• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 7mm 180 ELDM blow ups.

I have about 250 more 285 ELD to shoot up. Will keep you guys posted if i have anymore issues.

I have about 250 more 285 ELD to shoot up. Will keep you guys posted if i have anymore issues.
My buddy runs them in his 338NM with excellent results but he has a really short barrel and pretty mild speeds.

First one in 600 bullets. New box so maybe the jackets changed idk.

Been watching this thread closely. Slightly off topic but I've been helping a friend do 224 Valkyrie reloading. No problems with the new Redding die set and the RDF's or Bergers, but the 75 gr Amax and the 88 ELM's are all dented to shit with the same seater die. WTF?

My Buddy just got a new box of 285’s.
he had about 10% blow up today!
:(
BC seemed better on the ones that made it to the target though.
I shot 50 of the 285 yesterday w no issues but can’t tell you if it was a older lot or newer lot. I had loaded them over the winter. No issues w the Berger 300 I sent down range.

Been watching this thread closely. Slightly off topic but I've been helping a friend do 224 Valkyrie reloading. No problems with the new Redding die set and the RDF's or Bergers, but the 75 gr Amax and the 88 ELM's are all dented to shit with the same seater die. WTF?
U have the vld seating stem. U may have to much neck tension on the brass

My Buddy just got a new box of 285’s.
he had about 10% blow up today!
:(
BC seemed better on the ones that made it to the target though.
This is unfortunate to hear. When I started with .338 LM, after I decided that I liked 285s, I bought a bunch of HPBT and AMAX. I’ve been using them since and must say that I’ve yet to see evidence of any blow ups. I’ll admit that I’m only sending them at a relatively sedate 2780 FPS and yes, they are pretty old stock, but still...

My buddy made the switch from the 180 blow ups to the 197 smk in 7mm saum and hes never shot so consistent. 2780 speed worth the trade lol i also feel the farther you shoot the eldms the more finky they become fliers and bc goes way down

This is unfortunate to hear. When I started with .338 LM, after I decided that I liked 285s, I bought a bunch of HPBT and AMAX. I’ve been using them since and must say that I’ve yet to see evidence of any blow ups. I’ll admit that I’m only sending them at a relatively sedate 2780 FPS and yes, they are pretty old stock, but still...
That 338NM has a 20” barrel and speeds well below yours.
The 285 eldm’s were fantastic him previously.
I’m curious if the 285HPBT are GTG.

Reactions: lash
I did try the 130 eldm in my 260 yesterday and they did very well at 2975 and the 140’s haven’t given me any issues.

That’s good to hear. I’ve been considering using the 130s in my .260 when I get a new barrel. I’ve been shooting 136 Lapua Scenar Ls for 6-7 years now and they are getting long in the tooth. They are also getting pricier and harder to find. With a very similar BC (slightly higher), the 130s might be a good replacement.

Reactions: Steel head
A9DC9739-227A-4275-8166-3006B941C55C.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BCX and Steel head
Its funny that Hornady has brought new info to ELR shooting. 4 grove vs 5r rifle accuracy at long range. So many barrels have had issues w recent Hornady ELD and A-tips rumor has it.

Its funny that Hornady has brought new info to ELR shooting. 4 grove vs 5r rifle accuracy at long range. So many barrels have had issues w recent Hornady ELD and A-tips rumor has it.
My barrel that was getting a 30-40% pop rate at 1000 rounds With 180 eldm’s even after I substantially dropped speed to 2850 is absolutely hammering now with Berger’s 600 rounds later.

I noticed a substantial improvement in vertical past a mile even though my SD/ES are the same after going to the 190LRHT.

Thursday I hit the gray area in the circled area 3 of 5 shots at 2287 yards.
We were absolutely amazed at the performance at that distance.

You can actually see at least one of the impacts.

Having issues with the 180eldm actually was good for me.
:)
C1B9370C-271F-4851-9318-A7B57ED14A53.jpeg

It seems like with hornady eldm at farther distances you get fliers every now and again. After switching to seirra 197 smk all that went away very consistant. I still run the 225 eldm for now they shoot great no blowups but question them past 1600 yards