• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

$8000ish is the budget.

Re: $8000ish is the budget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Five questions that would really help you answer your one question.

When you go out with your buds...

1. What rifle(s) do you own and like to shoot?
2. What range(s) do you actually shoot and do you bench it?
3. What is your favorite style of rifle?
4. Do you hunt?
5. Do you reload or do you buy ammo?

and lastly...

6. How many rounds do you see yourself shooting yearly?

Thanks, Rollin' </div></div>

1. The guns that I now have and like to shoot are a Glock 19, Benelli M4, Savage Mark2, AR15, and an AK47.

2. I shoot pistol at no more than 25 yards, the .22 Savage I shoot out to 100 yards depending on wind conditions, and I take the AR15/AK47 out to several hundred yards.

3. My favorite gun for shooting at 50 to about 300 yards would have to be the AR15 as it is pretty much hits the target if I do my part. Second favorite would have to be the Savage, it's about a 1moa gun, but the problem is that wind can really mess it up here.

4. I do not hunt.... yet. Maybe one day when I have more time.

5. I buy ammo, but save brass to reload one day. I don't feel like I should start reloading until I get several thousand brass cases saved up.

edit...

6. Out of all my guns, I shoot several thousand rounds a year. Usually I just go shooting once every 2 weeks. I'll typically shoot 150 rounds through the G19, then shoot 50ish rounds through the Savage or I'll just shoot 3-4 mags of AK47 or AR15. Other times I'll go shoot skeet/trap with my buddies.

go with the 308 of custom bolt judging by what you just said. You can always by new brass and start reloading. It sounds like you dont have the range to use a 50, at 100 yds thats a complete waste of time, money, and powder. Spend your money on a good custom build and optics, put the rest towards ammo and a reloading setup

Honest, useful answers, much appreciated.

What follows is one man's opinion, nothing more. All meant in good spirit.

I have great news for you.

- Your done with the .50
- Your done with anything chambering a difficult to find round.
- Your done with a super custom rifle.
- Your about to buy a superb semi custom bolt rifle.
- Your about to buy a world class scope.
- Your about to buy a brilliant suppressor set.
- Your about to buy excellent ammo.
- Your about to actually own a rifle that will shoot better than you will for quite a time to come.
- Your about to pocket thousands of dollars.

Why do I say this? Because the vast majority of rifles you see here at the Hide are "Purpose Built" rifles for those that actually require/demand/are responsible for extreme accuracy under the harshest of conditions. For the most part, these rifles are worked hard and those that shoot them are held accountable for the accuracy they get out of them. As a result, this is their full time "occupation" and they have a requirement set that you simple do not need to have...and for you, that is good news.

I would start by doing alot of reading and asking alot of questions. When you asked your first question, you did not mention a "brand" (scope you did..rifle nope, suppressor nope), that told me alot, all of it positive.

I would say to you, do the work, get excited, and then come on back and ask the same question, but when your ready to support YOUR complete solution. You will find no better place to have people comment on that which you understand well enough to "argue" for.

96C's detailed scope specs are a great place to start to appreciate how detail is required to spend 8k properly.
8k is a HUGE amount of money to not get in exactly right....what I call the "buy one and be done" kind of right.
Your a lucky guy, enjoy the ride.

Custom build $3500-$4000
SF suppressor $1800
NF F1 Scope $2300

------------------

$7600 - $8100 DONE!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Honest, useful answers, much appreciated.

What follows is one man's opinion, nothing more. All meant in good spirit.

I have great news for you.

- Your done with the .50
- Your done with anything chambering a difficult to find round.
- Your done with a super custom rifle.
- Your about to buy a superb semi custom bolt rifle.
- Your about to buy a world class scope.
- Your about to buy a brilliant suppressor set.
- Your about to buy excellent ammo.
- Your about to actually own a rifle that will shoot better than you will for quite a time to come.
- Your about to pocket thousands of dollars.

Why do I say this? Because the vast majority of rifles you see here at the Hide are "Purpose Built" rifles for those that actually require/demand/are responsible for extreme accuracy under the harshest of conditions. For the most part, these rifles are worked hard and those that shoot them are held accountable for the accuracy they get out of them. As a result, this is their full time "occupation" and they have a requirement set that you simple do not need to have...and for you, that is good news.

I would start by doing alot of reading and asking alot of questions. When you asked your first question, you did not mention a "brand" (scope you did..rifle nope, suppressor nope), that told me alot, all of it positive.

I would say to you, do the work, get excited, and then come on back and ask the same question, but when your ready to support YOUR complete solution. You will find no better place to have people comment on that which you understand well enough to "argue" for.

96C's detailed scope specs are a great place to start to appreciate how detail is required to spend 8k properly.
8k is a HUGE amount of money to not get in exactly right....what I call the "buy one and be done" kind of right.
Your a lucky guy, enjoy the ride.

</div></div>

Thanks for your honest answer. The reason I was going for a high end custom rifle is because I will have the money for it, and because everybody seems to preach buy once, cry once to me.

I suppose I am done with the .50 then, unless I can scrounge up a couple grand more for both. I have far more than 100 yards to shoot. I can pretty much shoot as far as I want. (Yes, over 1400 yards)

Whenever I have time one of these summers, I plan on taking a class at Badlands here in Oklahoma.

