• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm WSM or 7mm RSAUM

GB213

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2009
Maryland
I am building a new rig and it will be either a WSM or RSAUM. Right now I am leaning to the 7mm saum. I see alot of you guys liking the WSM, so I wanted to ask. I know I will be about 100ft slower, but I am o.k with that. My barrel is 9 twist finished at least 25". I would like to be shooting 180 vld or 175 smks. Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.

Re: 7mm WSM or 7mm RSAUM

I would go with the WSM, simply because it will be easier to find both loaded ammo and brass for in the future. I doubt the Remington version will be available much longer, as it is not very popular. The WSM, on the other hand, has a very good following.

While the SAUM is a good cartridge of its own right, I would be concerned about its staying power. On the other hand, it appears the WSMs will be a going concern for quite some time.

Oh wow! I think this one has been around before, but I'll throw my 2 cents in.
I have a 7WSM with 1 in 9 twist built by GAP on a Lawton action. IMHO the 7 WSM is the only way to go. The brass is built like a tank and can take just about anything you can dish it. I will not publish my load here but will say my chrono shows almost 3K velocity with the 180 Berger. With a 100 yd zero, I only come up 2 MOA for 300 yds. That's pretty flat! My gun has punched out some amazing groups too.
I agree with Jason280 on the brass issue. Not sure SAUM will be supported by Remington.

Yeah I read it, that article has been an influence in my decision. I am not worried about ammo or brass being around, because I reload everything. Is there anybody that has owned and worked with both?

My son has a 7mmsaum built by Roscoe, has shot a 5 rd./ 6" group a 1 mile with 180vld's.. Great weapon. If ya reload go with the saum.

I vote saum, my buddy had one that was pushing the 162 amax at 3200fps and it wasn't even the book max. it is a shorter more efficient casing. I just bought a 700 sa 7mm saum hunting rifle last month but haven't had time to reload for it yet. the saum will give you more room to seat the bullet out farther and will give you very similar velocities with less powder.

the saum will only die if we let it, keep buying the brass and they will keep making it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I vote saum, my buddy had one that was pushing the 162 amax at 3200fps and it wasn't even the book max. it is a shorter more efficient casing. I just bought a 700 sa 7mm saum hunting rifle last month but haven't had time to reload for it yet. the saum will give you more room to seat the bullet out farther and will give you very similar velocities with less powder.

the saum will only die if we let it, keep buying the brass and they will keep making it. </div></div>

Ya but what do you know?
wink.gif

7wsm better brass, plenty of barrel life, and you don't need a 28" barrel to get good velocity.

I use 65gr of RL22 with 162 A-Max at 3.118" OAL and am getting amazing accuracy. Only 2.6 mils to 600 yards!

Oh and its a straight up 7WSM.

I have a 7 SAUM and I have a couple questions for guys that think the WSM is the better round.

1) The neck length on the WSM is a tad short so a lot of people that are reloaders are going to a 7mm/300 WSM to get a longer neck. This helps accuracy and barrel life, so why is a 7 WSM the route to go if the people who've run these rounds through multiple barrels stop shooting it and start wildcatting on it for improvements?

2) The SAUM has a lower case capacity by about 8gr of water from the cases that I measured, so we know that it will not have the velocity the WSM does, but it does have a nice long neck on it and barrel life is better. The 7/300 is a pretty close average in capacity and velocity between the SAUM and the WSM, but the SAUM retains the important accuracy feature the baseline WSM does not.

3) WSM brass and SAUM brass is from the same parent case, the 404 Jeffreys, and it doesn't take much work to turn WSM cases into SAUM cases.

4) How is the brass any better for WSM vs. SAUM given #3 and the fact that it's the same heavy walled construction from the 404 case? All of it needs to be annealed every few rounds anyway so that the neck tension doesn't go all over the place.

I bought my 7 SAUM with the plan of reaming it up to a 7/300 WSM until I worked up a load for the SAUM and compared the ballistics, barrel life, and other considerations given here. I elected to stay with the SAUM for reasons 1-3, even if it happens to go the way of the Buffalo and the WSM lives on, you can still make brass and have a more balanced cartridge.

I have teh WSM, and would strongly consider the SAUM for a future build for some of the resaons set out by bohem:

I can tell you this from shooting next to a 7 SAUM in cometition with my 7WSM. They shoot the BErger 180s to the same velocities (in fact teh 7SAUM was running faster than my 7WSM..I ran my 7WSM at 2,940 fps).

The shoulder angle on the SAUM makes it easier to load from a magazine if you are so inclined.

The length of the neck allows you to fully get teh Berger 180 out of the case for purposes of maximiziing case capacity. DO NOT try this in a short action, as it will not mag feed into a short AI MAg if you seat the 180 BErger with the bottom of the bearing surface to the neck shoulder junction. It will be too long to fit in magazine. Like the 7WSM, I believe the long action is much better suited to this chambering if you really want to run it out of a magazine.

the ONLY down side to the SAUM that i know of ....is that it is no longer supported by Remington, and brass WILL BE VERY HARD TO FIND IN A FEW YEARS...

If you go SAUM, you better load up and I mean load up on brass now...2,000 3,000 cases. Because they will be the sticking point in keeping your rig running down the road.

JeffVN

Jeff, magazine length in a SA is no longer an issue for the WSM. The seekins WSM DM has 3.165" of internal OAL, which is plenty to seat out the 180 bergers.

I vote start with the saum if you don't like it ream it out to 7wsm you will already have the right primers, bullets and powder so you have to buy alittle brass and new dies not a big deal. something to consider.

I chose the 7 Saum, and it is simply a fantastic cartridge. Loaded with the 180 VLD
my powder charge is 59 grains of 7828. Fearsome accuracy at 1K and beyond.

i had a saum , loved it. had great acc and velcity with every sane powder/bullet combo tried.wouldnt give a thought to the wsm.

I run a 7mmSAUM with a 24" tube and the 162 amax, Have had up to 3150 fps with RL 17 but have backed it of to 3080fps for brass/ barrel life.
The Saum is efficent easy feed round and a mates 7mm WSM only has 80fps over it for an extra 2.5gr of the same powder....Or for the same speed I use 1.5gr of powder less
wink.gif

Better barrel life in the SAUM and yeah the Norma 300SAUM brass is good
smile.gif

But for me it was mostly a mag length issue as its my light hunting rig...A moded model Seven Custom KS