• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

$8000ish is the budget.

Dynamite

Private
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2009
Okieland
About to sell off one of my motorcycles and plan on spending around $8000 on a new setup.

Originally I had planned...
Custom .308 rifle (Roughly $4500)
PH or USO scope (Roughly $2700)
Suppressor (Roughly $1000)

However... I'm not sure if I'm being too paranoid or not... I'm a bit worried about a .50 ban. Should I just get a Barrett 82A1 now for about $7400 and throw on a Nightforce or similar on top, then pick up a custom .308 rifle a couple years down the road?

My original plan had been to go and get the custom .308 setup then get a Barrett some other time, but with the current political situation... I'm not too sure. Can't get both now since I already went out and bought a bunch of other "assault weapons". What should I do? What would you guys do in my shoes?

Re: $8000ish is the budget.

Fill out your profile. For the 50 cal it has alot to do with what state your in. If your in New York get the 50 cal now cause with the amount of liberals here your running out of time.

Will do on the profile.

I live in Oklahoma, very gun friendly, but I was worried about a ban coming on a national level... cough cough... Obama/dems in congress cough cough...

And shooting range isn't a problem, I got a place I can go that lets me shoot for miles in any direction at anything except for the usual stuff. (endangered animals, livestock, etc.)

And thanks for the opinions so far, if you're reading this... please post your thoughts. My friends think I'm crazy for buying up so many guns in the past year, but I figured I could throw a sc on my car any ol time.

I just got a barrett. And love it. But I already have a good .308 that I shoot a good bit more then the .50 will ever be shot. I got it at a price that I can live with, and its always been one of those guns I've always wanted. I will tell you that my choice was between an AI or the barrett, and I was really close on the AI, but the deal came along that I couldn't pass up.

bit more info about yourself?

you profile would be a great place to start.

what are your goals? a .50BMG is not the "go to" rifle (unless you are Later).

the .308 is a great round you could get a AIAW get a second barrel and have a great kit. The SRS is also something to look at in that you could go from a .243 to a .338LM on the same platform.

you need to clarify who you are, your experience, and your goals for a start.

Build a 338 big bear (cheytac parent case) and use the berger 300gr (when they come out) and don't look back!!! I could build you one for a lot less then your $4500 budget and with the money you save you could buy a crap load of ammo! The berger may have a 912bc! (based on Brian Litz prototype testing) enter that into a ballistic computer with a 3400fps muzzle velocity! Pm me if interested. We are waiting on the reamer.

Oh, my apologies.

I've been shooting guns for years, but I usually go shooting with friends (two are military, rest are all just regular okies lol). All are really informal shoots, just between friends, so I've used several different bolt action rifles. We mostly shoot shotguns, handguns, AKs, AR15s, or just plinker .22s. I really liked shooting the Rem 700P in .308. But I have never shot a .50 rifle before, let alone a semiauto one.

If it were me it would a 260 ai but besides that.

Give your money to gap. Either have a custom chamber cut or use a long action to make loading to lands easier.

A manners stock speced just how you want it I would take a gat in cf

badger dbm with lots of mags.

Good scoped and great rings

A supressor and a removable break for the ranges that don't like em.

Versa pod ( stud instAlled by manners)

you should have enough left over for custom dies and lots of componets

I would buy a GAP out of the for sale section for way less than a new one. Put the glass I wanted on it, and spend the rest on ammo and loader. Just what I would do if it were me.

The 308 is going to be a more practical choice for you, and 8k will get you one hell of a stick. It will be a great all around rifle. Very versatile. Hunting, Target shooting, Comps, etc. The 50 cal on the other hand is a whole other story. At 35lbs you will not be wanting to lug it around very much. But on the other hand they do have that "wow" factor.

A man that can drop 8 grand on a rifle usually is not concerned with ammo prices, but having a 50 cal is like shooting a 5 dollar bill out the end of it every time you pull the trigger.

Just my 2 cents

It's really hard to say and honestly you won't be content till you have both.

The Barrett is cool because virtually every non-shooter hears sniper rifle and thinks "ooh Barrett" however most folks who get M82s end up being sorely dissapointed with their accuracy. But they are a hoot and you'll definately be a superstar on the range. Ammo is very expensive, and even if you reload you won't be shooting a whole lot of it.

As a compromise you could consider getting an EDM Windrunner. They're pretty nice .50s and are currently on sale for $6500 and converstion kits are avaliable to drop down to .408CT and .338LM. Of course they aren't terribly cheap calibers to shoot too but it gives you more options than the Barrett.

