• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

7mm build question

matthew314

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2008
Minnesota
I have been using the custom google search for a long time to answer pretty much any shooting related question I have had from this site. Over the past few years I have aquired a savage 223, dpms 308, and reloading supplies all of which were purchased after reading countless posts on this forum, and now I thought it was time to make my 1st post and thank everyone who has unknowingly given me the info I needed to make some very wise and enjoying desicions.

Now down to my question I have decided to swap barrels on the 223 in favor of a more favorable target rifle and also double up as a hunting rifle. I have decided on 7mm short mag but have come to a small problem I can't decide on wether to go with a saum or wsm. I know I want to add a cdi dbm and want reliable feeding. I also will have to deal with cartridge oal issues. From what I have read the saum has the edge over the wsm. I have also read that it may have better barrel life and uses slightly less powder to get roughly the same velocitys as the wsm. My problem is finding brass there isn't much of it out there and only Remington makes it. I don't want to resize 300 saum brass do to the extra time of neck turning I don't get much time to reload anyway even though I enjoy it I would rather shoot, so I was wondering I anyone here uses the saum and what there opinions are. Is brass easy to find? Are the 'more efficient' claims true? I like the idea of having a rare caliber if not just to be different, but I don't know if it's worth the hassle. Thank for any and all advise.

Re: 7mm build question

You are aware of the boltface changes that will be needed?

That is to say that you will need a magnum boltface.

You can buy my Model 7 in 7 SAUM including 150 pieces of completely prepped brass, 100 of which have never been fired. It puts 5 of the 162 Amax's into an inch at 100y. I have 3 loads that shoot very well to go with it.

If you're going to reload and don't want to deal with forming brass from 300 SAUM you're forever going to be snagging bits and pieces of brass.

Personally, I see no difference between sizing it down and loading as opposed to running new brass through the sizing die before the first load, since you should be doing that anyway to clean up the necks.

Also, I don't think you're going to need to ream the necks when going from 300 down to 7mm.

Welcome to your first post.

Yeah that's one of the things I still have to get as well as a shorter baffle to go behind the bolt head. I have been planning this build for a long time and I think I have everything covered accept caliber choice, but thank you for the reply.

Grafs has remington brass in stock for the 7mm saum, and norma brass for the 300 saum.

The SAUM has less capacity, uses Less powder yet still nets about the same velocity as the WSM. The SAUM case is a bit shorter too, so you don't need to set long bullets as far into the case. Norma and Nosler make 300 SAUM brass that can easily be necked down to 7mm. Many long-range shooters have had excellent luck with the SAUM.

I was thinking of buying a used rifle and thank you for the offer, but I bought a barrel nut wrench already and want to try the whole savage switch barrel thing. And that's just what I wanted to hear, because I always resize new brass but didn't know if I would have to ream out or neck turn 300 brass after resizing. If all I have to do is run 300 brass through a 7 FL die then that would help my brass problem alot.

Go 7Saum, neck down Norma 300Saum brass, and get a new kiff bolt if you are set on using your action. As for the bottom metal, look at the Seekins WSM bottom metal, it will give you 3.165" if internal OAL which is more then you will ever need. You can not go wrong with a 7 anything to be honest, but I belive the Saum will give you better barrel life and save you money on powder. Hate ti admit it, but if I had to do it all over again, I think I would have gone SAUM instead of WSM.

I wasn't aware seekins made a dbm for a savage stager feed, and haven't heard of a Kiff bolt head. I will have to do more research thanks for the info guys keep it coming. Also what do you think of benchmark barrels I have talked to the guys in the shop and they seem like a great crew.