• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

8.6 Blackout

treillw

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2017
Just came across the 8.6 blackout. Seems quite cool.

The fix is a nice rifle too, but the price tag is a little salty. Especially with you add in a can and tax stamps.

Any cheaper ways to get a similar package?

Hard for me to justify that much money on a rifle that is just for fun.

Any real world experience with this cartridge yet? Seems like it's brand new and hasn't been released yet from what I've read.

Thanks!

How long is the tax stamp wait for a sbr? Same as a can?

Good cans to pair with the 8.6?

It’s been out for a little while, although rifle options have been very limited and manufacturer support from ammo/component very limited.

I’m still not convinced it doesn’t do anything 308 does other than putting a lot more energy on target, if energy is what you need then it makes sense otherwise your just paying more for projectiles.

Unless you are definitely going to run subsonics it’s not worth the hassle IMO, even then it seems like there aren’t the subsonic projectile options that were “promised” from manufacturers. Whereas you can right now get 200gr+ 30cal projectiles.

Here's the previous reference thread on this topic:

So good, I'm surprised it's not a sticky.

Reactions: treillw

Wow, what a trainwreck.

The fact that they totally hyped it and nothing is available tells me it's not the magic bullet they thought it was.

I read/speed read through all of that hoping to get some useful information. 😐

I read/speed read through all of that hoping to get some useful information. 😐

I did some math on the overhyped claim of massive rotational energy. That was pretty cool. But otherwise, it was mostly a waste of time.

It’s been out for a little while, although rifle options have been very limited and manufacturer support from ammo/component very limited.

I’m still not convinced it doesn’t do anything 308 does other than putting a lot more energy on target, if energy is what you need then it makes sense otherwise your just paying more for projectiles.

Unless you are definitely going to run subsonics it’s not worth the hassle IMO, even then it seems like there aren’t the subsonic projectile options that were “promised” from manufacturers. Whereas you can right now get 200gr+ 30cal projectiles.
It doesn’t put more energy out than 308. It’s the opposite…but in subsonic vs subsonic form it beats the 308 but not in supersonic form...not even close.

There’s 350gr Maker Rex subsonic expanders available. I load them for resale.

Attachments

• 640E2E8E-68D7-4C64-B7E5-5180E9C50944.jpeg
    640E2E8E-68D7-4C64-B7E5-5180E9C50944.jpeg
    867.9 KB · Views: 101
Just came across the 8.6 blackout. Seems quite cool.

The fix is a nice rifle too, but the price tag is a little salty. Especially with you add in a can and tax stamps.

Any cheaper ways to get a similar package?

Hard for me to justify that much money on a rifle that is just for fun.

Any real world experience with this cartridge yet? Seems like it's brand new and hasn't been released yet from what I've read.

Thanks!
Yes, there are several great options. You can do a Remington 700 with a Remage and keep the price down quite a bit. I manufacture the ammo for resale and it’s earned a like spot in my heart for suppressed hunting. I have one customer that’s successfully harvested elk with his. I even built a custom Sig Cross in 8.6 and it’s a success…cycles and feeds without issue.

Attachments

• IMG_5172.jpeg
    IMG_5172.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_5185.jpeg
    IMG_5185.jpeg
    640.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_5186.jpeg
    IMG_5186.jpeg
    589 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_5191.jpeg
    IMG_5191.jpeg
    632.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_5363.jpeg
    IMG_5363.jpeg
    717 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_5585.jpeg
    IMG_5585.jpeg
    630.2 KB · Views: 91
What twist rate is needed for the 350g maker bullets your loading with a 16” Barrel

Big thing right now would be the barrels. Hardly anyone is making a fast twist 338 barrel blank.

Big thing right now would be the barrels. Hardly anyone is making a fast twist 338 barrel blank.
Actually, Mos-Tek is making them. In 1:3, 1.6.5, and pretty much almost any platform from BigHorn’s to Sig Crosses to Impact 737’s, savage small shanks, and even standard shouldered Remington 700’s. I will tell you the 1:3 is more of a marketing hype, and the one thing I have come to realize with that fast a twist is if you sling the Maker 350gr Rex passed 1060 fps the bullets will open before they exit the barrel.

Attachments

• IMG_7277.jpeg
    IMG_7277.jpeg
    247.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7285.jpeg
    IMG_7285.jpeg
    259.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

There are 350gr Maker Rex expanding subsonics, 285gr Controlled Fracturing bullets and I believe one other one if you're wanting a hunting subsonic bullet that will expand in the lower velocity range. The 350gr M-Rex being the best option.

Attachments

• 2FC62E5E-40DC-4A61-90EB-1F8D56FEE627.jpeg
    2FC62E5E-40DC-4A61-90EB-1F8D56FEE627.jpeg
    700.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4270_Original.jpeg
    IMG_4270_Original.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 53