornady sst's with the heavy magnums i can get right at 3000fps with them and they do awesome on deer, anyone shooting a 150gr bullet?

I like starting with the 26" and have it cut to your exact preference, like an SPS-V or P. Some bullets may appreciate the extra velocity, like the Barnes. Also less blast the longer you go. It may end up less expensive to boot: my smith charges only $30 to cut and crown, and the 20" versions are more expensive in my town. your gf rocks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chris Snow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pick up a used LTR stock and drop your rifle into it. </div></div>

Are these for sale that often? I don't see them, maybe not looking in the right places. Also, how much lighter is the LTR stock? or is it just more rigid.

Wouldn't mind finding a used LTR with high round count to re-barrel to 6.5x47.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rackchaser71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">gf is going to get me the sps tactical for my bday in july so i cant wait</div></div>

See if you can convince your gf that you should get the rifle now so you can use it. Promise to put it back in box so she can wrap it for you to open on your b-day
grin.gif

I like Carbineros idea about getting a SPS Varmint and cutting it down and adding your favorite stock. You can get them at Dicks cheap. I had a SPS T and think it would be good for a stand hunting gun but not for carrying far or stalking.If I could only own one centerfire rifle, it might be that SPS-T! I kinda like it.

SPS tacts are pretty nice and the ones I had and shot were actually pretty accurate. You might also look into the FN PBR or whatever. I got one 20" fluted barreled action and then got a pillar bedded stock from CDNN and that thing was a hammer. I had about 500 in the rifle.