• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

716i Tread, scope mounts for a Burris 2-10x42 XTR-II 34mm

Kinzua

Private
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2023
Oregon
I'm new on the Hide, but am a longtime reader. I own two new 716i Treads that need optics mounts. Right now my LGS (plural) don't seem to have much stock for the usual Lego-style scope mount trial fit at the gun counter. To be honest, AR's are not my normal thing and I'm a fish out of water.

Set-up #1: Sig 716i Tread wearing a Burris XTR-II, 2-10x42, 34mm. This set-up's operating environment is any range suitable for 7.62, but 99% under 500 meters. My question for the Hide: I need a scope mount recommendation and a Holosun micro-dot mount suggestion as an aux sight.

Set-up #2: Sig 716i Tread wearing an LPVO that has yet to be selected, but no doubt it will be a straight 30MM tube, probably the Vortex 1-6 PST. This set-up's operating range is 99% under 300 meters (hence SFP), but set-up #2 can still reach out at ring steel at longer distances. My question for the Hide: As above, I need a scope mount recommendation and I'm torn on the aux sight set up. I'll probably either use 45-degree offset irons, or the same Holosun micro dot as on set-up #1. Yeah, I know. The SFP scope already is essentially a red dot at 1x, but all of my set-ups have back-up sights. I live in coastal rain forest with dense (light blocking) canopy and thick understory. In low light, reflex sights are superior to irons, even if redundant to the SFP scope's own red dot, but steel sights are tough and impervious to events that make the lights go out. I suppose I can just lay back some Magpul BUIS in the gun safe as insurance.

I need help with AR mounts specific to my particular optics reflecting anything quirky to the 716i platform, if that is the case. Among things I don't understand is why cantilever mounts are sometimes desirable.

These two 716i's also need one more thing that I'll post here, but may put into a separate thread later. The butt plate is uninspiring for 7.62. It should be both longer and wider, and it should have a Limbsaver pad. Thicker is better. Any suggestion for a furniture upgrade along these exact needs would be helpful IF you are in the know.

Kinzua
Christian, husband of the same gal I married decades ago, father, life-long hunter, NRA Life member and GOA financial supporter

Right or wrong, I went with Leupold, for my Burris 34mm and red dot offset.

Pictures aren’t working, but I’ll try to post them later.

Thanks, Nikerret. Do you know the scope mount height necessary to clear the 42mm objective without becoming too high? That is the central puzzle for me. How did you handle the offset? Just separate offset mounts off the main pic rail?

I've never had a Leupold mount give me problems even on very high capacity cartridges, although once I had a Burris ring snap. Back in the day it was the difference between forged steel (Leupold) and cast (Burris), which gave up after less than 50 rounds on a 30-06 class cartridge.

22C11B99-2743-4471-9E52-5A4A606CE4DE.jpeg

7BACB4F5-6B51-41FA-8632-693533E5275B.png

D0FF7EE4-7C3E-4D4D-8481-B115FC029B09.jpeg

Here are the specs on the scope mount:

Mine has a leupold mount as well works fine. You can add an offset dot if you need it. It did have a qd mount and a higher powered optic but I prefer it this way. The folding irons will be junked for something offset pretty soon.

sig 716i.JPG

You can get a magpul MOE or CTR stock and add the limbsaver they make for it:

Last edited:
Right handed, left eye dominant. I shoot handguns right handed and shoot long guns left handed (primarily).

I tie my shoe laces right over left. Or is it left over right? With that combo you face, combined with my talent, I'd have to throw spears.

Mine has a leupold mount as well works fine. You can add an offset dot if you need it. It did have a qd mount and a higher powered optic but I prefer it this way. The folding irons will be junked for something offset pretty soon.

View attachment 8164785

You can get a magpul MOE or CTR stock and add the limbsaver they make for it:

I'm kind of with you on your scope choice. I have some doubts about the boat anchor aspect of Burris XTR-II that I'm going to initially stick on top to see if I care much about 7x-10x on that rifle. Maybe later I'll drop back to a 1-6 SFP scope. As a personal thing, In my world I don't have much use for FFP until range exceeds something over 400 meters at about which point I am starting to wish I had more than 6x, even though it'll do for my targets just fine. For that reason there is some appeal to a lever mount rather than hex bolts. I can conveniently have two scopes as long as return to zero is dead nuts repeatable. I'll bet 96% of the time the LVPO would ride the rifle just because.

I would shoot them both from a good rest and whichever one groups the best I'd put the higher powered scope and better trigger in it. The other one get a red dot and leave it alone. In the past all my rifles had qd mounts but with the offset sight thing super common and easy to do there's no point imho.