• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm Remington Magnum Users

CelticMonster

Private
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2013
Oregon
Good morning everyone. As you can see, I'm a new member and have been lurking around for a while. However, I am also in the process of getting my first custom rifle put together and wanted to hear your thoughts on this caliber. I did months of research before deciding on this caliber (other choice was a .300 Win Mag), and I think I am very happy with my decision. My rifle will be chambered in 7mm Remington Magnum in a stainless trued Remington 700 action, McMillan HTG stock with adjustable cheek rest (70% olive and 30% black), and shooting from a Bartlein #4 Bull Sporter barrel at 26" (all metal components will be cerakoted matte black as well). Stats aside, what do you think of this caliber in terms of it's use, pros/ cons, and your general opinion? Any information would be appreciated, thank you.

Excellent chambering. You made a good choice.

Retumbo, 162 AMAXs, 168, 180 Bergers, Fed 215s are where you want to start.

Been shooting one for years. The 168 Berger at 3750fps is fun.

There will always be a 300/7mm debate. They are very close and both very capable.

Enjoy the build.

Thanks you two. The main purpose of this build is to come as close as possible to a hunting and target build. I think with the stock, mid-weight barrel, and chamber, I will achieve this.

First off, welcome to the Hide, Celt. I am in the process of making a similar decision myself. At first the 300 win mag was my chambering of choice, then I started looking at a 7mm Practical (300 win mag necked town to 7mm.) I am still considering my options, but the 7mm rem mag can get bullets with a better BC than the win mag. You are sacrificing some case capacity though. I may go for a 7mm Rem Ultra Mag, to gain the extra case capacity and lose the belted magnum case. That aside, the 7mm rem mag is a very versatile round. What will you be using it for?

Being in Oregon, I will be using this rifle for deer, elk, boar (if possible), and paper. Essentially big game animals and vicious paper targets. I was really close to going .300 Win Mag as well until Brad at Phoenix Custom Rifles swayed me towards the 7mm Rem Mag for some sound reasons. Lots of gun but not excessively so, great ballistics, cheaper to shoot and reload (obviously less powder needed than the .300 Win Mag), and again just some phenomenal ballistics. If I want a bigger hole down the road, I could always build a .300 Win Mag in a different configuration later. Another $3,000-4,000 later that is.

That's more than enough gun for deer, elk and boar. However, you may need to go to 338 LM for that vicious paper. Best of luck with the new build, and put up a range report when you can.

I love the 7RM, Im not running mine very hot at the moment but here is 3 groups at 500, the dots are 3". 180gr berger vld hunters.

uploadfromtaptalk1390845494624.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I sold my 7 Mag to a buddy and then reloaded for him the next day, used IMR4831 and 154 Hornadys SP with 9 1/2 Rem primers, we took it out the next day and I couldn't believe how accurate my rifle now Ron's rifle is/was, nice little cloverleaf 100yds down yonder. Retumbo & RE22 are good powders to try also.

I'm Running 180gr Sierra Matchkings and retumbo. Nosler Brass. Very accurate. 3000fps. No pressure. 7 mag is wicked. You wont be dissapointed. It bucks the wind like crazy.

I'm definitely excited, more than ready for these parts to come in so I can get the building process started.

if you do not do high volume shooting 7 mag is the answer for the 1 do everything rifle: all hunting, from varmint to big game - capable for F class/ other long range events - decent availability of factory ammo and loading components

also for an AR person it would be a very good answer for 2nd rifle

that being said, I play with 20 different rifle chamberings and as many times as I have considered/ researched 7 mag, I have never owned one

Stats aside, what do you think of this caliber in terms of it's use, pros/ cons, and your general opinion? Any information would be appreciated, thank you.

Short of dangerous game, and some of the VERY big bears, this is enough gun for just about everything else on the planet.

If you want a do it all rifle, 7mag, or 30-06. and don't look back.

I like the 7mm as ammo availability is good, and during the panic it wasn't one of the first sections of the ammo shelf, or bullet shelf to go out of stock.

I'm definitely excited, more than ready for these parts to come in so I can get the building process started.

Hey there fellow 7mmRM noobie! My first 7mmRM build just arrived at the smith for the build part. My goals match yours pretty much, but the breathing game (non-paper) will be exclusively elk. Went with a Remington Varmint Bartlein and AICS chassis.

7rmag

if you want to shoot the 168 and 180 class bullets, make sure your smith is throating it accordingly. Makes it very friendly to the reloader.

Idahoorion

The 168 Berger at 3750fps .....
I hope this was a typo?

Norma cases are the "Cat's Pajamas" for the 7mm RM! The 120 grain V-Max should be explosive on Woodchucks however they are seasonal according to suppliers. I run the 162 grain A-Max for Whitetails and Hogs and it is the "Hammer of Thor"! Recently been switching to the 7mm RSAUM to avoid the belt but still am impressed with the RM.

If you want to avoid the belt, might take a look at .280 but 7RM ammo is a lot easier to find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my 7mm mag, it has killed a lot of critters over the years, it is a phenomenal cartridge. The only time I have ever been worried about burning up a barrel is when you go over 4000fps when you are shooting varmint loads. Nickname for my rifle is meat getter, damn thing has killed a lot of elk from 20 yards out to 400 with no issues. I have a 7mm STW and that thing drops elk like a bolt of lighting from 400 yards out. Great choice is all I have to say!