• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

9mm Bolt Action Rifle - Looking for people with experience with the manufacturer (Curtis Tactical)

Still waiting on my stock mods to be completed. Haven't been able to shoot mine. Anxious to try it out!

Would you mind providing a little more detail about how it wasn't what you hoped it was going to be?
Does not feed or eject well. Needs a bit more refinement.

Reactions: Franko
Got it in the shop and played with it a bit, It needs to be cycled quickly to eject. Once I started doing that, the ejection problem went away.

I've been working with Curtis Tactical on some fitment modifications of the mag block with a Manners stock with mini chassis. They have been 100% responsive and super helpful.

I would bet if there's even a little bit of an extraction issue, they would be all over it given my experience so far.

I have one in 9mm. Waiting for a mod to the extractor. Other interesting observation - even 147 grain 9mm goes supersonic in 16". Hadn't expected that, so the integral could be a must, assuming I can get the feeding 100%. Need to check stock dimensions to see if the integral makes more sense than an SBR and semi-dedicated PCC can. I've got mine set up as a centerfire trainer in an old HS stock. I think it will likely be one of my favorite guns once I can get everything dialed in correctly. The market has been sorely needing a 700 based trainer that is quiet and suited to 50-300 yard work. Couple that with the fact that 9mm is easier to get/reload than .22, and in some cases almost as cheap...

Has anyone put one of these CT suppressed rifles in a JTAC chassis? I'd like to confirm the 1.2" tube will fit the hand guard.

If it’s the same one, Curtis Tactical is big on silencertalk. He’s given advice on some of my projects. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy from him. Special Interest Arms made a 9 Mm bolt action delisle copy off of the RIA 22tcm. I made one a couple years ago. Didn’t copy the delisle, just a 16” barrel I threaded to attach one of my suppressors

Yes, it's the same one. This forum is just a lot more active than SilencerTalk

Sent mine back and got a refund because It wouldn't feed or eject properly. I think he is going to change to a push feed instead of controlled round feed. Seems like a really nice guy and I hope he gets it figured out.

These still a thing? Had a guy want me to build one of my glorious unicorns for him but I don’t have the time, or real desire, so I steered him towards one of these. He sent me a message sayin their websight is gone?

Looks like maybe they just let the hosting lapse? At least I hope so. This is from his FB post on May 10th.

Attachments

• CTSR.jpg
    CTSR.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 71
I haven't fully tested mine as of yet. I did have to send it in to have the mag block fitted to the Manners stock I had. The barricade stop built into the Manners mag well didn't allow the mag block to be seated high enough.

I received it back some time ago still need to resize the action screws and test a bit more but initial assessment is that the bolt hits the top of the magazine too heavily causing the bolt to drag and as a result, feels really stiff. Can't say for sure till I get it all together properly and run a magazine through it.

This seems fucking retarded. Just buy a damn 22. It doesn’t really have much worse ballistics, it’s even cheaper to shoot, zero recoil, and they actually feed.

Sent mine back and got a refund because It wouldn't feed or eject properly. I think he is going to change to a push feed instead of controlled round feed. Seems like a really nice guy and I hope he gets it figured out.
Ok, thats a huge update. I had encourage him to look at push feed as opposed to control feed. I'd love to get this thing working, but as it is, it basically is just sitting in the safe. With mine, the ejector would often just punch through the rim of the cartridge, if everything wasn't perfectly aligned. I desperately want a 9mm bolt trainer, especially with how ammo prices have gone.

Reactions: Franko
This seems fucking retarded. Just buy a damn 22. It doesn’t really have much worse ballistics, it’s even cheaper to shoot, zero recoil, and they actually feed.
We're not looking for zero recoil, and decent .22 LR isn't much cheaper than 9mm in my neck of the woods. Plus 9mm has a longer effective range for how I plan on using it. I want the ability to train quietly, not not spend 300 BO prices.

We're not looking for zero recoil, and decent .22 LR isn't much cheaper than 9mm in my neck of the woods. Plus 9mm has a longer effective range for how I plan on using it. I want the ability to train quietly, not not spend 300 BO prices.

