• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mag help

breatheandsqueeze

Fast, Cheap, and Easy
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
NM
I have a new Remington 7mm mag that has me scratching my head!
I traded for it 6-8 months ago when brass or factory ammo was not to be found.
Scrounging around I found some once fired RP and FC brass and sized,trimmed everything back to factory dimensions.
Reloaded 168 grain noslers with a mild load of Retumbo and off to the range.
Shot a couple of rounds sighting it in with no problems.................
Then a case stuck in the chamber??? Bolt lift was normal but it would not move to the rear and eject the spent shell.
I had a rubber handled screwdriver with me and tapped the bolt handle back and it ejected normally
Case was absolutely normal with no signs of primer flattening, ejector marks or craters.
Went back to the bench and loaded 10 more one grain less and tried them today.
Same thing.......seems like every 2nd, 3, 4th case will stick in chamber and I have to tap it out.
Have not tried any factory ammo yet but now have 50 new Hornady cases to try.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
John

Was it just the one type of brass or both? That might help to determine the problem. Also was all the brass fired from the same rifle for the once fire or don’t you know. I can tell you I have had problems with buying once fired brass my tight chambered 300 win hates it. I even bought small base dies and still had problems. I’m not sure if your rifle is stock or not but mine isn’t . Wish I could be more help.

Reactions: FuhQ
The bras is a mixture of range fired so no it was not all fired from the same rifle.
The rifle is a stock Rem 700. I am going to check neck thickness today to see if
there is a common issuue with thicker necks.
Might just dump the brass and go with the new brass and see if the issue persists.
Thank you

First things first, dump that brass, and get some brand new, and try that.

If the problem persists, then look to having the chamber polished. A simple polish job with a power drill, some 0000 steel wool, and some cutting lube will do wonders for helping primary extraction and smooth feeding. You can YouTube how to do it at home inexpensive and easily. 👍🏼

If the problem still persists, have a smith pull the barrel and inspect the chamber. If he says replace it, I’d have him true everything & replace the barrel with a nice Bartlein or Proof Research blank. Your end result will be worth it.

I know my issue was more at the base than the neck. I would try new brass.

I had this exact same problem with a new 7mm R700 a few years ago. I sent it in to Remington and they fixed it, although they didn't say how. -- I assume they polished the chamber. I know they did not replace the barrel.
The problem occurred with both factory Federal and my Hornady brass reloads. If you decide to send it in -- not sure if that's even a thing after the company changed hands -- don't mention anything about reloads. They told me reloads void your warranty.

Trying new brass would be ideal to eliminate that as a cause. If you want to use used brass, I recommend a small base sizer to get it back to original as possible. I mostly shoot 243 Win, 6.5 CM and .308 Win and I just small base size all of it. I get no noticeable decline in accuracy and the brass last just as long for me. They're all field rifles so function is my main reason for small base sizing.

I have 20 loaded with the old brass so Im going to pull them to save the powder and bullets and start over with the new Hornady brass.
Seems to be the easiest and surest way to find out if something is going on in the chamber.
Soon as possible I want to pick up a box of factory loaded ammo to test also.
Dont know as I have ever seen small base dies made for a 7mm mag since they have the belted case and all.
Guess I could also send a new fired case to Whittington and have them make one??
Thanks all for the replies.
John

Yes sir Rcbs for sure makes them. I have a set of small base dies for 300win mag.

Sharpy one of the problem cases and see where it's hanging up. My guess would be just above the belt (in which case a lee collet die would help). Curious to see what you find.

Your problem is probably just above the belt where your sizing die doest size it. Some of the brass was probably shot in chamber that was larger than yours in this area. There is a die called the Larry willis Collet die. It is designed to size these kind of cases just above the belt.

Update
I loaded new Hornady brass with the same charge as before and guess what???
Fired 20 rounds with NO extraction issues!!!
Lessons learned ----
From now on I WILL ONLY USE VIRGIN BRASS or factory brass that has been fired in my chamber.
Anyone need some "once or twice fired" 7mm mixed brass?
Thanks everyone for the ideas and suggestions.
Regards,
John

Reactions: SupressYourself
That's good, but I have a feeling when that new brass becomes once fired, you may have problems again. I would try to give the chamber a polish as others suggested.