• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm-08 Rem 700 build is complete (photo heavy)

mdmorrow

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 31, 2013
McKinney, TX
Well a few months back after doing some trading and swapping I wound up with most of the parts to put together a custom rifle.

Here's the specs and the parts:

Rem 700 SA
Rem BDL bottom metal
HS Precision Sendero/Varmint stock
Bartlein 7mm 1-9 5R twist Sendero/Rem Varmint contour
Rifle Basix trigger set at 30 oz
Larue 20 MOA base
Seekins 4/6 low rings
SWFA SS 3-15 Scope
Seekins SRS bipod mount (on backorder)
Atlas V8 Bipod w/ Larue QD mount (not pictured)
Triad Tactical stock pack

First the parts were sent of to Robert Snyder of RW Snyder Gunsmithing in Iowa. He's a really well known smith and gave me a great deal. He originally quoted me 10 weeks but I had it back in a little more that 7. Dang good service and will definitely use him again. Here's what all he did and some pics afterwards:

Blueprinted the action and bolt
Upgraded the recoil lug to custom one that he makes
Cut the barrel to 24" mounted and crowned

While the rifle was away, I painted the stock myself:

Gray Kyrlon w/ black webbing spray. I did the one for my win mag at the same time in tan.

Next, it went to Marty at Twisted Barrel LLC in Wyoming for some fluting work. He was also fantastic and did a really fast turnaround. His work is top notch and he uses a CNC machine. Here's what he did along with some pics:

Spiral fluted the barrel
Milled the reciever
Spiral fluted the bolt
Threaded the bolt knob and installed a badger knob
(he also did a knob for my 5R win mag as well)

Next I took the barreled action to Christian at Scalpel Arms here in Dallas for cerakote. Here's the barreled action afterwards:

Color is Desert Verde, it's not nearly as green as it looks in the pictures.

Lastly, I bedded and mounted the base, lapped the rings and put it all together. Here's the finished product:

Haven't had it out yet but I'll throw up a range report once I do. Overall, I'm very pleased with everything and would highly recommend RWS, Twisted Barrel or Scapel Arms.

Indeed, looks pretty sharp, can't wait to see how it shoots. Got any loads figured out yet?

Indeed, looks pretty sharp, can't wait to see how it shoots. Got any loads figured out yet?

Me too! I'm not really sure yet. I'm just now getting into reloading so for now I'm going to shoot the 139 hornady superperformance to start with. Once I get my reloading stuff situated I should be able to fine tune it. I'd be surprised if it wasn't a great shooter. All the work was excellent. Robert does a good job.

Me too! I'm not really sure yet. I'm just now getting into reloading so for now I'm going to shoot the 139 hornady superperformance to start with. Once I get my reloading stuff situated I should be able to fine tune it. I'd be surprised if it wasn't a great shooter. All the work was excellent. Robert does a good job.
I dont know about Superformance but RE15 or varget(40.5-41grs works really well with 139s.

Nice looking rifle you got there and a great cartridge. Should be very pleasant to shoot.

Congrats! I loves me a 708 for "all purpose" badassery.

Keep your eyes peeled for:

H4350, 162amax and 162 hornady bthp match.

Those will take you to 1000 real nice.

Nice rig. How close to the muzzle do the flutes end? I've always been told 1-1/2". Yours look closer...but it looks great!

Thanks guys. I believe there's about an inch between the end of the flutes and the muzzle. Maybe just a hair more.

Now why don't you come over so we can test this rifle our. I can give you some tester ammo that will shoot bugholes.

You have built the rilfe I have been thinking about bulding for about a year now and now I really want to build it. This forum is not easy on my wallet

That's a really nice project, and about as personalized as they come. Making me think about milling the receiver on a 700 for an upcoming build.

Now why don't you come over so we can test this rifle our. I can give you some tester ammo that will shoot bugholes.

Sounds like a plan Drew. Give me a shout later this week and we'll get together.

You have built the rilfe I have been thinking about bulding for about a year now and now I really want to build it. This forum is not easy on my wallet

That's definitely a true statement!

That's a really nice project, and about as personalized as they come. Making me think about milling the receiver on a 700 for an upcoming build.