A .308 precision rig is a lot more practical and will likely bring you a lot more enjoyment. With reloading you can afford to shoot it regularly and with an AW or DTA SRS you have a lot of other calibers you can swap between. Currently Tac-Pro is having a sale on their AI rifles.

I love spending peoples money.

APA, GAP, KMW, R&D, Rosecoe ect rifle for 3k ish
NF< USO, S&B, PH 1.5-3K
Spend the rest on ammo and a training class.

Honestly! I think you could almost afford to get both rifles on the $8000 budget. If you keep an eye on our clasified section there are always great deals on some nice GAP's. Also if your not dead set on the Barret you will find some very nice single shot 50's with in your budget. I own an ultralite 50 cal upper on a DPMS lower with magpul PRS stock and nightforce 5.5-22x56 for around $3900. I am not going to lie to you this thing flat shoots, very accurate, very fun. Only a single shot though. I also just bought a new Remington SPS tac with Nightforce bases and rings and another nightforce scope all for under $3000. I know they aren't the top of the line customs but they both shoot very well. just my .02 Good Luck.

If I had 8 grand to dump on a rifle, I'd be giving GAP a call. Then I'd order a USO and spend the rest on brass, powder and bullets.

That's just me though, there are tons of great rifles out there. Optics are all personal preference once you get to the level of USO, S&B, etc. IMHO

I'd save the .50 for later day.

Do you reload? If not, work that into your budget because you'll be wanting to get set up with some equipment sooner than later.

+1
Pull the trigger one time and you will be hooked. Mine is in the Kalifornia legal more powerful .50DTC.
My son at our favorite shooting spot down at the Mexico border.
DSC05537.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Starvin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's really hard to say and honestly you won't be content till you have both.

The Barrett is cool because virtually every non-shooter hears sniper rifle and thinks "ooh Barrett" however most folks who get M82s end up being sorely dissapointed with their accuracy. But they are a hoot and you'll definately be a superstar on the range. Ammo is very expensive, and even if you reload you won't be shooting a whole lot of it.

As a compromise you could consider getting an EDM Windrunner. They're pretty nice .50s and are currently on sale for $6500 and converstion kits are avaliable to drop down to .408CT and .338LM. Of course they aren't terribly cheap calibers to shoot too but it gives you more options than the Barrett.

A .308 precision rig is a lot more practical and will likely bring you a lot more enjoyment. With reloading you can afford to shoot it regularly and with an AW or DTA SRS you have a lot of other calibers you can swap between. Currently Tac-Pro is having a sale on their AI rifles.</div></div>

If I were you.........

700P, VS, SPS V, MK4 6.5-20x50, MK4 rings and base, aftermarket stock and DM. (upgrade later to different scope and hardware if needed, down the road send it to GA for barrel work, etc). Sell all your take off stuff on GB to give hide members good deals and get you to the "standard" around here.

TRG42, and S&B or USO.

AMMO!

Unless you have lots of money to spend on ammo and the availability of it then I wouldn't even look at the .50. I've seen more bought and sold within the year then were ever kept. How many actually shoot their .50 on a regular basis? When they do how many rounds do they fire?

I have a Barret .416 here now that I'm handling the transfer for a customer. He is not even sure he wants to pick it up after finding out how much it's going to cost him to feed it and he may have me sell it for him.

With that much cash you could get both but I think someone already said that. If you find the .50 is not the way to go then you can always re-sell it later.

IMO you should get a smaller center fire rifle(.260,.243,.308 etc.). Just get a GAP, put some glass on it,get a good reloading setup, and a bunch of components for that caliber. Then spend what ever you have left on a reputable long range shooting clinic/class.

You'll get a lot more out of the learning process, and improving your ability(in the reloading room and on the range) than you will just attaining the rifle.

You should look at the DT SRS. It has a lot to offer. Mine is proving to be very accurate and I dont think it is going to have any problem living up to their accuracy claims.

Unless you just have to have a 50, the 338LM is a very good compromise and is much easier to handle, especially in the SRS. Very compact and handy way to tote a 338LM. You only need one piece of glass for as many calibers as you want. FreedomGunworks is up and running on his custom barrels in any caliber you desire.

To start out, I have the 308 and 338LM conversion. Just set your data card up with the appropriate come ups and you are all set.

An awesome package. Compact bullpup design. Awesome, 60 second (literally) switch barrel setup. And 1/2 moa accurate. Check them out. They are my new favorite rifle.

dtasrs001.jpg

I would vote for the 308 caliber. It's because you can shoot a bunch without mortgaging your house. I have a Barrett M99. Must say that I don't shoot a whole lot just because of ammo cost. Even with reloading, components are not cheap.