I still got plenty of time to mull it all over, but really appreciate the honesty.

I have a Barrett and a Anzio Ironworks both in 50BMG,along with 10 tactical rifles from 223 to 338 Lapua. If I could do it over again I'd be just fine without a 50. I'm a big time reloader and the 50 is expensive as hell to shoot. One full mag is $50 plus just to shoot. Having a rifle thats 25+lbs is a real chore just to get to the range to have fun with. They do have a cool factor, but unless you can use them as they were intended it's not to practical. Also resale value realy isnt there. You really narrow the resale market if you want to get rid of one.
If you just have to get a 50 forget the 82 and buy a single shot, there more accurate and just as much fun to shoot.

Sure you can buy a single shot 50 and gain alot on accuracy and save some money, but your are still going to want to get a Barrett. Besides the Barrett feels like a feather compaired to settng up a M2HB.

my308s001.jpg

Call Preston over at Surgeon Rifles and order one of these...this is one of the first ones built there and it is the most accurate rifle I own. After 3000 rounds of 155 scenars at 2950fps it still shoots in the .2s and .3s easily. The bore scope reveals no wear yet.. who knows maybe it wont wear out!

Spend the entire 8gs on it...rifle, scope rings, ammo, rangefinder, go shoot.

Dynamite, again in the best of spirit..

When PGS says "it still shoots in the .2s and .3s easily" do you know what he means? If yes, great!

If not, start here as what PGS says in his response will make much more sense...and following his advise alot easier.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=372323

What you will end up with is a way to avoid the expense of what natural comes from not doing the work.

Rollin'

I would recommend a high end bolt gun as others have and forget about the .50. Then look to reloading. You will make more accurate ammo for a fraction of the cost of FGMM for ex. I would also spend my money at GAP and get a Piece of glass that you can be proud of.

surghammer001.jpg

Here's a sub .2 group(5 shots) shot with that rifle a few weeks back.

Dang PGS your guns shoot great!!!

Dynamite,

Looks like you have plenty of guns for plinking at short and medium range.
Now it's time to set your sites on something with true precision.
Kill 2 birds with one stone and get a high quality custom rifle,caliber and scope combination that will enable hits at Extreme range.

That DT-SRS I think is your answer!

Steve

As far as chambers go..You may also look at 300wm or 300wsm customized of course.

Dang PGS, I thought my .182 was good..(My first group with this rifle.)..But I'm just getting started with my 300WSM custom....Give me time and I might catch you......hahhaha.....Nice shooting and nice stick..
Dynamite: I think if you took a tally or a survey of this thread, the majority are recommending a custom with a more available caliber/ bullet selection/ cheaper to shoot custom built rig ....Start reloading now and you will save a bucket load of cash now. The old thinking was to buy boxes of ammo and then save the brass in order to reload.Now ammo is so astronomical on price that it is in your best interest to start now and order new norma / lapua /*** brass and start saving money as well as shooting a more accurate load...Ammo is way too expensive to buy by the box if you can avoid it..Bite the bullet(pun intended) and get your reloading stuff now. Buy you a sweet custom ....Reload and shoot the piss out of it...You will thank us later with grins on your face and tight group from the custom rig..Just my opinion....SmokeRolls

Dont get me wrong...I love my 308 but when it comes down to it and you want to consistantly shoot long range and for hunting...I would go for a 300...youll be much happier.

acks280ack,

Past 1100 yards anyways.I don't know if there is an exact definition.

2500 yards is starting to get on the other end of extreme.LOL

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should look at the DT SRS. It has a lot to offer. Mine is proving to be very accurate and I dont think it is going to have any problem living up to their accuracy claims.

Unless you just have to have a 50, the 338LM is a very good compromise and is much easier to handle, especially in the SRS. Very compact and handy way to tote a 338LM. You only need one piece of glass for as many calibers as you want. FreedomGunworks is up and running on his custom barrels in any caliber you desire.

To start out, I have the 308 and 338LM conversion. Just set your data card up with the appropriate come ups and you are all set.

An awesome package. Compact bullpup design. Awesome, 60 second (literally) switch barrel setup. And 1/2 moa accurate. Check them out. They are my new favorite rifle.

dtasrs001.jpg
</div></div>

Holy crap, I had never even heard of those before!!! I want one now!!!!!

/hijack

To the OP, 8K... dayum.... I would go with a bolt gun and skip the 50 cal. But then, my reason would be the price of 50 cal ammo... but if your paying 8K for a rifle, I don't think you probly worry about ammo prices :lol:

One more vote for Surgeon!!!!

I bought a 50 thinking about the ban, and the possiblity of not being able to get one. They are extremely fun to shoot, but I like to shoot a lot and feeding a 50 is expensive. Also, they are not portable, and the muzzle blast tends to wear on you if you shoot it a lot. I sold mine and went with a pair of surgeon rifles. One in 338 Lapua, and one in 308. In your case, I think the 308 is the right choice. They are accurate as hell, fun to shoot, and there are plenty of good suppressor available for them. My 308 was painted by GAP and built by Surgeon. Just needs a good scope.

DSCF0080-1.jpg

DSCF0078-1.jpg

338 and 308
DSCF0083-1.jpg

IMG_1510.jpg

This is my GAP Surgeon action .338 Lapua....getting spoiled shooting this one!!