Check out Twisted Barrel. They have a bunch of pictures on their website. That's who did mine and Marty was a really good guy to work with. They're pretty reasonable on cost as well. I definitely like the looks over the regular 700 profile.

mdmorrow,

Nice looking rifle! I have to ask the purpose though, of milling the offside of the reciever flat?

FWIW, I'm a huge 7mm fan and did my own 'custom' 7mm-08 for long range shooting.

Last edited:
mdmorrow,

Nice looking rifle! I have to ask the purpose though, of milling the offside flat?

It just saves a little bit of weight and looks cool. That's all. You can see it better in these pics:

Also had them stamp the twist on the underside of the barrel at RWS:

Looks cool, man. Robert built my first custom and it hammered. I always thought the 6 screw ring went up front. Shows what I know.

It just saves a little bit of weight and looks cool. That's all. You can see it better in these pics:

Okay, I was wondering if it was a weight saving measure or what? But, "looks Cool" is good enough. As it does look pretty cool.

Part of my interest was how well it kept the action stiff in the event of recoil? That may be a non-issue if it drives tacks on a regular basis.

Good looking stick!

FWIW - Earlier this year I finished a 7mm-08 AI hunting rifle build. Took a 6 point buck @ 207 yards - DRT. My load: 120 grain Nosler BT over 49 grains of CFE223 and BR2 primer. This is .5 under max for standard 7mm-08 and gives me and an average of 3223 FPS.

Good looking stick!

FWIW - Earlier this year I finished a 7mm-08 AI hunting rifle build. Took a 6 point buck @ 207 yards - DRT. My load: 120 grain Nosler BT over 49 grains of CFE223 and BR2 primer. This is .5 under max for standard 7mm-08 and gives me and an average of 3223 FPS.

Thanks for the load tip! I know it's going to be a killer rifle.

Okay, I was wondering if it was a weight saving measure or what? But, "looks Cool" is good enough. As it does look pretty cool.

Part of my interest was how well it kept the action stiff in the event of recoil? That may be a non-issue if it drives tacks on a regular basis.

According to the smith that did it, it shouldn't have any flex issues. Especially since it's not a very high recoil cartridge. Now if it was a magnum, I would probably have left it be just to be safe.

mdmorrow,

Since we are talking loads, I use 45.1 gr. of RE-19 behind either a 175 gr. or 180 gr. bullet. Your 1-9" twist should stabilize a 180 if you push it hard. If not, 168's and 162's do great at long distance as well. I also tried 47.5 gr. of RE-22 and that worked well. However, I got the same velocity from RE-19. Unfortunately, both are temp sensitive. I have worked with H4831 and H1000 too. Not as much velocity out of either one, but very good accuracy. With 168's (Berger and JLK VLD's) I've been using AA4350. Again, great accuracy, but the loss of velocity needs to be accounted for.

I tried RE-17 and it works great in the 140 gr. range and below. It's a little too fast IMO for the upper weight bullets in that case.

I have often had ideas of fluting or milling a Remington. its cool to see someone is doing it. gives me inspiration! that is a really tricked out rifle. I like it. how did you do the webbing on the paint job???

mdmorrow,

Since we are talking loads, I use 45.1 gr. of RE-19 behind either a 175 gr. or 180 gr. bullet. Your 1-9" twist should stabilize a 180 if you push it hard. If not, 168's and 162's do great at long distance as well. I also tried 47.5 gr. of RE-22 and that worked well. However, I got the same velocity from RE-19. Unfortunately, both are temp sensitive. I have worked with H4831 and H1000 too. Not as much velocity out of either one, but very good accuracy. With 168's (Berger and JLK VLD's) I've been using AA4350. Again, great accuracy, but the loss of velocity needs to be accounted for.

I tried RE-17 and it works great in the 140 gr. range and below. It's a little too fast IMO for the upper weight bullets in that case.

Thanks for the load advice, much appreciated!
I have often had ideas of fluting or milling a Remington. its cool to see someone is doing it. gives me inspiration! that is a really tricked out rifle. I like it. how did you do the webbing on the paint job???

Really pretty easy. The stuff is called Krylon Webbing Spray. It's kind of hard to find but Hobby Lobby carries it. Plus you can probably get it online. I used about a quarter of a can to do two stocks. I finished it with several coats of matte clear at the end.

Thanks!