Having said that, I would spend your money on any of the following in 308 caliber

1. AIAW/AIAE Mk II
2. GAP
3. Nemesis Mini Windrunner.

They are in no particular order. I have an AIAW and a GAP. They both can out shoot me any day. With the rest of the money, get yourself a top notch scope and spend time at the range enjoying your toys.

Hmm, thanks for all the input guys. Seems like the majority say to go with the custom .308. Guess I'm just being paranoid about .50 bans. Whew.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1
Pull the trigger one time and you will be hooked. Mine is in the Kalifornia legal more powerful .50DTC.
</div></div>

Okay, who do get "more powerful" out of the smaller .DTC the the bigger BMG? There about the same even with the .DTC case being smaller than BMG.
Anyway why ot be a little better with the spending and get yuor high end .308 and a BOHICA Arms 50 BMG? Could have both if you spend right...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dynamite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">About to sell off one of my motorcycles and plan on spending around $8000 on a new setup.

However... I'm not sure if I'm being too paranoid or not... I'm a bit worried about a .50 ban. Should I just get a Barrett 82A1 now for about $7400 and throw on a Nightforce or similar on top, then pick up a custom .308 rifle a couple years down the road?

My original plan had been to go and get the custom .308 setup then get a Barrett some other time, but with the current political situation... I'm not too sure. Can't get both now since I already went out and bought a bunch of other "assault weapons". What should I do? What would you guys do in my shoes?
</div></div>

I just went through this last winter but with $5k of junk sold from closets. It was easy for me, this was a once in a lifetime opportunity that I will ever be able to afford a rifle of this quality. I have wanted a custom built rifle for 40 years but never actually went through with the purchase. I went with GAP Crusader 308 with mods. A few months into the build wait, sold more junk and ordered USO.

I now plan to sell my current 700 and use the coin for an AR10 or M1A or AR15 or Mini 14 or something semi auto, more for fun at longer ranges than the Nylon 22 than anything.

Not a fan a 50BMG for the sole reason no use for me but that is me not anyone else. If I did drop the coin on a 50, it would be to put away for a rainy day in the future and I think this is what you are asking. Some day they will get banned and you want one. I know two that bought 50s right as Obama took over while they were still easy to find, one last time I talked with him has shot his a few times the other of last Wed, has never shot his. But, both guys can afford them and have other rifles. I know of a lady sort of that got the 82 and she shoots it often or did anyway. Me, I have trouble feeding a 308.

Good luck

If it had 8k USD for a rifle... I'd look at

GAP Crusader
- thumbwheel cheek piece / LOP adjustable McMillan A5 stock
- fluted barred
- Surefire Muzzle brake / suppressor adapter
- Surefire QD suppressor

US Optics SN3 Scope
- 3.2-17x Mag
- Mil scale GAP reticle
- EREK 1/10 MIL elevation
- M40 #3 1/10 MIL windage
- 44mm objective
- Type III OD Green anodyzing
- Flip covers / ARD
- USO Rings

ATLAS Bipod + mounting plate for McM A5 stock

Then all you need is a crap load of ammo and range time. That would be THE rifle, in my books.

Good luck with your quest man, DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME... Don't cut any corner or bodge yourself, you'll only have to fork out more cash to do fix it later.

Ok, you guys have me convinced. Gonna go with the custom .308. I guess a couple years down the road I can pick up one of the "heavier" calibers since I don't even know the major benefits/negatives of .338LM vs .50.

Seems like there are a ton of guys here backing GAP. Is it because they can quickly make a quality custom .308? I was doing some research on Tac Ops rifles working beautifully with .308 FGMM (Great for me as I don't reload yet), but a lot of Okies here support the local Surgeon guns. I'm sure all of them are amazing companies, but I'm a little surprised at how many of you guys are suggesting GAP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dynamite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, you guys have me convinced. Gonna go with the custom .308. I guess a couple years down the road I can pick up one of the "heavier" calibers since I don't even know the major benefits/negatives of .338LM vs .50.

Seems like there are a ton of guys here backing GAP. Is it because they can quickly make a quality custom .308? I was doing some research on Tac Ops rifles working beautifully with .308 FGMM (Great for me as I don't reload yet), but a lot of Okies here support the local Surgeon guns. I'm sure all of them are amazing companies, but I'm a little surprised at how many of you guys are suggesting GAP. </div></div>

Those three choices are all going to be shooter, no question about that. Be prepared for a pretty decent wait time, however. Every once and a while GAP has a complete rifle for sale on their web site if you are in a hurry. You may just get lucky and they could have exactly what you are looking for ready to go. If that doesn't work out be prepared for a 6-8 month wait. But trust me, it's well worth it.