What training are you doing with a 9mm bolt gun that you can’t do with a 22?

Unless you’re talking the high end Lapua stuff 22 match ammo can be had for like 25% of the price of bulk 9mm FMJ. Ammo that will shoot .5” groups at 50 yards… you’re not doing that with bulk 9mm.

Reactions: Blue72
What training are you doing with a 9mm bolt gun that you can’t do with a 22?

Unless you’re talking the high end Lapua stuff 22 match ammo can be had for like 25% of the price of bulk 9mm FMJ. Ammo that will shoot .5” groups at 50 yards… you’re not doing that with bulk 9mm.
I started this whole thread because I bumped into a 9mm rifle and thought it was interesting for the following reasons:
  1. Good 22 LR ammo is anywhere from 25 cents to 40 cents a round which is in the same price range as plenty of 9mm ammo
  2. I have lots of 9mm ammo on hand so I thought it was kinda cool that one cartridge can be used for multiple things
  3. It uses Glock mags which are cheap and widely available
  4. If someone is shooting suppressed (I can't because I am a CA resident) it will provide much better terminal performance than 22 LR
All in all, I thought it looked interesting. Still considering buying one if he gets all the bugs worked out.

I started this whole thread because I bumped into a 9mm rifle and thought it was interesting for the following reasons:
  1. Good 22 LR ammo is anywhere from 25 cents to 40 cents a round which is in the same price range as plenty of 9mm ammo
  2. I have lots of 9mm ammo on hand so I thought it was kinda cool that one cartridge can be used for multiple things
  3. It uses Glock mags which are cheap and widely available
  4. If someone is shooting suppressed (I can't because I am a CA resident) it will provide much better terminal performance than 22 LR
All in all, I thought it looked interesting. Still considering buying one if he gets all the bugs worked out.

Again, quoting absolute premium 22 prices and comparing it to shitty 9mm, that’s not a fair comparison. If you think any 9mm other than maybe lapua is going to shoot as accurately as high quality 22 then you’re sadly mistaken. Also you can find plenty of very good 22 like Norma match and tac, CCI SV, Eley target, Wolf, etc for $.10/rd or less. Quality brass case 9mm is currently running $.30-40/round right now and it’s far from match ammo. It’s not the same price.

Reactions: Blue72
Again, quoting absolute premium 22 prices and comparing it to shitty 9mm, that’s not a fair comparison. If you think any 9mm other than maybe lapua is going to shoot as accurately as high quality 22 then you’re sadly mistaken. Also you can find plenty of very good 22 like Norma match and tac, CCI SV, Eley target, Wolf, etc for $.10/rd or less. Quality brass case 9mm is currently running $.30-40/round right now and it’s far from match ammo. It’s not the same price.
I have no idea how 9mm, shitty or otherwise would shoot compared to 22LR but was curious to find out. It also would be fun to see just how good I could roll my own 9mm, perhaps I can even beat the high end 22 stuff for cheaper. After all, I already own all the gear for my rifle reloading.

You're right, based purely on cost 22LR beats 9mm. But that doesn't mean a really accurate 9mm bolt action wouldn't be a blast to own.

I have never seen a 9mm rifle or carbine that could shoot tiny groups at 100 yards or even 50 yards.

it might be fine for practical accuracy, but it sucks for precision work….even with expensive MP5’s and Ar-9’s

I can see the benefit as a cheaper substitute for 300 blackout, but after seeing 6-8 inch groups with 9mm PCC….300 Blackout or 22lr becomes better alternatives

While I was waiting I had Bullberry make me a 16" 9mm barrel for my T/C. Accuracy with Federal 147 was awful as was 124, and 115 cheap s&B. Oddly, 127+P+ Winchester isn't bad with groups around 1" at 35 yards. I ordered a reamer and some brass to take it out to 9x23 and try the 165gr bullets for .350 legend, but honestly .300 BO beats 9mm anyway you want to look at it. Just another paper weight in the safe.

I played with squeezing the most accuracy of of 9x19 ammo when I was shooting PPC and trying to keep 50 yard groups under 1 inch from a 1911.

