• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 700 trigger pins bending repeatedly

stillbuster

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 14, 2008
Tupelo, MS
This is on a friends rifle. Yes he works the bolt a little harder than needed but he is bending the rear trigger pin every 40-50 rounds. It seems that the trigger pin hole on the left side of the action is a little loose, this action is well used.
Looking for suggestions on a "fix"?
I am thinking of doing a very slight peen on the edge of the hole.
Anyone else run into this?

Re: 700 trigger pins bending repeatedly

WOW! He must be rally hammering that bolt!

The pins should (if lightly lubed) slip into place w/o a hammer, but there shouldn't be any wiggle in the hole. Peening slightly might work OK, but be very careful and recheck the trigger for safety. Sometimes moving things a couple thousandths is all it takes.

You can use hardened 1/8" drill rod to make a tougher pin, but that can create it's own issues. If it's harder than the reciever, and he's hitting it hard enough, That hole will enlarge for sure.

The harder pins will crack. I had a local PD, that I built rifles for, that trained their guys to "Rack the Bolt Smartly". This resulted in bent pins and locked up triggers.
Re training was the answer. A Rem, with a spring loaded ejector, does not have to be "Racked Smartly"

I wouldn't have thought one could bend a trigger pin, given the short span the between support plates. If jacking the bolt that hard is doing it, some remedial instruction is in order.
Kind of reminds me of the UPS Gorillas, seems they can damage a solid piece of steel, w/o even grunting.