Ryan

There are a lot of good smiths out there. GAP just happens to be proven, they are good, period. There are lots of owners out there that can attest to that.

They would be happy to put a Surgeon together for you too.

eta: You most likely do not want a .50 either. They are kind of a novelty, IMHO. Technology has progressed to the point that a 50 cal is no longer king of the hill. There are now much better options out there in that class.

Thanks for the fast replies and honest opinions. I'm in no big hurry to get a custom rifle as I have other great guns to shoot while waiting.

Not trying to start any animosity/fighting but uhh... what's the difference between a Surgeon actioned GAP and a Surgeon rifle? That has always confused me whenever I see a custom build by GAP with a surgeon action. Is it just personal preference or are their subtle differences?

Kind of boils down to what parts you want to use and who you want to build it.

Surgeon builds a good rifle using their action. Terry Cross builds a good rifle using a Surgeon action. George at GAP builds a good rifle using a Surgeon action. I build a good rifle using a Surgeon action. See where this is going?

There are lots of builders out there, and on this forum that build good rifles. Some will cost more and some will cost less. Some will take longer some will be quick.

The main thing is what do you want, when do you want it, and how much do you want to pay?

If you have questions call each builder and get first hand answers this way there is nothing lost in the translation as opposed to getting answers from someone on the boards that has an opinion but has never owned a rifle from a specific builder, or only one builder, or for that matter no builder.

There can be subtle differences but in the big picture they are all pretty much built the same way, one at a time.

Just get a GAP Crusader and an SN-3 of your choice. If I had 8,000 to go towards a new precision rifle it is what I would do.

Don't buy the .50 just because it might get banned. Buy what you'll use.

A GAP .308 with a USO/S&B/PH is really hard to beat. Buy the best the first time and you'll save a lot of time and headaches.

Let us know what you get!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dynamite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">About to sell off one of my motorcycles and plan on spending around $8000 on a new setup.

</div></div>

BTW...I have 4 Surgeons built by 3 different smiths..all 4 are hammers.

GAP is awesome and very popular at SH but know they are just one smith out of MANY great ones around.

Surgeon makes a great stick too.

Cross, Lawton, Borden, R&D, Stiller are just a few names of top builders. Check around before you buy. Also keep in mind the more popular the smith, the longer the wait time. So be prepared to wait 6 months or more for a good build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dynamite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, you guys have me convinced. Gonna go with the custom .308. I guess a couple years down the road I can pick up one of the "heavier" calibers since I don't even know the major benefits/negatives of .338LM vs .50.

Seems like there are a ton of guys here backing GAP. Is it because they can quickly make a quality custom .308? I was doing some research on Tac Ops rifles working beautifully with .308 FGMM (Great for me as I don't reload yet), but a lot of Okies here support the local Surgeon guns. I'm sure all of them are amazing companies, but I'm a little surprised at how many of you guys are suggesting GAP. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Two words.

Barrett Firearms </div></div>

Haha. As much of a hoot as it'd be to shoot one of those... I guess the novelty would wear off after a while. Ammo cost wouldn't be too much of a problem as I don't plan on shooting thousands of rounds a month. (I like to bring 1 or 2 different guns to the range every time)

But I dunno still... Barrett may still be an option.
smile.gif
I may just give Surgeon a call to see if I can tour their facility and see how comfortable one of their rifles would be. (They're right here in Oklahoma)

Only get a full custom package if you are willing to deal with the wait times. I <span style="font-style: italic">think</span> some of the popular ones like GAP and Tac Ops are over a year. I'd personally grab a surgeon, McMillan stock, US-SN3, surgeon bottom metal, badger rings, and Krieger barrel. The only thing you shouldn't be able to do yourself is chamber the barrel, and you should have it all by Christmas. I think that would run you around 4k, scope included.

I wouldn't get a 50 BMG till I had plenty of other rifles I could shoot already, with the price of each bullet and all. If this is your first accuracy rifle, I'd even just get a 700 SPS varmint or SPS tactical and Falcon or Super Sniper, perhaps a HS Precision stock ($900 - $1200 total), and reloading equipment, and run that for a while before you decide to spend a lot of cash on custom equipment. I think you would be able to get the same accuracy if you simply put on a custom barrel and had a good smith chamber the barrel and true the action. I hear people talk about shooting <.5 MOA with bedded SPS Varmints/SPS Tacticals. They seem to be the same as the 700P except from the stock, which can be full length bedded w/ epoxy, or replaced with an aluminum bedding block stock for another $300.00.

