• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 870 rusts. How to permanently prevent?

bachelorjack

Retired Pirate of Leisure
Minuteman
  • Sep 10, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    www.snipershide.com
    I've got a parkerized looking, matte finished 870. It likes to rust. Unless I keep it slathered in oil, which is problematic and impossible. There has to be a better solution.

I've tried krylon. Which works until it wears off and then the rust is back. Which sucks.
    <span style="font-weight: bold">
    Anyone Melonited, hard chromed, ionbonded, dlc'd or anything similar an assembled 870? Or is my only option more spray and bake finishes?</span>

<span style="font-style: italic">If your 870 doesn't rust, awesome.
    If you have a special oil or grease you slather it in, awesome.</span>
    <span style="text-decoration: underline">I need a non slimy/slippery 870 that likes to rust, to stop doing it.</span>

Re: 870 rusts. How to permanently prevent?

You might want to move this to the gunsmithing section.

Melonite or Ionbond aren't going to prevent rust without oil. Hard chrome, nickel, or a spray and bake on finish will.

I suggest you have it chromed from front to back in matte chrome if you can stand it. Nothing is more durable than hard chrome, no matter what someone has told you.

Before you take that extreme step, though, try wetting the whole gun with CLP and wipe off the CLP. If you get the parkerizing to hold a decent coating of CLP, it won't rust.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Bro...46&categoryString=10612***678***&brandId=1556

I've had good luck with this stuff for preventing rust. I use this but it's in a can like zippo lighter fuild in lieu of spray can but it should work the same bonds to metal and stops rust or really slows it down. I've got a couple of pistols that the slide rust after two coats of this stuff I havn't seen any rust in a couple of years.

Yeah I have huge problems with my 870 Express Tactical in ATACS camo, mostly where they magazine tube is. The weird part is I haven't shot it in the rain yet.

Jack,

The problem with hard platings is that throwing it in all the nooks and crannies takes some real skill at the platers.

I had a similar experience and, honestly, once a parkerized finish pretty much always a parkerized finish.

Call Mark 623-556-8056 and ask him what he would do. He is currently doing all the factory refinishing for H&K in the U.S. and runs one hell of an operation. He is crusty but knows his stuff. He has also seen it all.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/finish/pagefinish.shtml

Send it to someone who can give it a new home in a place with low humidity, like, well, Nevada.

Ever considered Duracoat, Cerekote or a product like that?

Another thing you could try is heating the metal up in an oven and then oiling so that it gets into all the pores of the metal. Keep a solicone or oil rag and make sure you wipe it down after every use. People have been trying to prevent rust on their weapons for hundreds of years and most often the best solution is regular care.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Another thing you could try is heating the metal up in an oven and then oiling so that it gets into all the pores of the metal. Keep a solicone or oil rag and make sure you wipe it down after every use. People have been trying to prevent rust on their weapons for hundreds of years and most often the best solution is regular care. </div></div>

It sees constant use. As things get colder it will be used even more. And it can't be oily to the touch. Or it would ruin every sweatshirt, jacket, polo, shorts, pants, etc that I have. This isn't a hunting gun with a 30" barrel. Think 10" barrel...

I'm sure I could slather it in CLP or eezox or you name it and prevent it from rusting. It just must be dry to the touch because of where it spends majority of its time. That's why I'm looking for a better less messy solution.

Regular maintenance after every use. Comical shit right there...

A good cerakote at Amelon Firearms. Fast and not to expensive.

Brownell's Teflon/ Moly Oven Cure Finish.

I've used it on several firearms and it just plain works. It is very similar in properties to Melonite, as even if the finish wears off the exposed metal will not corrode, since the finish actually penetrates the outer layer of steel and "becomes one" with it. It's also extremely lubricious and eliminates the need for grease on parts which are treated with the coating which contact one another. I use it on a couple of my carry guns so I don't have to grease them...keeps them dry so dirt, dust, hair, etc. doesn't have anything to stick to. And liquids just bead up and roll off.

It's available in several colors, it's reasonably priced, and you can do the job at home.

What i have been doing with my 870 and even my older emington 700s is clean its really well with alchohol and then apply a generous coat of a good hard car wax. let it dry and wipe off the extra. the liquid stuff doesnt realy work. but if you do this u cant wipe it down with oil or you will take the wax back off.

Cerakote H-Series has withstood over 5,000 hours in salt spray tanks and no other firearms finish even comes close to Cerakote for rust resistance.

Duracoat it and be done with it. No baking.

I have the same problem with every 870 I have laid eyes on in Louisiana...

My quick and simple solution? Krylon. Everything.

Black-T/Green-T???

Not cheap I know...slippery when covered in blood.

the finish that Remington puts on the express 870s seem attract rust like crazy. Cerkote would work well. I finished all my 870s in my dept last year and they're in and out the racks everyday and they're holding up great. And we're about a mile from the ocean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    I'm sure I could slather it in CLP or eezox or you name it and prevent it from rusting. It just must be dry to the touch because of where it spends majority of its time. That's why I'm looking for a better less messy solution. </div></div>

It does not need to be slathered in CLP. It can be entirely dry to the touch and still not rust if the oil has been allowed to penetrate into the parkerized finish, which doesn't take much.

Not a permanent fix...

Car wax

I have used it on blued shotguns hunting in the rain.
    Holds up to a good bit of carrying but not to a lot of shooting.

Have Fun!
    Kev

If you want to keep the factory finish and don't want it to feel oily, use Eezox. It dries to a waxy coat and will last a few months. Personally, I hated my 870 always being rusty. I could watch it rust while sitting in a duck blind in the salt water. I prepped it really well then put about 4 coats of Rustoleum engine enamel on it. The stuff that's rated to 1000 F. It's a whole lot tougher than regular krylon.

If you don't want to paint it, try Corrosion-X. It goes on like a light oil but you can wipe excess off after an hour or so. I have a jointer and planer beds that are uncoated steel. They will rust in a few hours if left bare. A coat of Corrossion-X left overnight then wiped off keeps them rust free for about 6 months. I don't get any residue on the wood either, which is crucial for woodworking as it can mess up wood finishes.

I use it on my firearms and have no rust issues. Then again I haven't given any of them the Louisiana test.

Corrosion-X

It used to be harder to find, but now I see it in some Ace Hardwares.

Also, don't get the one labeled 'for guns', it's the same stuff in more expensive packaging.

Birdsong

The price list shows $185 for autos and pumps. A lot of people would scoff at that price but it sounds like this is a gun that sees daily use. And if you're not into the two tone you can go straight black too.

Birdsong Picture Gallery

Be prepared to wait forever if you go with Birdsong, I know I did.

I have experienced great results with Ceracoat.

I just started playing around with Eezox and am impressed so far. The Eezox dries to the firearm and does not stay wet if you wipe off the excess after application.
    Following a few camping trips the rifles that usually become rusty have remained rust free so far.

+1 also for wax. Its old school but it works. I made a WWII wax concoction of beeswax, turpentine, and boiled linseed oil. I use it on wooden rifle stocks, field rifles, and tools.

Is it parkerized ? or just look's like it

If it is you need to keep it oiled , not soaking in oil just oil it and wipe it down so it's dry to touch it should not leave oil on your clothes .

But I also see you have painted it so I don't know how that will affect it .