Try Power Pistol or N340 as a powder and push the bullets fast. Low end velocities dont work well.

It’s your ammo that’s holding back your accuracy. Not usually your rifle. Especially when it comes to your pistol calibers. Because you don’t have a grasp on how pistol ammo is loaded commercially.

I went down the rabbit hole almost 20yrs ago.

Xtps and n320 In new brass with whatever primer. Follow the same practices with your rifle ammo.

It’s your ammo that’s holding back your accuracy. Not usually your rifle. Especially when it comes to your pistol calibers. Because you don’t have a grasp on how pistol ammo is loaded commercially.

I went down the rabbit hole almost 20yrs ago.

Xtps and n320 In new brass with whatever primer. Follow the same practices with your rifle ammo.
Only to a certain degree, I have plenty of .22lr rifles or .223's that will shoot remarkably well regardless of what crap ammo you put in them. Can’t say the same for 9mm PCC's except for oddball exceptions like Wilsons ar-9

I like the idea of a 9mm bolt gun. I however think it is oversized on a 700 platform. I am working on a Remington 582 9mm conversion that I believe is a much more appropriate sized action.
Get a spanish destroyed in 9 largo and have gunsmith set back the chamber to 9mm para and you are done. I have an original 9para. it is super quiet and very accurate with 147s subs .

Get a spanish destroyed in 9 largo and have gunsmith set back the chamber to 9mm para and you are done. I have an original 9para. it is super quiet and very accurate with 147s subs .
Since we’re fuckstarting an old thread, why not just load 9 largo? You can buy new production brass

It's been too long since I've given an update and to be honest, I was a bit frustrated with the fitment of the magblock and magazine to the bolt in my Manners stock and just stepped away from it for a while.

I took some time this evening and worked on the receiver bolts to get them to the correct length and created several stainless shims to sit between the receiver and the bedding of the stock and I have it mostly functional now. One more set of shims and it would likely fit perfect, but it's an annoying process so I'll work with what I have for now.

If it's not raining tomorrow, I'll likely try to throw a few shots down the range and see how it goes.

Reactions: Mrindecisive
It's been too long since I've given an update and to be honest, I was a bit frustrated with the fitment of the magblock and magazine to the bolt in my Manners stock and just stepped away from it for a while.

I took some time this evening and worked on the receiver bolts to get them to the correct length and created several stainless shims to sit between the receiver and the bedding of the stock and I have it mostly functional now. One more set of shims and it would likely fit perfect, but it's an annoying process so I'll work with what I have for now.

If it's not raining tomorrow, I'll likely try to throw a few shots down the range and see how it goes.
IMG_0209.jpeg

Reactions: ESBVader
Anyone get one of these running yet? Mine is still in the safe...

I built one on a lithgow la101 a while ago. Originally a 22lr. Worked fine.

Mag obvioisly needed mods, but it worked.

@Reuben. 100% - 300 Black is an infinitely better caliber except cost. I'd like to be able to run centerfire through my bolt gun for 15-25 cents a round. Subsonic 300 Black is usually 1.25+ per round in my AO. For the same reasons that 22 ELR is fun for people, I'd like to play with 9mm at distance. Anyway, I had super high hopes that the Curtis would be the answer, but not yet.

I think the issue is that there just isn't a market for something like this yet...

I think it would be fun to run a bolt-gun 9mm much in the same way guys do with their .22LR rigs in NRL22.

Except with 9mm, it'd be better as an actual trainer IMO as even bunny-fart loads would at least have a little recoil one could actually feel versus zero with a 20lb NRL22 rig.

I take my USPSA PCC hot-rod out to a plate at 100yrds with just a red dot now and then and the sucker is accurate... might be fun to throw a scope on it sometime and see what exactly I can hit with it and how far...?

I think there's a market especially for an OEM mass produced gun instead of a higher end custom. If Ruger made an American in 9mm that used good mags they'd sell a few. Even in the price range of the 77's I think they'd have a bit of a market.

Reactions: LimaKilo