At least once a year and sometimes twice a year, GAP usually has 5 or 6 rifles that are somehow unaccounted for or are spec builds and George usually lists them here. But you gotta be quick. You might just want to give George a call. He may have a build almost complete that someone can't afford due to tough times and you could get it without the wait.

Eddie

Hopefully I can decipher your writing. If I attempt to understand what you are saying "out of the smaller .DTC the the bigger BMG?" after fireforming the DTC has a larger case volume. Oh and fill out your profile. Hopefully you are not from the U.S.A. otherwise you should slap all your public school teachers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 99HMC4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1
</div></div>

Okay, who do get "more powerful" out of the smaller .DTC the the bigger BMG? There about the same even with the .DTC case being smaller than BMG.
Anyway why ot be a little better with the spending and get yuor high end .308 and a BOHICA Arms 50 BMG? Could have both if you spend right...</div></div>

I am in agreement with most here on getting a .308 first. If there is a ban you will still be able to get something. Necessity is the mother of invention, and that is why the DTC was invented.

"Hopefully I can decipher your writing. If I attempt to understand what you are saying "out of the smaller .DTC the the bigger BMG?" after fireforming the DTC has a larger case volume. Oh and fill out your profile. Hopefully you are not from the U.S.A. otherwise you should slap all your public school teachers."

I almost choked on my coffee when I read this. Thanks for the the laff.

Having run this gambit, I vote the 308. Heres why I went that way. I decided I wanted to be a good shot. It was a nice bragging right to have a 50BMG and a GAP338LM but although I could afford the rifles, I could only afford ammo once in a while. Doing some math, to become truly proficient with these two rifles would cost in the neighborhood of 22k of factory ammo!!! I decided I would rather have skill than bragging rights and so I sold both and bought a single rifle, a 308. Now I am working on the skill part and can afford to do so
smile.gif

I may not have as much experience as a ton of others here, but I'd go with the Barrett.

If you're worried about a ban coming and want the Barrett someday... get it now!!! You can always get a precision .308 some other day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SNAGLYTOOTH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Honestly! I think you could almost afford to get both rifles on the $8000 budget. If you keep an eye on our clasified section there are always great deals on some nice GAP's. Also if your not dead set on the Barret you will find some very nice single shot 50's with in your budget. I own an ultralite 50 cal upper on a DPMS lower with magpul PRS stock and nightforce 5.5-22x56 for around $3900. I am not going to lie to you this thing flat shoots, very accurate, very fun. Only a single shot though. I also just bought a new Remington SPS tac with Nightforce bases and rings and another nightforce scope all for under $3000. I know they aren't the top of the line customs but they both shoot very well. just my .02 Good Luck. </div></div> He said this quite well. I think you could afford both. Since you don't have a precision bolt, then I think this should be your main focus. This will be used way more and it will be cheaper to shoot, cheaper to find ammo and cheaper to reload.....Ammo is getting scarce and is going up in price.... You can find an Armalight 50 cal for around $2,400-$3,000 (with optics sometimes.) That leaves $5,000 for a bolt gun. You could buy a good custom rifle in any good caliber. I bought mine in 300wsm and I love it..There are many good rigs out there in many good calibers.. Pick the one you like and put a good scope on it and enjoy both.. Have your cake and eat it to....My 2 cents.. If you have a good bolt then give Ronnie Barrett a call in Tenn and he will hook you up. You may have a wait but they are worth it. Nice guy to boot......SmokeRolls

308s are like STDs...you can always get one. Go with the Barrett

lol, just when I had my mind almost made up, several guys recommend the Barrett now. D'oh!

Hmm... with a Barrett I figure I'd probably just shoot no more than 40 rounds a month. (Probably take it out once or twice a month as I only go shooting once every 2 weeks now)

With a .308, I'd honestly probably end up shooting about 80 rounds a month. I guess for you guys, that wouldn't be considered much at all. I'm only able to go shooting about once every 2 weeks and even then, I pick about 1-2 guns to go shooting.

get the 50 and just not a barret and then spend the rest on a solid build out of the classified. there is a cobb repeater in there now for like 3500 i think and 2 premiers just sold for like 1900. that leaves you a good amount for a solid bolt gun. barrets are very nice but your paying for a name. i mean i shot the shit out of the one the army gave me and it was super accurate but i believe most the 50's will do the job

Five questions that would really help you answer your one question.

When you go out with your buds...

1. What rifle(s) do you own and like to shoot?
2. What range(s) do you actually shoot and do you bench it?
3. What is your favorite style of rifle?
4. Do you hunt?
5. Do you reload or do you buy ammo?

and lastly...

6. How many rounds do you see yourself shooting yearly?

Thanks, Rollin'