• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm RM questions

erslll

Private
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2009
Hermiston, OR
I am about to start loading for a new gun in 7mm RM and have a couple of questions. I have been loading for a while now and have loaded a little 300 WM but just for a hunting rifle. In other words, I didn't spend a lot of time trying different things. Found something that shot decent and loaded up 50 rounds (probably still have 35 of those sitting in my safe). Also at the time didn't have the tools to measure headspace, seating depth, etc. Now I have those tools and am ready to try to really tune my load for my new gun.

First question is it seems that most of the loads I find in the reloading depot for 7mm RM say the seat the bullet into the lands. Why is this different for magnums? My 6.5 CM and 308 seem to like a bit of jump as do most others non magnum guns.

Anybody have a load for the 175 ELD-X and RL22 for the 7mm RM? The newest Hornady manual does have some loads for the 175s but they seem very conservative. Max load is listed at 2800 fps which seems a bit slow. I was really hoping that I would be able to get 2900 and maybe 3000. I know, I need to start low and work up which I will do but just curious if anyone has any data.

Jump 40 thousands and increase to fine tune.

New rifle a factory chambered 7 RM or a customer chambered rifle? What is an OAL to touch lands in your chamber with bullet you plan to use?

Length to the ogive with the 175 ELD-X to touch the lands is 2.758. I seated a bullet in a prepped piece of brass as a dummy round to 2.750ish and it looks like I have plenty of room for them to fit in the magazine so I think I will be good there. Gun is a Remington 700 Long Range.

Thanks for the help so far guys. I feel a lot more comfortable about starting with some jump. Still surprised/wondering why there are so many loads in the Reloading Depot that say touching the lands.

Anybody else shooting the 175 ELD-X?

I use 69.2 h1000 with168 Berger classic hunter 26 inch hawk hill barrel Wright at 2950 . The classic hunter are not land sensitive so it's not as important as it is with the vld

I'm loading 180 Berger hybrids with 70 grains of Retumbo, jumping .040". Velocity is 2970 out of my 25" Krieger barrel. Also using Frderal 210m primers, not magnums. Shoots very well out of my gun. Don't be afraid to try some jump.

Ok, lots of guys with good recipes for Bergers. I will keep that in mind. The Hornady's are just a little less expensive and more available to me locally.

Was able to get some loads tested this weekend. So far, it looks like I am a long way from where I want to be. Tried 60.5 gr of Reloader 22 with a .020 jump and am only getting 2709 fps. As I mentioned before, book max is 59.5 gr and supposed to be 2800. I am going to try 62 and 63 gr with a .010 jump next.

180 Hornady ELD
71.9 gr retumbo
3.490"
.020" jump
3100 from 30" barrel at sea level.